Meteorology moaning - aka the weather, let’s moan about the heat 🥵🔥☀️🔥

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s predicted mid 30s where I am Monday and Tuesday and can’t decide what to do about my kids and school. My son in year 7 says several of his friends aren’t going in but unsure if that’s a fact. He has to wear uniform, carry all his books plus 2 bottles of water and walk 2 miles each way. I walk my youngest to school ( 15 minutes each way, uphill) and I can’t cope over 25 degrees, I really struggle and get headache.
My eldest has asthma and he really struggles in heat 😔 thankfully he doesn’t work Mondays and Tuesdays

My son is meant to have sports day on Tuesday, which is meant to be our hottest day. I’m hoping they cancel it, he gets way too hot anyway so hell end up poorly if he has to run around in 32/33 degrees.

I don't mind the heat so much, I do hate the cast of bugs life that swoop in as soon as the doors open though!!! Bloody flies 😳 😪
My mum has poured salt in all the windows that are open and I haven’t seen any flies. Don’t know where she read it, seems to be a take on the salt in bins thing, but it might be working

How are people dealing with the heat and their pets? My dogs aren’t smart enough to just lay on their cooling mats and with the weather predicting 34+ degrees I’m a bit worried

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It’s predicted mid 30s where I am Monday and Tuesday and can’t decide what to do about my kids and school. My son in year 7 says several of his friends aren’t going in but unsure if that’s a fact. He has to wear uniform, carry all his books plus 2 bottles of water and walk 2 miles each way. I walk my youngest to school ( 15 minutes each way, uphill) and I can’t cope over 25 degrees, I really struggle and get headache.
My eldest has asthma and he really struggles in heat 😔 thankfully he doesn’t work Mondays and Tuesdays
I think children should stay home. Insist if you must. It'll only be for a few days, no big deal. I reckon a fair few families will be pulling kids out next week.

I'm not sending my children in if it's as hot as they've predicted. My husband has said he's not going to work either as he works outside and is hard as it is

My mum has poured salt in all the windows that are open and I haven’t seen any flies. Don’t know where she read it, seems to be a take on the salt in bins thing, but it might be working

How are people dealing with the heat and their pets? My dogs aren’t smart enough to just lay on their cooling mats and with the weather predicting 34+ degrees I’m a bit worried
My dog is similar. The number of cooling mats I've bought her while she lies on a rug, panting because she's too bloody hot 🙄 It sounds daft but I rinsed a tea towel in cool (not freezing cold as I believe that can cause them to go into shock) tap water and draped it over her. Not sure if it helped but she was fine with that than actually sitting on the cooling mat. My dog has also just had her groom so hoping her shorter coat helps her next week. PS My dog is a terrier so does fit under a tea towel.

Reactions: 3
I don’t cope well in anything over 23/24 I’ve never tolerated heat well and my eyes are so sensitive. I’m now on sertraline which apparnelty make you worse with the heat so I have no chance 🤦‍♀️ Is anyone else just immediately weak while it’s hot? Can barely lift a finger lol. I really worry about wildlife in this heat I always put a bowl out for them in the garden and try to feed the ducks/birds regularly also!! I also worry about my two cats as they seem to struggle in the heat :( not sure how to help them with all that fur makes me feel sad! They have plenty of water bowls, and I put ice packs under there beds so it’s cool all night sometimes I brush them with a wet brush too xx
Oh and I don’t have children Yet but to address above comments mine wouldn’t be going if it hit 30 esp with the schools stupid policy’s on keeping blazers on and having to wear trousers etc when the teachers are walking around in sandals and a dress

Reactions: 4
Fellow heat hater here. The older I get, the less I can tolerate it. It just whacks my energy, gives me a headache, makes me sweat and makes me grumpy. It’s my cut and colour on Saturday morning at the hairdressers and my hair will probably be wrecked by Sunday due to sweating and humidity. I like to have a daily walk, but I won’t be walking in 30+ degrees. That’s another thing I hate about it - you just can’t do normal activities.

I emailed my son’s school today asking if he could wear sandals next week due to the heat (he’s 8). His feet get so sweaty in socks and black leather shoes - I certainly wouldn’t wear those myself in 30+ degrees. I got a reply saying no for health and safety reasons and was told all classrooms are air conditioned. That’s all well and good, but you still have to get to school and back and no idea if they will have them playing outside.

I ordered us both a fan each off Amazon today, being delivered tomorrow. I really struggled to sleep earlier this week and next week will be so much worse.

High teens / low twenties with low humidity is perfect, there’s just no pleasure in extreme heat. Hope this is it for summer after next week.

• Sad
My dog is similar. The number of cooling mats I've bought her while she lies on a rug, panting because she's too bloody hot 🙄 It sounds daft but I rinsed a tea towel in cool (not freezing cold as I believe that can cause them to go into shock) tap water and draped it over her. Not sure if it helped but she was fine with that than actually sitting on the cooling mat. My dog has also just had her groom so hoping her shorter coat helps her next week. PS My dog is a terrier so does fit under a tea towel.
Don't drape it over her, encourage her to lay on it. Draping traps the heat (vet nurse)

Reactions: 6
It is currently 14 degrees and rainy....got to love Scotland 🤣 It's been nice most of the day with some heavy ninja showers that last 5 mins then dry again but definitely helping to keep that muggy feeling away.

A friend was telling me of her foreign holiday coming up and what ridiculous temperature it was going to be then commiserated that I wouldn't have the same on my holiday in North of Scotland. I cannot think anywhere I'd like to be less than sweating it out at some foreign hotel in the middle of summer.

It’s now saying 38 for Tuesday. I think my partner will take the day off which will be a big help as he can drive us somewhere cooler.
38 is insane. I really feel for anyone enduring that. Think our top temperature is going to be 28 and that sounds bad enough.

Please keep your pets indoors 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 3
So far I have Boots cooling spray, 2 pet cooling mats, a neck fan, and even some bio freeze cooling spray for hurt muscles! As well as numerous fans.
neck fan is great, some how if your head is cooler it’s better.

My dog keeps digging up the garden then laying on top of where he's dug....it's incredibly annoying from our perspective but presumably it's cooling for him!

Central London next week 40° is predicted. I'm pretty worried as am in work every day next week and can only travel on the tube. The air will be soaking wet down there 🤢

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
It’s showing 31, 36 and 38 in my area next Sun, Mon and Tues 😅

Yesterday and today has felt lovely at about 23 degrees. Although my son has asked for a hot water bottle the last two nights 😐

His school sent out a notification earlier for the temps next week just to say they can wear their PE kit, stay inside at break/lunch, no outdoor PE and the kids will be encouraged to drink plenty of water. I’m pleased they’ve acknowledged it and sent something out in good time.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.