Madeleine Olivia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well it all makes sense now why she has never held down any kind of normal job. Unfortunately I don't think youtube/social media is that great a place for her because 1. she's not particularly good at it, and 2. surrounding herself with an echo chamber that just feeds into (and validates) her myriad delusions really isn't doing herself any favours.

She needs to go and find a job with structured hours that physically exhausts her by the end of the day.

Reactions: 12
Long time reader first time poster (!) I find it interesting she refers to this as trolling - I actually looked up the definition of what it is (back to year 7 assemblies haha) and the intent should be to annoy someone. I think this is not here to try to annoy maddie but to allow space for fair criticism and discussion - which is never allowed in her own space - only praise and anything less than that deleted. I don’t resent her her success but I do think she has a warped perspective on her privilege and on working hard etc. Everyone works hard but not everyone can buy a £550,000 house and then spend tens of thousands of pounds more on doing it up (assuming a whole house of large wooden double glazed sash windows is gonna cost £10k-£20k). I think the strangest thing is that she still talks about minimalism and ethical/sustainable lifestyle but it’s clearly not a priority for her anymore - I think if she just addressed it and said ‘look my perspective has changed a bit, going so extreme on minimalism and sustainability is hard/a challenge for my mental health, I have prioritised writing to my MP and choosing a green energy supplier for my home and making easy day to day choices but I worry a lot less about it now’ I wouldn’t resent that. It’s that it feels like she is just pretending to be something she isn’t.

Reactions: 19
Does this constitute a clearly signposted ad, does anyone know?

genuine question as I feel most people would miss it and it appears a bit sleight of hand to me
A lot of people do this. Boils my piss.
I also thought you had to # the ad.

Although I've never seen a reccomendation from an 'influencer' which isn't an add.

Reactions: 4
Does this constitute a clearly signposted ad, does anyone know?

genuine question as I feel most people would miss it and it appears a bit sleight of hand to me
I genuinely can't see the 'AD' anywhere!? In theory it should be the first thing you see, but I honestly can't see it anywhere if it is disclosed.

ETA spotted it!

Reactions: 1
Watched the most recent video because of the clickbait title :-? Okay so she's calling out the 'mean, miserable people online'. So it's okay for her to call online people miserable.?! Doesn't make sense. This thread is constructive critism because we feel disappointed In her brand and what it was all about. We need more people and people with large platforms talking about Sustainability - we are in a emergency climate crises! Geez she even wrote a book about Sustainability (didn't you know!) As someone pointed out who has only recently started watching Maddie, they never knew she was about Sustainability, which proves the point even more.
With her mental health issues, I really do hope she recovers and get the right help. Anxiety is awful. She seems to have a lot of issues and I wonder what the deep rooted cause is. Her mental health issues appear to have started long before this thread did.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Watched the most recent video because of the clickbait title :-? Okay so she's calling out the 'mean, miserable people online'. So it's okay for her to call online people miserable.?! Doesn't make sense. This thread is constructive critism because we feel disappointed In her brand and what it was all about. We need more people and people with large platforms talking about Sustainability - we are in a emergency climate crises! Geez she even wrote a book about Sustainability (didn't you know!) As someone pointed out who has only recently started watching Maddie, they never knew she was about Sustainability, which proves the point even more.
With her mental health issues, I really do hope she recovers and get the right help. Anxiety is awful. She seems to have a lot of issues and I wonder what the deep rooted cause is. Her mental health issues appear to have started long before this thread did.
I think some threads on this site can be really mean spirited and pretty vile. But most of the time I think it's just a place for people to discuss their disappointment in youtubers that they once admired, and Maddies thread here seems to be mostly that. It's bound to happen when most influencers heavily moderate any and all comments and only allow praise, and the slightest criticism or question worded the wrong way is either met with a really passive aggressive response, getting dogpiled by other commenters who blindly follow the person, or get blocked. I think we can safely say that most people here don't bother leaving comments on her SM, and come here to discuss it instead, there's no trolling. Maddie is actively seeking out this thread when she could just ignore it and I imagine it's frustrating when for the first time, she can't block/delete/control what others have to say about her behaviour because every other space online has turned into an echo chamber of praise for herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I think some threads on this site can be really mean spirited and pretty vile. But most of the time I think it's just a place for people to discuss their disappointment in youtubers that they once admired, and Maddies thread here seems to be mostly that. It's bound to happen when most influencers heavily moderate any and all comments and only allow praise, and the slightest criticism or question worded the wrong way is either met with a really passive aggressive response, getting dogpiled by other commenters who blindly follow the person, or get blocked. I think we can safely say that most people here don't bother leaving comments on her SM, and come here to discuss it instead, there's no trolling. Maddie is actively seeking out this thread when she could just ignore it and I imagine it's frustrating when for the first time, she can't block/delete/control what others have to say about her behaviour because every other space online has turned into an echo chamber of praise for herself.
Yes, absolutely! She is obviously a control freak. It's easier to tell herself that we are mean, miserable trolls . Far from it! :cool: This seems to be one of the kinder threads tbh from some of the others I have read.

Reactions: 7
If we continually posted stuff in her YT comments or Instagram, or engaged with any of her supporters on those sites, THAT would be trolling. Coming to a completely separate site that is clearly named as a 'gossip' site is not trolling.

If Madeleine cannot stop herself from coming here and reading about herself, that is entirely her problem. The world does not revolve around her and her multiple neuroses.
Nobody is forcing her to trawl the internet for any mention of her name. I have never posted or commented on any of her social media but I AM entitled to have an opinion about, and critique, her online content here.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I watched her reacting to old vegan WIAT videos and it was refreshing to hear her say ‘look I was sucked into a bubble and I was trying to convince myself I felt better but I know I didn’t’

Why doesn’t she do that about the pressures of the zero waste and sustainability/minimalism movement. I 100% think sustainability is important which is why I started watching her videos in the first place but also have to say that the social media echo chamber of zero waste and ethical lifestyles etc was really damaging and terrible for my anxiety personally and for loads of people I know.

It was similar to a lot of those diet lifestyles (HCLF etc) - basically a pursuit of perfection/and how things are perceived instead of what it should have been which is people trying to make some lifestyle changes that work for them/the planet/are genuinely healthy (rather than perceived to be healthy).

Maybe she isn’t there yet but it also seems like (for a lot of people as well) moving from one pursuit of a perfect ‘lifestyle’ to another (HCLF, raw till 4, sustainability, zero waste, minimalism). The more I think about it the more I think no wonder she is exhausted and anxious - so much pressure on herself. I’d rather she just said - I don’t need a label and I do care about this stuff but maybe not in such an extreme way anymore.

Reactions: 10
I watched her reacting to old vegan WIAT videos and it was refreshing to hear her say ‘look I was sucked into a bubble and I was trying to convince myself I felt better but I know I didn’t’

Why doesn’t she do that about the pressures of the zero waste and sustainability/minimalism movement. I 100% think sustainability is important which is why I started watching her videos in the first place but also have to say that the social media echo chamber of zero waste and ethical lifestyles etc was really damaging and terrible for my anxiety personally and for loads of people I know.

It was similar to a lot of those diet lifestyles (HCLF etc) - basically a pursuit of perfection/and how things are perceived instead of what it should have been which is people trying to make some lifestyle changes that work for them/the planet/are genuinely healthy (rather than perceived to be healthy).

Maybe she isn’t there yet but it also seems like (for a lot of people as well) moving from one pursuit of a perfect ‘lifestyle’ to another (HCLF, raw till 4, sustainability, zero waste, minimalism). The more I think about it the more I think no wonder she is exhausted and anxious - so much pressure on herself. I’d rather she just said - I don’t need a label and I do care about this stuff but maybe not in such an extreme way anymore.
Exactly. If it's affecting her mental state it's best just to be honest. Not worth getting ill over. Acknowledge and go back to basics :) I have seen other influencers admit when their sustainable habits have slipped a little for whatever reason. Her YouTube channel doesn't have any description in the about section not even vegan food recipes. It's like she's leaving her options open ;)

If we continually posted stuff in her YT comments or Instagram, or engaged with any of her supporters on those sites, THAT would be trolling. Coming to a completely separate site that is clearly named as a 'gossip' site is not trolling.

If Madeleine cannot stop herself from coming here and reading about herself, that is entirely her problem. The world does not revolve around her and her multiple neuroses.
Nobody is forcing her to trawl the internet for any mention of her name. I have never posted or commented on any of her social media but I AM entitled to have an opinion about, and critique, her online content here.
Someone who wants us to buy into her ever changing 'brand' and for followers to fund her lifestyle, but has a tit fit at the idea of any accountability or the merest hint of criticism.

Just a spoiled upper middle class girl who has never had a proper job. SM is full of them.

Reactions: 10
Someone who wants us to buy into her ever changing 'brand' and for followers to fund her lifestyle, but has a tit fit at the idea of any accountability or the merest hint of criticism.

Just a spoiled upper middle class girl who has never had a proper job. SM is full of them.
She's already done books on vegan food, beauty, minimalism. Next she'll bring out her own range of something.. Sunglasses , clothing or beauty products that she can profit off ;)

Reactions: 3
She's already done books on vegan food, beauty, minimalism. Next she'll bring out her own range of something.. Sunglasses , clothing or beauty products that she can profit off ;)
She has already done a clothing range I think? I wanted to support her and looked at buying something but it was very expensive and quite generic. It was ethical and sustainable though, apparently.

Reactions: 5
I think her releasing a generic clothing item defeats the point of being sustainable. Give me something unique otherwise is there a reason to release an item that there are 100's similar of.

Probably being too harsh on her but I am genuinely passionate about sustainable fashion and work with some relevant NGOs so yeah it can wind me up!

Reactions: 7
I'm curious about the big career 'changes'. I wonder if she's jumping on the podcast train or will get a segment on breakfast TV.

Is she writing a new book? When she was showing her new notebook she mentioned writing her book but I wasn’t sure if she meant the notebook or an actual book. Crossed my mind it could have been a slip of the tongue related to the new thing she is hinting at, I’m not sure I’d ever refer to writing in a notebook as ‘writing my book’.

Is she writing a new book? When she was showing her new notebook she mentioned writing her book but I wasn’t sure if she meant the notebook or an actual book. Crossed my mind it could have been a slip of the tongue related to the new thing she is hinting at, I’m not sure I’d ever refer to writing in a notebook as ‘writing my book’.
I noticed this too. Maybe her writing is changing direction?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.