MOD & FOD #4 The kids are on show to fund the reno!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, i'm a new commenter but a lurker.

I was taken in by MOD as a new mother but also someone at a crossroads. I really, desperately wanted (and still up to not long ago) wanted to be a midwife. Although i didn't have the qualifications so i couldn't. It made me really sad to see this unattainable dream constantly, although i know realise its not exactly a profession that's made up of fairytales and rainbows.

Everyone shown there is unattainable for any normal family. It is sold a dream, buy this, that and the other and you could also have this happy MOD/FOD life, with gorgeous children and a lovely home. When actually when you do buy anything, its overpriced and just makes you feel sad. Comparison is the route of all evils.

The nail in the coffin for me was a change, like its not even hidden anymore. It used to be more believable that they thought they were like us.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
After seeing the bathroom *renovation* there’s no way on earth I’d follow her lead.

It’s utterly naff .

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I agree with them being good quality (picked one up from a selling site for £10) but at a time when I was quite low and vulnerable these things were being rammed in my face, without any clue they were gifted. Here was this NHS midwife recommending Stokke cots and Sleepyheads, deliveroo was a newborn necessity. The obligatory me time getting £200 Rigby and Pellar bras fitted (😱) Clothes which weren’t too twee for the twins, Zara came up trumps. It just went on and on. And there was me with my one takeaway a year and a rolled towel trying to impersonate a sleepyhead, and a £13 Ikea high chair. Feeling utterly tit about myself. But replying to stories and commenting as it all seemed real.
The rolled up cellular blanket is how sleepyhead was designed! They use it in Nicu. But I hear you I felt the same

Reactions: 4
No midwife should be advocating the use of sleepyheads
I was going to post this. I was told off by my health visitor for having one in my living room for day naps. My boy hated it anyway so he never used it (waste of £140 purchased because Insta mums said it was a required bit of kit 🙄)

I was surprised to see FOD showing the twins not only in Sleepyheads but in some homemade bunk bed contraption in his post the other day!

I was going to post this. I was told off by my health visitor for having one in my living room for day naps. My boy hated it anyway so he never used it (waste of £140 purchased because Insta mums said it was a required bit of kit 🙄)

I was surprised to see FOD showing the twins not only in Sleepyheads but in some homemade bunk bed contraption in his post the other day!
They defend it by saying ‘they’re supervised in it’ are they bollocks.

The rolled up cellular blanket is how sleepyhead was designed! They use it in Nicu. But I hear you I felt the same
Yep that’s why I did it! I had 2 in nicu.
MOD also promoted the easy prep milk machine which filters the water and does not boil it. No health professional should promote it, my daughters paediatrician said they were not advised. And if all you need is filtered water, then why use a fancy machine, just use filtered water 🙄

Yep that’s why I did it! I had 2 in nicu.
MOD also promoted the easy prep milk machine which filters the water and does not boil it. No health professional should promote it, my daughters paediatrician said they were not advised. And if all you need is filtered water, then why use a fancy machine, just use filtered water 🙄
Yeah she was also reprimanded by the trust for an anti breastfeeding post or blog she did

Reactions: 5
Hello 👋 also long time lurker and this thread gives me life. Although I do feel guilt about the bitchier aspects it feels really good to know I'm not the only one to feel this way. So thankyou.
I'm choosing to comment now because of kirkvanhouten's comments about wanting to be a midwife. Sorry this is a long one - bear with me...
I'm a midwife and that is how I came to know of Clemmie. I've been following her life with fascination for seven years now! Since my eldest was a baby and I was on maternity leave. I was desperate for a mum role model and in Clemmie I thought I'd found it. This was pre insta
She had an amazing job as a community midwife, she had two beautiful children and she was gorgeous, cool, had lovely things, a lovely husband. She wrote this great blog called Gas and Air. She seemed really passionate about midwifery. Even back then before instafame she seemed to have i all. And loads of holidays even then! I had a girl crush and I was jealous I guess. A lot of us were jealous if we were to admit it.
But as time went on I became more and more disillusioned with her.
A couple of times I messaged her to ask if she'd use her platform to talk about really important things that were happening in midwifery. Minimal publicity had been given to these issues and here she had this great platform to spread the word. She was polite enough and replied but chose not to say anything at all. Just talked about her clothes or something completely superficial instead.
I bought her book and it was such tripe. Really badly written. Not evidence based. Terrible 'advice' about breastfeeding. Just promoting her insta mates. And telling women to buy a leather jacket to help them adjust to motherhood. Please!
The thing that really did it for me was a post about maternal mental health. As a midwife she will know about puerperal psychosis, crippling PND where women commit suicide and/or kill their babies and women suffering PTSD and trauma. But Clemmie spoke about a basket she had been gifted to collect the crap on the stairs #maternal mental health. And as for that superdrug collab...
Being a midwife does not make you a saint. It's a job. A profession. You get paid for it. Her making out that it is somehow saintly is crap and actually insulting to midwives.
There are tons of people who are really passionate and have amazing stuff to say about birth and motherhood so please don't let Clemmie be the only voice of midwifery.
There are also tons of midwives who work their asses off - night shifts, weekends, missing christmas, kids birthdays and don't get this praise.
When she left insta I had admiration for her. Finally I thought - she will appreciate her life. Gorgeous healthy kids, 'great relationship' with her husband, supportive family, house, job she loves. But she couldn't stay away.
And now I see that she is caught in a trap. They are used to the money, a life style to maintain. Private schools for the kids. A brand. But more than anything the adulation, the praise, the fame. That is truly addictive. A day to day life of long NHS shifts, not getting paid much. Looking after 4 kids. No glamourous parties and presents and money rolling in. No endless praise from literally hundreds of thousands of people. How can she go back to that?
She is a very pretty girl with good taste who was in the right place at the right time. She made friends with women who had connections - other instamums. She has had money and gifts literally thrown at her. And instagram is new - it is an experiment.
Everything has a price. And sadly I think the Hoopers have sold their souls to the devil. For the price of their holidays, house, dishwashers, trainers. They have exchanged their children's privacy, their mental health, possibly their marriage. And sicko that I am I take a morbid fascination in watching it all like a car crash.
I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this but I do feel sorry for Clemmie because I think that she is probably a lovely person and a great midwife. The fact the no one has come out of the woodwork to complain about her care or a poor outcome is a bloody miracle in someone who has been a midwife that long.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
Hello 👋 also long time lurker and this thread gives me life. Although I do feel guilt about the bitchier aspects it feels really good to know I'm not the only one to feel this way. So thankyou.
I'm choosing to comment now because of kirkvanhouten's comments about wanting to be a midwife. Sorry this is a long one - bear with me...
I'm a midwife and that is how I came to know of Clemmie. I've been following her life with fascination for seven years now! Since my eldest was a baby and I was on maternity leave. I was desperate for a mum role model and in Clemmie I thought I'd found it. This was pre insta
She had an amazing job as a community midwife, she had two beautiful children and she was gorgeous, cool, had lovely things, a lovely husband. She wrote this great blog called Gas and Air. She seemed really passionate about midwifery. Even back then before instafame she seemed to have i all. And loads of holidays even then! I had a girl crush and I was jealous I guess. A lot of us were jealous if we were to admit it.
A couple of times I messaged her to ask if she'd use her platform to talk about really important things that were happening in midwifery. Minimal publicity had been given to these issues and here she had this great platform to spread the word. She was polite enough and replied but chose not to say anything at all. Just talked about her clothes or something completely superficial instead.
I bought her book and it was such tripe. Really badly written. Not evidence based. Terrible 'advice' about breastfeeding. Just promoting her insta mates. And telling women to buy a leather jacket to help them adjust to motherhood. Please!
The thing that really did it for me was a post about maternal mental health. As a midwife she will know about puerperal psychosis, crippling PND where women commit suicide and/or kill their babies and women suffering PTSD and trauma. But Clemmie spoke about a basket she had been gifted to collect the crap on the stairs #maternal mental health. And as for that superdrug collab...
Being a midwife does not make you a saint. It's a job. A profession. You get paid for it. Her making out that it is somehow saintly is crap and actually insulting to midwives.
There are tons of people who are really passionate and have amazing stuff to say about birth and motherhood so please don't let Clemmie be the only voice of midwifery.
There are also tons of midwives who work their asses off - night shifts, weekends, missing christmas, kids birthdays and don't get this praise.
When she left insta I had admiration for her. Finally I thought - she will appreciate her life. Gorgeous healthy kids, 'great relationship' with her husband, supportive family, house, job she loves. But she couldn't stay away.
And now I see that she is caught in a trap. They are used to the money, a life style to maintain. Private schools for the kids. A brand. But more than anything the adulation, the praise, the fame. That is truly addictive. A day to day life of long NHS shifts, not getting paid much. Looking after 4 kids. No glamourous parties and presents and money rolling in. No endless praise from literally hundreds of thousands of people. How can she go back to that?
She is a very pretty girl with good taste who was in the right place at the right time. She made friends with women who had connections - other instamums. She has had money and gifts literally thrown at her. And instagram is new - it is an experiment.
Everything has a price. And sadly I think the Hoopers have sold their souls to the devil. For the price of their holidays, house, dishwashers, trainers. They have exchanged their children's privacy, their mental health, possibly their marriage. And sicko that I am I take a morbid fascination in watching it all like a car crash.
I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this but I do feel sorry for Clemmie because I think that she is probably a lovely person and a great midwife. The fact the no one has come out of the woodwork to complain about her care or a poor outcome is a bloody miracle in someone who has been a midwife that long.
Thank you for that post. I really enjoyed reading it and agree with everything you’ve said.

Reactions: 14
Yeah she was also reprimanded by the trust for an anti breastfeeding post or blog she did
A colleague of mine complained to the NMC about her writing a blog post being negative about breastfeeding. In it she said she didn't enjoy breastfeeding. A lot of women did take comfort from a midwife writing that, it was a popular post. However as a midwife you can't just spout your personal opinion. You are accountable for what you say. It has to be evidence based. Especially if you're publishing it online. I honestly don't understand how she has got away with all the things she's said over the years. Plus the old advertising issue. Our code of conduct says we're not allowed to promote any products for precisely the reasons people have raised here.

• Wow
Reactions: 18

SO MUCH SENSE - thank you

A colleague of mine complained to the NMC about her writing a blog post being negative about breastfeeding. In it she said she didn't enjoy breastfeeding. A lot of women did take comfort from a midwife writing that, it was a popular post. However as a midwife you can't just spout your personal opinion. You are accountable for what you say. It has to be evidence based. Especially if you're publishing it online. I honestly don't understand how she has got away with all the things she's said over the years. Plus the old advertising issue. Our code of conduct says we're not allowed to promote any products for precisely the reasons people have raised here.

I don’t understand why she is allowed to practice after promoting so many baby products

Reactions: 10
Wish Vanity Fair would do an article that references her like the one that came out yesterday where Courtney Adams and her group of Murfer Mummas were interviewed. It was not complimentary. The link is in the Courtney Adamo thread.
I saw the article yesterday and was surprised that it was such a candid piece. Definitely not complimentary but very enlightening. I don’t really follow any of that ‘tribe’ of instamamas but it could have applied to any of these influencers who live in this bubble with their grid pic perfect lives and squads. I hope the bubble is going to burst soon personally.

Reactions: 6
Such a well written piece. Just wow.

Reactions: 6
SO MUCH SENSE - thank you

Thanks

I don’t understand why she is allowed to practice after promoting so many baby products
Yeah I really don't understand it. I wonder if it's cause all this insta stuff is so new and all the issues around insta advertising and promotion are only just coming out? It seems a particularly shitey way of advertising. As in so covert and so powerful.Making out they're your mates/ just like you. I'm embarrased to admit I bought a Tiba and Marl changing mat and some other crap influenced by them. As others have said it was when I'd just had a baby and was all hormonal. At the time it wasn't indicated they'd just been given it for free. Feel like a right mug

• Sad
Yeah I really don't understand it. I wonder if it's cause all this insta stuff is so new and all the issues around insta advertising and promotion are only just coming out? It seems a particularly shitey way of advertising. As in so covert and so powerful.Making out they're your mates/ just like you. I'm embarrased to admit I bought a Tiba and Marl changing mat and some other crap influenced by them. As others have said it was when I'd just had a baby and was all hormonal. At the time it wasn't indicated they'd just been given it for free. Feel like a right mug
I think in a way we are all here because we feel like we have been mugged off in various ways by team MOFOD.

Fortunately my husband is northern and doesn’t buy into Instagram crap and therefore talked me out of the majority of my potential hormones influenced Clemmie pushes purchases

*usung a strong lancs accent shout ‘bugge that I can roll up a towel’ and you have got it

• Haha
Reactions: 12
FOD is using the kids again to sell us Sky Broadband 😒
Did you see the lady who said ‘please start your post with AD so I can decide if I want to watch it or scroll past’

Get told FOD

Good on you girl

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
FOD is using the kids again to sell us Sky Broadband 😒
The irony of him limiting screen time for his children. The children should be limiting it for their parents. It isn’t the children with the issue.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.