MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know if it’s an mlm but someone I know has left her job to become a ‘life coach’. She has no qualifications but has paid for some online course and is trying to get others to do it. It will enable her to travel round the world apparently. It seems very mlm like, especially all the ‘living my best life’ posts.
The girl who used to do my acrylic nails suddenly left to become a life coach. So strange. Loads of posts about her mega successful life when a few weeks earlier she was trimming my cuticles and living in a small flat with a massive dog. Suddenly she appeared to be holidaying on yachts, visiting Dubai. It’s the strangest thing. I followed for a while and she had a team of recruits so I assume this is another form of MLM.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The girl who used to do my acrylic nails suddenly left to become a life coach. So strange. Loads of posts about her mega successful life when a few weeks earlier she was trimming my cuticles and living in a small flat with a massive dog. Suddenly she appeared to be holidaying on yachts, visiting Dubai. It’s the strangest thing. I followed for a while and she had a team of recruits so I assume this is another form of MLM.
Erm, I’d google ‘yachting’ - it’s not an MLM but does involve sales...

• Haha
Reactions: 14
These “life coaches” are like the Japanese knotweed of Instagram. Every man and his dog is doing it 🙄 I wouldn’t ask the vast majority of them to coach me through choosing an acrylic nail colour, let alone anything else.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Thought it was an mlm. She’s convinced she’s going to be travelling the world with her kids whilst working as a life coach. It’s such nonsense

Reactions: 5
Does anyone follow rawbeautykristi? She’s gonna be posting a video to yt soon all about mlm companies!

Reactions: 1
I had a friend request last night from someone I don’t know, took a look at her account and she’s friends with my mother in law and my mother in laws friend. Deleted it and thought nothing of it then half an hour later my MIL shared this ladies FM perfume selling post 🙄 sorry but I think it’s really f***ing rude to send friend requests to people you don’t know but you can double that rudeness and add a gone off cherry on top when it’s to try and flog people your cheap knock offs. Really wound me up! And thinking about I had a friend request from someone else the other day who I didn’t know so just deleted but I bet it was for the same reason. Have they no shame?!

Reactions: 10
I had a friend request last night from someone I don’t know, took a look at her account and she’s friends with my mother in law and my mother in laws friend. Deleted it and thought nothing of it then half an hour later my MIL shared this ladies FM perfume selling post 🙄 sorry but I think it’s really f***ing rude to send friend requests to people you don’t know but you can double that rudeness and add a gone off cherry on top when it’s to try and flog people your cheap knock offs. Really wound me up! And thinking about I had a friend request from someone else the other day who I didn’t know so just deleted but I bet it was for the same reason. Have they no shame?!
Yep anytime a stranger adds you it’s guaranteed to be a hun. I always delete 🙅🏼‍♀️ You’re right it’s so rude!

Reactions: 10
I agree with this. Also not necessarily MLM but if I chose to follow someone on insta then I'll get loads of other follow requests from people/companies who are going through other people's list and requesting to follow people in the hope I'll follow them back and boost their numbers....erm no thanks

I agree with this. Also not necessarily MLM but if I chose to follow someone on insta then I'll get loads of other follow requests from people/companies who are going through other people's list and requesting to follow people in the hope I'll follow them back and boost their numbers....erm no thanks
Yep I got that too, in fact Superdrug have just requested to follow me...how special do I feel?! 😄 bot followers. I really do miss the days when Instagram was for posting pictures of your tea and not just an enormous advertising platform. I can of course understand why it’s gone that way but please, can there not just be a place where we are not being marketed to every time we open the app 😩

Reactions: 9
theres one where people think they are travel agents... laughable really
I have a Facebook friend who added me a few months ago who seems to be doing this. We worked together a few years back so I accepted the request. Turns out she is an “independent travel agent” as well as being an NHS consultant 😬 she even PMed me asking where we knew each other from - she added me!!!! I just ignored her as a girl I went to uni with does Arbonne and she pulled the same trick, randomly PMing me to ask how I was only to brag about how amazing her life is since doing Arbonne!!

Reactions: 12
I have a Facebook friend who added me a few months ago who seems to be doing this. We worked together a few years back so I accepted the request. Turns out she is an “independent travel agent” as well as being an NHS consultant 😬 she even PMed me asking where we knew each other from - she added me!!!! I just ignored her as a girl I went to uni with does Arbonne and she pulled the same trick, randomly PMing me to ask how I was only to brag about how amazing her life is since doing Arbonne!!
It makes me cringe, I’d be so embarrassed to do this to people it’s so transparent and shows so much disingenuousity (apparently that’s not an actual word but I feel more than ever it should be. Anyway you know what I mean!)

I was bombarded with being added to fb groups and friend requests etc when lowdown first started. Even if I wanted to I can only so much perfume, beauty products, shakes etc🙈🙈🙈 needless to say hardly any of them are still selling it!!

Reactions: 9
Oh my god! They are so tone deaf.

The one that’s been massive on my fb lately is FM World. At first it seems they do copy perfumes (hello market stall) but then suddenly they’re shilling cleaning products too! Probably the same bloody stuff in every bottle 😂
These copy designer perfumes first came out in the 80’s. I remember buying a set of them for £20 outlay and trying to sell them. Nobody was interested, because everyone I knew could afford the real thing.

The swizz comes back in a different guise. I also remember Cabouchon costume jewellery, another pyramid scheme back in the 90’s. Thankfully I had the good sense to avoid that one.

Oh my god I just cannot stand anything like this usbourne books... Ann summers... forever living ... juice plus or anything vaguely similar which involves selling on social media! It’s so so so embarassing there’s too many trying to do it physically makes me feel sick I don’t know why it angers me so much it makes me immediately think the person is of low intelligence to think it’s a good idea... u can’t just sell stuff to ur 3 mates an be a millionaire 😂 what a waste of time !!!!!! I’m seeing more and more I can’t believe people fall for it I know I’ve commented pretty much this before 😂 cringes me to high heaven makes my face screw up an my stomach turn 😂 be your own boss tit and earn £2.50 a month... as if ‘Becky’ or ‘Claire’s’ forever living page is gonna get thousands of likes and comments they only ever get one like which is there husband omg I’m so nasty it’s just this it’s my pet freaking hateeeeee

Also if I need shampoo or lotion or freaking body spray I will go to MORRISONS like a normal person 😂😭😂😭👀👀👀

Maybe I’ll start selling lettuce in a hamper and charge £20 best lettuce ever from lettuce land

• Haha
Reactions: 25
As people have said before it seems the way to make money is through recruiting (still don’t understand the economics of that but 🤷🏼‍♀️) and then it makes me think you’ve got to be a special kind of selfish C word to prey on vulnerable people just to line your own pocket. I’ve got one on my social media that just makes my hair stand up on end...so scammy

Reactions: 11
Oh my god I just cannot stand anything like this usbourne books... Ann summers... forever living ... juice plus or anything vaguely similar which involves selling on social media! It’s so so so embarassing there’s too many trying to do it physically makes me feel sick I don’t know why it angers me so much it makes me immediately think the person is of low intelligence to think it’s a good idea... u can’t just sell stuff to ur 3 mates an be a millionaire 😂 what a waste of time !!!!!! I’m seeing more and more I can’t believe people fall for it I know I’ve commented pretty much this before 😂 cringes me to high heaven makes my face screw up an my stomach turn 😂 be your own boss tit and earn £2.50 a month... as if ‘Becky’ or ‘Claire’s’ forever living page is gonna get thousands of likes and comments they only ever get one like which is there husband omg I’m so nasty it’s just this it’s my pet freaking hateeeeee

Also if I need shampoo or lotion or freaking body spray I will go to MORRISONS like a normal person 😂😭😂😭👀👀👀

Maybe I’ll start selling lettuce in a hamper and charge £20 best lettuce ever from lettuce land
I totally agree. A girl i work with has just started selling scentsy. I thought she was intelligent and I have now lost a lot of respect for her.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.