Luke Catleugh #2 sobbing over house buying no-go, scoffing plagiarised risotto and a little bit of a Ho

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It seems like they were so focused on the desperate need for a house in London that they've kept compromising until they've ended up with something that barely meets the criteria just to achieve that. It's not where I'd have put them or what I'd have imagined them really wanting so I reckon they've talked themselves into what it could be without considering really what that's going to cost and what's realistic.

As someone who has their very own damp money pit Victorian terrace in need of updating (and therefore is not jealous in the slightest :LOL: ) I think they're in for a shock. I'm not in London but am in the SE and these things have sky rocketed in price since the pandemic.The damp proofing work it looks like they'll need doing is not only expensive but it's disruptive. The garden will be a huge job and not cheap and by the look of it on street view the whole house needs re-pointing, the front wall rebuilding and that roof isn't exactly perfect. I'm almost certain they'll just go mad doing awful DIY, spend all their budget on daft things like built in bookcases and painting over as much as possible instead of investing in the structural stuff. Luke will be in exactly the same position he has been with the flat - selectively photographing and showing tiny areas of it that fit the aesthetic he's after, hiding the rest and parroting on about 'original' features when frankly it doesn't look like the house has any left at all.

Reactions: 16
It seems like they were so focused on the desperate need for a house in London that they've kept compromising until they've ended up with something that barely meets the criteria just to achieve that. It's not where I'd have put them or what I'd have imagined them really wanting so I reckon they've talked themselves into what it could be without considering really what that's going to cost and what's realistic.

As someone who has their very own damp money pit Victorian terrace in need of updating (and therefore is not jealous in the slightest :LOL: ) I think they're in for a shock. I'm not in London but am in the SE and these things have sky rocketed in price since the pandemic.The damp proofing work it looks like they'll need doing is not only expensive but it's disruptive. The garden will be a huge job and not cheap and by the look of it on street view the whole house needs re-pointing, the front wall rebuilding and that roof isn't exactly perfect. I'm almost certain they'll just go mad doing awful DIY, spend all their budget on daft things like built in bookcases and painting over as much as possible instead of investing in the structural stuff. Luke will be in exactly the same position he has been with the flat - selectively photographing and showing tiny areas of it that fit the aesthetic he's after, hiding the rest and parroting on about 'original' features when frankly it doesn't look like the house has any left at all.
He is totally deluded and she's not far behind him... Like Worzel and Aunt Sally in the brains department

• Haha
Reactions: 10
So today’s house update on Instagram, the plastic roof is leaking, they got a flooring company in to lay the new flooring who informed them the upstairs carpet smell and damage was due to vermin (rats or mice) 😳 .. the money pit spending begins !

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
So today’s house update on Instagram, the plastic roof is leaking, they got a flooring company in to lay the new flooring who informed them the upstairs carpet smell and damage was due to vermin (rats or mice) 😳 .. the money pit spending begins !
ooooops 🤣

Reactions: 2
Might be crazy but I actually feel a tiny bit bad for them now 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 6
How old are each of them?
I know they are friends but it seems a bit weird buying a house to live in together when they will meet partners and go their separate ways

Reactions: 4
I'm not sure why they think that a new floor means that rats/mice/ no longer can get into the house and they are therefore rodent free. If they were there recently then they will return and unless the pest control have been over and plugged any entry point, any exterior gaps, any vents and anything in the loft then I'm not sure I'd be even half as confident. I'm not sure anyone could reasonably be surprised that that plastic roof is leaking in heavy rain. Even looking at the rightmove pictures there are so many red flags, which is fine if you know what you're getting, can do some of the work to a decent standard yourself and have a big budget for the rest with view to it being a long term home but none of that surely applies to them.

I don't wish them ill with the house at all, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but they seem very, very naive.

Reactions: 11
I'm not sure why they think that a new floor means that rats/mice/ no longer can get into the house and they are therefore rodent free. If they were there recently then they will return and unless the pest control have been over and plugged any entry point, any exterior gaps, any vents and anything in the loft then I'm not sure I'd be even half as confident. I'm not sure anyone could reasonably be surprised that that plastic roof is leaking in heavy rain. Even looking at the rightmove pictures there are so many red flags, which is fine if you know what you're getting, can do some of the work to a decent standard yourself and have a big budget for the rest with view to it being a long term home but none of that surely applies to them.

I don't wish them ill with the house at all, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but they seem very, very naive.
Any decent pest control will always check the drains, soil stacks and sewer pipes underground and then access points.. Cameras down drains is very costly but it is worth getting the job done correctly. Also, if neighbouring properties attract vermin because of their scruffy lifestyles and unkempt 'gardens' etc then that will need addressing aswell.
Like you say, they're extremely naive and that horrendous soaked wall on the boundary to next door will be covering a myraid of deeper issues.. I wonder if they have silverfish too and slugs aswell as rotting wood etc🤮

Reactions: 7
From his Instagram it looked like the new flooring went over the old smelly infested carpet 🤮.
What professional flooring company does that?

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
That place sounds like it’s going to bankrupt them…they need to start with that saturated rear wall. It looks the the problem originates from the neighbours dodgy looking extension.
Maybe Luke needs to explore being #kindlygifted a damp proof course rather than focussing on working with the likes of Waitrose and Sky 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I really hope not! But he shared a picture where it went over the carpet.
I think (hope) that was just them laying a few planks down to see what the planks looked like, since they sourced them themselves and took delivery of them ahead of them being fitted.

Reactions: 7
I think (hope) that was just them laying a few planks down to see what the planks looked like, since they sourced them themselves and took delivery of them ahead of them being fitted.
I think they might have done that little set up purely to advertise the company in that photo.

Reactions: 5
Luke Catleugh #3 mid terrace victorian house of their dreams, along with the leaking roof, damp, mould and living way beyond their means.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
he is moaning about the landlord painting over issues, but I honestly think this is what the previous owner has done to his new house.
Water finds the path of least resistance. there is no guarantee the tin roof is the source of the Leak, and to be honest its far too much water to be a drip - the wall is wet and green mouldy. I suspect there is a big run off coming from a broken drain or a pipe.

It seems very odd that mice would be in a bedroom not a loft but then it is a terraced house. Is the stink coming from dead mice? Mice droppings? I thought the carpet looked damp and messed on myself as well as iron burns

I think there is a lot of leaks and problems in the house that haven't come up on the basic survey and I agree with the poster who has said slugs and silverfish - the major problem is the neighbours dodgy extension and the outside pipes and drains

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.