Mother in law experiences #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mine cried to me last night because I've not told my sister in law (who has been horrible to me for the past 8 years) about a big life event I've got going on. I explained my reasons for not wanting to tell said SIL, that all she does is criticise, she won't be happy for me etc, and my MIL replied "she has a right to know about your life". Sorry hun, she lost that right when she decided to spend 8 years being awful to me.
What? she has a right to know about your life"? Even if she has been nice, she still doesn’t have that right. What planet are these people on? Have they all been beamed up?

Reactions: 21
What? she has a right to know about your life"? Even if she has been nice, she still doesn’t have that right. What planet are these people on? Have they all been beamed up?
she was genuinely in hysterical tears saying how it's unfair that I'm excluding her daughter from my life. I have every right to decide who I share my private information with, whether it's her daughter or not. Also, note she didn't make these same comments to her son, who has also made the decision not to tell his sister our business!!

• Wow
Reactions: 19
I haven't had a decent moan about my MIL I'm ages 🤣

She is lovely and we get on really well but she also drives me crackers! They've been away for the last few months but came back this week so I've had full force of her opinions.

We're getting a puppy in the next few weeks, same breed as H had growing up and she's already started with the you must do this/not do this as if she's the only one who has ever had a dog. She was also trying to use the same nickname they had for their dog for ours....that was swiftly shut down. Just no, our dog not yours lady.

Due to new dog we're also changing our car so it's more practical. As they've been away I've been using her car and liked it so much we've bought the same. I was told at great length about how it was a diesel and we had to make sure we gave it a good run often so it wouldn't cause issues. Wouldn't have minded so much if I didn't already have a diesel car and the 2 cars before that had been diesels....oh and even if I didn't, I've been using her car to make sure it didn't have any issues!

Reactions: 11
My MIL trundles along, usually quite placid, but she had a massive hissy fit when we refused to add 8 of her friends to our wedding reception. Numbers were already tight and we had cut family from the invite list. But aye, MIL you invite your drinking buddies I've never clapped eyes on before 🙄

She added a whole lot of pain to what was already becoming a quite stressful event. Even my mum who avoids conflict of any kind was getting annoyed by it all.

Reactions: 17
Mine cried to me last night because I've not told my sister in law (who has been horrible to me for the past 8 years) about a big life event I've got going on. I explained my reasons for not wanting to tell said SIL, that all she does is criticise, she won't be happy for me etc, and my MIL replied "she has a right to know about your life". Sorry hun, she lost that right when she decided to spend 8 years being awful to me.
I hate the whole “they’re your relative so they have an automatic right to know XYZ or be invited to XYZ”. It’s bullshit. Blood or marriage does not mean regardless of how you treat someone you have any say or right to anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I hate the whole “they’re your relative so they have an automatic right to know XYZ or be invited to XYZ”. It’s bullshit. Blood or marriage does not mean regardless of how you treat someone you have any say or right to anything.
Fully agree with this!!!!! I hate how family are feel like they have to know every single detail and be involved!!!

Reactions: 11
Sounds like you don't owe the SIL anything hun! Stick to your guns. And the MIL is out of order by saying that sil has a right to know!! Like wtf!!??? Warped or what??!!

So just an update.... I wrote 'to NANA in the thank you card to the MIL ,not man man or whatever it was she wanted to be called! God knows how she's taken it,half expected a text asking me about it. Got to see her on Tuesday so be interesting to see what she says
......but god it felt soooo good writing it!! I really didn't want to give in to her demands!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
My MIL announced shes moving back to Ireland in April 2023, it would be April 2022 but she's just signed another years mortgage to get a better rate. That will soon fly around 🥳🥳🥳🥳 I will get the bunting and streamers at the ready 🥳🥳🥳. She thinks I'll be sending my children over on an aeroplane by themselves to visit her for the summer 🤔 I think not!

The end is in sight 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
My MIL announced shes moving back to Ireland in April 2023, it would be April 2022 but she's just signed another years mortgage to get a better rate. That will soon fly around 🥳🥳🥳🥳 I will get the bunting and streamers at the ready 🥳🥳🥳. She thinks I'll be sending my children over on an aeroplane by themselves to visit her for the summer 🤔 I think not!

The end is in sight 🤣
I wish mine would move to another country. Or in her case bleep-ry ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Mine invited herself over this week for dinner. It’s our anniversary so we’ve said not this week, next week. She’s now gone silent. Annoyed that we aren’t changing our plans for her. 🙄 we work full time and have kids to look after. Midweek is not convenient, particularly when she wants to be waited on constantly.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Ooh just noticed this thread, I have a few!

When we got engaged, my MiL took one look at the ring and said “it’s showy” that was it. (It is an emerald cut diamond so very plain actually)

When she stays, she washes our clothes without asking and hangs them out - smalls and all - and if we hide them from her which we have done - she searches for them.

She brings all her own food when she comes - everything. Won’t eat any of our food.

I was going toa wedding one time and she said I could get something made if therewas nothing in the shop to fit me (I was between a 14 and 16 at the time)

and on and on ....

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Mine insisted that we pop in to see her today as sh
Ooh just noticed this thread, I have a few!

When we got engaged, my MiL took one look at the ring and said “it’s showy” that was it. (It is an emerald cut diamond so very plain actually)

When she stays, she washes our clothes without asking and hangs them out - smalls and all - and if we hide them from her which we have done - she searches for them.

She brings all her own food when she comes - everything. Won’t eat any of our food.

I was going toa wedding one time and she said I could get something made if therewas nothing in the shop to fit me (I was between a 14 and 16 at the time)

and on and on ....
My mother brings her own food - right down to her own tea bags and biscuits (just enough for her). It's so bloody rude! I have asked her time and time not to do this - I even tried getting in brand new boxes of her preferred tea and biscuits and serving them to her unopened, but she wouldn't touch them. Just one of the many reasons she's no longer invited to our home.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
My (soon to be) mother in law is usually a babe but omg an event last week
So background, me and my fiance got engaged back in 2019, and we both wanted a Vegas wedding in 2020 with noone there, all fine
It got cancelled twice, and then 2/3 weeks ago we made the decision to cancel everything Vegas related and do one in the UK instead - I'd already booked a back, up date in a registry office just incase

So, we managed to book and pay for literally EVERYTHING in about a week, and feeling pretty pleased with ourselves we told his mum when she came round for tea the week after we'd done everything - so it had literally ben 10 days since we'd done everything, wrote out a plan etc so it was all boxed off in my head, the detailed plan of the day had been done and everyone who needed to be aware of the getting ready plan was aware of the getting ready plan - so bridesmaids and groomsmen.

We're giving her a brief overview of what we've got planned, I would have gone more indepth but I mentioned how I'd gotten 10 clear dome umbrellas of eBay for the bridesmaids and groomsmen and that launched her into talking about her collection of umbrellas she uses for standing on the path at school - she's a headteacher so no matter what you say she'll related it to a school story and go on about it for about 20 mins.

She leaves, then at about 10:30 that night one of my bridesmaids, who is my fiance's sister and still lives with their mum, messaged me saying how the mum was upset that the plan was so vague, and that she doesn't know what she's meant to be doing the morning of, how she has invited herself around to the house the morning of so me or one of the bridesmaids can do her hair and make up (we're all pretty good at make up and hair so we're just doing our own) and how "this wedding needs some organisation" and how her and sister bridesmaid need to come up with the plan for the morning of - witch I am a project manager I have a detailed plan for the morning split into 15 minute sections, and everyone who is involved in it is aware of it! Plus the plan was signed off in my head so it wasn't at the forefront of my mind to discuss every tiny detail

I was proper raging, like I literally couldn't sleep - one of the reasons we were going to Vegas was to avoid any of this drama, plus she hates my FIL so if she DARES be a snooty cow she's getting told to leave

I am calm now but my God it was the worst weekend of my life thinking about it - I almost threw my dummy out the pram and said noone bar the witnesses are coming!

Extra annoying since how all my friends, our dads and siblings etc have been like "we're just made up we actually get to see you get married in real life instead of on a screen", and she's there picking holes in anything and everything.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Mine has just come round uninvited yet again, noticed my other half doing some gardening and has now set up camp and started pulling out weeds. I should really be laughing that she's become our own personal gardener we didn't ask for but I'm working from home and I think she's only doing it just to make me feel bad :( It's such odd behaviour.

Reactions: 9
My MIL doesn't stop ringing me. Is there any need for multiple conversations a day 😳😳 it kills me. I've just stopped answering but she is a grass and rings her son going 'Mr Watermelon, Watermelon isn't answering me' then he'll come home and have a go at me 🤣 ill deal with him having a go at me if it means I don't have to have an awkward phone convo with her though

• Haha
Reactions: 18
My MIL doesn't stop ringing me. Is there any need for multiple conversations a day 😳😳 it kills me. I've just stopped answering but she is a grass and rings her son going 'Mr Watermelon, Watermelon isn't answering me' then he'll come home and have a go at me 🤣 ill deal with him having a go at me if it means I don't have to have an awkward phone convo with her though
She sounds lonely!

I guess she might be but if I've already spoken to her once I dont need more phone calls throughout the day then a family facetime when my bf gets home from work 😅 i don't speak to my own Mum that much
Yeah she needs to get some friends, or join a club!

Reactions: 1
MIL once again had no respect for our time. Ended up hugely late and disrupting plans to a family night out husband and I organised. She then tried to palm it off as "Oh well you know how I am" I just said at the dinner table that it was incredibly rude of her and FIL to be so late and that I'd know going forward then that being on time for things simply isn't important for them. She was livid. (And yes, if I'm invited for Christmas dinner at her home for 3pm, you best believe I'll be rocking up there at after 5 - she isn't a good cook anyway).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
MIL once again had no respect for our time. Ended up hugely late and disrupting plans to a family night out husband and I organised. She then tried to palm it off as "Oh well you know how I am" I just said at the dinner table that it was incredibly rude of her and FIL to be so late and that I'd know going forward then that being on time for things simply isn't important for them. She was livid. (And yes, if I'm invited for Christmas dinner at her home for 3pm, you best believe I'll be rocking up there at after 5 - she isn't a good cook anyway).
Good for you saying that to her 👏

I guess she might be but if I've already spoken to her once I dont need more phone calls throughout the day then a family facetime when my bf gets home from work 😅 i don't speak to my own Mum that much
Yes that must be really annoying, do you have to facetime every day?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.