Matt Haig

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
F5CE3C34-E641-491E-A7DA-E109E41FDE23.jpeg

I know this isn’t his quote but he claims her quotes are like “pep talks to him”.

I find this kind of self help tosh really offensive. If you are suffering any kind of MH condition, you may not be able to enjoy life it or taste it for certain periods of it while your condition is waging war.

Similarly, we do have power over our circumstances in some situations and it can be dangerous to assert otherwise. One aspect of depression is hopelessness and helplessness in the face of certain situations and the treatment regarding this is learning to overcome these reactions you have when those circumstances might be repeated in the future.

He is encouraging people here to do things that a) they may be unable to do or b) may contribute further to a MH disorder. Once again, way off the mark.

Reactions: 10
View attachment 635279
I know this isn’t his quote but he claims her quotes are like “pep talks to him”.

I find this kind of self help tosh really offensive. If you are suffering any kind of MH condition, you may not be able to enjoy life it or taste it for certain periods of it while your condition is waging war.

Similarly, we do have power over our circumstances in some situations and it can be dangerous to assert otherwise. One aspect of depression is hopelessness and helplessness in the face of certain situations and the treatment regarding this is learning to overcome these reactions you have when those circumstances might be repeated in the future.

He is encouraging people here to do things that a) they may be unable to do or b) may contribute further to a MH disorder. Once again, way off the mark.
To be quite honest, he’s no better than these people who tell people with depression to ‘snap out of it’. You’d think having mental health issues himself he’d understand that. When I had a massive breakdown last summer, reading patronising tosh like this and the tit he spouts didn’t help unsurprisingly. His ‘advice’ is quite dangerous and he’s too self absorbed to care.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Posted this on the Jack Monroe thread but think it is relevant here too...

Everyone has physical health and everyone has mental health. But when discussing physical health we don’t compare a bruise with a chronic fatigue illness nor a broken bone with paralysis. However when it comes to mental health it appears people will link a down day with chronic depression.

The need to open up discussions about mental health issues sometimes seems to be damaging them. If you have a chemical imbalance in your brain then listening to sodding ‘Walking on sunshine’ will not fix it, you need professional medical help and medicine.
In the same way that if you had diabetes you would be given proper medical support not told to read a self help book. *Walking on sunshine, comes from an article in an online magazine that Jack is supposed to write for, the article is about songs to lift depression.*

It absolutely infuriates me that the range of emotions we do and should feel are used by many influencers to claim mental health issues. Shopping, music, reading, exercising, walking, gardening are all productive uses of time that could enhance your day and emotions but will not fix a proper chemical imbalance that is a mental illness.

*I haven’t read the music article, I won’t give them traffic but we do need to discuss the difference between mental health and mental illness in the same way we do with physical health and physical Illness and I doubt that article goes anywhere near this issue!

Ted talk over. 😀

• Heart
Reactions: 15
another page from what I am now calling "The Comfort Break Book" as it is becoming increasingly clear that this thing is a toilet book

20210627_162710.jpg

the idea that saying no to things you don't enjoy is better for your mental health?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
He’s basically the equivalent of someone says ‘cheer up’. His stuff is well meaning I’m sure but doesn’t really seem to do much in the long run

Reactions: 15
His books strike me as just a word salad version of those “live, laugh, love” signs.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
As a mental health worker I'd recommend Brene Brown as far as self-help books go as an alternative to Haig.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

so. many. thoughts...

1. what an insufferable prick
2. how about not writing a book that will be spoofed and hated? oh yeah, 🤑 🤑 🤑
3. comparing yourself to Ian McEwan? seriously?? have a bleeping word
4. The Humans is a "high-concept, quasi-philosophical novel" really? i must have read a different book called The Humans
5. oh crap, I agree with Sarah Ditum about something 😖
6. acres of white space in the comfort break book... sounds like not much effort and kinda bad for the environment tbh
7. i too have anxiety, tinnitus and low self-esteem. i will gladly write crap books for loads of money and a nice mc lifestyle and not complain about it
8. quotes on tea towels! aren't the publishers ever so clever and witty!
9. i really could've just stopped at no 1, couldn't i?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
3. I don’t know which one I liked the best… Saturday or On Chesil Beach.

Either way, he is nowhere near Ian McEwan.

If he tells me to hold on one more time I will eat the rug in my living room.

Furthermore Matt, I don’t want to go to space either. I actually don’t want go to France. I just want to see my Mum and Dad which I haven’t since 8th March 2020.

Piss off.
249361A7-B8D9-4800-9A47-8A9BFCCDEF08.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
3. I don’t know which one I liked the best… Saturday or On Chesil Beach.

Either way, he is nowhere near Ian McEwan.

If he tells me to hold on one more time I will eat the rug in my living room.

Furthermore Matt, I don’t want to go to space either. I actually don’t want go to France. I just want to see my Mum and Dad which I haven’t since 8th March 2020.

Piss off.
View attachment 644882
they're both great. think Atonement's my fave. and this knobhead thinks his tea towel crap and "edgy" early novels are worthy of comparison

nice to see you and hope you're ok @Into_the_tunnel 🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 5
they're both great. think Atonement's my fave. and this knobhead thinks his tea towel crap and "edgy" early novels are worthy of comparison

nice to see you and hope you're ok @Into_the_tunnel 🤗
Thank you…it’s always nice to see a familiar “face” 🤗.

Can’t deal with life and Mx Monroe at the moment😔. Matt is ok though…he tells me to forgive myself completely, like freshening a room. I really don’t know what I would do without his IG feed.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you…it’s always nice to see a familiar “face” 🤗.

Can’t deal with life and Mx Monroe at the moment😔. Matt is ok though…he tells me to forgive myself completely, like freshening a room. I really don’t know what I would do without his IG feed.
we've got a Hattie Gladwell thread now if you want some quieter grifter entertainment 🙂

I'm struggling a bit too at the minute, like when will everything be ok? just remember that you are better than all these grifting twats 🤗

• Heart
we've got a Hattie Gladwell thread now if you want some quieter grifter entertainment 🙂

I'm struggling a bit too at the minute, like when will everything be ok? just remember that you are better than all these grifting twats 🤗
Totes! I may pop over to see you all… I miss the craic.

Sorry things are rubbish too. In the words of karaoke Ian, we just need to HoLd On. Seriously though, sending you hugs through the tattleverse 🤗.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m not one of those sour faced people who think you can’t celebrate birthdays over the age of 10 or anything but jeez I’ve never seen a grown up go on about there birthday as much and wanting so much attention for it.

9am on his birthday he’s sent over 20 tweets in the past hour. Not enjoying his family and presents but tweeting about him self and begging for adoration from strangers.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
I’m not one of those sour faced people who think you can’t celebrate birthdays over the age of 10 or anything but jeez I’ve never seen a grown up go on about there birthday as much and wanting so much attention for it.
I know. I'm embarrassed for him.
It is beyond tragic.

Reactions: 6
Omg the whiny floppy Sadprick and his atrocious mentol ilnuz grifting has a thread! PRAISE BEANS!

• Haha
Reactions: 11