Luther Film - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It seems I'm in a minority of one but I thought it was a steaming pile of garbage.

The villain was so ridiculously over the top that it was almost cartoonish. There was no explanation for what had led to his bizarre series of crimes and the ending was laughable.

The only saving grace was Idris Elba!
The crimes were all set up for paid viewing on the d*rk web and the viewers were coming up with outlandish ways for the captives to be murdered.

Reactions: 3
Just finished watching and it saddens me to say, but I don’t think it works as a movie. It feels too big, like the budget was all on the locations and stunts. Luthers character was completely lost in this film. I feel like if you’ve never seen the tv show then you might be left pretty bored by this and underwhelmed by the main character.

I don’t know why they didn’t just do another series. It works so much better as a tv show.

I liked the inclusion of Schenk, it definitely needed a familiar face to give Luther some sort of background. I was almost expecting
alice to pop up at some point and save the day 🤣

it wasn’t awful but it wasn’t amazing. I probably wouldn’t watch it again. Unlike the tv show which I’ve watched multiple times.

The scene at the beginning where
he lured the parents to the house only to burn the hanging bodies in front of them was absolutely chilling. Couldn’t get it out of my head

my favourite bit was the ending when the theme music played. Shame it wasn’t the original though

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
The crimes were all set up for paid viewing on the d*rk web and the viewers were coming up with outlandish ways for the captives to be murdered.
I got that bit but I felt there could have been more background on what happened to his wife and what turned him into such an evil, sadistic bastard.

Also, without giving too much away, I wanted to know how he got on a Dover ferry then, five minutes later, arrived in the Arctic Circle. 🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: 6
I was gripped until they rocked up to the North Pole in normal clothes to Anna and Elsa’s castle. Most disappointed Olaf didn’t make an appearance. I much prefer the normal series before it got “ Americanised” since when do we use the word “cellphone” I think the plot was amazing but got ruined by the unrealistic drama sadly.
When I worked for the military, cellphone was standard and I use it myself now. But get your point.

How did the baddy transport the daughter to Norway, also his victims? There's no direct ferry from the UK for one thing. All a bit far fetched and the ending turned into a Bond film.

His coat deserves a BAFTA. The Volvo a best supporting act award.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
He went from being stabbed, having treatment, arrested, back in the helicopter, in hospital and then out again all in 5 minutes

Reactions: 2
When I worked for the military, cellphone was standard and I use it myself now. But get your point.

How did the baddy transport the daughter to Norway, also his victims? There's no direct ferry from the UK for one thing. All a bit far fetched and the ending turned into a Bond film.

His coat deserves a BAFTA. The Volvo a best supporting act award.
Completely agree. I think any future ones are only going to get worse sadly. As for the defender scene that was like a car advert at one point. Amazing how he can plunge into ice cold water and survive, least if all with two serious stab wounds. I’m gutted a really good series got ruined by unrealistic, unnecessary drama. Wonder if idris feels the same.
---
I got that bit but I felt there could have been more background on what happened to his wife and what turned him into such an evil, sadistic bastard.

Also, without giving too much away, I wanted to know how he got on a Dover ferry then, five minutes later, arrived in the Arctic Circle. 🤔🤔🤔
Hahaha that bit confused me so much I said to my hubby Jesus why is Kent looking like the North Pole then bugger me they’re in Anna and elsas house. All felt very rushed. I wanted more backstory about his wife too.
---
Just finished watching and it saddens me to say, but I don’t think it works as a movie. It feels too big, like the budget was all on the locations and stunts. Luthers character was completely lost in this film. I feel like if you’ve never seen the tv show then you might be left pretty bored by this and underwhelmed by the main character.

I don’t know why they didn’t just do another series. It works so much better as a tv show.

I liked the inclusion of Schenk, it definitely needed a familiar face to give Luther some sort of background. I was almost expecting
alice to pop up at some point and save the day 🤣

it wasn’t awful but it wasn’t amazing. I probably wouldn’t watch it again. Unlike the tv show which I’ve watched multiple times.

The scene at the beginning where
he lured the parents to the house only to burn the hanging bodies in front of them was absolutely chilling. Couldn’t get it out of my head

my favourite bit was the ending when the theme music played. Shame it wasn’t the original though
I totally thought it was Alice when the mum was visiting him in prison. I agree it started out with such a chilling all be it very sick plot, then just went bloody rushed and unbelievable. All the previous seasons of Luther stayed with me for a long time after. This one just leaves me with sooo many questions.

Last edited:
I wasn’t keen…it was too much. I think they over complicated it. I checked out once they landed in Iceland (huge eye roll) just so unnecessary!! I think this was their way of setting it apart from the series ‘big budget’ ‘locations’ but it just felt too forced for me. I actually think Alice may as well have rocked up to save the day because it had got so far fetched by the end nobody would have blinked!

Luther's always had ridiculous outlandish sequencing, like did you watch the series before watching this film. I can't think of a single show like this that fits comfortably within the scope of belief. There are other shows out there about fungus reanimating dead people and no one screams it's beyond belief. Because it's entertainment not a documentary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
As someone who’s never watched the series (but wanted to), I assumed the film being on Netflix meant you didn’t need to see the series so watched it last night! I really enjoyed, having watched the actor who played the villain on a chat show recently and he seemed lovely, I can’t believe how well he played the villain he was awful and the stories gave me chills nothing like I’ve seen before! A bit far fetched in places of course (basically everything that happened in the snow) but isn’t that every crime thriller film these days, and does just add that escapism entertainment, I’d defo recommend!

Overall I really enjoyed this and I’m going to go back and rewatch the tv series because it’s been a few years. However….I know it’s all unrealistic, but….stab wound 1 superglued and taped up. Then stabbed again with a larger knife, with precision and knife pulled out. These two wounds alone would have incapacitated him. Then being dragged along by the car and fighting. Then plunging into a sub zero lake. The cold shock for sure would have got them. I know, I know….it’s a film 🤷🏼‍♀️

I agree with the negatives I’m afraid 🤷🏼‍♀️ should have just stuck with the series on bbc1. The film was really good to begin but needed more in-site into why the guys wife and him all went wrong. It was just so unbelievable towards the end and them going to Norway with him hidden and the girl hidden was just stupid !!! In fact the last 15 was a crazy depiction of a Bond film and so far fetched I’m surprised Idris even agreed to it. How did the divers even know the car went into the water let alone dived straight to where he was when he would have been 💀 by then ?? stupid, far fetched and disappointing !!! It just wouldn’t have happened 🤷🏼‍♀️🙄🤔

Overall I really enjoyed this and I’m going to go back and rewatch the tv series because it’s been a few years. However….I know it’s all unrealistic, but….stab wound 1 superglued and taped up. Then stabbed again with a larger knife, with precision and knife pulled out. These two wounds alone would have incapacitated him. Then being dragged along by the car and fighting. Then plunging into a sub zero lake. The cold shock for sure would have got them. I know, I know….it’s a film 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yep. I thought the same. How did he make it through all that?!

When he went to meet Odette he only had one stab wound but was holding the wrong side of his abdomen. Ah, why must errors be so obvious to me

• Haha
I didn't like it. Lacked all the quality writing of (most) of the original series. I rewatched the series after and it really showed up the movie.

It didn't really feel like Luthor, and was more Idris saying 'ill show you how good my james bond would be'. Although I actually think it proved the opposite.

Half of you have gone mad, it was so bad I was angry that I watched it. What a badly written film. I love the series, but this was terrible. The writer and director should be ashamed of themselves. Such a shame, a movie had so much potential. Even the story line did, although it was quite similar to a black mirror episode.

Reactions: 7
Well that’s 2hrs of my life I’m never getting back, it started so well too!

My main complaint (like many others on here it seems) is the lack of insight into the villain’s background and planning, what tipped him over the edge? All of us know what made Luther a psycho but really needed a reason for poor old Andy Serkis taking out all those people.

And yes, Alice was sorely missed, she would looked fab turning up in an outrageous fur coat in Elsa’s castle!

I really wanted to rematch Luther before watching the film but couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway I started watching this and all I could think was what is this plot line reminding me of and then bingo its an episode of Black Mirror with Jerome Flyn in it .

I liked the movie but I think part of that was because of Luther and Schenk and the absolute volume on Andy Serkis' hair. IMHO you just had to switch off your brain and see it for what it was a big budget action film with a slightly cobbled together plot.