Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bookish

I have a feeling that house is going to be on the market again within a year. It just seems like it's going to be a huge money pit and it's never going to be perfect enough for Madeleine. I bet they spend a total fortune on it before they realise it though.
I second this. I bet they spend a fortune renovating it and then claim that it was never actually intended to be their forever home and it was purely a renovation project (because that's a REALLY sustainable hobby to have, Maddie). Of course, she'll then gaslight her audience and disclaim that she never said otherwise, that she has no idea where people got this idea that it was her forever home from, etc

Reactions: 21

Mjaumjau

Chatty Member
I have watched her videos occasionally, and when the moving vlog appeared on my YT recommended I was like wtf?

I watched the video and I was in a bit of a shock at how much stuff they had, loads of boxes, buying new items which they already own and are pretty new (like the beds). Then it struck me, she's not really special (minimalism, sustainibility, and veganism were what made her stand out), she`s just like the rest of the influencers.

Why I am even surprised by this point, all the "nice" influencers have been acting like sour milk cartons. They want to make money by portraying something online and get angry when you question their motives after they get caught doing the opposite of what they preach.

bookish

She's not the brightest bulb. If she wanted to more subtly showcase her new house without being arrogant, she could have simply named the video "Cooking in my new kitchen".

"What I eat in a day in my new house" just screams Tory-mum in the making.

• Haha

Gigi3006

I used to watch her videos 3-4 years ago. Something about her just started to become really irritating for me, she constantly sounds like she’s about to cry. I actually lived fairly close to where she’s from and had a few mutual acquaintances, by no means close friends, and no one had much to say about her other than she’s rather dramatic and has a big victim mentality. Still a really nice girl and wouldn’t want to upset anyone, but best in small doses otherwise it can be rather dull and miserable 😂

ChamomilePee

This is my lovely new tap. I think it's too gold though because I want it to match the brushed brass lights. But it's too gold. Did I tell you that it's too gold? I'm worried it's too gold and not brushed brass enough. Because it's gold and those lights are brass. But the tap really is too gold and not brassy enough. Maybe it's ok but I think it's too gold and the lights are brass and this is incredibly important. Because it's not brushed brass, it's too gold. Did I show you the beams yet?
🤪:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow

Tanne1999

VIP Member
8E12FEEF-F633-49A4-8378-B1FC4B785A8B.png

This is SO dangerous! If the driver crashes into another car, her legs are going to shatter into a hundred pieces.
She’s got an audience of 88.1k followers on Instagram, she shouldn’t be posting this. I can guarantee a good few of these will see this and think it’s okay to do because Maddie is.

• Wow

Magee

VIP Member
I’ve unsubbed, yet another privileged princess who has steered away so far from their original content because they can now make money/content from selling out. CYA 👋

• Heart

Geranium

VIP Member
I thought it was interesting to see that in the comments lots of people were saying that they were pleased for her but couldn’t relate to her and Alex buying and then presumably renovating their second home when so many young couples are struggling to get on the housing ladder.

Reactions: 20

Moongirl69

VIP Member
I can't bear the influencer culture of this time and can't wait for it to be over. People who are already wealthy being gifted stuff left, right and centre turns my stomach. Even worse is the blatant begging under the guise of "looking for recommendations".

Tom_Nook

VIP Member
Does anyone else find it odd that they didn't empty and clean the cupboards when they moved in? To have lived in a house for months and then discover someone else's hot water bottle seems really weird to me because when I move house the first thing I do is clean everywhere.

18 months since a lot of us were sent home from work (and just as a lot of us are returning) and Maddy gives us the top tip that if you're struggling to work from home, try setting up a dedicated workspace..... Aside from this being so obvious, a lot of us aren't priveleged enough to have a separate office and everyone who can probably did it over a year ago. Thank you for imparting that wisdom on us. Good grief.

Bgoo1

Has she mentioned wanting kids before? I just find it so ridiculous when youtubers set up their houses with multiple spare/guest bedrooms. Take Zanna for example though hers is much more extreme. Who is staying in all these spare bedrooms? Fair enough if you are eventually having families but to full kit out multiple spare bedrooms with lovely design seems really wasteful.

I liked the kitchen and garden but everything else felt so cramped. If I had a hole in the bathroom floor lmao it would be the first thing I got fixed but she’s too busy with aesthetics.

Also are they just going to be engaged indefinitely? I haven’t heard her mention their wedding once since they got engaged.
I think she may have mentioned wanting kids before. I also think it's odd when people get huge houses but have no kids. My husband and I recently bought our second home - 2 beds, kitchen/breakfast room, living/dining room, 1.5 bath and a garage we are going to convert into my work space. We could have spent 40k more and got a bigger house, but we're not having kids, so would there be much point in spending £150/200 more a month on our mortgage? I don't think so.

did you see when she was talking about her “industrial” bed side tables that they were gifted and then she was going to SELL them on her Instagram to one of her followers?

one of the most grim things that influencers do is sell on stuff they got for free. Do you really need the money that bad or could you give them away to someone in need or doesn’t have enough for nice stuff?!
That's completely f'd up! I think it happens all the time though, I saw an insta influencer posting gifted items to fb marketplace last year.

We get it. You've moved house. You don't need to take EVERY opportunity to brag.
JESUS WEPT. Tempted to comment telling her about my favourite room in MY house. Or saying something like "I love the living room, but it's too small for me, I'd definitely need a second living room..."

Last edited:
  • Haha

ChamomilePee

Life cycle of the privileged:

0-18: This is a nice life, I hope I can have a similar one when I grow up, I can't see any reason why not. I just need to work hard like my parents tell me.

18-30ish: Starts uni, meets people of all backgrounds and releases how tough other people have it and nothing is guaranteed. Starts to live in squalor at uni, then gets a low paying job after graduation, and subconsciously worries they won't reach the lifestyle they grew up with. Convinces themselves they actually don't need that lifestyle, plus it's unfair anyway! Money doesn't even make you happy! Minimalism! Tiny houses! Sustainability! Private schools are the devil! Campaigning for anything and everything!

30ish onwards: Privilege most likely catches up with them, through connections, inheritance, education, partners, such that they are much more financially stable that the average person their age. Things like Madeleine being able to live rent free with relatives, potential gifts of money to help with house purchase. Realised they CAN live that life with a huge detached house in the countryside, in a fancy school district, maybe even private school. Oh, did I say I was a minimalist? Never mind...

* disclaimer: I made this for a bit of fun and of course it's not true 100%, and not trying to shame those who are or aren't privileged. I'm not even saying for certain that Madeleine did have this experience or outlook, just that if she did, she isn't the first person and sure as hell won't be the last. Hope that makes sense!
I thought this was pretty bang on. When you start warbling on about your 30 quid William Morris print Aga lid covers it's a pretty sure sign where you are in life :LOL:

• Haha

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
Hi, new to the forum!
I've been watching Maddie since 2016, loved her content because it was the polar opposite to consumer channels like Zoella during a time when I was really starting to embrace minimalism.
To be honest I feel a bit duped by her now. She doesn't seem to stand for any of her old believes anymore, I watched an old vlog from her and it seems like a different person ...for the worse :(

Tom_Nook

VIP Member
As someone who's vegan I'm OK buying and wearing second hand leather and wool. Those items often last much longer than the alternatives. I'd avoid buying it new because it creates demand. I'm sure that used to be Maddie's stance too.

ETA I know this is a personal preference and I know some will disagree and prefer to avoid wool and leather at all.

Last edited:

Pretty Hate Machine

I used to have a huge amount of time for Maddie and Alex. Mainly when they were living in her parents cottage and then in Brighton. I keep unsubbing and then subbing again to her youtube channel. :LOL: I think I first side eyed her when they went travelling and for a short period her thumbnails were like close up bikini butt shots or something. It felt like it was to pull in views and I was really surprised she was that obvious about it. It was really a big reminder that like most youtubers they were there for the money at the end of the day.
I do generally still like them as a couple, but there is certainly a victim mentality there and a huge lack of self awareness at times I think. I like Alex and his sense of humour, but do wonder if he also has mental health issues of his own going on. He doesn't work does he? He's become another youtube husband which I can imagine might not be great for him.
I wasn't surprised by the move. I remember Alex talking at some point about wanting to buy, renovate and sell properties. I was actually surprised to see their house up for sale. I thought they might keep it and let it out, whilst purchasing another. (It sold for £260,000 and they bought for £230,000 I think)
I think what has put me off lately is the constant stream of ads in her insta account now. (I've unsubbed to that) It's a lot, and despite what she says I don't believe for one second that she likes all these products. A lot of them have been for quite crappy brands. It was a big eye opener in one of her videos when she showed all the free skincare in her bathroom cabinet. I suspect they may have become caught up in all the greed that seems to belong to youtubers nowadays. It's sad because it's so far from the messages she used to feel strongly about. I don't expect her to be perfect by any means, but to talk about minimalism whilst accepting so much free stuff that enables their lifestyle just grates a bit with me especially in these hard times for so many.

• Heart

andreaoid

Everytime I watch her videos, my boyfriend comments on Madeleine's privilege and how it is oozing out of her. I couldn't believe it until I found out her family background. And yes, she's always been privileged.

AsterSalonen

I feel like I'm a horrible person for even commenting on this, but what she said in her new video shocked me a little. Maybe I misunderstood?

Maddie was complaining that they would have to save up for "one or two months" to do projects on their house, and that it was really annoying. Did I understand that correctly? I think I must live on a different planet...

• Wow

gcpz

F6D1C2EF-C678-45A0-BA23-72F9CAC71A63.png

why does she just fucking love playing the victim so much? You’re not being “hated on”, people are just commenting in passing on how hypocritical you are with how you live your life compared to how you preach how other people should live theirs.

Shows how narcissistic she is too to claim people are “obsessed” with her.

• Haha

ChamomilePee

The only time she really showed any animation was when she was showing her haul of goodies from some fancy farm shop. I suspect Madeleine has zero interest in gardening and would much prefer to hire someone to do it all for her.

Also, can we get rid of the whole "I'm feeling so overwhelmed" bullshit from these influencers? Feeling overwhelmed over getting sick, losing your job or taking care of your family is normal. Feeling overwhelmed because you have to move a desk, plant a garden, or make a stupid instagram post is kind of pathetic really. I seriously wonder how this woman would function in the real world.

Reactions: 19