Little Mix #3 Baby Mix, baldy pics, Jesy vs Little Mix

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do think the attitude you’re taking is very reductive. Like someone mentioned above, just because you don’t see a problem doesn’t mean other people feel the same. You aren’t the only black person here who has an opinion on the matter.

I am well aware that there is a line between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation. I think Jesy has crossed this line sometimes. I am not offended by blackfishing, but I dislike it. Having larger lips has become a trend, so I don’t necessarily blame her for that and I’ve read that her hair is naturally curly. I take issue with her skin tone at times, like the Sweet Melody video and examples used in the article. There’s a difference between being tan (even if it’s bad or patchy) and tanning so deep you look like a different ethnicity (which Perrie never has).

You have your opinion, and I have mine. They differ, and that’s perfectly fine.

On another topic, the comments about Perrie and Jade’s weight highlight an issue I have with Jesy, and Demi Lovato. Both have unfortunately struggled and I think they can get tunnel vision, and only see how things effect them and not other people. The same can even be said about how she spoke about the racism Leigh-Anne has faced.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
You are offended by someone tanning&having surgery?be offended by most of the nation then.

She black fishes because she does things most of the country do?i hate the perpetually offended especially on behalf of others.the girl grew up in an urban background.

I’ve just looked on twitter and thank god most people agree with me that it’s ridiculous.from reading this thread I thought there’d be a witch hunt 1 even commented on here her solo career may be over before it started,but no,people in the real world see how stupid it is.this is such a toxic and bitchy 14 year old girl thread lol.
No one is saying you have to be offended, you can feel any way you want, just as others are perfectly entitled to be offended. It’s a big problem for a lot of people so Jesy should at least recognise that and maybe understand the issues, even if she doesn’t agree with it. It’s a complex issue, a gossip site like this probably isn’t the most productive place to discuss it more in-depth but at the very least, many people have been offended by it and they have every right to be just like you have every right to not be.

Reactions: 8
I don’t even like Jesy but that ‘article‘ and the reaction to it makes me uncomfortable. If Black people believe she blackfishes then they’re absolutely entitled to raise questions and voice their opinions but everything else is nonsense, sorry. Jesy has always been a self absorbed twit so it’s not surprising she wasn’t sensitive to the other girls problems but the only people who deserve an apology for this are Leigh, Jade and Perrie, not the Twitter mob baying for blood. This thing about holding people to account for things that don’t personally affect you is so weird. If you don’t like her then don’t continue to support her. She’s a public figure so she’ll always be scrutinised which comes with the territory but I just find the intensity of the pile on a little concerning. She hasn’t murdered anyone, she’s just a bit of a dick.

Reactions: 15
You are offended by someone tanning&having surgery?be offended by most of the nation then.

She black fishes because she does things most of the country do?i hate the perpetually offended especially on behalf of others.the girl grew up in an urban background.

I’ve just looked on twitter and thank god most people agree with me that it’s ridiculous.from reading this thread I thought there’d be a witch hunt 1 even commented on here her solo career may be over before it started,but no,people in the real world see how stupid it is.this is such a toxic and bitchy 14 year old girl thread lol.
I actually found the article on Twitter and all I’ve seen on there is fans and non fans being extremely concerned and disappointed with Jesy and most people on there didn’t even realise Jesy was white! I honestly forgot that Jesy is white and I’ve been a fan for years.

The problem isn’t with the fact she fake tans, that’s fine, I fake than, it’s that she fake tans to the point she looks a different race. It could just be her natural features aswell that she accentuates when she wears fake tan and wears her make up a certain way (and her hair) that make her look non white and then there’s the fact she sometimes fake tans and ends up looking darker than Leighanne.

Reactions: 6
I actually found the article on Twitter and all I’ve seen on there is fans and non fans being extremely concerned and disappointed with Jesy and most people on there didn’t even realise Jesy was white! I honestly forgot that Jesy is white and I’ve been a fan for years.

The problem isn’t with the fact she fake tans, that’s fine, I fake than, it’s that she fake tans to the point she looks a different race. It could just be her natural features aswell that she accentuates when she wears fake tan and wears her make up a certain way (and her hair) that make her look non white and then there’s the fact she sometimes fake tans enough to look darker than Leighanne.
So again,because she tans.ok.

Reactions: 3
So again,because she tans.ok.
If you can’t understand why this is a problem then that’s fine, you do you, but don’t come on here all high and mighty because you don’t see the problem when there’s a lot of people that do. If you’re not offended then fine, just don’t undermine or belittle others who are for valid reasons.

Reactions: 14
If you can’t understand why this is a problem then that’s fine, you do you, but don’t come on here all high and mighty because you don’t see the problem when there’s a lot of people that do. If you’re not offended then fine, just don’t undermine or belittle others who are for valid reasons.
I see the problem with people being perpetual offended.ive asked why people are offended& been told because she fake tans.im not high and mighty,I just am appalled that people down play actual racist issues by giving nonsense like this air time.being offended a girl tans is absurd.even more so when you are justifying her band mate doing the same because she doesn’t go as dark and looks patchy.either it’s ok to fake tan or it’s not.2021 is a ridiculous year,people offended over nothing and making absolute mountains out of molehills.this thread is so toxic.

Reactions: 8
I see the problem with people being perpetual offended.ive asked why people are offended& been told because she fake tans.im not high and mighty,I just am appalled that people down play actual racist issues by giving nonsense like this air time.being offended a girl tans is absurd.even more so when you are justifying her band mate doing the same because she doesn’t go as dark and looks patchy.either it’s ok to fake tan or it’s not.2021 is a ridiculous year,people offended over nothing and making absolute mountains out of molehills.this thread is so toxic.
if this thread is so toxic then leave? no one's begging you to stay.

Reactions: 21
So you’re offended by people being offended. Okay we get that now.

Reactions: 12
Jesy standing next to Leigh in the sweet melody video is maybe where the line has been crossed in a very obvious way. Leigh’s documentary was her trying to tell everyone that she feels she has to work harder because of her skin colour and not feeling seen or heard as much as the others but feels Jesy does not because she’s white. They look the same colour stood next to each other, why should Leigh feel the way she does about her colour but Jesy look the same and not have the same ‘struggle’.

I don’t know if that makes sense but I know what I’m trying to say 😂

Reactions: 18
girlsmouther, first pls fix your keyboard settings to have spacing after punctuation bc i can't be losing my eyesight over this pointless tattle argument.

can we focus on how jesy's career is ruined before it even started :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 16
There probably is such a thing but it’s done for very different reasons. If someone of colour is either intentionally or unintentionally trying to make their skin colour, hair, features appear lighter or ‘more white’ then it’s more than likely due to racism that they have experienced which is not the reason why white people (mostly white females) appropriate African American features, hair, skin colour etc etc (aka black fishing).
I was aware of the historic pressure (and that feels like a terrible understatement) placed on black women to look more white. In the US it is still legal in some places to ban natural hair/afros in the work place and at schools. The skin lightening industry remains in existence and is abhorrent.

However, what I'm saying is that I do not believe all, or even most black women straighten their hair, wear blonde wigs, wear western clothes etc because of ingrained racism. Many, certainly in the UK and US do this because it's fun to change haircolour, hair length etc. In this context it's not dissimilar to fashion trends, which are frequently inspired by other cultures.

We're a very connected world and the UK, US and others are a melting pot of people of different colours, cultures, religions etc. We have the opportunity to learn about and embrace our differences and to share traditions and cultures.

Context and motivation is all. If white people style themselves as a POC at a fancy dress or for any derogatory reason, that is clearly wrong. We have plenty of examples of this occurring fairly recently, which is disgusting. But most people of all colours who style themselves in a way that adopts aspects of another culture, do so because they admire and desire these things.

I'm a white English person. I wear:

Jeans - but I'm not a labourer in the US
Gingham - originated outside the UK
Pashminas - from outside the UK
Trainers - from the US
Makeup - first known use in Egypt 4000BC
Nail varnish - traced to China in 3000BC

I am not trying to understate the impact of racism, but do feel that white people seem to be attacked on all levels. I'm not a stupid person, but I am really struggling to keep up with what's 'allowed' and what makes me, not someone who is trying my best to understand an every changing set of rules, but am evil racist deserving of death threats.

Reactions: 15
Jesy could do with learning but I am uncomfortable by the way this is panning out.
Yes me too. I don’t disagree that she needs to educate herself, but I don’t think the media pile on is necessary. Isn’t Ariana grande just as “guilty” of this? Jesy has a huge amount of body hang ups as it is, her wanting to change her look (while sad and potentially problematic) is not malicious.

I just don’t think this pile on actually helps the conversation.

Reactions: 7
The only bit in that article I disagree with is the Mel C ‘slut shaming’ comment. It’s completely taken out of context, I remember watching it at the time and Mel C had basically slut shamed Little Mix for their bodysuit outfits, so Jesy was just highlighting her hypocrisy
Completely agree, I remember when Mel said that and thought it was a bit rich when Spicr Girls lyrics were so provocative and their audience was kids!!!! Little Mix has a much broader audience and their clothing was no different to Beyoncé!

Reactions: 6
The issue here for me is that Jesy obviously has seen everyone's comments ove rthe years - we know she actively seeks out comments on social media - and the only thing that bothers her is when people talk about her weight etc, not the fact that she comes across as racially ambiguous. You don't get to enjoy the 'perks' of being a different ethnicity when we've had to grow up being bullied for the same thing (in my case, being laughed at for my thick Asian brows that are now 'accepted' as a trend amongst the Western community). I would accept that she thought she was under the cultural appreciation category, but as a previous video posted on here blatantly showed that she had no awareness for Leigh Anne's issues as a black woman because she was blindsided by her own bubble, it does classify as appropriation to me. Even if it isn't just black culture she is appropriating, she definitely enjoys the racial ambiguouity if it.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I won't even comment on this as I admittedly don't know enough about it. It is odd I agree that she has now went full steam ahead on a solo career after making it seem she was standing back from the limelight and fame.
I just feel this article on her (not disagreeing or agreeing with it) is heavy hitting and I hope doesn't cause damage that can't be fixed.

Reactions: 3
Completely agree, I remember when Mel said that and thought it was a bit rich when Spicr Girls lyrics were so provocative and their audience was kids!!!! Little Mix has a much broader audience and their clothing was no different to Beyoncé!
Not me reminiscing about singing ‘2 become 1’ on my karaoke machine at age 5 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
this is such a toxic and bitchy 14 year old girl thread lol.
You signed up to Tattle, I’m not sure what you expected?

look you may not be offended, but you can’t deny there is a degree is of education to be had here.

The issue here for me is that Jesy obviously has seen everyone's comments ove rthe years - we know she actively seeks out comments on social media - and the only thing that bothers her is when people talk about her weight etc, not the fact that she comes across as racially ambiguous. You don't get to enjoy the 'perks' of being a different ethnicity when we've had to grow up being bullied for the same thing (in my case, being laughed at for my thick Asian brows that are now 'accepted' as a trend amongst the Western community). I would accept that she thought she was under the cultural appreciation category, but as a previous video posted on here blatantly showed that she had no awareness for Leigh Anne's issues as a black woman because she was blindsided by her own bubble, it does classify as appropriation to me. Even if it isn't just black culture she is appropriating, she definitely enjoys the racial ambiguouity if it.
This!
My friend has been trying to make it big in the music industry for years. She’s mixed race and has faced a lot of set backs because she doesn’t “fit the aesthetic” and “wouldn’t be marketable” because of the colour of her skin and her hair. It makes me sad to think that there’s probably a lot of artists out there with heaps of talent unable to get a break because of this.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.