Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Remember when the internet cost a shit load, it took up the phone line and it would take half an hour to download an MP3, only then to find out it was the wrong one!?

You'd get a phone bill for 150 and another bill from AOL for 200 a month 😆 back then this was a lot more!
Our dial up cost 1p a minute so I was only allowed on for one hour a day not a minute longer. “It all adds up” my step dad used to say. I’d try and offer to pay out of my own pocket money for more internet time😂

Broadband was mind blowing when that got popular.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7

Warpaint

VIP Member
Love this thread!!!
So many memories! I remember msn and when you had video cam you were really cool it was plugged in to the computer rather than being built in 😂 I remember my first mobile phone was a bt cell net and I had a Minnie Mouse cover for it and thought I was the bees knees. Does anyone remember Snake on nokia phones?
I loved habbo hotel too I had habbo club and thought I was the best ever with my sofa 😂😂😂 does anyone remember there would be like rooms and you would change your outfits for fashion shows in habbo?
i also loved the sims!!
Ps avocado on toast is the best you just need to season it - my faves are black pepper and chilli 👌

Ps I never had the chocolate coin making kit but I did have one called the chocolate factory and I made my own Easter eggs on it and it was sooooooo cool loved it so much!!
Wow forgot about Habbo Hotel! Possibly the dodgiest site on the internet at the time LOL. It was even more of a wild west back then. But when you're like 12/13 you don't think anything of it

• Haha

Smallpotato

VIP Member
I started chatting to this guy on ICQ and we each took a friend to the mall with us to meet up. This random ICQ chat guy and I have been friends for over 20 years now! I ended up meeting my husband through him, he walked me down the aisle at my wedding, and I'm godmother to his son. 😊

My life would be so different without a millennial chat program and the good old days to naively chatting to strangers on the Internet. 😂
I love this! How amazing is that? Some of my IG friends I met through a Kerrang! message board and I’m still speaking to them 20 years later

• Heart

mcfeez

VIP Member
What was all your favourite tv shows you loved to watch growing up?
As a kid I loved Cartoon Network. I remember being obsessed with the Powerpuff Girls in primary school. Also really liked Pokemon and Dragonball Z.

Getting older loved Nickelodeon - Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Saved by the Bell.

• Heart

Tommyb

Chatty Member
Born in 1992. Lots of memories from other poster but I also remember

Furbys
Baby born/baby choochoo and that baby that ate the cherries on a plastic spoon. They just shot up the spoon 🤣.
I also collected China dollls. Can't shift them now 😁
Bubble bags, blow up furniture
Peddle pushers and clogg shoes!
Those round bath melt things you used to get maybe oil beads?
Groovy chick
I also had a pair of trainer skates. They were soo heavy with giant wheels inside. You pushed a button to rollerskate.
My first phone was the Nokia 3310 with the classic Winnie the Pooh case!
TURKEY TWIZZLERS
Trouser skirts 🥺
Crazy broad hair tool. Just used to know my hair
Even had a mannequin doll to cut hair!
I miss it!

• Heart

Warpaint

VIP Member
The Disney Channel used to be great as well back in the day - Recess, Honey I Shrunk the kids, Home Improvement, Boy Meets World, Lizzie McGuire and let's not forget the greatest 8 Simple Rules

They also used to have a big Disney movie once a week

Reactions: 6

Kim Mild

VIP Member
The phone thing is interesting. I remember seeing adults with mobile phones occasionally in around 1998, but people my age started getting them in late 1999/2000 when we were 16 / 17. Like 1 person from school had a mobile before our gcse exams ( and someone was jealous so they brought their dad's old one in that didn't work).

I wonder it was only acceptable need a phone around that age. Like we were out and about away from home and getting in touch was beneficial.

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
*spits tea*

I need a time machine, ASAP.
My parents got a 100% mortgage and paid less than £15k for their house in 1982.

I remember my dad having some sort of brick phone when I was about 8. I got my first phone at 15, much later than my friends and it was only because I got the bus home.

Habbo Hotel! I love that.

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I loved JW books too! They definitely covered decent topics, I remember Girls Out Late etc talked about periods, losing virginity etc. In Lola Rose the mum got cancer didn't she? I thought it was good that the books talked about semi serious/serious topics in a way that wasn't over the top for younger people.
She actually tackled some really important issues from the perspective of children and young people, but she did it in a way that was age appropriate. I loved The Suitcase Kid because Andy’s life was literally mine and it was the only book I knew of at the time that represented a family that was similar to mine.

• Heart

JLXRD

VIP Member
I got to read Chamber of Secrets as one of my class books in primary school and remember how freaky I found it! I also was terrified by the opening of Goblet of Fire - the story of them finding the dead Riddles.

I bought the last few books at midnight sales too and literally didnt sleep til the morning I was so engrossed. I love thinking about that excitement.
Aww yes I loved queueing up at midnight to get the later books and then reading them all night! The best feeling, wish I could that excited about a book series again.

It’s the 20th anniversary of the first HP film this year which is nuts. Makes me feel horribly old 😂 I remember making my grandparents take me to see it every weekend for over a month.

• Heart

GiftedNotFree

VIP Member
Wow forgot about Habbo Hotel! Possibly the dodgiest site on the internet at the time LOL. It was even more of a wild west back then. But when you're like 12/13 you don't think anything of it
I was born in 1990 and spent most of 2002/03 on Habbo Hotel. It was definitely dodgy 🤪 “bobba”.

Funny side note… I met two guys on there that I’m still friends with today!! They weren’t weirdos 🤣 and lived a few hours away from me. In 2005 my dad drove me to meet them at their parents house 😂!

sleepflowers

VIP Member
I got my first phone just before I started senior school in 2004, I think that was perfect timing. Also remember getting a £70 phone bill because I downloaded wallpapers and ringtones haha

• Haha