Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

veevee04

VIP Member
I agree. I think dead babies is going beyond dark humour, but I know there will be plenty who will disagree. Just not something I could ever make light of.
It's why I could never work in a NICU or paeds I would fall to bits. Uni allocated me a placement in a children's hospice and I asked to switch. Horrendous massive respect to those who can, when I've had patients pass it's usually at the end of a long protracted illness at a good age and usually it's a relief as they are free from pain and at peace.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

jackolantern

VIP Member
If her messaging her colleagues was so unusual then why not after or during the 1st message ask her to not bring it up? Shall we just agree to disagree and I'll send an e-hug you way? ❤
To me the messages come across as people who don't like her, don't want to engage and are giving her the shortest answers out of politeness but to get her to stop. We all have people like that who don't get the memo. I don't see why there is such an issue of debating in this thread without having to agree with eachother and shut the convo down. Surely it's better to agree we have different opinions and discuss them, bouncing things back and forward than this constant need to silence any discussion? I don't get it.

Lucyxxxx

VIP Member
We saw her 21st birthday message posted in the press (and copies onto this site) dated from December 2010, which means she was born in December 1989. So throughout most of 2015 she would have been 25.
Trivial but that means she's either a Sagittarius or a Capricorn. If she's a Sag, I may be swayed on my opinion. (Jokes)

• Haha

Tofino

VIP Member
Not being arsey honestly but just to ask. Why is the alleged guilt admission in the note so hard to ignore but not the protests of innocence?
I can answer this as I feel the same about the note.

A guilty person could easily say they are not guilty / innocent. It probably happens every day in courts up and down the country. It’s very, very hard to believe someone who is innocent would write they killed them on purpose. How many people do we think plead guilty in court when they are not?

• Heart

Emmelina Ball

VIP Member
I think being on a neonatal ward it would be expected to have some sort of training around showing appropriate compassion during bad days for the babies and deaths but at the end of the day she’s a human and we all say things that we feel at the time may be of comfort and kick ourselves later when we reflect. If she’s not guilty it could just be she wanted to try and provide a memory for comfort and it wasn’t received well. Professionals are still human and they do have errors though- when my mother died I was a very young adult and when I went to the funeral directors to pay the bill the funeral director asked me how my mum was doing. They had already buried her at this point. I was so shocked and in such early stages of grief I didn’t really know what to say or how to respond. I just blurted out she’s still fucking dead you buried her 3 weeks ago. I’m sure she kicks herself for that conversation I doubt she’s forgot it - a bit like I haven’t.
Obviously if Lucy is found guilty it will show a much more sinister and evil element to this instance though. I don’t want to believe she done it but it is a very real possibility. I’d like to see the trial through before committing to my own (irrelevant in the grand scheme) opinion though.

• Heart

Tofino

VIP Member
No but my point is, coincidence does happen. Very often, life has a funny way sometimes. She also can’t be presumed guilty because people don’t believe in it. I most certainly do, as do a lot of people I have spoken to about things
What number does it stop being a coincidence? We have 22 allegations here, the majority of which we are expecting to show she was on her own with them minutes before they unexpectedly collapsed. (Appreciate we’ve not heard all the evidence yet but that is what prosecution are suggesting).

Would 30 ‘coincidences’ sway you? 50? 100? At some point coincidence stops being a reasonable explanation. Plus that’s not the only evidence being relied on.

• Heart

veevee04

VIP Member
It’s not that weird to be fair when you work in the that field , there is a lot of research I’ve come across when I’ve done projects showing that nurses do use humour as a coping mechanism
Last week our shift all got off 2 hours late and had a death too and you may disagree but it’s how some cope with it to relieve their stress
Hence the phrase if I didn’t laugh I would cry
Some of the jokes I've heard would not be acceptable to the general public they call it gallows humour. It's definitely a coping mechanism an unhealthy one sometimes.

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Can this argument not be brought up again? I'm getting really tired of being shut down or deemed a 'conspiracy theorist' just because I question things, try to figure out all the options and clear things up/process things before I settle on what my thoughts on the subject are. I cannot see how that's a bad quality and really don't want the thread to become full of sarcastic barbs. There's a TRIAL for a reason.
Exactly, I actually think she is guilty but I still question things because she may not be?

friedeggontoast

Chatty Member
I believe there’s a mountain more evidence to come to light both within the trial and in the ongoing police investigation.

In terms of the question around why she decided to carry out her first murder 16 minutes into a shift, we don’t know what she had been doing before that day. She could’ve been harming babies on a low level since she became a nurse. She could’ve also been harming people outside of her work place. You don’t dig up someone’s garden without having a reasonable suspicion was up to no good.

• Sad

jackolantern

VIP Member
One of the mums was bathing her deceased baby and Lucy walked in and smiled and said that she had given that baby it’s first bath and she told mum how much baby had enjoyed it. I’m unsure if it’s in the Wiki but I would assume so.
Regardless of if she is guilty or not, shit like this does show what an utterly bizarre woman she is. Noone in their right mind would make a comment like that. Maybe she was trying to be kind but clearly did not have the good sense to see how deeply upsetting that would be.

Annyct

One of the mums was bathing her deceased baby and Lucy walked in and smiled and said that she had given that baby it’s first bath and she told mum how much baby had enjoyed it. I’m unsure if it’s in the Wiki but I would assume so.
Not defending her in the slightest bjt context here is everything. We’ve already began to wonder if she may be a bit socially awkward. It could be that she was trying to offer the mum a piece of information, a memory or something. I find it hard to believe she walked in smiling and said oh she’s dead but she loved a bath. It could be that the mother was expressing upset about things she won’t get to know about her child, things she won’t get to see or experience. The prosecution is obviously spinning things a certain way so whilst yes it may have happened exactly as they said, without more context it means nothing. The smile could have been a reassuring smile etc… I dunno that’s where my head went anyway

• Haha

Annyct

even though I work in the nursing profession , I’m totally not shocked at what current nursing standards are like
You have the Shrewsbury maternity scandal , mid Staffordshire scandal , Bristol heart scandal . Hundreds of adults and babies have all died due to shocking care so there will be occasions where nurses will get away with bad behaviour
i was given wrong medication by a nurse who was either drunk or had been drinking when I was in an nhs neurological rehabilitation unit. People put nurses and drs on pedastals but I’ve seen firsthand that they are all still human and capable of monumentally fucking up

• Wow

Lavender425

It could be that her awkward, insensitive comments to the parents were a result of not knowing how to deal with their grief. That's why she mentioned wanting to avoid them (parents) in her text as well. It would even shine light on her career choice, i.e working with babies who can't hold a conversation is preferable for someone who doesn't have great bedside manner.

I'm finding the reporting very confusing because so much of the context is missing.
I thought that too. If I've had a tough shift, sometimes it is difficult going back and seeing the parents again. Bereavement care can be hard and if you are someone who overthinks every interaction it can become draining very quickly. Constantly thinking about what to say, how to phrase it and whether or not it is appropriate. I think this thread alone highlights how different everyone is and there is no 'one fits all' in terms of bereavement care. The training I have received focuses heavily on communication and compassion. I'd personally always enter the room with a smile, not a beaming, teethy grin, but a warm smile as opposed to being completely expressionless. I can understand her texts to her colleague and the apprehension over seeing the parents of baby A the next day. I'm a worrier and have felt the same on a few different occasions, sat at home before a shift ruminating. However, once I've got into work, I've felt better about it and got on with my shift. Which again, is why I don't find it that strange that she spoke to a colleague about not wanting to care for baby A's sibling, but then doing so once on shift.

MrsPoison

VIP Member
This is one of those trials where it feels so important that I want feel almost obliged to be a part of it for the sake of those children and their legacy, I don't want them to disappear into history, but at the same time it's so damaging to mental health that it's very difficult to hear. But I don't want to hide from it and I don't think it's morbid curiosity, I feel it's wanting justice. It's hard for the public, I can't even begin to imagine how those parents can get out of bed everyday for six months.

• Heart

raspberryjuice

VIP Member
There seems to be a bit more detail in the live feed today, and they’re regularly pointing out that it’s agreed facts. I wonder if somebody read the criticism of the reporting here yesterday?

Just to point out though, as it is still agreed facts/evidence - you’re not supposed to be reading anything that convinces you either way of her guilt or innocence. This is evidence both sides agree are true, and neither side would weaken their case by presenting anything that goes against their narrative at this stage. They are still ‘setting the scene’.

pommobear

VIP Member
But why deny if there was a reasonable explanation? Like "I look all the parents up because I worry about them afterwards and want to make sure they are okay". Just seems more straightforward than lying to the police to me.
Because it's embarrassing. Makes you look like a weirdo. Likelihood is she was being nosy. Ethically very dodgy but doesn't equate to murder.

Reactions: 16
The mother’s misinterpreted and now she’s misremembered.. are there no lengths people won’t go to! So disrespectful imo.
My interpretation would be that sometimes an incident happens and someone behave a bit odd or makes you uncomfortable and you might notice it in the moment and then it passes you by. But then if later someone informs you of something terrible or bizarre about that person you suddenly recollect the uncomfortable moment and are like “oh yeah I remember when she/he did this”… and it suddenly “fits” with what you’re being told. Again perfectly human to do. Mother would she’s been asked by police about what happened, perhaps they even probed about LLs behaviour around the incident and she remembered her discomfort.

friedeggontoast

Chatty Member
See there was a baby where she wasn't even there, which makes me feel like the prosecution are just forcing things to fit (there are other things but that's one that sticks in my mind). I don't quiet know whether she's a scapegoat or police have become suspicious about her and just gone in tunnel vision? The attempted murder charges I do find a bit far fetched from what we've heard. The twins O and P I believe, I find it odd from what we've heard 2 little boys closely biologically related are the only ones we've heard about suffering from liver injuries? I do think she has questions to answer obviously but this to me what the prosecution says just doesn't quiet "fit" the way you'd expect something to if it made sense and was a true reflection of what had happened.
I could understand that theory if the cause of death for all of the babies were something that could be explained as a natural occurrence. But so many of the babies died from external interference. Therefore if LL didn’t do it, someone else did.

LittleMy

VIP Member
Agree on this, particularly considering her age at the time. Even if you were amazing at bereavement care I'm just not sure a lot of parents would particularly want it from a young girl. I imagine there are some aspects of nursing that you just grow into.

I know when I had my children the care during pregnancy I just found better from midwives who were older and a bit more experienced. I remember a younger midwife being really shocked I could only eat beige food in the first trimester bless her. However, during labour/delivery the younger ones shone - really on it and did a fab job with all the aftercare, stitches etc
I had the opposite experience when I had my first baby after a traumatic labour and birth. The older midwives were shocking and made me feel like a stupid little girl who had no clue about my own baby. It really messed up my head which was all over the place at the time and I would call my OH up crying my eyes out to come take me home. I ended up really depressed. The younger midwives were lovely and considerate throughout our stay in hospital.

• Heart