Lizzy Hadfield #2 Her claim to fame is a notebook with her name.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's a bunch of phrases strung togehter, just plain waffle without much substance. The gist is she didn't work through her father's death until she was confronted with death and isolation during corona and went to see a therapist.
It could've been a tweet tbh, I don't know what qualifies her to write an article for Vogue considering her own blog is just horribly formatted drivel with boob shots.
Apparently that's enough to impress some editors.

Reactions: 13
I felt bad after reading the article. The topic is more than sad and yet I felt nothing. And I’ve cried watching reels of kittens (and I’m not even a cat person). I thought that my heart had finally turned completely into stone but nope, she managed to turn such a moving topic into waffle (as @Seven of Nine accurately described the piece).

I imagine that Vogue wanted something from her and she was excited but then they wanted this and we know she’s not wanted to/been able to talk about her dad’s passing (and I respect that) - and so she managed to write about it without really saying anything, instead of turning down the offer.

The small bits that do share anything of substance was already talked about in a video - it seems to have been regurgitated with some Covid sprinkled on top? Maybe I would have felt more if I’d not heard her say similar things before but then is that a me problem rather than any critique of Lizzy? (Yes it’s a me problem - if someone wants to speak about grief and tell the same story 10000000 times then please do.)

and to be clear, this is not about her dad or her grief. I don’t expect her to make me cry so that her article gets more hits. I respected her before for not seemingly exploiting her loss, even though (devastatingly) loads of other (young and not so young) people have had similar losses and would probably be interested in hearing her speak more on the subject.

who’s the waffler now?!? I’ve contradicted myself….in my post and even in my head. I’m mindful that my “critique” comes across like I’m gatekeeping the topic and I’m not (and if I am, I’m sorry, I don’t mean to.)

But I don’t “get” the piece. The only bit I got a clear message about was the promotion of the book at the end. Buy the book.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Sorry but it’s boring AF. Where is the storytelling? A little detail? Some colour? Tell us something about you or your dad or your relationship just so we have a sense of why we should care about you. It doesn’t have to be deeply personal, just something to give some substance to the piece. Bad editing on the part of whoever commissioned this as well. It annoys me as I know proper writers who would love to write for Vogue but have to compete with numpties like this who not only cant write but will write for peanuts which devalues the craft for everyone. (OK I know the likes of Vogue don’t really pay but you know what I mean)
I imagine that Vogue wanted something from her and she was excited but then they wanted this and we know she’s not wanted to/been able to talk about her dad’s passing (and I respect that) - and so she managed to write about it without really saying anything, instead of turning down the offer.

Reactions: 13
It sucks that her dad died when she was so young, but we have heard about her grief countless times, there is nothing new on that article.

Reactions: 2
It annoys me as I know proper writers who would love to write for Vogue but have to compete with numpties like this who not only cant write but will write for peanuts which devalues the craft for everyone.
Exactly this. It makes me sad for truly talented aspiring writers.

So essentially what she is saying is I lost my dad, I carried on with life pretending like I was fine, covid gave me the time to think about life by forcing me to slow down. The latter should have been the focus of the article where she discussed how the pandemic has made us all confront big things and the benefits of not being on full speed all the time. She could have also chatted about stuff like her mates BB & Lindsey coming out of long term relationships and other big changes in all of our lives.

Did she get the tattoo for the article photo, or did she write the article to make the tattoo seem better?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I agree with everyone. This piece did nothing for me. We know Lizzy doesn’t like discussing anything personal, least of all the passing of her dad, so combined with her *ahem* limited writing ability, this was an ill-conceived assignment. There was no focus, no personal details, and it came across as vague and forgettable. It was all “My grief, grief, journey, grief, grieving, journey.” Anyone could have written it. In fact it’s what a lot of her vlogs and the podcast (and probably her book) sound like. A lot of vague waffling and repetition without getting to the point. I get that it’s a very personal subject, but if you can’t manage to make your essay more specific than a counseling brochure, maybe don’t write it?

Reactions: 10
Also, Lindsey and the dog have finally moved to London which is just about as interesting as Lizzy’s Vogue article. I hate to be harsh but I just think that if you aren’t ready to articulate your feelings on the matter, why write an article that ultimately offers no solace/help to those grieving? I totally sympathise with Lizzy but it is frustrating to see her getting opportunities that, frankly, her content doesn’t merit

As someone who also lost their father, I find it a bit weird that Lizzy used the opportunity to promote her book.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
her latest vlog was so lazy, the audio was lagging and to top it off it had a sponsor who she did an ad for and she didn't even care enough to make sure it didn't have any problems before uploading

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
As someone who also lost their father, I find it a bit weird that Lizzy used the opportunity to promote her book.
Same.

Also, like Lizzy I also lost my dad in my teens and I don't think I could write about the experience in a way that would help readers with their grief, so I would have left it to someone who could.

Reactions: 7
I hate to say this but I think it's a little harsh for us to collectively criticise someone regarding their thought piece on their navigation through grief. I for one have lost my father and a younger brother and you can never truly articulate how loss and grief feels.
It may resonate with some and not others. But I'm hoping for her that having the outlet of being able to write about it may help her.

Don't get me wrong I'm not her biggest fan of late but grief is a very traumatic and personal pain.
Although, I do have to admit I don't get how it relates to her experience with the pandemic or the launch of her new book. She was seeing a therapist for a long time so it's nothing new. And her experience with the pandemic by watching her vlogs seemed quite indulgent, it just seemed as if she just couldn't cope with her work halting for a bit and not being able to saunter about on free holidays avec free clothes. If anything I thought she would have stayed with her mum for much longer if she was that scared to be away from the only parent she had left , which she eluded to in her article.

So yes, it didn't flow very well but lets just let her have it for now.

• Heart
As the other poster said, we’re constructively criticising the premise for the piece. As far as having an outlet of being able to write about it, wouldn’t the blog be the perfect platform for that?
But I'm hoping for her that having the outlet of being able to write about it may help her.

Sounds odd to say but the loss of her dad is main reason I followed Lizzy I grew up with a grandparent who passed when I was 18. This is probably controversial but I’ve always thought Lizzy doesn’t realise that a lot of people go through the loss of a parent or guardian at a young age. Talking about her dad just highlights how unaware Lizzy is of how privileged she is, her mother being a successful and wealthy woman in her own right. And possibly more frustratingly Lizzy will often mention her dad passing but then doesn’t deliver anything of real depth.

The out of sync audio on her newest vlog is terrible, anyone else would re-film but not lacklustre Lizzy. It’s cool not to make an effort, right?

For anyone interested on Amazon if you take out a free Audible trial you can choose one free audiobook to download, their book is available.
I think I’m going to have to listen to this in thirty minute intervals but so far they haven’t said anything new. It sounds like a more tame, performative version of their podcast with a thesaurus thrown in. The friendship letters to each other was a bit nauseating though.

Has Lindsey moved into Joanna Halpin’s flat? One step closer to single white female-ing them.

Reactions: 16
That piece is so badly edited, spelling mistakes and everything. Even if it's only online i'd expect better of Vogue! It doesn't feel like she has much to say but I think the lack of narrative is on them, a good editor should have been able to pull something with more emotional impact out of what she's written.

What is this?! How old is she? 14? 😐

What's worse, she probably considers writing down two pages of albums and uploading it to IG a full day's work. "Guys, it's been really busy around here, but thank you so, so, so much for your suggestions. I've written them all down and I'm so, so pleased!"

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Yes, that list is very childish, typically something a teenager would do. It also makes me laugh that she set herself the task to listen to these albums from beginning to end. Hang in there, Lizzy! Don’t give up!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.