Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MrsDimSum

VIP Member
Playing devil's advocate here and trying to look at everything objectively.

Child E was the sibling to child F who they will discuss after lunch and who is one of the 2 who was allegedly poisoned by insulin. If I remember correctly, both of the children of the insulin incident survived.

If LL is innocent, then I guess she could have been searching to see how the other child was doing as they had also been very unwell whilst on the unit.

Again in isolation, it may not be weird. And perhaps she thought of them on Christmas day as its a day lots of people reflect on.

So hard to say at this stage
I also wondered this

stardust1

VIP Member
Oh gosh, I’m sorry that happened to your son!

Children’s doses are all weight based, whereas most adult drugs are generic doses. So everything has to be calculated properly and then checked for accuracy. There are some trusts that allow single checking for certain drugs, or some trusts that have the Nurse in Charge do all the control drugs (use of experience etc), or sometimes checking is done in the medication room against the drug chart and then distributed from the trolley by the Nurse with the trust it won’t be tampered with. Sadly everywhere is different, but I’ve always been taught peadiatric drugs should be double checked.

Sadly anything could have happened. Too much morphine, your son reacting differently to the correct dose than expected, doses too close together, or yes just human factors - I’m not afraid to say I’ve made drug errors (nothing life threatening) when tired or busy or in an emergency, even with a second Nurse checking. Whatever happened, I imagine teaching and changes came from your sons situation, whatever the cause was. I know that doesn’t help but definitely my experience of such scenarios. X

I also think meddling with drugs would be difficult due to frequent drug stock checks, drugs being locked away, cameras (sadly not in every trust), computerised systems, staff always being around. Lots of reasons. But I guess if you really want to do something awful, you’d find a way sadly. 😔
Thanks, Luckily it was noticed quickly and emergency buzzer was pulled which is why I was shocked it all went unnoticed it is true. I would think if it was just an accident it would be something you learn of and don’t make the mistake again. Do you think there is the possibility that she simply was just incompetent at her job?

super grateful

The insulin in the feed is now confusing me? I have heard of insulin being added to saline fluids in especially small babies.

however they say this was a feed bag? Which I assume if fed by tube into the babies stomach? I always thought insulin couldn’t be taken orally as the stomach acids break it down too far for it to be effective which is why diabetics have to inject insulin into the bloodstream?
Maybe it was TPN? Not enteral feed?

Leo100

VIP Member
Which link is best for live updates? I only have chance to read here on an evening and keep getting lost

e.l.lofthouse

VIP Member
Good morning! New to the thread! I don’t have time to follow this trial as closely as I would like to do relying on you guys! I don’t watch news etc. don’t even watch the tv! But this trial fascinates me. The absolute disdain I have for the NHS is unreal, purely due to my own traumatic experience at their hands exactly one year ago. So I hope the truth comes from this.

1. Lucy is an absolute psychopath, because trust me. They exist in the nhs and I would of never have believed it if I hadn’t of witnessed what I did- she was very similar looking to Lucy although a doctor

2. The NHS would have absolutely no qualms in throwing someone under a bus to hide and cover their catastrophic failings.

Either would not shock me. And I have no doubt our tattlers will get to the bottom of this better than ANY defence or prosecution!

oh, and I don’t trust the legal system either 😂
Do you think she's guilty?

abusyday

Good point. Saw lots of babies who had many other siblings at home, or who lived much further away who didn’t visit more than an hour or two a day and some days not at all. Will be interesting to find out if there was a pattern to how the victims were chosen
Maybe that's where the Facebook use came in then, to find out where the family lived and make it easier to target victims

MrsDimSum

VIP Member
Do they know insulin was in the bags or did the babies just have massive hypos?
I mean babies dying in in NICU isn’t unusual. I do wonder if she’s being stitched up like a kipper.
Time will tell I guess
I would also like to know this. The baby was being treated with insulin for what I assume is gestational diabetes. Which would eventually correct itself within days/ weeks of the birth. Is there evidence to say the insulin was in the bag, as the Dr had previously said the hospital wouldn’t put it in the bag as it would congeal against the plastic?

Tangerine Cat

VIP Member
Then they failed massively and the people in charge need sacking. Nobody should be allowed to keep their job if they're doing what they say she did... short staffed or not.

Just seen this. Wonder if defence will argue that it was because it would make her feel better to see a live baby there after a dead one, as in because it was all so sad and she was happy a baby was okay? I'm SO baffled as to how they allowed her to keep her job in any capacity.
What has she been found guilty of already? You’re putting the cart before the horse. Once the trial ends the questions will start and then we'll have a review of everything, possible further charges if she’s found guilty, and heads that will roll.

This case is going to be around for the next couple of years at least.

im pretty sure after she was first questioned procedures were changed or am I dreaming that? It was so long ago now.

Stiltoncheese

Chatty Member
Also true. But again it’s often normal for the more experienced Nurse to have the “easier” patient which gives them time to oversee the sick patient and train/help/teach the Nurse caring for that patient. Does that make sense?
Yep that makes sense. I'm not medically trained so no idea how this would work to be honest

TheSlayer

Chatty Member
I am concerned she's charged with murdering a child who had no post mortem take place and an expert has said they can't 100% rule out natural causes.
Unless they have exhumed? Guess we will find out when they actually start presenting evidence.

yellowboat

I don't know about NICU I don't work on them but handover for me is a big list , it doesn't have the patients name say name someone is called Joe Bloggs they will be called JB , it will say risks allergies etc . It says their OBS , medications whether they accepted medication. Any incidents etc. It doesn't have their entire life story or about their family that would be on the notes on the computer. Does NICU not have a large handover in the morning and evening of all patients?
Typically they all have a safety handover at the start of each shift. Most units are moving away from having a printed handover sheet as well due to IG reasons.

Handover sheet doesn’t always mean a list of jobs kind of list or a handover of all patients. Some trusts have a signed handover sheet in patient notes. It’s where you simply sign to say you’ve received handover and there’s a little outstanding box but so you can write “order some new dressings”.

Just my observations from agency nursing from various trusts!

mrbusiness

VIP Member
Do they know insulin was in the bags or did the babies just have massive hypos?
I mean babies dying in in NICU isn’t unusual. I do wonder if she’s being stitched up like a kipper.
Time will tell I guess