Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

nbt

VIP Member
Born in 1989. Grew up climbing trees, wearing trackies that had poppers all the way up to my arse. Was allowed to bike wherever I wanted around the village and if I dared go home, was just told to “get back outside and play while it’s nice”. Didn’t text my mates asking if they were coming out (because I didn’t have a phone at that point), just used to go and call for them.

Got a phone at 11 years old and had to go and buy £10 top ups every month with my pocket money. When I got my first Nokia I was allowed to buy a ringtone and background from the back of a magazine. Think I had Britney Spears, obvs. Spent my evenings chatting with my friends on MSN and playing on Habbo Hotel.

Now have teenage stepchildren and a 9 year old and the difference between me growing up and them growing up is huge.

So pleased to have grown up when I did!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I feel like I can’t keep up with house prices and that we will never be able to save enough to buy off our own back. I’ve basically given up on the idea, inheritance is our only hope and that is never a guarantee.

Also feel like it’s impossible to keep up with all the things you need to save for. Trying to save up for a house deposit whilst also trying to ensure you have a decent pension is almost impossible and leaves little room for anything fun in life. Meanwhile the cost of everything is increasing and wages stay the same.
Same here. There was a time when £10k would have been a big enough deposit where I live to buy a 1-bed flat. By the time I'd saved that, the 1-bed flats had increased so much in price that £10k was no longer enough. Now that a 1-bed flat is no longer big enough because I work from home, I'd need a 2-bed place & that's waaaaaayyyy out of my price range unless I somehow get a £100k deposit. So I've pretty much abandoned the idea of trying to buy my own home, unless I can move to a different part of the country... if my partner wants a long distance relationship or if we split up!

• Sad
  • Wow

tortfeasor

How many of us used to have a tamagotchi which looking after pretty much ruled every minute of life. The little fuckers were always beeping for something
I did and think it’s what made me decide I didn’t want to have children…ever!! :ROFLMAO:

I remember the demand for them being so high they were sold out everywhere for weeks. I seem to remember Currys was telling customers to put their names and phone numbers down on a waiting list in-store and they’d phone customers when new stock arrived. I eventually got mine before the summer holidays. Within weeks of the new school term starting the teachers were so fed up with them that they were confiscating them. I remember one of my classmates crying her eyes out when our teacher gave here back at the end of the day and the tamagotchi had died.:LOL:I think my record with a Tamagotchi was 23 days.

• Haha
  • Heart

mcfeez

VIP Member
Born 1991 - I am super defensive of the millennial generation. I'm also really sick of it being used as a word by people just to describe any lazy younger folk i.e. have heard someone complaining about the "ungrateful 13 year old millenials" ??

I enjoy avocado the same as I like many things but could happily live without it. One thing a lot of people my age seem OBSESSED with is brunch and going out for breakfasts which is something I do not connect with haha.

I remember doing GCSE coursework, that would have been in around 2007 I think and USB hard drives still being a relatively 'fancy' thing not everyone had. One girl used a floppy disk to store hers on! That seems nuts now.

• Haha
  • Wow

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I'm actually still so sad I'm actually Gen Z 😅😰😭 does anyone still watch "old" TV comedy shows? Love BritBox :giggle:
I started watching Fraiser when I was 16. It has never dated and it's so wonderfully written. I LOVED Niles crane the most.

The CD inserts with art and lyrics were *everything*

I think my current obsession with fun kitchen gadgets is my way of compensating for never owning an Easy-Bake Oven 😂
Anyone have a Mr Frosty? Or a chocolate coin making kit? I never got one. :(

My cousins and I would pour over the argos catalog and circle almost everything. I also grew up in Toysrus.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Wow forgot about Habbo Hotel! Possibly the dodgiest site on the internet at the time LOL. It was even more of a wild west back then. But when you're like 12/13 you don't think anything of it
Omg on Habbo when you’d type in a swear word to chat to someone but they changed it to “Bobba”. So what the fuck became “What the Bobba” 🤣 🤣

• Haha

PaintPots

Born mid 80s. I have no savings. I feel like the cost of living just keeps rising and that I can't keep up with it.

• Heart
  • Sad

JLXRD

VIP Member
I was really into Sailor Moon and the worst witch when I was younger, then Sabrina the Teenage Witch, That’s So Raven, Kim Possible, Lizzie McGuire, Unfabulous, Doug, Pepper Ann, hey Arnold.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

JLXRD

VIP Member
This was the real deal, I made badges out of every pic I could find 😂 also had catchy song when the ad played on Nickelodeon when they used to play back to back Sabrina the Teenage Witch!

EBAE58E3-9376-4434-89CD-E715B347DBC9.jpeg

• Heart

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I loved Cartoon Network. Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Secret Squirrel, Two Stupid Dogs, all the ‘what a cartoon’ shorts, Johnny Quest, Flintstones, Jetsons, Flying Rhino Junior High, Fat Dog Mendoza, Osmosis Jones, Sharky and George. I could go on!

Also used to enjoy cbbc and citv before they got their own channels and it was on for a few hours after school. Bernards Watch, Tracy Beaker, jungle run, 50/50, Get Your Own Back, Queens Nose, Grange Hill (everyone had a crush on ‘Togger’), Byker Grove, The Stables, Blue Peter when it was actually good. Those were the days.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
Remember when the internet cost a shit load, it took up the phone line and it would take half an hour to download an MP3, only then to find out it was the wrong one!?

You'd get a phone bill for 150 and another bill from AOL for 200 a month 😆 back then this was a lot more!

• Haha
Funny side note… I met two guys on there that I’m still friends with today!! They weren’t weirdos 🤣 and lived a few hours away from me. In 2005 my dad drove me to meet them at their parents house 😂!
I started chatting to this guy on ICQ and we each took a friend to the mall with us to meet up. This random ICQ chat guy and I have been friends for over 20 years now! I ended up meeting my husband through him, he walked me down the aisle at my wedding, and I'm godmother to his son. 😊

My life would be so different without a millennial chat program and the good old days to naively chatting to strangers on the Internet. 😂

• Heart
  • Haha

Olive16

Does anyone remember zzzzap? I remember it used to be on just as I had to leave for swimming lessons and 6 year old me was always fuming about it 🤣
Yesssss!!!
Daisy Dares was my Fave - The Hands used to scare me though! 🤣🤣

What was all your favourite tv shows you loved to watch growing up?
Anyone remember Fun House!!
🎶 Fun House, A Whole Lot Of Fun... 🎶

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9