MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok, so you’re using the term ‘own business’ because you are technically self employed. I understand that.

But what really rankles a lot of people is the ‘fake it till you make it’ , the smoke and mirrors. @Foxycoxy im not saying you do this, not at all, I don’t know you. But you know the sort of thing i mean. Pics of designer shopping bags strewn across a bed, holiday shots, posing in front of luxury cars. Implying that the business has got you all this, that you are making enough to fund a luxury lifestyle.

Just tell the truth! But then the truth wouldn’t attract new recruits, would it?

Reactions: 9
Ok, so you’re using the term ‘own business’ because you are technically self employed. I understand that.

But what really rankles a lot of people is the ‘fake it till you make it’ , the smoke and mirrors. @Foxycoxy im not saying you do this, not at all, I don’t know you. But you know the sort of thing i mean. Pics of designer shopping bags strewn across a bed, holiday shots, posing in front of luxury cars. Implying that the business has got you all this, that you are making enough to fund a luxury lifestyle.

Just tell the truth! But then the truth wouldn’t attract new recruits, would it?
for a few people at the top that is reality. For most it isn’t. You need at least 300 below you to earn that. For me I have a decent full time job, I’m saving for a house (FM is not funding that before anyone else goes for me) my money from FM allows me to treat myself. If that Is all you want then I don’t see MLM is an issue.

for a few people at the top that is reality. For most it isn’t. You need at least 300 below you to earn that. For me I have a decent full time job, I’m saving for a house (FM is not funding that before anyone else goes for me) my money from FM allows me to treat myself. If that Is all you want then I don’t see MLM is an issue.

But it IS an issue. As you rightly say it’s only the few at the top that earn that kind of money and have that life. But they tell their downline to post the same things. Usually under the guise of the law of attraction or fake it till you make it. So that their friends will see how ‘well’ theyre Doing and think well if they can have all that why can’t I. And they join up based on a false belief that they too will become rich, when in reality less than 1% of people in an mlm make any money at all.

They’re buying a lie. And that’s why it’s wrong.

Even then, those at the top that appear to be doing so well, a quick look at certain accounts of big names I know and you’ll see debts and directors loans. It’s a house of cards that they are desperately trying to save from falling. Go back 5-7 years when the industry was at its peak and yes they were doing well. But slowly people are seeing the truth about moms and not before time.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Impressive! Is that £700 gross or net?
Net.

I’ve done a few MLMs, one of them for over 5 years. I honestly did not see the things people are slagging them off for. They get a lot of hate from people who know nothing about them but once saw a programme/ read a blog post etc.

Reactions: 1
Net.

I’ve done a few MLMs, one of them for over 5 years. I honestly did not see the things people are slagging them off for. They get a lot of hate from people who know nothing about them but once saw a programme/ read a blog post etc.
people are probably slagging them off as they are always on the receiving end of it where 20 people keep messaging them to buy their expensive product even tho they haven’t spoken since high school

Reactions: 22
My sister in law sells Younique and I literally want to rip my eyeballs out at every cringe worthy post.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
These people who show themselves making what looks like tens of thousands of pounds commission in a month...this can’t be real right? If you were making that much a month you would be able to live the life of a millionaire but they don’t 🤨

Reactions: 5
These people who show themselves making what looks like tens of thousands of pounds commission in a month...this can’t be real right? If you were making that much a month you would be able to live the life of a millionaire but they don’t 🤨
I think those making that kind of money (assuming it’s true of course) are those that have recruited a large “team” to sell for them. And that team has also recruited a team and so on. It’s called an up line. There’s a really interesting documentary on BBC iPlayer about it and there’s a woman on there who has something like 2000 people working for her. There’s hardly any money in the sales of the products themselves, all the money is in recruitment.

Reactions: 3
I think those making that kind of money (assuming it’s true of course) are those that have recruited a large “team” to sell for them. And that team has also recruited a team and so on. It’s called an up line. There’s a really interesting documentary on BBC iPlayer about it and there’s a woman on there who has something like 2000 people working for her. There’s hardly any money in the sales of the products themselves, all the money is in recruitment.
I just don’t get the business model. Where is the money coming from 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 2
The people in the up line make commission from their recruits selling the products. So the more recruits they have, the more products are sold, the more their pockets are lined. Somebody, somewhere must be actually buying the products but from the way I understand it, it’s very hard to make the kind of money people talk about by doing that alone. You need to recruit people in order to achieve any degree of success and that’s where the classic ‘pyramid’ comes in.

(Disclaimer: this is me making assumptions based on one BBC documentary and a couple of YouTube videos, happy to be corrected if anyone knows any different 🤣)

Often those at the bottom of the pyramid. If they don’t have to buy a starter pack their uplines encourage them to buy stock to show people or to use themselves so that they can understand the product.

Some MLMs have minimum sales criteria in order to reach levels and be eligible for a higher rate of commission. So people top up the sales levels by buying the product themselves hoping to sell it on the next month. That’s how people have ended up with garages full of product.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I basically got told I had to be the product.. get rid of all my make up, toiletries, shampoo etc and replace them with Arbonne products to show others how amazing they were and that would enable me to recruit others.

Absolute joke.

Reactions: 4
I can't stand them. Some of my family members do them and seem to think that 1) they're a #girlboss 2) they're gonna get a 5* holiday to the bloody Maldives. No chance mate.

Tropic. FM. Book clubs. Lumi. What a load of tit.

DoTerra oils I actually don't mind. Find it odd though how they must he bought/sold through a pyramid. I'd they're that good why aren't shops stocking them??!!

Reactions: 7
Even high up in the mlms it’s all smoke and mirrors. Directors loans, borrowing over and over again to keep up the facade. Bed and breakfasting, I believe it’s called, and there’s only so long it can go on for before HMRC want their money back.

These ‘businesses’ hit their peak about 5-7 years ago, things really started to go crazy when they harnessed the power of social media to market and promote their business and the alleged lifestyle that comes with it. The tops dogs made a killing, those under them did ok too. But what they didn’t bank on was all of this working against them. The internet is a big place and as much as people can use it to to promote an image, it can also be used to investigate the truth behind it.

The tide is turning and the mlms are panicking.

Reactions: 10
People buy the products for sale! Mostly you make 25% of your sales as commission. The commission goes up the more you sell so, for example if you sell over £1200 in a month you’ll get 31%.

When people join through you, you may get a recruitment bonus plus you’ll earn a very small percentage off their sales - maybe 1-2% and it’s normally once you’ve built up a small team, maybe 6 people. And if they recruit people you’ll get 1% of their sales & so on.

Most of the replies on here are from people who’ve heard how bad MLMs are rather than those who’ve done it themselves.

People buy the products for sale! Mostly you make 25% of your sales as commission. The commission goes up the more you sell so, for example if you sell over £1200 in a month you’ll get 31%.

When people join through you, you may get a recruitment bonus plus you’ll earn a very small percentage off their sales - maybe 1-2% and it’s normally once you’ve built up a small team, maybe 6 people. And if they recruit people you’ll get 1% of their sales & so on.

Most of the replies on here are from people who’ve heard how bad MLMs are rather than those who’ve done it themselves.
I feel like the products must be overpriced if everyone up and down the chain can get a cut. I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with them, it’s been useful to see both sides on this thread 😊

Reactions: 7
I feel like the products must be overpriced if everyone up and down the chain can get a cut. I’m glad you’ve had a good experience with them, it’s been useful to see both sides on this thread 😊
Imagine what it costs to advertise in a magazine or on TV? These products don’t have those costs. Other products have people working in the companies that need paying, advertising etc. I can honestly say I was never encouraged to buy or hold stock, given targets or any of the shady practices mentioned. I made some great friends & a lot of people made a lot of money selling fantastic products that those buying (and selling) them loved.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.