Lucy Letby Case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is what I’m querying-how did it go on for so long? I don’t believe she was fitted up by staff but surely this could only have happened in a tit show of a unit?
for me they need to prove each death/assault was deliberate but if it is so clearly a deliberate act why weren’t actions taken to investigate & prevent further injury. The hospital could have shut the unit, called the police in, put CCTV in etc but none of that happened for at least a year.
So either it wasn’t so clearly a series of deliberate acts, which means it’s tricky to state that in court now, or the hospital were horrendously slow to identify the pattern of potential deliberate harm.
bleeping THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 14
I see the theories about LL not liking the parents, but could the main aim of hers have been to maybe frame other staff she didn’t like? Hoping that others would be under suspicion that had, in her mind, done something against her?
Maybe she wanted other staff to look incompetent so she could fly in and save the day or look superior. She was constantly involving herself in the care of babies that were assigned to others and even ignoring senior staff when told to focus on her own patients.

Reactions: 26
Maybe she wanted other staff to look incompetent so she could fly in and save the day or look superior. She was constantly involving herself in the care of babies that were assigned to others and even ignoring senior staff when told to focus on her own patients.
Good point. It could be like a saviour complex where someone wants the praise or to be seen as better than others. Think of those arsonists who start fires so they can rescue people. Thankfully it's not common, but it does happen.

Reactions: 9
Just a thought about the Facebook searches.

When you search someone’s name, that name stays on your search bar. I’ve done it before where I’ve gone on the search bar again a month or whatever after searching someone and then seeing the name again and being like oh yeh you, what you up to now and I’ll look at their profile again. So if you look at my activity log it will say today searched Mary May for example but I didn’t actually type anything in. So was she actually searching them repeatedly or was it just a case of searched them once and then because they were visible on her search she just went back to look at them again.

I am actually leaning more towards her ending up being guilty but I just don’t think the Facebook searches is the most incriminating thing at this point.

Reactions: 22
oh hi Toffee! 👋🏻 🌊 😂

I think it’s her response that makes it suspicious for me. She told police she couldn’t remember doing it. But said she accepted the evidence says she did, but couldn’t say why she would have done it. But if the deaths affected you in a way that made you want to check up on the families multiple times (Inc Xmas day!) how would you forget that?
Spot on!

All this debate on here about whether you would / wouldn’t nosey at people on Facebook (for the record I totally would, and have, looked up colleagues but then again I work with adults in an office I don’t have patients / clients I just like to see what Sandra who sits three desks aways husband Brian looks like!!!)

Anyway, that debate is not the point.

The point is, she searched them on Facebook. They seem to be able to prove that.

Instead of just saying ‘yes I searched them on Facebook / I’m checking they are ok / I’m being nosey / I’m seeing how they’re getting on’
she’s denied doing it!
Edit - sorry she hasn’t denied it but she can’t explain why

That’s what I find very very odd.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
So on this occasion no one was meant to have insulin anyway.
View attachment 1643765
I cannot get my head around this not being investigated at the time.

These poor, poor parents. How can so many people on that nicu be so incompetent? If my baby was in that hospital right now I would be demanding they're moved. It sounds like it needs shutting down.

Reactions: 12
If she is innocent (I’m on the fence with it) will it come down to someone else has done it deliberately or just a series of catastrophic mistakes?

Reactions: 1
Spot on!

All this debate on here about whether you would / wouldn’t nosey at people on Facebook (for the record I totally would, and have, looked up colleagues but then again I work with adults in an office I don’t have patients / clients I just like to see what Sandra who sits three desks aways husband Brian looks like!!!)

Anyway, that debate is not the point.

The point is, she searched them on Facebook. They seem to be able to prove that.

Instead of just saying ‘yes I searched them on Facebook / I’m checking they are ok / I’m being nosey / I’m seeing how they’re getting on’
she’s denied doing it!
Edit - sorry she hasn’t denied it but she can’t explain why

That’s what I find very very odd.
Yes she’s said she can’t remember doing it and that’s just not a credible response at all. especially when they have evidence of repeated searches on the same family.

Just a thought about the Facebook searches.

When you search someone’s name, that name stays on your search bar. I’ve done it before where I’ve gone on the search bar again a month or whatever after searching someone and then seeing the name again and being like oh yeh you, what you up to now and I’ll look at their profile again. So if you look at my activity log it will say today searched Mary May for example but I didn’t actually type anything in. So was she actually searching them repeatedly or was it just a case of searched them once and then because they were visible on her search she just went back to look at them again.

I am actually leaning more towards her ending up being guilty but I just don’t think the Facebook searches is the most incriminating thing at this point.
My thoughts on this is that my search history shows something like the 10 most recent searches. If that was her defence then I would say it would show she was ONLY looking at those babies families and not much else. Otherwise they would drop off the recent search list. Especially when I think they showed a six month period of checking on just one family.

Reactions: 4
A few posts have mentioned the rashes. I’m not sure about neonates, someone in this field could maybe clarify, but working with adults in palliative care, when patients are entering the end of life phase, mottling rashes are a usual sign, it’s the body shutting down basically.
I presume this is what was happening with the babies, the prosecution so far have put it that it was a common trait with the babies involved, I’m just playing devils advocate but I’d have thought if the babies were deteriorating due to natural causes for example, then mottling could appear also. I’m not sure though and obviously they’ve taken that stance from medical staff who work there. I guess we will see what the defence answers for this.
Also worked in pallative and mottling is common at the end. The thing that's edged me more towards guilty is the TPN feed tampering , how did she tamper with it? Do the hospital not do stock checks? Pharmacists are always coming in and checking stocks if none of the babies are prescribed insulin wouldn't it raise flags if some was missing?

I read something saying she was in 14 facebook groups related to prem/sick babies
I'm in groups related to learning disability practice , pallative care and brain injury probably more. Those are my areas of interest in practice , doesn't mean I'm a killer 🤣🤣🤣😩. Jesus I might just delete social media.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I'm in groups related to learning disability practice , pallative care and brain injury probably more. Those are my areas of interest in practice , doesn't mean I'm a killer 🤣🤣🤣😩. Jesus I might just delete social media.
To be honest I’d probably say it depends on the nature of the groups that would suggest anything strange or sinister.

This is just purely speculation and I may be wrong ..
I’m guessing the Facebook groups you’re in are very much information and educational based. Whereas the groups Letby was in could have been support pages made for parents and families or poorly babies, a bit of an online community where parents can share their stories and gain support and advice from others in a similar situation.

I think it’d be strange for Letby to join and read a type of “support” group rather than anything educational based. Especially if she is guilty.

Reactions: 6
Good point. It could be like a saviour complex where someone wants the praise or to be seen as better than others. Think of those arsonists who start fires so they can rescue people. Thankfully it's not common, but it does happen.
Reminiscent of Beverley Allitt. Another nurse who was held in high regard; even chosen as a godmother to one of the twins whose sibling she murdered.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
bleeping THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
The hospital definitely have some questions to answer in that regard. I haven't looked into it but there does appear that internal investigations and I imagine CQC investigations have taken place prior to arresting LL. That's not really going to be talked about in the press because it's not so much of interest. So whilst I do believe the hospital need to take a bit of accountability for perhaps being a little slow on the uptake of there being something going on, it's likely been addressed already but is not common knowledge without looking at the correct channels.

Reactions: 6
I’m struggling with a few bits so far.

This is the prosecution opening, right? So it has to be strong. So far it seems largely circumstantial and it feels that they have thrown some contentious charges in with the more solid cases which could have one of two results. It could totally damage the prosecution case as it seems like some of the evidence they are discussing can be explained away.

“That case really affected me so I checked up on their parents Facebook on Christmas Day as I expected they would post about baby X’

“I regularly take information home, I revise before shift/on public transport so I can familiarise myself with my patients before I get to work’

‘ I was in that room with that baby because that staff member was a new agency worker and I wanted to keep an eye on them/support them’

Plus I felt it was strange of them to say that the mother of one of the babies walked in on her ‘attacking’ the baby but didn’t realise. I feel that extreme language like that might put the jury off.

Likewise the comment of a death that was definitely caused by insulin, but can’t rule out natural causes, that’s an oxymoron.

Oh and the poor baby who was bleeding so much it lost a third of its total blood- no post-mortem? No immediate investigation? Absolutely bizarre.

I just feel that it’s all v weedy at the minute. You would think the prosecution would come out swinging in this case?

Reactions: 40
This is what I can't understand, guilty or not the hopsital and the staff have failed so badly. It's hardly going to be something you could explain away as being a reaction to washing detergent is it? I can't wrap my head around how *she* may have done this but also how she *got away* with doing it for so long if she did.
I think incompetence was in abundance in the ward and I believe they almost closed the unit. 4 nurses were up for fitness to practice as there were others that did things too. Guilty or not, the hospital itself had huge failings that led to the events.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
Anyone else noticing a theme of twins?

Yes, me. Maybe because I had premature twins and am programmed to notice them because we lost one, so the word always stings. I wonder if she perhaps was a twin or lost twins. I don’t know, I mean there are a higher incidence of twins on a nicu anyway but it just keeps jumping out

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m struggling with a few bits so far.

This is the prosecution opening, right? So it has to be strong. So far it seems largely circumstantial and it feels that they have thrown some contentious charges in with the more solid cases which could have one of two results. It could totally damage the prosecution case as it seems like some of the evidence they are discussing can be explained away.

“That case really affected me so I checked up on their parents Facebook on Christmas Day as I expected they would post about baby X’

“I regularly take information home, I revise before shift/on public transport so I can familiarise myself with my patients before I get to work’

‘ I was in that room with that baby because that staff member was a new agency worker and I wanted to keep an eye on them/support them’

Plus I felt it was strange of them to say that the mother of one of the babies walked in on her ‘attacking’ the baby but didn’t realise. I feel that extreme language like that might put the jury off.

Likewise the comment of a death that was definitely caused by insulin, but can’t rule out natural causes, that’s an oxymoron.

I just feel that it’s all v weedy at the minute. You would think the prosecution would come out swinging in this case?

Looking up patients on facebook is questionable especially when they aren't your own patient's which some of them weren't. That is a breach of confidentiality really and I don't think her professional body the RCN would be too pleased with it even without a murder charge. Also she said in interviews with the police she couldn't explain why so she stuffed that one.

Patient documentation is NEVER meant to leave the hospital. It's massively against information governance and would be again serious unprofessionalism and grounds for misconduct. That being said it does happen by accident and I used to have a manager who would take home imaging requests to vet which we didn't like her doing because it's massively against protocol

Someone would be assigned to that person if needed, in somewhere like NICU where it's very one to one nursing with the patients she would have been assigned to one baby and thats that really.

The mother who walked in may have seen her injecting something but understandably would have presumed it was a prescribed drug, that being said we don't know the circumstances so far on that and it is the job of the prosecution to dramatise events a bit....

Reactions: 9
I don’t know how many of you followed Stars trial. But this opening the things may sound odd and circumstances. but as the trial moves forward everything seems to all come together and click into place. Things that sound like nothing end up being quite a big point to it all!

Reactions: 23
Baby E’s mum walked in on her baby bleeding with Lucy Letby in what a doctor described as never seeing such a heavy bleed on a tiny baby before. Letby told her ‘I’m a nurse I know what I’m doing’ and told her to go away.

There’s just some really horrifying details today. I’m going to have to pick and choose when I follow this case.

My heartbreaks for the parents, siblings and everyone affected by the loss of those babies 😭

Every time my twins crashed they told me to get out of the nicu - it is so distressing to see and they don’t have time at the moment of crisis to explain what they are doing/what has happened. My twins crashed and collapsed more times than I can count, and they always sent me out, and someone came to get me once stabilised and would run through what had happened and why

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.