Little things in life that annoy you immensely #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hoods on hoodies. Neck length needs to be more inclusive. If you have a giraffe neck the hood stops halfway on your head 🦒

Despite living in the same house for a very long time, never knowing if or where to place a Xmas tree, it's always in the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Keep seeing OTT Christmas posts on Instagram
The newest one is a ‘1st December’ box (wtf) someone I’ve seen is doing one for her 6 month old baby with loads of presents, toys and personalised pjs
Am I a total Scrooge or just wait til their older to appreciate it?!

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
Keep seeing OTT Christmas posts on Instagram
The newest one is a ‘1st December’ box (wtf) someone I’ve seen is doing one for her 6 month old baby with loads of presents, toys and personalised pjs
Am I a total Scrooge or just wait til their older to appreciate it?!
Consumerism "someone" will start something and the herd will follow. It's always something that costs money. Strangely, Thanksgiving has never taken off anywhere but the US could that be because there is no money to be made from it?

I have my own thoughts on who the "someone" is but it won't be something who thinks aww this is cute and do it and it just catches on it will have a lot of money invested in it to be able to keep pushing it as a natural trend.

Reactions: 4
Consumerism "someone" will start something and the herd will follow. It's always something that costs money. Strangely, Thanksgiving has never taken off anywhere but the US could that be because there is no money to be made from it?
Surely that’s more because of the reason for the holiday? The holiday celebrates some probably apocryphal story about starving Pilgrim Fathers who were helped by a Native American tribe. Other countries don’t have Pilgrims - well they started out from England but you can’t really celebrate religious persecution as a holiday … - or Native Americans so there’s no way you can shoehorn the Thanksgiving holiday into any other culture. And it’s not like we haven’t adopted the capitalist elements of it. Black Friday (traditionally, the day after Thanksgiving and one of the busiest days for retail in the US) was not a thing here at all until very recently.

Reactions: 2
Surely that’s more because of the reason for the holiday? The holiday celebrates some probably apocryphal story about starving Pilgrim Fathers who were helped by a Native American tribe. Other countries don’t have Pilgrims - well they started out from England but you can’t really celebrate religious persecution as a holiday … - or Native Americans so there’s no way you can shoehorn the Thanksgiving holiday into any other culture. And it’s not like we haven’t adopted the capitalist elements of it. Black Friday (traditionally, the day after Thanksgiving and one of the busiest days for retail in the US) was not a thing here at all until very recently.
You are taking the day too literally. A day to spend with loved ones and give thanks for what you have. if the tradition was to give gifts that tradition would be all over the world now.

Don't British schools now have proms like the Americans, what the duck is that all about.

Reactions: 10
Don't British schools now have proms like the Americans, what the duck is that all about.
Used to be the end of school disco, pretty much a non-uniform day with music but now it's a huge money-spinner, prom dresses and everyone trying to outdo each other with transport in getting there etc.

• Angry
Reactions: 14
Used to be the end of school disco, pretty much a non-uniform day with music but now it's a huge money-spinner, prom dresses and everyone trying to outdo each other with transport in getting there etc.
Yes, I remember that, people trying to sneak drinks in. None of this prom dresses and other waste of money. I feel bad for the kids who can't afford it.

Reactions: 8
Having to be a mind reader because so many cyclists and motorists are totally oblivious to others around them.

Reactions: 7
Such a small thing, but in coffee shops when people don't know the process and try to take your drink.

At all the coffee shops I go to, they take your order, you pay and move down, then they shout your order when it's ready, you step out of the queue and pick it up,

So many times someone behind me orders 'small black coffee' and then stands next to me, the barista then shouts 'large cappuccino' and despite me standing patiently ahead of them in the queue, and it not being what they ordered, they confidentially walk up and try to take it!

Annoys me way more than it should!

• Haha
proms have been a thing in the uk for a while havent they? se had one and i left school almost 20years ago

People who start a sentence with...
'What was I gonna say?' or 'I was gonna tell you something'

Then end the sentence with...
'Ive forgot' and 'but it wasn't important'.

Why start the sentence?
Why not leave me blissfully unaware rather than me wondering what the hell you were gonna tell me.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
proms have been a thing in the uk for a while havent they? se had one and i left school almost 20years ago
I finished school in 85 I think, no fancy proms then. Don't have kids so not upto date on the trends.

It's the girls I feel sorry for, as lads wear a tux I suppose, but girls need pretty dresses, and they are expensive.

As they are now though? I know they started to call it a prom years ago but it was still basically the end of school disco. My son went to a school in a posher area and his was a ball but was still a disco and I drove him there 😂

• Haha
The fact that John Lewis still use the "Never Knowingly Undersold" slogan, when I can find pretty much everything in their stores cheaper elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The fact that John Lewis still use the "Never Knowingly Undersold" slogan, when I can find pretty much everything in their stores cheaper elsewhere.
Let them know, they price match and on electrical give a longer warranty and free support

Same. They’re not really a new thing. It’s one of the few ‘American’ things I don’t mind. I thought it was a nice way to end your time at school, ours was a right laugh. Prom dresses don’t have to cost a fortune either, there are so many options especially these days.

Same. They’re not really a new thing. It’s one of the few ‘American’ things I don’t mind. I thought it was a nice way to end your time at school, ours was a right laugh. Prom dresses don’t have to cost a fortune either, there are so many options especially these days.
It's been a long long time since my school days, I never had any fashion sense, and that didn't bother me . On a uniform free day I wore what I felt comfortable in, didn't care what anybody thought.

Nowadays everyone has a camera 24/7 and if some poor sod wore something unfashionable, then it will haunt them for the rest of their lives. I agree dresses don't have to cost a lot, but if all your friends are dressed like Princess Di and you are dressed like a bag lady you will feel bad, especially girls.

Do schools have year books now, where you can vote which kid is most likely to become a loser. I hope not.

MOT time

appointments between x and y and they always turn up at z o'clock

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.