Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

dodgerman

It seems I'm in a minority of one but I thought it was a steaming pile of garbage.

The villain was so ridiculously over the top that it was almost cartoonish. There was no explanation for what had led to his bizarre series of crimes and the ending was laughable.

The only saving grace was Idris Elba!

• Heart
Reactions: 10

GalofHal

We watched it this afternoon. Glad his coat survived everything it was put through. Had us gripped throughout.

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Beanie90

I was gripped until they rocked up to the North Pole in normal clothes to Anna and Elsaā€™s castle. Most disappointed Olaf didnā€™t make an appearance. I much prefer the normal series before it got ā€œ Americanisedā€ since when do we use the word ā€œcellphoneā€ I think the plot was amazing but got ruined by the unrealistic drama sadly.

Reactions: 8

NerdyCat73

Chatty Member
Hi All

Couldnā€™t find a thread for this new Luther film on Netflix. Luther: The Fallen Sun.

As a fan of the TV Series I couldnā€™t wait for this film. I wasnā€™t disappointed. The ending I feel leaves it open for another film or new series.

What did everyone else think?

Reactions: 7

eyeballs

VIP Member
Half of you have gone mad, it was so bad I was angry that I watched it. What a badly written film. I love the series, but this was terrible. The writer and director should be ashamed of themselves. Such a shame, a movie had so much potential. Even the story line did, although it was quite similar to a black mirror episode.

Reactions: 7

hehehe

VIP Member
Excellent - loved it.

Andy Serkis has fully committed to his villain era I see. Good. For the next one they should try fleshing out other characters, as it's difficult to care about them otherwise. I don't know if Cynthia Erivo is just a terrible actress or the character was badly written or what, but that was the weak point for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

minnieminx88

VIP Member
I thought the ending was a bit rushed.
I was about to say why but might spoil for those who havent watched yet so i wont.

MillionDollarBaby

VIP Member
I absolutely loved it!
Husband and I didnā€™t even know it was being released yesterday, put Netflix on for our usual Friday comedy and that soon changed.
What a film!!!
Definitely left it open for another.
It had everything, suspense, jump scared etc. and I really good story line I thought.
TW for suicide imagery.
Does involve multiple depictions of hangings

GalofHal

I was gripped until they rocked up to the North Pole in normal clothes to Anna and Elsaā€™s castle. Most disappointed Olaf didnā€™t make an appearance. I much prefer the normal series before it got ā€œ Americanisedā€ since when do we use the word ā€œcellphoneā€ I think the plot was amazing but got ruined by the unrealistic drama sadly.
When I worked for the military, cellphone was standard and I use it myself now. But get your point.

How did the baddy transport the daughter to Norway, also his victims? There's no direct ferry from the UK for one thing. All a bit far fetched and the ending turned into a Bond film.

His coat deserves a BAFTA. The Volvo a best supporting act award.

• Haha

MrsDimSum

VIP Member
The first half absolutely terrified me! I seriously considered wetting the bed as I was too scared to go to the bathroom in the night šŸ˜‚ obviously common sense prevailed and I woke my husband to go and check there was nobody in the house before I got out of bed šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Haha

dodgerman

The crimes were all set up for paid viewing on the d*rk web and the viewers were coming up with outlandish ways for the captives to be murdered.
I got that bit but I felt there could have been more background on what happened to his wife and what turned him into such an evil, sadistic bastard.

Also, without giving too much away, I wanted to know how he got on a Dover ferry then, five minutes later, arrived in the Arctic Circle. šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

LittleMissOnions

VIP Member
Well thatā€™s 2hrs of my life Iā€™m never getting back, it started so well too!

My main complaint (like many others on here it seems) is the lack of insight into the villainā€™s background and planning, what tipped him over the edge? All of us know what made Luther a psycho but really needed a reason for poor old Andy Serkis taking out all those people.

And yes, Alice was sorely missed, she would looked fab turning up in an outrageous fur coat in Elsaā€™s castle!

Reactions: 5
Just finished watching and it saddens me to say, but I donā€™t think it works as a movie. It feels too big, like the budget was all on the locations and stunts. Luthers character was completely lost in this film. I feel like if youā€™ve never seen the tv show then you might be left pretty bored by this and underwhelmed by the main character.

I donā€™t know why they didnā€™t just do another series. It works so much better as a tv show.

I liked the inclusion of Schenk, it definitely needed a familiar face to give Luther some sort of background. I was almost expecting
alice to pop up at some point and save the day šŸ¤£

it wasnā€™t awful but it wasnā€™t amazing. I probably wouldnā€™t watch it again. Unlike the tv show which Iā€™ve watched multiple times.

The scene at the beginning where
he lured the parents to the house only to burn the hanging bodies in front of them was absolutely chilling. Couldnā€™t get it out of my head

my favourite bit was the ending when the theme music played. Shame it wasnā€™t the original though

Last edited:

SunshineRae

VIP Member
Overall I really enjoyed this and Iā€™m going to go back and rewatch the tv series because itā€™s been a few years. Howeverā€¦.I know itā€™s all unrealistic, butā€¦.stab wound 1 superglued and taped up. Then stabbed again with a larger knife, with precision and knife pulled out. These two wounds alone would have incapacitated him. Then being dragged along by the car and fighting. Then plunging into a sub zero lake. The cold shock for sure would have got them. I know, I knowā€¦.itā€™s a film šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

As someone whoā€™s never watched the series (but wanted to), I assumed the film being on Netflix meant you didnā€™t need to see the series so watched it last night! I really enjoyed, having watched the actor who played the villain on a chat show recently and he seemed lovely, I canā€™t believe how well he played the villain he was awful and the stories gave me chills nothing like Iā€™ve seen before! A bit far fetched in places of course (basically everything that happened in the snow) but isnā€™t that every crime thriller film these days, and does just add that escapism entertainment, Iā€™d defo recommend!

I agree with the negatives Iā€™m afraid šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø should have just stuck with the series on bbc1. The film was really good to begin but needed more in-site into why the guys wife and him all went wrong. It was just so unbelievable towards the end and them going to Norway with him hidden and the girl hidden was just stupid !!! In fact the last 15 was a crazy depiction of a Bond film and so far fetched Iā€™m surprised Idris even agreed to it. How did the divers even know the car went into the water let alone dived straight to where he was when he would have been šŸ’€ by then ?? stupid, far fetched and disappointing !!! It just wouldnā€™t have happened šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøšŸ™„šŸ¤”

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
Hi All

Couldnā€™t find a thread for this new Luther film on Netflix. Luther: The Fallen Sun.

As a fan of the TV Series I couldnā€™t wait for this film. I wasnā€™t disappointed. The ending I feel leaves it open for another film or new series.

What did everyone else think?
I really enjoyed it.
People need to remember it is the Lutherverse, much like the MCU or other fictional worlds, so it doesn't need to be 100% accurate or realistic.

it was highly entertaining and I'm very glad a certain someone didn't turn up -shows Luther works without them.

i look forward to sequels!

• Heart