Lydia Millen #41 Beauty expert extrordinaire, is the cost of followers too much to bear?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That was me but I’m certainly not alone with the waist cinching. She styles pretty well and at least uses a great belt to do the cinching but overall, it’s tired and lazy. She needs to look to the Olsen twins and Hailey Baldwin to switch it up a bit. My nan had a more interesting wardrobe. Other youtubers do one dress seven different ways or styling a trench or the boots to buy for autumn. I love all that stuff. Having insulted all the gardeners, she better come up with something or maybe her buying all the new subbys will be enough and Globy will be a mere blip. Another reason, we NEED to keep Globy in the thread title, even if it starts with RIP Globy so it doesn’t have a long word count, just to piss her off. I know opinions differ on this forum, but I still believe Globy gave her a gut punch.

She got a comment from a gardening fan who says they would have treasured receiving advice that would have saved them so much time and money and that she doesn’t have to receive it as criticism and Lydia shows her fangs responding she doesn’t need “unsolicited opinions on what gardening should be. xx” Why would you say that? You would show your disdain for the subbies you have only if you were sure it wouldn’t effect your numbers. 900k here we come. What a hollow victory.
Aaah yes! I remember that comment well!! ;) 'Unsolicited advice' isn't always a bad thing!! Also...in my own personal life, if I wish to avoid unsolicited advice - I usually avoid the topic that I'm going to get advice ON! LOL.

I had a wee giggle when you mentioned the Olsen twins (I'm about to show my age here) - when I last saw them on TV, I'm sure they were in nappies!! LOL. (I'll be following that fashion advice in about 30 years maybe - if I"m unlucky!!) :) xx

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
That was me but I’m certainly not alone with the waist cinching. She styles pretty well and at least uses a great belt to do the cinching but overall, it’s tired and lazy. She needs to look to the Olsen twins and Hailey Baldwin to switch it up a bit. My nan had a more interesting wardrobe. Other youtubers do one dress seven different ways or styling a trench or the boots to buy for autumn. I love all that stuff. Having insulted all the gardeners, she better come up with something or maybe her buying all the new subbys will be enough and Globy will be a mere blip. Another reason, we NEED to keep Globy in the thread title, even if it starts with RIP Globy so it doesn’t have a long word count, just to piss her off. I know opinions differ on this forum, but I still believe Globy gave her a gut punch.

She got a comment from a gardening fan who says they would have treasured receiving advice that would have saved them so much time and money and that she doesn’t have to receive it as criticism and Lydia shows her fangs responding she doesn’t need “unsolicited opinions on what gardening should be. xx” Why would you say that? You would show your disdain for the subbies you have only if you were sure it wouldn’t effect your numbers. 900k here we come. What a hollow victory.
I agree with your comments about Globy and that it should be in the thread title........hence my suggestion, which didn't get enough votes 😭😭😭 not that I'm sore!
As for gardening....how arrogant is she? She said "gardening means different things to different people".....well to some gardening is bloody hard work, to some a pleasure, to some a job..........while to Lidl it's buying plants, buying baskets, buying a greenhouse, buying raised beds, buying planters, buying pots, buying labour.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I agree with your comments about Globy and that it should be in the thread title........hence my suggestion, which didn't get enough votes 😭😭😭 not that I'm sore!
As for gardening....how arrogant is she? She said "gardening means different things to different people".....well to some gardening is bloody hard work, to some a pleasure, to some a job..........while to Lidl it's buying plants, buying baskets, buying a greenhouse, buying raised beds, buying planters, buying pots, buying labour.
Buying followers...😘. I am not a gardener but my dad loved gardening so I associate gardening with endless patience and a nurturing nature - which summed him up completely - and which Lydia is glaringly lacking on both counts. Finger on the button for your new thread title ❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Not off base...
There seems to be to widespread confusion between sites like Tattle, follower comments posted directly on influencer accounts and random hate comments
and until that is cleared up nothing can be addressed.
(I'm not stupid...i know some of us Tattlers comment directly and some have been blocked but we are not threatening to kill..... generally our outlet is here).
Most retailers now allow or encourage feedback comments on items you have bought/returned, either directly or via a third party. You might have to be a 'verified purchase' but all comments, good or bad, are left up. We also have comments/ star ratings on Amazon, ebay, Tripadviser, check -a- trade, just off the top of my head.
Yet for some reason, influencers are able to delete anything negative or even constructive comments they don't like, and it's ok. And they can block people. Let's face it, most of them are trying to sell us something, even If it is wrapped up in their lifestyles of beige food and hikes to the pub.
The problem is that they need subs (so desperate they buy them) and they need engagement, so they can't turn off comments. This makes them angry.
What happens to people like us when we can't get heard or are blocked on influencer sites is we come here to vent. And it's their fault!
The reason influencers hate social commentary sites is that they can't control the narrative. They think we hide behind anonymity and spread hate. They know that they don't have to read here but they worry that if other people read here they will be found out for what they really are. They are confused about why we discuss them when we dislike them.
They should ask why they are in this situation, why they have a thread here...
Is it because of their shady business dealings, their thirst for money, the constant swapping of 'favourite' products. Is it because they have changed?
WE should be petitioning for regulations on influencers, not the other way round.
Where do I sign up @Miscanthus I’m in total agreement! 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Aaah yes! I remember that comment well!! ;) 'Unsolicited advice' isn't always a bad thing!! Also...in my own personal life, if I wish to avoid unsolicited advice - I usually avoid the topic that I'm going to get advice ON! LOL.

I had a wee giggle when you mentioned the Olsen twins (I'm about to show my age here) - when I last saw them on TV, I'm sure they were in nappies!! LOL. (I'll be following that fashion advice in about 30 years maybe - if I"m unlucky!!) :) xx
Oh I’m ancient. Have teenage daughters but the Olsen’s are worth watching whatever the age. They are masters of the silhouette. They never looked drowned although they are tiny. The prices of The Row pieces are prohibitive but can easily be copied. Everything looks effortless and relaxed imo which is the goal especially now noone is going anywhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
She got a comment from a gardening fan who says they would have treasured receiving advice that would have saved them so much time and money and that she doesn’t have to receive it as criticism and Lydia shows her fangs responding she doesn’t need “unsolicited opinions on what gardening should be. xx” Why would you say that? You would show your disdain for the subbies you have only if you were sure it wouldn’t effect your numbers. 900k here we come. What a hollow victory

61332B20-EB34-4DB4-AD2C-875E8F9840EB.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Oh I’m ancient. Have teenage daughters but the Olsen’s are worth watching whatever the age. They are masters of the silhouette. They never looked drowned although they are tiny. The prices of The Row pieces are prohibitive but can easily be copied. Everything looks effortless and relaxed imo which is the goal especially now noone is going anywhere.
We just might be a similar 'vintage' then!!!! ;) I might just have a wee lookie then! My teen girl (older teen) has no idea about how to dress herself unless she's in her football/athletics gear! LOL. x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
since everything is unsolicited for little miss know it all, people should just stop commenting, stop engaging, liking, saving - nothing. Make her completely irrelevant and act like she doesnt exist. What a pathetic excuse of a human being honestly

• Heart
Reactions: 38
So a British beauty journalist Sali Hughes has done a radio interview about trolling and tattle.
I will never understand why these women who claim to be professional strong business women sit scrolling through a thread where the comments aren’t always going to be positive!
Both Frow and Lydia have said they have sat down to listen to Sali’s interview.
If Sali is being stalked and/or harassed by somebody shouldn’t she just call the police and report it? What has that got to do with his forum? I thought these women were meant to be intellectuals? Yet they can’t decipher the difference between someone breaking the law to intentionally harm them and them willingly going onto a website to read comments about themselves that they find upsetting! Tattle isn’t illegal, they just dislike it so they want it taken down. I dislike their social media and YouTube platforms, you don’t see me starting a campaign to get their websites and blogs taken down.

I really hate it when people say they only criticise what they hate about themselves 🙄🙄🙄 what bullshit. It’s as if you aren’t allowed to voice your opinion anymore without being labelled a self hating troll.
When they take tattle down (when if etc). We will start a reddit sub to find us again. Like r/extattlers or r/LEM or similar.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
since everything is unsolicited for little miss know it all, people should just stop commenting, stop engaging, liking, saving - nothing. Make her completely irrelevant and act like she doesnt exist. What a pathetic excuse of a human being honestly
I'm up for reminding any (and all) subscribers that she doesn't want 'unsolicited advice' when it's given on her next video!! Like a public service announcement. Might save Carrie and Dee some work too!! (I'm all for efficiency). Hang on...I'll probably get blocked. Again. LOL.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Does she even own a book??!!
She will need to if she wants a study :LOL: Maybe she will just fill it with those whith empty books?....My mind really boggles the purpose of this room. She's seriously trolling us now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Having insulted all the gardeners, she better come up with something or maybe her buying all the new subbys will be enough and Globy will be a mere blip. Another reason, we NEED to keep Globy in the thread title, even if it starts with RIP Globy so it doesn’t have a long word count, just to piss her off. I know opinions differ on this forum, but I still believe Globy gave her a gut punch.

@Milking Keynes the few times Lydia addressed us in the last vlog, I got the impression she was seething with anger. She may have had a smile on her face and giggled but she was all sarcasm and tight anger in those moments. Because she knows she's right. And her being so stubborn about receiving gardening advice is only going to cost her (Ali) time and money (probably begged for). Stupid is as stupid does.

Her whole attitude in that blog was why she is not liked in the industry and does not have many (genuine) friends. She is a know-it-all. Too bad she knows f*ckall.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Hubby just reminded me of this clip (it's a classic!!), and it rather made me feel that this is how influencers would like us (loyal subscribers) to be.

Enjoy 2:24 minutes of smile fest. You're welcome. xx

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
she should give that pretentious study to Ali to have as his office/ editing suite. Then he wouldn’t be squirrelled away in the loft all hours and he could chat to her and everyone more easily. Why is she so mean?

• Angry
  • Haha
Hmmmm.....yes. I left a rather long comment on her instagram post. Personally I thought the 'programme' was okay, however I think there's a lot of issues in the 'influencer' community which need addressing (the lack of ability to distinguish between comments which are contrary to the creators, criticism and trolling, the lack of regulation, the buying of followers (which must be fraud surely??), the dishonest practise of filters on both YouTube and Instagram (I feel passionately that there should be no place for this within beauty advertising, although we have become used to everything being photoshopped over the years, so I suppose there's not much hope of that changing). Sorry. Rambling.

I had my doubts about whether they are calling out Tattle or not - she mentions Imran Ahmed who is part of the 'Don't Feed the Trolls' campaign, and he seems to mention Reddit and other platforms. To me there aren't many (if any) 'trolls' on here, per se. (I always thought that a troll was someone who actively sought to rattle/upset someone - and yes, sometimes you see people like that on the comment section of YouTube videos, but I haven't seen anything like that on here). It's interesting, because people like Lydia (and Josie) tell her subscribers that if they don't like the content, or if what they do/see/buy winds us up, to please unsubscribe. I would have thought that the same rationale would apply to 'influencers' who feature on here - if you're not thick skinned and don't want to read honest feedback about your content, then don't read here. There are precedents for individuals winning cases relating to defamation and social media (Chris Cairn's cricketer is the main one that I know of - around some tweets), so my question to her is this - if there is a criminal violation, then deal with it via the police, and if there is a violation in tort, then take a civil claim.

Just my rambly thoughts. Apologies if I'm off base.
Not directly calling out tattle but it’s definitely Sali’s mission to have this place closed down! Did you see her video she posted last year of her crying whilst reading out a letter written with her solicitor about her thread on here?

Not off base...
There seems to be to widespread confusion between sites like Tattle, follower comments posted directly on influencer accounts and random hate comments
and until that is cleared up nothing can be addressed.
(I'm not stupid...i know some of us Tattlers comment directly and some have been blocked but we are not threatening to kill..... generally our outlet is here).
Most retailers now allow or encourage feedback comments on items you have bought/returned, either directly or via a third party. You might have to be a 'verified purchase' but all comments, good or bad, are left up. We also have comments/ star ratings on Amazon, ebay, Tripadviser, check -a- trade, just off the top of my head.
Yet for some reason, influencers are able to delete anything negative or even constructive comments they don't like, and it's ok. And they can block people. Let's face it, most of them are trying to sell us something, even If it is wrapped up in their lifestyles of beige food and hikes to the pub.
The problem is that they need subs (so desperate they buy them) and they need engagement, so they can't turn off comments. This makes them angry.
What happens to people like us when we can't get heard or are blocked on influencer sites is we come here to vent. And it's their fault!
The reason influencers hate social commentary sites is that they can't control the narrative. They think we hide behind anonymity and spread hate. They know that they don't have to read here but they worry that if other people read here they will be found out for what they really are. They are confused about why we discuss them when we dislike them.
They should ask why they are in this situation, why they have a thread here...
Is it because of their shady business dealings, their thirst for money, the constant swapping of 'favourite' products. Is it because they have changed?
WE should be petitioning for regulations on influencers, not the other way round.
You have worded all of our feelings so well. I couldn’t agree with you more.
What I find hysterical is that I think a lot of people on here actually found out about tattle through the influencers themselves, I know I did. I had never heard about here until Sali Hughes uploaded her Instagram post crying about it.
Influencers seem to spend a lot of time here and then addressing, sometimes even mentioning tattle by name in their vlogs and/or stories. I would bet good money to say many of them even partake in the commenting on here about each other.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
Not directly calling out tattle but it’s definitely Sali’s mission to have this place closed down! Did you see her video she posted last year of her crying whilst reading out a letter written with her solicitor about her thread on here?
I did indeed!!! (And I'm inclined to agree with you that TL is on the hit list). It's like the little clip that I just posted. I think 'influencers' want their subscribers to be seen and not heard.
The interesting thing is that some of them seem to feel that they have the law on their side. I'm not so sure. And I think it was you that said earlier, Tattle Life is not illegal. There's actually nothing unlawful happening here!! (Is there??)

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I did indeed!!! (And I'm inclined to agree with you that TL is on the hit list). It's like the little clip that I just posted. I think 'influencers' want their subscribers to be seen and not heard.
The interesting thing is that some of them seem to feel that they have the law on their side. I'm not so sure. And I think it was you that said earlier, Tattle Life is not illegal. There's actually nothing unlawful happening here!! (Is there??)
So I just watched Sali’s rant. Never heard of her and haven’t checked out her thread. But her YT looks like a bunch of in the bathroom videos 😴. And I find it hard to believe if she’s an honest creator that there is anything to comment on. Right?! Even Amelia who really showed her fangs with the French hotel is still on thread #1!!!! Sali is on #21!!!!!

Um how on earth would she be able to find out tattlers information and who they are? Is she bluffing?

• Heart
Hmmmm.....yes. I left a rather long comment on her instagram post. Personally I thought the 'programme' was okay, however I think there's a lot of issues in the 'influencer' community which need addressing (the lack of ability to distinguish between comments which are contrary to the creators, criticism and trolling, the lack of regulation, the buying of followers (which must be fraud surely??), the dishonest practise of filters on both YouTube and Instagram (I feel passionately that there should be no place for this within beauty advertising, although we have become used to everything being photoshopped over the years, so I suppose there's not much hope of that changing). Sorry. Rambling.

I had my doubts about whether they are calling out Tattle or not - she mentions Imran Ahmed who is part of the 'Don't Feed the Trolls' campaign, and he seems to mention Reddit and other platforms. To me there aren't many (if any) 'trolls' on here, per se. (I always thought that a troll was someone who actively sought to rattle/upset someone - and yes, sometimes you see people like that on the comment section of YouTube videos, but I haven't seen anything like that on here). It's interesting, because people like Lydia (and Josie) tell her subscribers that if they don't like the content, or if what they do/see/buy winds us up, to please unsubscribe. I would have thought that the same rationale would apply to 'influencers' who feature on here - if you're not thick skinned and don't want to read honest feedback about your content, then don't read here. There are precedents for individuals winning cases relating to defamation and social media (Chris Cairn's cricketer is the main one that I know of - around some tweets), so my question to her is this - if there is a criminal violation, then deal with it via the police, and if there is a violation in tort, then take a civil claim.

Just my rambly thoughts. Apologies if I'm off base.
I see Tattle as a slightly thorny bookclub. Some books you are going to love, agree on and discuss the characters at length. Some books you are going to hate, and again will discuss the characters at length and how the book could have been improved. If they allowed constructive criticism on their socials then there probably wouldn't be a need for a space such as this. They delete comments that don't praise, and in fact don't even engage, focusing instead of any negative comments choosing to answer those instead. This to me suggests that they feed off this negative attention and if places like this were to shut down, they would be the first to miss it. Secretly I think Lydia loves that she has an active thread on here.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I see Tattle as a slightly thorny bookclub. Some books you are going to love, agree on and discuss the characters at length. Some books you are going to hate, and again will discuss the characters at length and how the book could have been improved. If they allowed constructive criticism on their socials then there probably wouldn't be a need for a space such as this. They delete comments that don't praise, and in fact don't even engage, focusing instead of any negative comments choosing to answer those instead. This to me suggests that they feed off this negative attention and if places like this were to shut down, they would be the first to miss it.
Perhaps they should see it from a different perspective and try to do better, ie

Advise us on skincare products they are not profiting from;
Own up to their brand launch disasters and stop covering up;
Constantly looking for sympathy but never follow up on causes, blood test results;
Start new interests but rudely ban helpful comments;
Actively delete any negatively perceived comments;
Giveaway but don’t actually giveaway - it’s just a teaser;
Pretend to show empathy, but don’t donate any revenue for ads to BLM or any cause;

Try to see it from a different perspective, Lydia.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.