Missing Blogger Esther Dingley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just seen a news story that says she may not be found for five years as they suspect she slipped on a part of the mountain which was icy ... may sound dumb here but why can’t they go and search that area then? Rather than leave her :( surely a big search team and all the equipment would be safe?
Maybe covered in deep snow which freezes and becomes part of the glacier? Just guessing

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Just seen a news story that says she may not be found for five years as they suspect she slipped on a part of the mountain which was icy ... may sound dumb here but why can’t they go and search that area then? Rather than leave her :( surely a big search team and all the equipment would be safe?
Mm.... often people missing on mountains aren't looked for, for very long. They often rely on the fact that someone hiking will find them. It can be hard to get a body out of the snow/down from the mountain. Really quite grim.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Why do you say ‘pseudo-intellectual’ petitspois? He does have a first from Oxford, a doctorate and was an academic.
Because it seems to me that if he were genuinely bright, he would just get on with his life and achievements but it seems like he's in Pseud's Corner in Private Eye. He might have paper qualifications but didn't last long in the field in which he is qualified.

Because it seems to me that if he were genuinely bright, he would just get on with his life and achievements but it seems like he's in Pseud's Corner in Private Eye. He might have paper qualifications but didn't last long in the field in which he is qualified.
Petitpois yes.

And also, notice how cold the poems are? Usually when it's a great poet we can feel the emotion behind their words. Or their words leave us with emotion.

His are detached. He talks about hate, using people etc. About needing space. He is thinking out loud.

Zero emotion.

Reactions: 5
No I dont really understand how you can even live life if you are constantly getting the camera out and posting.

Yes I think you are right there - the trouble is many people get depressed thinking that these people with picture perfect lives are the norm.
Probably quite the opposite...

In fact I think I prefer reading about the people whose lives are imperfect -makes me feel normal :D
Yes indeed it does!!

Reactions: 1
She had a GPS. Just checked.

"Her last contact with Colegate was via a WhatsApp call on Sunday 22 November, when she indicated she was on the Pic de Sauvegarde.

“After that she put her phone on airplane mode to save the battery and there is no data use or GPS trace since then. We have no indication of whether she crossed the border"

Guardian 30 November.

Just realised flight mode was activated just after her call with DC.

Same article:

He said that Colegate, also from Durham, was also searching the mountain... but was not with the rescue teams.

He prefers to walk on his own,” the gendarme said.

I'm trying to picture myself, frantic about a loved one, telling the rescue teams that I don't want to walk with them.

I can't imagine being so rude to people trying to find someone I loved.

Can you?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I’m thinking he may have searched on his own because he was sure he knew the small area where she must be and was frustrated that the search teams were not looking hard enough there.

She had a GPS. Just checked.

"Her last contact with Colegate was via a WhatsApp call on Sunday 22 November, when she indicated she was on the Pic de Sauvegarde.

“After that she put her phone on airplane mode to save the battery and there is no data use or GPS trace since then. We have no indication of whether she crossed the border"

Guardian 30 November.

Just realised flight mode was activated just after her call with DC.
This reads like there was no GPS picked up from her phone since it was on flight mode, not like she had a separate GPS tracker.

Reactions: 6
This reads like there was no GPS picked up from her phone since it was on flight mode, not like she had a separate GPS tracker.
Most likely - one less item to carry.

You can use your Whatsapp account on another phone.

It's annoying how these posts get bundled.

That was done as a separate post.

NEW POST - hint to Tattle devs.

Hypothetically one could leave one's registered phone at home.

Having added one's whatsapp account to a 2nd phone.

If you look at the job specs for housitting ads in Haute Pyrenees most require wood chopping & outdoor tasks.

So one could feasibly go off to the forest to chop firewood or a similar lengthy activity, making sure to be seen setting off, but actually travel to Luchon in 1hr.

Then it would take 4-5hrs hiking to get to ED.

One could call her from one's other phone. Different sim card & phone.

Whatsapp would be the same.

A person could be close by to ED on the mountain, end the call, surprise her & flip the phone to flight mode.

Imagine cops trying to get the alibi of someone who was "chopping wood" in the Arreau forest for several hours? Not easy.

And if that person's phone was at home, even more difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I don't think you can have the same watsapp account active on two different numbers. It always asks you to close one, so the old device says 'no longer registered'. At least that's what has always happened for me. I suppose there is a way around it?

Personally I don't think he has anything to do with her disappearance. I'll agree he does come across a bit awkwardly on camera, the long blinking/talking with eyes shut doesn't help but I doubt that's a new thing and I don't think he's particularly sinister.

I'm still not overly concerned about the way he writes in the book. Mainly because when me and my other half went through a rough patch a few years ago, had I written a book, I may have worded things similarly. We loathed each other, there was no love left etc. Yet here we are still married - and happily. Relationships have peaks and troughs.

I don't think them travelling is anything sinister like him deliberately trying to get her away. They made a decision together to try and make themselves happier, after life dealt them a rough deal. She's been very open about being diagnosed with anxiety and depression. GAD can be a stand alone diagnosis without PTSD, however I can see how she may suffer from PTSD given the circumstances that Dan nearly died in.

With regard to the house sitting review, is that the photo of the person underneath the review? If so, it isn't her account surely? Doubt she'd use a fake photo.

I haven't really seen anything that suggests he's anything other than an educated, articulate but slightly anxious man, shoved into a situation he doesn't know how to deal with. I understand why some consider him suspicious but for me, that threshold isn't met.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The things that puzzle me:

1. Her mother said in the statement that she & ED spoke several times a day.

So why did it take 3 days for DC to raise the alarm? Her mother must have been on his back daily.

2. Why did DC initially say it was common for her to be out of contact for a day or two. Then recently states they spoke every day?

3. Why have the search dogs not scented her trail?

I don't think you can have the same watsapp account active on two different numbers. It always asks you to close one, so the old device says 'no longer registered'. At least that's what has always happened for me. I suppose there is a way around it?

Personally I don't think he has anything to do with her disappearance. I'll agree he does come across a bit awkwardly on camera, the long blinking/talking with eyes shut doesn't help but I doubt that's a new thing and I don't think he's particularly sinister.

I'm still not overly concerned about the way he writes in the book. Mainly because when me and my other half went through a rough patch a few years ago, had I written a book, I may have worded things similarly. We loathed each other, there was no love left etc. Yet here we are still married - and happily. Relationships have peaks and troughs.

I don't think them travelling is anything sinister like him deliberately trying to get her away. They made a decision together to try and make themselves happier, after life dealt them a rough deal. She's been very open about being diagnosed with anxiety and depression. GAD can be a stand alone diagnosis without PTSD, however I can see how she may suffer from PTSD given the circumstances that Dan nearly died in.

With regard to the house sitting review, is that the photo of the person underneath the review? If so, it isn't her account surely? Doubt she'd use a fake photo.

I haven't really seen anything that suggests he's anything other than an educated, articulate but slightly anxious man, shoved into a situation he doesn't know how to deal with. I understand why some consider him suspicious but for me, that threshold isn't met.
Read the article.

It tells you how to do it.

Reactions: 2
The things that puzzle me:

1. Her mother said in the statement that she & ED spoke several times a day.

So why did it take 3 days for DC to raise the alarm? Her mother must have been on his back daily.

2. Why did DC initially say it was common for her to be out of contact for a day or two. Then recently states they spoke every day?

3. Why have the search dogs not scented her trail?

Read the article.

It tells you how to do it.
That article says it's a feature that is 'coming soon' though, not already available.

Reactions: 1
If Esther had an accident and fell then there’s nothing anyone can do now but wait for searches to resume in Spring. So for that reason I choose only to discuss foul play. I have discounted voluntary disappearance as I don’t believe this is something Esther would be capable of, knowing how distressed her close relatives would be.
She climbed the peak twice and on the second occasion she was ascending unusually late in the day for a climb, as verified by Vigo. Therefore it seems that the theory that she was heading to meet someone is feasible. She or someone using her phone sends a WhatsApp selfie to DC at 4pm.
She doesn’t appear to go to the refuge so what on earth happens to her ?

Why do the police put it out there to the public that her home life isn’t as idyllic as it looks??
why would they release that to the public!?
There has to be an aim or objective ... to prepare the public or to apply pressure on someone? If they are applying pressure on someone then I’m logically concluding that she was going to meet the person they’re putting pressure on.

It just goes round and round in my head ...so frustrating

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
So, those that don't think she has been harmed by DC, what are your thoughts?

I'm leaning toward an accident. I am open minded to a stranger attack. I don't think she has harmed herself.

I'm trying to keep an open mind. Even if she is found and its ruled an accident mud sticks so he'll always have suspicion hanging over his head.

I think the police have more information from phone signals than they’ve released to the public. As reported, ‘signals were excellent” due to nearby masts.

So, those that don't think she has been harmed by DC, what are your thoughts?

I'm leaning toward an accident. I am open minded to a stranger attack. I don't think she has harmed herself.

I too don't think there is enough to suggest Dc is involved (although he may be, but the 'evidence' so far is a stretch, to say the least). I personally think she has had an accident of some kind, not necessarily fatal, maybe even a head injury causing concussion/amnesia.

He failed at an academic career (which isn't cut throat, it's quite relaxed and rewarding) so decided to phrase that as getting out of the rat race.
Not sure where you got this info from but this is not remotely true! The only stable jobs in academia are teaching, and even then the pressure is high because you still need to publish to obtain a promotion yet you have no time factored into your work hours in which to do that research. If pursuing the research route it most certainly is a rat race. Two year temp contracts with no guarantee of work after each one. Academia is most certainly not relaxed! There is also a view that if you leave academia you have ‘failed’, I know this as I myself left it to go into practice. So I imagine even if he chose to leave as opposed to being quietly elbowed out if he couldn’t keep up that would cause a huge amount of resentment, anger, and sense of failure as you said. Some people find it really hard to let it go even if they don’t want to do it anymore, it can be a really toxic culture.

Just sat and read this whole thread, absolutely loving Johara’s posts! Not 100% sure what I think yet, the partner seems dodgy - seems like too many ‘coincidences’ for me - but equally I can see how she could’ve fallen or something too.

Glad you raised that. No idea why all my posts get bunched together.

Can you advise how to write individually to each person without it gathering other posts into the mix?
If you post quite soon after your last post and nobody else has posted in between, they merge into one post unfortunately. If a certain time period has elapsed they will appear as separate posts but I don’t know exactly how long it is.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.