MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also another thing I’ve noticed recently about FM world that I mentioned is a number of influencers have done posts with their products in the background (Stacey solomon, towie people, love Island people). Then mlm huns use those pictures to show people how amazing their product is....but it’s just influencers getting gifted free stuff and not caring what it is?!

Reactions: 7
The i player programme is brilliant.
It’s called Secrets of the Multi-Level Millionaires.

An under cover journalist explores the whole industry, it’s worth a watch. It is so interesting.

Reactions: 19
Oh yes I agree, I love a bit of Avon. Everyone I know that does it aren't continually harassing you to join their 'team'. The profits aren't great compared to all the others.

I personally don't think Avon really is a MLM compared with some of the others.. or at least not a bad one lol?
I am curious as to why people do feel Avon is different?

I really don't think it is! You have to sell over X amount to get any commission, if you sell over z amount you get the higher commission band. You can recruit and grow a downline and earn off them, once you have so many in your direct Down line you can earn off all the people they recruit sales.

It is structured exactly the same as all the other MLM . You pay to join, you pay for brochures, you pay for the paper bags to deliver the product in.

Is it simply as it is such an established and known brand of product? They have had TV advertising campaigns etc?

Don't get me wrong I love that people are more accepting of Avon than other MLM as it's such an easy sell but genuinely curious as to why it is viewed as better than the other MLM brands.

Reactions: 5

I really don't think it is! You have to sell over X amount to get any commission, if you sell over z amount you get the higher commission band. You can recruit and grow a downline and earn off them, once you have so many in your direct Down line you can earn off all the people they recruit sales.

It is structured exactly the same as all the other MLM . You pay to join, you pay for brochures, you pay for the paper bags to deliver the product in.

Is it simply as it is such an established and known brand of product? They have had TV advertising campaigns etc?

Don't get me wrong I love that people are more accepting of Avon than other MLM as it's such an easy sell but genuinely curious as to why it is viewed as better than the other MLM brands.
To me it is probably two fold. First Avon is an institution, I grew up just knowing it as a legit business and never questioned its sales model. Secondly they aren’t as cut throat, at least as I’ve seen. As I said earlier the woman near me who sells never bothers me now I’ve said I’m not interested:

Reactions: 13
I also think Avon products are affordable.

if you watch the MLM programme you will see that one of the companies on there are selling deodorant for somewhere around £7-£15. I can’t remember exactly how much but all the products were ridiculous In price.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Not sure if it is on Netflix UK but if so, check out the documentary Betting on Zero. It is about the Herbalife MLM.
You know what's hard moving to a new country? Making friends. When someone asks you to go for coffee, you don't know if they actually wanna be friends or if they're gonna shill an MLM. I will shut that tit down though as I am not interested.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
To me it is probably two fold. First Avon is an institution, I grew up just knowing it as a legit business and never questioned its sales model. Secondly they aren’t as cut throat, at least as I’ve seen. As I said earlier the woman near me who sells never bothers me now I’ve said I’m not interested:
Thanks for answering.

I have seen all variety of reps and recruiters from the ultra pushy out recruiting and won't go home until 10 new sign ups to the quiet shy rep who just shows a few brochures to friends and family.

I have never had any difficulty selling the product, but always found the active recruiting frustrating. I prefer to keep a smaller team and just recruit people who approach me with a genuine interest.

I have heard the most shocking lies from some of the proper pit bull style recruiters to achieve there recruitment targets 🤬🤬

Reactions: 4
Not sure if it is on Netflix UK but if so, check out the documentary Betting on Zero. It is about the Herbalife MLM.
You know what's hard moving to a new country? Making friends. When someone asks you to go for coffee, you don't know if they actually wanna be friends or if they're gonna shill an MLM. I will shut that tit down though as I am not interested.
I have also watched this, it is brilliant and very insightful. I find MLM really interesting and can’t believe that they are allowed to exist.

Reactions: 7

Maybe I am biased because I like avons products and have been using them all my life!
As others have mentioned they don't seem so focused on recruitment or constantly advertising products and cohercing you into buying something, if you say you aren't interested they will leave you alone. Everyone that I know that has done Avon has only ever worked for themselves and hasn't bothered recruiting anyone. The products are genuinely good products aswell so they kind of sell themselves.

Reactions: 9
Someone I went to school with was got like this when she moved from UK to USA

Reactions: 1
I tell you what. I’d love to get into the beginning of a pyramid scheme. You’d be laughing all the way to the bank

Reactions: 14
I also think Avon products are affordable.

if you watch the MLM programme you will see that one of the companies on there are selling deodorant for somewhere around £7-£15. I can’t remember exactly how much but all the products were ridiculous In price.
Yes definitely affordable plenty of 99p items. I have a street with lots of elderly customers and they rely on me to order all their toiletries as they can't get out much. I have been known to deliver bread and milk with the order. They are the reason I won't quit, I even pop round to check on them in bad weather / snow etc.I only ever intended to do it for a bit of maternity leave income😂 I am fully back at work now and it was so much easier when I could chuck all the brochures and parcels under the double buggy and do a quick drop. Now I end up going inside and chatting for half an hour with every customer 😜😜

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
MLM businesses are legal because there is an obvious product being sold. The only way to get rich with an mlm is to either create your own mlm business or start a 'coaching' business where you target mlm huns such as bossbabe/ Frazer brookes/ mums in business association/ marie forleo etc. The only coaching they do is motivational speeches it's very cringe.

Reactions: 3
I watched this too, it's definitely available in the UK as I only watched it a few weeks back. Very interesting and upsetting for the people involved.

My friend recently got involved with Juice Plus. The person who I assume recruited her had tagged her on Facebook so I had a stalk of this girl. How anyone with a conscience can get involved with any of this I do not know. Some of the before and after photos didn't look like the same people, and one girl looked like she had an eating disorder. They try and target young mums but the products are so expensive. Horrible business and so fake.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Scentsy is another one. Every one and their granny is selling this now 🙄

Reactions: 12
This whole murky subject really fascinates me! Like lots of you, I’ve had various ‘acquaintances’ suddenly becoming more friendly when they wanted to try and sell Arbonne/Forever Living etc to me. I also had a closer friend become a rep for Juice Plus and she became so pushy with it - I did end up trying a sample of it, and felt no different ha ha! But she still persisted, trying to get me to go to special event evenings about it.
Anyway out of curiosity I stalked a few of the top leaders who she’d shared things from, and they do give a very convincing display of super success and wealth. I can’t even imagine the amount of backstabbing and fake ness behind the scenes though!

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.