Lucy Letby Case #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Something you just said made things fall into place.
A new bespoke TPN bag was ordered from pharmacy.
That MUST surely mean that they were using a stock bag temporarily until a new bag arrived. If they had reconnected the first bag, there would have been no reason to change it (given, of course, that they had no idea or thought that the first bag was contaminated and would not have any idea for at least another week)
Instead, the intention was to replace it with one tailored for the baby. Meaning that the bag used between 10am and 4pm had to have been a stock bag.
I’m so confused as to how insulin levels could continue to be high / glucose levels low just from contaminated lines if the bag had been replaced. Or; are they saying that the insulin levels potentially had been much higher, but when the blood was drawn it was 4,765? Can someone survive levels higher than that?!

Reactions: 1
That MUST surely mean that they were using a stock bag temporarily until a new bag arrived. If they had reconnected the first bag, there would have been no reason to change it (given, of course, that they had no idea or thought that the first bag was contaminated and would not have any idea for at least another week)
Instead, the intention was to replace it with one tailored for the baby. Meaning that the bag used between 10am and 4pm had to have been a stock bag.
aah no so where does this leave us 🙈. So back to stock bag being contaminated by Letby some how before it was connected ?. Time frame suggest’s the stock bag would have had to have been left out to warm up from around 7 am ?

or do you think they administered it cold ? - or did they think a stock bag had been changed but it actually wasn’t ? All very confusing. I still think the first bag was never changed though but who knows 😩. Hopefully it all will become clear eventually!

Reactions: 5
Also just checked the wiki, it says that they changed the TPN to a peripheral line. PP mentioned that it's fine using cold blood through a peripheral line was done as safer than a central line. Maybe this is why it was moved when it was tissued? So that the bag could be used cold and the dextrose could go via the new long line.
Rereading the expert evidence too, he mentions a second bag specifically and BM questioning clarifies that the blood taken at 5.56 only tells us what was in the second bag. There must have been two, they must have seen evidence we haven't 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m so confused as to how insulin levels could continue to be high / glucose levels low just from contaminated lines if the bag had been replaced. Or; are they saying that the insulin levels potentially had been much higher, but when the blood was drawn it was 4,765? Can someone survive levels higher than that?!
BA’s victim survived it his were in the tens of thousands!

Reactions: 6
The expert thinks that the level of insulin would have been the same throughout the entire period of the bags being up.

Reactions: 3
One area where there is no vagueness is that he’s absolutely sure the first bag is contaminated. I agree, it doesn’t look like there is a clear picture of exactly how the baby continued to be poisoned, the vagueness of that picture though isn’t the one that’s key for the crime having been committed. I don’t think it throws any shade at all on the first bag having to have poisoned the baby therefore- the issue is who did that. There isn’t any vagueness where it matters and it’s not the experts problem to say exactly how the baby continued to be poisoned, only to give possibles. He is certain the first bag is poisoned because there is indisputable evidence there.
I don't think it is indisputable, but leaving that aside for a moment, I think the devil IS in the detail. The low glucose readings continued throughout the night shift and throughout the following day, in spite of a change to a stock bag (apparently) and the administration of bolus doses of dextrose. If the prosecution case is that bag No1 was contaminated AND bag No2 was contaminated then they need to show how LL could be responsible for both, given that she was long gone by the time bag No2 was deployed.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I thought that was baby Paul and he’d passed away? I haven’t looked hugely into her case though so apologies if I’m picking it up wrong.
He survived x

A twin baby girl died of suspected insulin poisoning and potassium poisoning, but Paul crampton survived.

Reactions: 8
Fellas, all this bag stuff has left me completely bamboozled! I do not understand who did/didnt do what at what time, hope to god the jury arent as baffled as I am!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I don't think it is indisputable, but leaving that aside for a moment, I think the devil IS in the detail. The low glucose readings continued throughout the night shift and throughout the following day, in spite of a change to a stock bag (apparently) and the administration of bolus doses of dextrose. If the prosecution case is that bag No1 was contaminated AND bag No2 was contaminated then they need to show how LL could be responsible for both, given that she was long gone by the time bag No2 was deployed.
The previous theory was that the insulin has clung to the plastic used to administer, therefore maintaining poisoning throughout the day. However the evidence we've heard over the past couple of days is that the nurse would have always replaced everything, and that the rate of infusion would have been consistent regardless of which bag. The only explanation for the prosecution is that LL contaminated both bags.

Reactions: 7
BA’s child insulin poisoning victim survived a blood insulin level 10 times higher than that. The second highest reading ever recorded.

• Sad
The previous theory was that the insulin has clung to the plastic used to administer, therefore maintaining poisoning throughout the day. However the evidence we've heard over the past couple of days is that the nurse would have always replaced everything, and that the rate of infusion would have been consistent regardless of which bag. The only explanation for the prosecution is that LL contaminated both bags.
Or that the nurse didn’t change the bag when she was supposed to ?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Or that the nurse didn’t change the bag when she was supposed to ?
Possibly but rereading the reporting there were a fair few references to a second bag being used, if there hadn't been then either side could have interjected to clarify but it reads like fact.

Reactions: 5
Possibly but rereading the reporting there were a fair few references to a second bag being used, if there hadn't been then either side could have interjected to clarify but it reads like fact.
maybe, but I don’t think so or why would it have been included in the opening statement as a possible explanation 🤷🏻‍♀️

Has the second babies reading been reported?
No but I think they are saving this particular part of information! Could be wrong but that’s been my thoughts for a while now like a sort of shock factor moment to come.

Has the second babies reading been reported?
Yes, but I think the machine used could only record a maximum reading of 500.
The baby’s reading reached that level but who knows how much higher it could have been?
Oops! Am I wrong on that? Might have to re-read the wiki.

Reactions: 3
Yes, but I think the machine used could only record a maximum reading of 500.
The baby’s reading reached that level but who knows how much higher it could have been?
Oops! Am I wrong on that? Might have to re-read the wiki.
I didn’t think they did, but I may be wrong. I just read that
“The reading was "at the very top of the scale" the equipment could measure, the court hears.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.