Mother in law experiences #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mine has just come round uninvited yet again, noticed my other half doing some gardening and has now set up camp and started pulling out weeds. I should really be laughing that she's become our own personal gardener we didn't ask for but I'm working from home and I think she's only doing it just to make me feel bad :( It's such odd behaviour.
Not my MIL but my FIL is like a loon when it comes to our garden. He's obsessed with the grass and putting seed down, deweeding the path and weeding the borders at the front. He'll harass my husband about it all summer long but will start in Spring talking about prep work then again in September about getting it all sorted for winter. On the one hand it's great not to have to think about it but on the other he's constantly putting pressure on you to have things a certain way and has been known to hack away at things he's specifically been told to leave alone and kill them 🙄

• Wow
Reactions: 4
QUOTE="Rxt156, post: 5951861, member: 78351"]
I think my MIL has crazy potential and when the baby comes I think it’ll come out in the open!

Not a big deal but she offered everyone a drink when we were at her house I said ooo yes tea please! She said with a tone are you allowed to drink tea when pregnant???? I said yes I’ve had hardly any caffeine today, she said are you sure???

YES woman I am bloody sure. I’m having a cup of tea not a gin & tonic now pour it or get out of the way and I’ll do it! As if I’d put my baby in danger over a brew.
[/QUOTE]

Ffs, I hate this idea that everyone is allowed to tell you what you can eat or drink when pregnant. You should have said "Yeah, it will have to be tea, I've already used up my gin allowance for the week".

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Never forget when I was in labour with my daughter. Mother in law, father in law, sister in law, Brother in law and his girlfriend were all in the waiting room. I'm all for being a "supportive family" but my OH kept going out and checking on them 😂 Apparently FIL got told off for looking through the glass into the labour ward hallway.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
I think my MIL has crazy potential and when the baby comes I think it’ll come out in the open!

Not a big deal but she offered everyone a drink when we were at her house I said ooo yes tea please! She said with a tone are you allowed to drink tea when pregnant???? I said yes I’ve had hardly any caffeine today, she said are you sure???

YES woman I am bloody sure. I’m having a cup of tea not a gin & tonic now pour it or get out of the way and I’ll do it! As if I’d put my baby in danger over a brew.
Omg! I had something similar with mine when I was pregnant. We went to visit and I was only offered water by her. When we nipped to the shop I picked up an iced coffee and she was questioning me like I was necking neat vodka.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I think I’ve found my thread 😂 Not married but my partner’s mum drives me absolutely barmy, and I’d be quite happy to go no-contact with her. Just a rude person who picks on everything we do. Took her and her partner out for dinner and she complained about the walk to the pub (I offered to drive, they said no so we could share a bottle of wine), the wait for a table and the fact that I didn’t book (it’s normally not busy and we only waited 20 minutes anyway), the food prices, the food itself, the fact that we decided to have starters, and basically kept saying spoons is better. Alright, next time we’ll just take you to a bloody spoons then instead of a nice pub where the meal is freshly made, sorry for being nice 🙄🙄 there’s so much more but I’ll save them for other posts otherwise I’ll be here all day lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I think I’ve found my thread 😂 Not married but my partner’s mum drives me absolutely barmy, and I’d be quite happy to go no-contact with her. Just a rude person who picks on everything we do. Took her and her partner out for dinner and she complained about the walk to the pub (I offered to drive, they said no so we could share a bottle of wine), the wait for a table and the fact that I didn’t book (it’s normally not busy and we only waited 20 minutes anyway), the food prices, the food itself, the fact that we decided to have starters, and basically kept saying spoons is better. Alright, next time we’ll just take you to a bloody spoons then instead of a nice pub where the meal is freshly made, sorry for being nice 🙄🙄 there’s so much more but I’ll save them for other posts otherwise I’ll be here all day lol
Mine does this but only when I organise something !!

we could take her to the ritz but if I booked the table the steak will be overdone , the wine won’t be to her taste and the ambiance will be off

whereas if she booked a table at spoons , the sticky tables would give it “charm” and the food would be the best thing she’s ever had 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Mine does this but only when I organise something !!

we could take her to the ritz but if I booked the table the steak will be overdone , the wine won’t be to her taste and the ambiance will be off

whereas if she booked a table at spoons , the sticky tables would give it “charm” and the food would be the best thing she’s ever had 🤣

Not my MIL but my dad is this person! I’ll treat him to a slap up meal and without fail, every single time he will say.. “it’s not as good as the surf and turf you can get at the hungry horse down the road from me” 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Mine isn't speaking to me for now, it won't last she will want something at some point. My crime is that I wouldn't give notice to a family who rent a flat from me in her block. She doesn't like them. She does like another neighbour who seems willing to do the odd job for her. He's had notice to leave but doesn't want to leave the area. She told him that she would get me to give notice to the family so he could stay, more like do more jobs for her, he'll owe the favour forever. The family are happy there, pay rent on time she is the only one who has a problem with them, so no I will not make them leave just to house her future, free handyman. Her last words to me were 'but I've already told him, you can tell him he can't'. Not my problem.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Mine isn't speaking to me for now, it won't last she will want something at some point. My crime is that I wouldn't give notice to a family who rent a flat from me in her block. She doesn't like them. She does like another neighbour who seems willing to do the odd job for her. He's had notice to leave but doesn't want to leave the area. She told him that she would get me to give notice to the family so he could stay, more like do more jobs for her, he'll owe the favour forever. The family are happy there, pay rent on time she is the only one who has a problem with them, so no I will not make them leave just to house her future, free handyman. Her last words to me were 'but I've already told him, you can tell him he can't'. Not my problem.
The cheek of her!

Reactions: 7
Not my MIL but my dad is this person! I’ll treat him to a slap up meal and without fail, every single time he will say.. “it’s not as good as the surf and turf you can get at the hungry horse down the road from me” 😂
This is totally my dad too 🤣 My mum took us all out for a nice meal for his 50th, it was amazing. In the car on the way home she asked if he enjoyed it and he shrugged and said it was alright. My mum went mental and declared she'd never take him out for a nice meal again.....he's now 76 and has held firm on that! He would happily go for the spoons option every time, he's the very definition of a tight Scotsman 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Grandchildren always bring out the crazy in MIL's

• Heart
We’re going on a little seaside break at the start of September before our third baby comes in December and we’re going with my mum, dad and older brother and my partner hadn’t told my mil and I hadn’t said anything neither as I didn’t think it was really my place and it never came up in conversation and if I was the one to tell her she’d probably see it as me boasting about it or something bizarre but I ended up messaging her anyway and telling her this evening as she was asking me what I got from shopping with my mum (again super nosey 🙄) and I said just some bits for the girls and then I went into us going away etcccc and straight away she replied ‘where’s that???’ ‘How you getting there?’ Like excuse me how does she bloody think 😒 then she didn’t reply for ages so presumed she was ranting to my partner but he hadn’t heard from her then she eventually replied saying ‘nice xx’ and then I was saying we wanted to go somewhere with the girls before the baby comes and she’s replied with ‘Hopefully get away with us next year hey would love to go seaside never been beach build sandcastles with them hey? Xxxx’ like for god sake everything’s just a competition with her she can’t be happy that we’re going anywhere it’s literally 4 days. I swear if she books anything now I will go crazy I wouldn’t last a day with them!!

• Wow
We’re going on a little seaside break at the start of September before our third baby comes in December and we’re going with my mum, dad and older brother and my partner hadn’t told my mil and I hadn’t said anything neither as I didn’t think it was really my place and it never came up in conversation and if I was the one to tell her she’d probably see it as me boasting about it or something bizarre but I ended up messaging her anyway and telling her this evening as she was asking me what I got from shopping with my mum (again super nosey 🙄) and I said just some bits for the girls and then I went into us going away etcccc and straight away she replied ‘where’s that???’ ‘How you getting there?’ Like excuse me how does she bloody think 😒 then she didn’t reply for ages so presumed she was ranting to my partner but he hadn’t heard from her then she eventually replied saying ‘nice xx’ and then I was saying we wanted to go somewhere with the girls before the baby comes and she’s replied with ‘Hopefully get away with us next year hey would love to go seaside never been beach build sandcastles with them hey? Xxxx’ like for god sake everything’s just a competition with her she can’t be happy that we’re going anywhere it’s literally 4 days. I swear if she books anything now I will go crazy I wouldn’t last a day with them!!
My MIL is exactly like this ……and she books things too to compete. Madness.

Reactions: 4
Oh my MIL is driving me insane this week.

To give some background I have a very rocky relationship with her. I’ll explain a few things and then go on to discuss why she’s pissed me off this week. So pre kids when we had just been in a relationship before we were even married but moved in together, we went on holiday and asked her to water our plants while we were away. She took it upon herself to redecorate our living room in an entirely different colour scheme, new sofa, new ornaments everything was different. She didnt ask, she just done it. I told her I appreciate her buying us things but that I didn’t like what she bought and didn’t want her to redecorate my home and felt it crossed the line. She told me I shouldn’t knock a gift horse in the mouth.

After we got married and found out we were pregnant she decided to take it upon herself when I was 5 weeks pregnant, to order a cot, a pram, a baby bath, a car seat, all without asking if we liked them or anything. This was our first baby. We wanted to pick everything. We wanted to wait until we’d had the pregnancy confirmed as at 5 weeks we only had a positive home pregnancy test. I told her there and then that she could either keep all the stuff for herself or send it back because this is my baby and I want to pick it’s first big items and I want to wait until I feel comfortable to buy anything. She took a massive strop wouldn’t speak to us for 3 weeks. Yet I’m supposed to be the hormonal pregnant one 🤷‍♀️

So now I’ve set the scene. Over the years she’s become a bit more bearable as I’ve laid down the boundaries. However this week I asked her to look after my two children 2 days for 2 hours each day. Day one she takes the kids and when I arrive to collect them my daughter tells me my son fell and banged his head and was crying and very sad. I asked her did he fall and she went red and said yea she didn’t want to worry me. Wtf. She then got really ratty telling me how I need to clean my daughters glasses because they were all smeared, I said of course they’re smeared she touches them constantly!!! We do clean them regularly but my god she’s a child constantly touching her face they’re not going to be perfect. She told me I was worsening her vision. She’s the same one who told me I was stupid taking her to the opticians so young 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 turns out her vision is incredibly poor and she’s on the strongest prescription but ok!

Second day I reluctantly gave her the kids and when I collected them she said oh he fell again he doesn’t listen to me I told him not to climb on the counter but he just done it anyway. HES 2 OF COURSE HE DOESNT LISTEN YOUR JOB IS TO WATCH HIM. she then made snotty remarks about how I needed to get his haircut because it’s looking very long and it would be heavy on him. He had it cut 2 weeks ago!!!!! God I’m fuming.
Feel better getting it out though 😝

• Wow
Reactions: 24
My MIL is exactly like this ……and she books things too to compete. Madness.
Oh no I really hope she doesn’t. It’s been booked a while now and I thought if we’d told her sooner she definitely would have planned something with them before we go so she feels like she’s got the upper hand.
Also my sister in law has just moved out and my mil has said she’s going to put a bed in there for the girls when they stay over 🤯 sorry what?! when they’re older I don’t mind if me and my partner are staying somewhere for the night but only if it’s completely necessary and my mum would always be our first option that’s just how I feel

Reactions: 3

To give some background I have a very rocky relationship with her. I’ll explain a few things and then go on to discuss why she’s pissed me off this week. So pre kids when we had just been in a relationship before we were even married but moved in together, we went on holiday and asked her to water our plants while we were away. She took it upon herself to redecorate our living room in an entirely different colour scheme, new sofa, new ornaments everything was different. She didnt ask, she just done it. I told her I appreciate her buying us things but that I didn’t like what she bought and didn’t want her to redecorate my home and felt it crossed the line. She told me I shouldn’t knock a gift horse in the mouth.

After we got married and found out we were pregnant she decided to take it upon herself when I was 5 weeks pregnant, to order a cot, a pram, a baby bath, a car seat, all without asking if we liked them or anything. This was our first baby. We wanted to pick everything. We wanted to wait until we’d had the pregnancy confirmed as at 5 weeks we only had a positive home pregnancy test. I told her there and then that she could either keep all the stuff for herself or send it back because this is my baby and I want to pick it’s first big items and I want to wait until I feel comfortable to buy anything. She took a massive strop wouldn’t speak to us for 3 weeks. Yet I’m supposed to be the hormonal pregnant one 🤷‍♀️

So now I’ve set the scene. Over the years she’s become a bit more bearable as I’ve laid down the boundaries. However this week I asked her to look after my two children 2 days for 2 hours each day. Day one she takes the kids and when I arrive to collect them my daughter tells me my son fell and banged his head and was crying and very sad. I asked her did he fall and she went red and said yea she didn’t want to worry me. Wtf. She then got really ratty telling me how I need to clean my daughters glasses because they were all smeared, I said of course they’re smeared she touches them constantly!!! We do clean them regularly but my god she’s a child constantly touching her face they’re not going to be perfect. She told me I was worsening her vision. She’s the same one who told me I was stupid taking her to the opticians so young 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 turns out her vision is incredibly poor and she’s on the strongest prescription but ok!

Second day I reluctantly gave her the kids and when I collected them she said oh he fell again he doesn’t listen to me I told him not to climb on the counter but he just done it anyway. HES 2 OF COURSE HE DOESNT LISTEN YOUR JOB IS TO WATCH HIM. she then made snotty remarks about how I needed to get his haircut because it’s looking very long and it would be heavy on him. He had it cut 2 weeks ago!!!!! God I’m fuming.
The first two paragraphs of this actually made me spit my tea out. Jesus Christ. I cannot fathom ever being like that in life….ever!!?!())! Redecorating your living room? The actual duck 🤣🤣🤣 what a psychopath.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
The first two paragraphs of this actually made me spit my tea out. Jesus Christ. I cannot fathom ever being like that in life….ever!!?!())! Redecorating your living room? The actual duck 🤣🤣🤣 what a psychopath.
I remember being so traumatised. I went into work after annual leave and everyone was asking me how my holiday was and I was too pissed off about my living room being ruined 🤣 My living room at the time was beautiful. Our sofa was only 8 months old we hadn’t been there that long! The colour scheme I had was bright and airy neutral colours with creams and a pop of pastel blue , she changed it all to black and orange. It repulsed me. I felt like sneaking into her house and papering her walls with all the paper I had to rip off to get rid of her stamp 😂

I remember every time she used to visit when I wasn’t home (she was visiting my husband) she would clean and move around the ornaments in a way that suited her. WHO DOES THAT!!!! 🤯🤯🤯

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
My MIL has changed my home decor too while she was babysitting for us. My home is very beige and I don’t really like bright colours, I have brown sofas, beige carpets and rug, pampas grass instead of flowers and white/beige/brown ornaments etc. We came home after our weekend away and she had bought a house plant and a metal fruit bowl and a green throw from the charity shop, said my living room was too dull for her. I was horrified but my partner said she was trying to be nice 😶

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I remember being so traumatised. I went into work after annual leave and everyone was asking me how my holiday was and I was too pissed off about my living room being ruined 🤣 My living room at the time was beautiful. Our sofa was only 8 months old we hadn’t been there that long! The colour scheme I had was bright and airy neutral colours with creams and a pop of pastel blue , she changed it all to black and orange. It repulsed me. I felt like sneaking into her house and papering her walls with all the paper I had to rip off to get rid of her stamp 😂

I remember every time she used to visit when I wasn’t home (she was visiting my husband) she would clean and move around the ornaments in a way that suited her. WHO DOES THAT!!!! 🤯🤯🤯
She sounds absolutely mental, and black and orange?! Does she love Halloween 😵😵

• Haha

So heavy he keeps falling over 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.