MOD & FOD #31 Stay Alert -> Delete the Comments -> Save Sponsorships

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Although I would be delighted (and a lot more productive at work, as I could log out of Tattle occasionally) if a number of influencers including Slymon and House of Horrors were cancelled and left the internet, I think they're shockingly resilient.

Like cockroaches in a nuclear apocalypse, they seem able to weather any storm. I think a sad fact is that, for so many of their followers, race is a non-issue. Not sure how many overlap with the Jack Monroe thread but we had murder last night after some comments which showed how behind many people still are on race etc. For those who aspire to lead bland, consumerist lives where politics and injustice barely factor, the SoDs are the pinnacle of success.

Hope that didn't come across as bleak, because I am genuinely hopeful that many people will be educated (even bleeping ultimate true neutral Zoella is posting BLM resources ffs). But there will always be a hardcore apolitical fanbase for Sly and Clam.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
FOD is quite rightly getting absolutely roasted in the comments on his rocket launch post, predominantly about not allowing comments on his blackout Tuesday post.

Obviously he couldn't win either way, by posting or not posting he was going to get held to account. Yet somehow, faced with those two choices, he managed to find an even WORSE option.

You love to see it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
FOD is quite rightly getting absolutely roasted in the comments on his rocket launch post, predominantly about not allowing comments on his blackout Tuesday post.

Obviously he couldn't win either way, by posting or not posting he was going to get held to account. Yet somehow, faced with those two choices, he managed to find an even WORSE option.

You love to see it.
I mean, does he think people are that stupid that they wouldn’t just go and comment on a previous post - not to mention the H of H account?! The arrogance of the pair of them just never fails to astound me...
Also the ‘we all make mistakes/we miss Clemmie’ gang have been mercifully quiet haven’t they...

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Although I would be delighted (and a lot more productive at work, as I could log out of Tattle occasionally) if a number of influencers including Slymon and House of Horrors were cancelled and left the internet, I think they're shockingly resilient.

Like cockroaches in a nuclear apocalypse, they seem able to weather any storm. I think a sad fact is that, for so many of their followers, race is a non-issue. Not sure how many overlap with the Jack Monroe thread but we had murder last night after some comments which showed how behind many people still are on race etc. For those who aspire to lead bland, consumerist lives where politics and injustice barely factor, the SoDs are the pinnacle of success.

Hope that didn't come across as bleak, because I am genuinely hopeful that many people will be educated (even bleeping ultimate true neutral Zoella is posting BLM resources ffs). But there will always be a hardcore apolitical fanbase for Sly and Clam.
What happened? I've tried to look but it moves so quickly and posts have been deleted?

Reactions: 2

I completely agree with the cockroach comment. I watched the Susie Verrill Twitter shitstorm unfold and was dumbfounded at all the ‘you’re so brave hun’ and ‘we’ve all done it hun’ (um, no we haven’t!) comments - before she switched comments off. It wasn’t brave, she posted because she was found out. She diluted the extent of her tweets - look at her thread the tweets are horrific - and then blamed where she grew up. Yet the amount of people blowing smoke up her arse was unbelievable - they completely missed the point and like you say race is clearly a non issue for a lot of them. While I think it’s right that someone takes ownership of their past actions she went about it the wrong way but doubt she’ll lose that many followers given the comments.

I more peruse the Jack Monroe thread nowadays (commented in the early days of Daily Kitchen) and was amazed at what I saw last night - people rightly being held to account for their comments. But instead of taking the comments on board and engaging (dare I say learning) just ripped into others. From what I saw - still catching up on it - those that challenged the comments went about it in a positive way with no aggression/malice and tried to engage in an adult conversation about it all. Scarily I think you’re right the SODs probably appeal for those wishing to live an apolitical bland life.

It’s not bleak at all. Even Hinch is still signposting in stories to BLM resources. The huns will still flock to the SODs, whether they ignore this or confront it - just look at the number who constantly post about missing Clemmie and white wash what she did simply as a ‘mistake’.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm not very good with writing what I feel but, my eyes have been well and truly opened with the black lives matter and how it intertwines with these influencers. A brand I have bought from before and follow (hari and the gang) just uploaded a picture of mumthatslays wearing one of their hoodies. I immediately thought, I have never seen a black influencer promoting their clothes before. I took a look at their grid. MOSTLY white influencers. I scrolled back to february and the only other non white person I could find was the fashionable pan! There were NO black women/men. Yet today they've uploaded a pic of mumthatslays as if to say look we do post non whites also. I am appalled to put it bluntly. I have honestly never noticed how these brands are actively focusing on the privileged white people to flaunt their products. I have spent money with these people. The strangest thing is they are asian who own this company!
I really am downtrodden with this whole influence culture, it's basically a load of rich white people, getting stuff for free that the rest of us have to pay for.
And these two are the very worst. I'm a nurse. The fact that she is in a trusted position and is racist is terrifying to me, and she got away with it and brands are STILL working with them.
I'm just done.
Yes I noticed this too and thought it was poor show!!!

Reactions: 2
I completely agree with the cockroach comment. I watched the Susie Verrill Twitter shitstorm unfold and was dumbfounded at all the ‘you’re so brave hun’ and ‘we’ve all done it hun’ (um, no we haven’t!) comments - before she switched comments off. It wasn’t brave, she posted because she was found out. She diluted the extent of her tweets - look at her thread the tweets are horrific - and then blamed where she grew up. Yet the amount of people blowing smoke up her arse was unbelievable - they completely missed the point and like you say race is clearly a non issue for a lot of them. While I think it’s right that someone takes ownership of their past actions she went about it the wrong way but doubt she’ll lose that many followers given the comments.

I more peruse the Jack Monroe thread nowadays (commented in the early days of Daily Kitchen) and was amazed at what I saw last night - people rightly being held to account for their comments. But instead of taking the comments on board and engaging (dare I say learning) just ripped into others. From what I saw - still catching up on it - those that challenged the comments went about it in a positive way with no aggression/malice and tried to engage in an adult conversation about it all. Scarily I think you’re right the SODs probably appeal for those wishing to live an apolitical bland life.

It’s not bleak at all. Even Hinch is still signposting in stories to BLM resources. The huns will still flock to the SODs, whether they ignore this or confront it - just look at the number who constantly post about missing Clemmie and white wash what she did simply as a ‘mistake’.
From what I read, my upbringing was very similar to hers, but I've never once posted racist shite 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@heretoreaditall2019 re your comment about MOD’s advertising of overpriced baby items I completely agree.

I’m a midwife and found her blog as a student and was completely taken in.

I remember her pushing sleepyheads A LOT (I know I know people love them) but in terms of safe sleep they’re not recommended, and as midwives we’re told not to recommend them as their safety is questioned, so I always found it jarring that she was pushing them and obviously angling for a sponsor.

The nail in the coffin was when she promoted a hugely overpriced granola and cereal bar to pregnant women which undermined current advice about vitamin D and folic acid supplementation (look up nutricia and first steps nutrition if you want a peek).

It may seem small but it just cemented that she has no integrity as a midwife when there’s an opportunity to make some cash by flogging tit.
Exactly this! I found her just before I got pregnant and stupidly thought 'well she must know what she's talking about so maybe i should buy that...' she doesn't give a tit about other mums, just her own pockets.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
As an aside there is not a single POC in any of his posts (excluding random people in backgrounds). Benefit of the doubt that they’re a family account and they are white people, but if he starts to spew “some of my best friends are Black” nonsense... either he’s lying or he doesn’t want to put them on his feed.

• Sad
Reactions: 6

You are spot on, the calling out on the JM thread was exceptionally well intentioned and done in a completely generous and civilised manner, sadly it was not accepted that way.

The OD’s are so on another planet from anyone normal, how they are still ploughing on is unbelievable. At least they aren’t ruining another nice couple, a proper match for one another,eh?

Is Susie Verrill only famous for being Greg (I love myself so much) Rutherford’s girlfriend or does she have her own talent?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
What happened? I've tried to look but it moves so quickly and posts have been deleted?
Oh LORDY, haha. A frequent contributor said "all lives matter", and said she has black cats (and later a PoC husband) so she can't be a racist (?!). And everyone gave her the benefit of the doubt and tried to kindly point out why that is absolutely not cool in a moment like this, but she doubled down and said we were all tone-policing twats, basically.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
@heretoreaditall2019 re your comment about MOD’s advertising of overpriced baby items I completely agree.

I’m a midwife and found her blog as a student and was completely taken in.

I remember her pushing sleepyheads A LOT (I know I know people love them) but in terms of safe sleep they’re not recommended, and as midwives we’re told not to recommend them as their safety is questioned, so I always found it jarring that she was pushing them and obviously angling for a sponsor.

The nail in the coffin was when she promoted a hugely overpriced granola and cereal bar to pregnant women which undermined current advice about vitamin D and folic acid supplementation (look up nutricia and first steps nutrition if you want a peek).

It may seem small but it just cemented that she has no integrity as a midwife when there’s an opportunity to make some cash by flogging tit.
Oh wow this is pretty damning isn’t it. It's really interesting to hear from a professional's PoV so thank you for sharing.

It’s scary to think this can happen, it’s almost like the American system where big pharma wines and dines HCPs so everyone ends up addicted to opioids? You should remain wholly impartial, I actually think it needs to become part of the code of conduct tbh as this stuff effects women's wellbeing, their self esteem, their finances... It's really not on! And by sounds of the breakfast bar their literal bleeping nutrition, wtf?

Reactions: 12
Has she deleted it?
Yep! 🙄 This is what I bloody hate about social media!
Don’t like a comment?.....delete and block
Change your mind about a post....delete
Make racist comments a few years ago....delete as if never happened.

I did actually have a bit of respect for her yesterday in trying to own it (unlike the cockroaches) but lost all that since she’s started turning off comments and deleting posts.

PS I don’t even really know who Susie is or why she’s ‘famous’ had just looked on her posts in relation to calling out MOD.

Reactions: 8
Ah the poor SODs. They were on some sort of roll with Clembot’s new interiors account and had garnered a handsome amount of followers... but it all seems to have backfired on them. Must be exhausting to think you’re in the clear and then to have the La Redoute rug pulled out from under you like that.

Yep! 🙄 This is what I bloody hate about social media!
Don’t like a comment?.....delete and block
Change your mind about a post....delete
Make racist comments a few years ago....delete as if never happened.

I did actually have a bit of respect for her yesterday in trying to own it (unlike the cockroaches) but lost all that since she’s started turning off comments and deleting posts.

PS I don’t even really know who Susie is or why she’s ‘famous’ had just looked on her posts in relation to calling out MOD.
Yep I had no idea who she is - but I googled her after yesterday 😂
It all seems a little performative doesn’t it, and I imagine it’s very, very embarrassing for her. Her past racist ‘jokes’ came back to haunt her and that’s a real shame ... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.