Lucy Mecklenburgh #3 Bfing bore moans up all night, famous for sleeping with Mark Wright

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m at risk of offending a gazillion women here but... is breastfeeding really that hard for the majority of women? The only issue I’ve had is right at the beginning when baby wasn’t latched properly, got that sorted at 4/5 days old and been alright since? It’s tiring when you think of the cluster feeding, but not difficult? Is it? I wouldn’t say it was harder than climbing a mountain to be honest 😂

• Angry
Reactions: 11
I’m at risk of offending a gazillion women here but... is breastfeeding really that hard for the majority of women? The only issue I’ve had is right at the beginning when baby wasn’t latched properly, got that sorted at 4/5 days old and been alright since? It’s tiring when you think of the cluster feeding, but not difficult? Is it? I wouldn’t say it was harder than climbing a mountain to be honest 😂
I'm not a mum yet (am pregnant) so I obv can't give a proper opinion yet but sometimes I do think this. I obviously understand latch/supply issues can be very difficult but once that's sorted... doesn't everyone expect it to be tiring? Not sure how it's any more tiring than having to make up a bottle of formula in the middle of the night etc? I'm sure I'll be eating my words in a few months time!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have been breast feeding for 18 months now and I seriously think I love it so much cos i am lazy! 😂 whatever the problem, wack the boob out. So yeah totally agree.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I found it super hard at the start. But that was because I had just had a C section. And I was in a country where the doctors/nurses didn’t speak English. They just avoided me. So I had to teach myself, and all the positions google was giving me were ones that hurt wayyy too much. I couldn’t sit up for the first two days (whatever pain meds I was on were not strong enough). So I found that hard. It would take me an hour to latch her each time. Plus then after 5 days she went into the NICU, so i could only see her for 15 mins every day. So had to turn to pumping. Which is super draining. As you need your baby around you to tell your body to make the milk. I pumped pretty much every hour (even at night). Just allowing her to be formula fed would have meant I could just sleep!! (and when you are banned from seeing your own baby, the only thing you want to do is sleep it off)!

But honestly once I had her home I found it pretty easy. She never had a problem with latching. I think if I had had a natural birth I wouldn’t have struggled at all? So personally i don’t get why Lucy is proud of it? i am proud of my journey because I fought so hard for it. The country I live in is extremely pro formula.
You have to go out of your way to find a pro breastfeeding hospital. And even there they still push formula on you. They gave it to my daughter several times without my consent, and gave us loads of formula to take home (Which is illegal in the UK for hospitals to give samples of formula)

Reactions: 2
I ended up exclusively pumping for just under 10 months..got my period back around then and I just couldn't face those pumps anymore, they made me want to throw up just looking at them. But this was my fault. I couldn't get baby to latch, just started lockdown so had no midwifes come out, everything just over the phone. Nipples were bleeding, shredded and blistered. Midwife said pump for a week to let them heal and mot sure why but just kept doing it. Just found out I'm expecting baby 2 so will make the best effort to get that latch right.

Yup after a week it was easy! I actually think the faff off bottles and going out the day working out bottles and formula you need must be more tiring and annoying we get to just walk out the house with it all attached to us 😂 no making bottles in the middle of the night either

• Heart
I had two different journeys, first baby I was dairy free but found that easy, second baby was prem and tongue tied and I had serious aversion. I full on hated it the second time but still am too lazy to buy formula, sterilise, wash, carry bottles. And liked saving the money! I find it more offensive she says she put on 4 stone, especially after the throwback pics of her baby shower the other day

Reactions: 3
For me personally it hasn’t been hard at all. Long at times but defo not harder than climbing a mountain 😂

I have been breast feeding for 18 months now and I seriously think I love it so much cos i am lazy! 😂 whatever the problem, wack the boob out. So yeah totally agree.
hahaha same. My little boy is 17 months nearly and I love that I have the stop crying juice on tap 😂

• Heart
Ah I have found my people- honestly thought I was going to get slated. Don’t get me wrong, I know some people find it tough but it’s like there’s this big stereotype breastfeeding ‘journey’ -eurgh, hate that word- where it’s the most brutal thing yet we all are pushed into thinking it’s the ‘most natural thing in the world’. I don’t have the answer to why our breastfeeding numbers are low, but I’d guess it have something to do with people like Lucy who overdo the ‘it’s hard but worth it’. Give it a go, but don’t have high expectations on whether it’s right for you or not. I’m still fighting off friends who insist baby must have given up the boob by the time we’re allowed to jet off for a girlie weekend, or who sulk because I can’t spend all day drinking with them. Some people don’t think motherhood will change their lifestyle and that’s fine, but don’t scoff at the ones who are going to breastfeed their baby instead.

I found it super hard at the start. But that was because I had just had a C section. And I was in a country where the doctors/nurses didn’t speak English. They just avoided me. So I had to teach myself, and all the positions google was giving me were ones that hurt wayyy too much. I couldn’t sit up for the first two days (whatever pain meds I was on were not strong enough). So I found that hard. It would take me an hour to latch her each time. Plus then after 5 days she went into the NICU, so i could only see her for 15 mins every day. So had to turn to pumping. Which is super draining. As you need your baby around you to tell your body to make the milk. I pumped pretty much every hour (even at night). Just allowing her to be formula fed would have meant I could just sleep!! (and when you are banned from seeing your own baby, the only thing you want to do is sleep it off)!

But honestly once I had her home I found it pretty easy. She never had a problem with latching. I think if I had had a natural birth I wouldn’t have struggled at all? So personally i don’t get why Lucy is proud of it? i am proud of my journey because I fought so hard for it. The country I live in is extremely pro formula.
You have to go out of your way to find a pro breastfeeding hospital. And even there they still push formula on you. They gave it to my daughter several times without my consent, and gave us loads of formula to take home (Which is illegal in the UK for hospitals to give samples of formula)
I never found that with the hospital, so I’m sorry that that’s happened to you. Although, I gave birth last year in the midst of covid so I think it was a case of ‘have you want and get out as soon as possible’ 😂
I do sometimes think it’s because of lockdown that I’ve gone so long (9m) but then I would’ve found it hard to stop anyway as she hasn’t taken to a bottle well! Glad I have though, like somebody said previously, I’m lazy and it’s just easy to whack a boob out and all baby’s problems just go away😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Agree with a previous poster - breastfeeding was really hard as both my daughter's were tongue tied - my first was misdiagnosed at the hospital even though I insisted she was tongue tied..she finally had the procedure (cutting the tongue tie) at 3.5 weeks old - she then had to relearn how to use the muscles in her tongue, I'd say from 5 weeks old we were at the starting position we would have been at as a newborn. Those 5 weeks affected milk supply and was really tough - she was never full as couldn't get enough milk so we basically didn't sleep for 5 weeks...however I'm proud of achieving it because of the struggle and it's the hardest thing I've done because of that reason. I'm not aware Lucy had any issues breast feeding, if she did and overcame them I get why she'd be proud of it but I still wouldn't be going on about it like she is...and my second daughter had tongue tie and the same allergy as Roman - the allergy was a walk in the park compared to tongue tie!

Reactions: 1
I actually think she did say Roman was tongue tied and had CMPA.
In that case it is definitely like climbing a mountain depending on the severity of the tongue tie - some children can feed with it as their mouths grow, if a procedure is needed due to minimal tongue movement I can safely say I'd rather climb many mountains than go through that again 🤣

In that case it is definitely like climbing a mountain depending on the severity of the tongue tie - some children can feed with it as their mouths grow, if a procedure is needed due to minimal tongue movement I can safely say I'd rather climb many mountains than go through that again 🤣
And I feel for her if that’s the case, and she’s thrown herself into being dairy-free and obviously manages as we see all the meals. Every. Single. Day. But he’s almost one now so does she really need the fanfare still? She’ll be out and about as soon as the bars and restaurants are open and loving the fact she doesn’t have to be home to feed or pump as much.
I bet you we have a number of ‘I miss breastfeeding’ posts when she really didn’t need to give it up that quickly.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I found breastfeeding incredibly difficult for the first six weeks-ish. My little boys latch was all wrong and I would literally bleed from the boobs - I would pump and it would come out orange because my nipples were so damaged. Every feed was total agony for me - it was only as he got physically larger and was able to take more of the boob in his mouth that things improved. This was the first weeks of lockdown one, and I found professional support extremely thin on the ground as everyone tried to adjust their services. I was scared my milk would dry up if I stopped so I just pushed on through the agony.

So when people say "is it really that hard?" I do a little internal scream 😂

Don't get me wrong, once things settled I have found breastfeeding so much more simple than all the faff with bottles and formula. And it solves everything! Tired, boob. Hungry, boob. Teething, boob. Need comfort, boob. I don't know how I'll parent without them, which is why I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon.

I don't think the reason breastfeeding rates are so low in this country is because of smug mums like Lucy, I really don't. My own opinion is that there's been a bit of generational issue where people think formula in a rigid schedule and sleep training and teaching a baby to be independent before they can even sit up straight are the only way. I think (hope) things are changing a little.

I do think breastfeeding could be normalised more. I don't know many women who have done it for longer than a few weeks. However I think the way to normalise it is just to bloody get on with it. You don't need to constantly go on about it or show your pumping output or do weekly Q&As where the only questions you answer are about breastfeeding.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm not a mum yet (am pregnant) so I obv can't give a proper opinion yet but sometimes I do think this. I obviously understand latch/supply issues can be very difficult but once that's sorted... doesn't everyone expect it to be tiring? Not sure how it's any more tiring than having to make up a bottle of formula in the middle of the night etc? I'm sure I'll be eating my words in a few months time!
It can be very difficult for lots of reasons. Due to my shape and size of breasts I can only feed in the rugby hold position. Which is very limited and means I can't really go out anywhere as I'm unable to do it in public as need space on a chair next to be for a pillow...and a pillow itself.

Latch is really difficult to get correct and as soon as you think you've got it something usually goes wrong...baby fusses on and off all day and you worry they aren't getting enough as everytime you try and feed them they cry. Having to feed just through the night as this is the only time they have long dress.
When baby is teething it can be painful to feedm
When baby gets teeth it takes a while for latch to get right (for me anyway)

The hormonal side of things is extremely difficult.

Having said that...that still didn't make me want to do it as for me it was the only way I ever wanted to feed my baby.

But it isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Also some babies can't take bottles (expressed milk)...so it means you can never be apart from your baby for any length of time or get any kind of break. Also pumping in itself is extremely time consuming

Seriously mum shaming for this is below the low. Breast feeding doesn’t happen to some, some find it easy, some find it easier than they thought and carry on for ages and some plan and to feed and struggle but persist and so on. Judging a mum for how they feed their baby, breast feeding or bottle feeding, is totally below the belt and you should be ashamed at yourself for judging Lucy or any other mum for that reason. Great for you that you managed that but some mums don’t find it easy and people can choose when or how long for they feed their baby. It’s people like you that can make mums feel ashamed for not being able to feed their baby or for stopping when they are ready to stop. FYI I struggled first time but was very much go with the flow and chose to bottle feed and 2nd baby was really easy but stopped just before a year because I was ready to stop. You know what though for a lot of women it is hard work and draining as every women is different as is every child.

Reactions: 8
Seriously mum shaming for this is below the low. Breast feeding doesn’t happen to some, some find it easy, some find it easier than they thought and carry on for ages and some plan and to feed and struggle but persist and so on. Judging a mum for how they feed their baby, breast feeding or bottle feeding, is totally below the belt and you should be ashamed at yourself for judging Lucy or any other mum for that reason. Great for you that you managed that but some mums don’t find it easy and people can choose when or how long for they feed their baby. It’s people like you that can make mums feel ashamed for not being able to feed their baby or for stopping when they are ready to stop. FYI I struggled first time but was very much go with the flow and chose to bottle feed and 2nd baby was really easy but stopped just before a year because I was ready to stop. You know what though for a lot of women it is hard work and draining as every women is different as is every child.
It was a genuine question as I don’t know anybody who’s breastfed so all experiences I know of are those online, who either just got on with it or those, like Lucy who seem to talk about it non stop- good and bad. To me, I don’t care how babies are fed, as long as they are. In fact there was no judgement in my post. I have never turned my nose up at anybody for choosing formula and I could easily be as offended at your insinuation that I have. I quite clearly stated that I don’t have the answer to why rates are so low, just offered an opinion.
I’m not talking about the cases where there are problems such as tongue tie, allergies etc. I do know that that can be a problem. I’m asking about the actual act of feeding if you don’t have any of these issues. I know I’m fortunate to have had no such thing to deal with, but that is exactly why I asked the question in the first place.Its interesting to know what the problems actually are other than hearing people just claim ‘it’s difficult’, ‘it’s hard’.

Reactions: 9
I wouldn’t say the op was mum shaming atall and no one else has taken it that way either from the responses....

This is why I hate talking about breast feeding, people get so bothered by it. Why should it matter how we feed and if we had problems or not it’s just milk, actually makes me not admit to breastfeeding

Reactions: 12
I wouldn’t say the op was mum shaming atall and no one else has taken it that way either from the responses....

This is why I hate talking about breast feeding, people get so bothered by it. Why should it matter how we feed and if we had problems or not it’s just milk, actually makes me not admit to breastfeeding
Yeah I get really awkward sometimes when it comes up, like people think I’m bragging about it when I really couldn’t give a tit how anybody is fed to be honest😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It was a genuine question as I don’t know anybody who’s breastfed so all experiences I know of are those online, who either just got on with it or those, like Lucy who seem to talk about it non stop- good and bad. To me, I don’t care how babies are fed, as long as they are. In fact there was no judgement in my post. I have never turned my nose up at anybody for choosing formula and I could easily be as offended at your insinuation that I have. I quite clearly stated that I don’t have the answer to why rates are so low, just offered an opinion.
I’m not talking about the cases where there are problems such as tongue tie, allergies etc. I do know that that can be a problem. I’m asking about the actual act of feeding if you don’t have any of these issues. I know I’m fortunate to have had no such thing to deal with, but that is exactly why I asked the question in the first place.Its interesting to know what the problems actually are other than hearing people just claim ‘it’s difficult’, ‘it’s hard’.
I think breast feeding can be exhausting, I certainly found it towards the end, even though it was only a couple of feeds or so a day. I had a hungry boy with big appetite, my friend breast fed and played with her hormones the whole time and felt on edge and as soon as she stopped at a year she felt like herself again, sometimes I think Lucy shared some of these experiences and they can help others. I think if more people with Lucy’s influence on social media shared these things then it would really help other mums, especially those that are first time or like at the moment with no network around other than social media, I also guess some don’t share for being judged either way. If they don’t they are bragging, if they do they are moaning! I think having a baby during lock down, even with a good support network on the end of the phone must still be really hard and lonely at the moment.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.