Missing Blogger Esther Dingley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Here's YET ANOTHER thing that got my back up about Mr. Colegate, he was questioned for a whole day by Police and whined that "It's tiring" - SERIOUSLY ? Your self-professed "soul mate" is missing in the mountains and you say that ?

It really pi$$ed me off when I read that...

Reactions: 9
This photo really puts the severity of the terrain in context - it is the view of the ridge line from La Glera back towards Pic du Salvaguardia.

There are more on this page. Carrying your own backpack is enough of a challenge, let alone anything else.
Total bonkers that she would even attempt that though.

Here's YET ANOTHER thing that got my back up about Mr. Colegate, he was questioned for a whole day by Police and whined that "It's tiring" - SERIOUSLY ? Your self-professed "soul mate" is missing in the mountains and you say that ?

It really pi$$ed me off when I read that...
Oh no I never read that. Don't you think that's another massive red flag? That reminds me of Shanann & Chris Watts (American Murder on Netflix) where he was lying to the police and generally being unhelpful.

Reactions: 7

Oh no I never read that. Don't you think that's another massive red flag? That reminds me of Shanann & Chris Watts (American Murder on Netflix) where he was lying to the police and generally being unhelpful.
I do, but as he is officially 100 miles away I just don't see how he gets round the technology (cell/laptop/cc) problem without the Police knowing.

Reactions: 3
If she was killed by bf then I don’t think it was premeditated. I believe a situation would have escalated to intense anger and something awful occurred. There is a discrepancy between him saying that rumours as to discontent / breakup in the relationship were salacious nonsense and Laura’s account of Esther reporting a breakup. DC would never have known that Esther had discussed a breakup with a fellow hiker. The investigating police would have immediately found that discrepancy disturbing.

I do, but as he is officially 100 miles away I just don't see how he gets round the technology (cell/laptop/cc) problem without the Police knowing.
But we don’t know what they know. He could’ve travelled on 21st / 22 nd and gone back home by late 23rd, and all would seem normal til the alarm was raised. He then travelled back and searched alone. At that point she was just missing so not suspected as being killed. He didn’t wish to search with them for a reason. They probably had no cause to track him at that stage. IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
But we don’t know what they know. He could’ve travelled on 21st / 22 nd and gone back home by late 23rd, and all would seem normal til the alarm was raised. He then travelled back and searched alone. At that point she was just missing so not suspected as being killed. He didn’t wish to search with them for a reason. They probably had no cause to track him at that stage. IMO.
I agree, but the Police apparently have all the information on his cell/laptop/cc and are STILL not treating him as a suspect, allowing him to roam all over the mountains ! They clearly think he's innocent.

Reactions: 2
If she made the decision to take this route from the peak of Salv, then it would likely have been dark by the time she got to Glera too (although reported clear skies an a bright moon). She has been found at the base of this peak, so she has most likely been up on this ridge.

These ridge traverses can start off less extreme, then there might be a bit that you can get up, but would be difficult to get down. Once you've invested hours in making progress along, it's very hard to admit defeat and turn back when it gets extreme. It's all too easy to get into a pickle and start taking risks.

Reactions: 8
I hope DC is innocent and he may well be. But the police have never declared that. They have always used carefully worded phrases regarding him such a movements are accounted for. They have to carefully squeeze out the truth by letting him feel relatively safe. They just allow snippets out to unsettle him and hope he will reveal truth by actions taken in panic. That is how it comes across to me. Everything they’ve revealed has been carefully calculated in terms timing. Always snippets that may disturb the perpetrator

I agree, but the Police apparently have all the information on his cell/laptop/cc and are STILL not treating him as a suspect, allowing him to roam all over the mountains ! They clearly think he's innocent.
Well I think he was allowed to roam in order that he would lead them to the body. It was their only chance. He had to feel safe enough to roam. They can’t treat him openly as a suspect until they have decent evidence and they cant get that till the body is revealed. They knew he’d come up with the body.

Well that’s what I’d do if I were them. I’d let him feel ok but release certain things via media to unsettle him. Certain bits of info which would make him react and worry. The constant drip of pressure will force him to make an error eventually or crumble. If he is guilty then he’ll be under enormous pressure carrying it on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I hope DC is innocent and he may well be. But the police have never declared that. They have always used carefully worded phrases regarding him such a movements are accounted for. They have to carefully squeeze out the truth by letting him feel relatively safe. They just allow snippets out to unsettle him and hope he will reveal truth by actions taken in panic. That is how it comes across to me. Everything they’ve revealed has been carefully calculated in terms timing. Always snippets that may disturb the perpetrator

Well I think he was allowed to roam in order that he would lead them to the body. It was their only chance. He had to feel safe enough to roam. They can’t treat him openly as a suspect until they have decent evidence and they cant get that till the body is revealed. They knew he’d come up with the body.
You might be right, but I would be surprised, in my opinion if he is a real suspect and they have allowed him to roam the mountains alone potentially altering/hiding evidence then that is negligence and somebody should be fired...

You might be right, but I would be surprised, in my opinion if he is a real suspect and they have allowed him to roam the mountains alone potentially altering/hiding evidence then that is negligence and somebody should be fired...
On one hand I agree.. I was amazed he was allowed to search alone. But I can also see that it might have been their only chance to discover the truth. They have time constraints and only he could reveal the body. We also don’t know that they didn’t have some way of keeping an eye on him. Hmmmm.. all very puzzling.

But the fact remains she climbed the pic de sauvegarde for a second time, setting out very late for a climb. That’s odd behaviour. She talked to DC st the top. Then that was it. Silence. He knew where she was.

Reactions: 4
On one hand I agree.. I was amazed he was allowed to search alone. But I can also see that it might have been their only chance to discover the truth. They have time constraints and only he could reveal the body. We also don’t know that they didn’t have some way of keeping an eye on him. Hmmmm.. all very puzzling.
Yes.
The other thing is that although he has been interviewed 3 times it is apparently by 3 different Police forces (Spanish/French/British). I don't know how they operate but I would have thought if he was a genuine suspect they would have brought him in again for follow-up questions just to see how he would react to that - but I admit that this is just specualtion on my part.

Reactions: 1
I have to say if my partner disappeared into thin air I wouldn’t stop looking for them. I can understand why he was out there looking especially if the official searches had been halted.

I don’t think there’s anything to say he actually recovered Esther or her things. I read it as he spotted her and alerted the police. I don’t think it was an attempt to muddle the forensics.

Reactions: 8
But the fact remains she climbed the pic de sauvegarde for a second time, setting out very late for a climb.
I am not sure she did actually climb it twice. The photo of her taken by another hiker was a different peak. But the reason for a second climb may have been better weather; to see the views missed on the first ascent.

I also think setting off late is not as much of an odd thing to do as I thought it was, especially if you are planning on overnighting on the mountain. People who wild camp on the hill tops do set off later, otherwise they're standing around in the cold on the top waiting for bedtime!

Reactions: 4

Well that’s what I’d do if I were them. I’d let him feel ok but release certain things via media to unsettle him. Certain bits of info which would make him react and worry. The constant drip of pressure will force him to make an error eventually or crumble. If he is guilty then he’ll be under enormous pressure carrying it on his own.
I hope the police are that good, but do you really think they are?! I went to them once for help about something and they were absolutely useless and all my friends and family have had similar experiences. I doubt it is that intentional. I know the FBI were amazing getting Chris Watts, but this is British Police, and I would think it was unlikely any of them are going to want the expense of an over seas case. Most just want an explanation that fits. The papers might just be trying to avoid a slander case.

The one thing I struggle with re the boyfriend is he mentioned they spoke every single day. However their last contact was the 22nd November according to newspapers and he didn't report her missing at all until the 24th November. Everything I've read suggests if she made it to the refuge she was trying to reach, the signal would have been fine to send a message.

As a partner, if my boyfriend was up hiking alone and I didn't hear from him one day when we had been communicating regularly, I wouldn't even give it a night. I would be reporting that straight away.

I also notice he talks about her in the past tense a lot. Could be a coincidence but...

Reactions: 13
The one thing I struggle with re the boyfriend is he mentioned they spoke every single day. However their last contact was the 22nd November according to newspapers and he didn't report her missing at all until the 24th November. Everything I've read suggests if she made it to the refuge she was trying to reach, the signal would have been fine to send a message.

As a partner, if my boyfriend was up hiking alone and I didn't hear from him one day when we had been communicating regularly, I wouldn't even give it a night. I would be reporting that straight away.

I also notice he talks about her in the past tense a lot. Could be a coincidence but...

This was where he first publicly talks about her in the past tense. It was just a few days after she went missing and although he corrects himself and carries on talking, he seems to be trying hard not to smirk, and is very calm and matter of fact about the fact she is missing. Although I suppose the calmness could be numbness, and the smirking could be trying not to cry? If the police have really ruled him definitively out then we are completely barking up the wrong tree with our armchair analysis of his behaviour and it was either a tragic accident or suicide.

Reactions: 10
Everything I've read suggests if she made it to the refuge she was trying to reach, the signal would have been fine to send a message.
From what I've seen, there was no mobile signal at the refuge. But if she had continued her planned route the next day, then within 30mins of leaving the hut, she would have reached an area with mobile coverage.

He will not have known the extent of the mobile signal coverage and it's not unfeasible that she could be walking in an area without signal for a day or two.

The past tense is probably a bit of a red-herring at this point. It was a good 2 weeks from her going missing, very unlikely anyone would survive that long. So he will have been dealing with the likely prospect she had perished on the mountain. If he'd referred to her in the past tense a day after she went missing, that would be different. The other possibility is he had fallen out of love with her a long time ago and it was just a truthful slip; that alive or dead, he didn't love her anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7

This was where he first publicly talks about her in the past tense. It was just a few days after she went missing and although he corrects himself and carries on talking, he seems to be trying hard not to smirk, and is very calm and matter of fact about the fact she is missing. Although I suppose the calmness could be numbness, and the smirking could be trying not to cry? If the police have really ruled him definitively out then we are completely barking up the wrong tree with our armchair analysis of his behaviour and it was either a tragic accident or suicide.
I just watched that for the first time. To me, he doesn’t come across as I would expect. Your partner is missing, you’re worried sick, you don’t sleep well, you’re helpless and vulnerable.., the last thing you want us to be interviewed because of the state you’re in. Ok, everyone’s different but he was calm enough to confidently correct his ‘I loved her’. He doesnt have the air of an anxious boyfriend, worried sick about the welfare of his girlfriend who could be trapped with broken limbs and starving to death. More like a man who is almost enjoying his interview and directing the situation.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.