Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
And here we go. Asking for recommendations of inclusive brands.

Do. Your. Own. Research. Stop. Begging. For. Freebies. Stop. Profiting. From. Black. Lives. Matter.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 25
Their podcast theme they're recording is university. Considering it's been getting on for 10 years since they left uni I'm not sure anyone wants to hear the irrelevant ramblings of two women in their thirties talking about the "crazy" stuff they got up to at uni.

Utter lack of creativity - seriously who is this aimed at?!

• Haha

Aardvark

Chatty Member
Her comment about not spending enough time with Grey made me really sad - her entire life is home based, her ‘work’ is flexible, her husband is at home all the time at the moment and supports with child care, and she apparently has no hobbies or interests to distract her, and she still feels she’s not giving enough focus to her child so god knows what she is doing all day.

If she put the phone down and stopped putting every single thought she had onto insta stories she might find she’s able to live in the moment a bit more and develop a passion for things that interest her rather than thinking a video of her and her husband moodily eating lunch was of interest to anyone watching.

• Heart

Starttheline

VIP Member
Poor Rich, forced to use a desk that is only good for the 'gram. No wonder he's got back ache.

Or maybe he's just finally lost it and is rocking back and forth due to lockdown with Lily..

• Haha

Jxtina

Chatty Member
I've unfollowed her at last, plus a ton of other influencers who have seemingly jumped on this and made it abundantly clear it's to make themselves look good rather than anything else. FWIW I'm white and I know that there is much more I need to do and learn. But I can do that without Lily preaching to me and I'll be damned if my engagement through following her makes her think that she is doing her bit because I happened to look at her token stories before she returns to the same old moaning. Her words are meaningless without action and from watching her and reading the discussions here, it's clear that action is not her strong point. I'll take my education from reading and watching a broader spectrum of creators, authors and broadcasters than a woman who didn't apologise for her comments on what streets she does or doesn't feel safe on.

Reactions: 24

Gossiperina

NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE HERE BUT I THINK WOMEN IN THEIR 30'S, WHO HAVE KIDS AS WELL LOOK RIDICULOUS IN TIE DYE. I SAID IT!!!!

• Haha
Quick question (and I am not trying to protect Lily, I am just trying to understand).
Lily is British and the majority of her followers will be British, and, most likely, white. And of course BAME in the UK experience racism, but the situation in UK is quite different from the situation in the US. It is of course bad that there is not a very big number of BAME students attending Oxbridge, but it is not as bad as getting killed by a police officer just because of your skin colour.
My question is why do you expect Lily, Anna or any other British influencers talk about Black Lives Matter if it doesn’t impact the majority of their followers? Would you expect let’s say a Polish influencer talk about BLM, considering that Poland (from what I know) doesn’t have a colonial history, nor did they have black people as slaves.

I am sorry if I am being ignorant, I am just trying to understand. I am Russian, and we have a very multinational country. We did have slavery till 1861 (just like US), but it was the nobility enslaving the peasants from the same country. There is some racism (and it is horrible, of course), but it was never as bad as the US situation. In my school there were quite a few Asian kids, for example, and they were treated exactly like other kids.
Sorry if there are any mistakes, English is not my first language.
I quite personally am sick of people comparing racism in different countries. Russia and Poland are both very racist countries, colonial past or not. Please do you research and find out about how ethnic minorities are treated in these countries. Influencers are being asked to acknowledge their privilege and stand up to injustice. And also , it is lazy to assume that only countries with a colonial past have racism. In addition, there is police brutality also in the uk - again, do your research. And if you haven’t experienced racism which you haven’t because you are white , who Are you talk about the experiences of those that have ? Im sure those Asian kids you went to school with would tell you that they were not treated exactly the same.

• Heart

gigidarcy

There is something so off-putting about her sharing a picture sunbathing in the garden in her million dollar London property telling us how much she is learning about her privilege, while millions of people around the world are fighting for their basic human rights in the middle of global pandemic that is financially destroying us.

• Heart

Afruss

Personally, I think a lot of the motivation for these influencers to post so much content on BLM is because they don’t want to be seen not to. I don’t doubt many, if not all of them, think what happened to George Floyd but they’re definitely motivated to share by their own fear of being “cancelled” or “called out”. I’m finding it hard to truly see their posts as authentic, especially as so much of it feels like they’re preaching. It’s almost like they are trying to absolve themselves of (or at least make peace with) the guilt they feel for having never done anything before, and directly/indirectly benefited from their white privileged within their own industry. Personally, I don’t want to be educated by an influencer - I want them to just recognise what they can do, and what they haven’t done, and to make meaningful changes long term. I’m actually finding it quite patronising.

Have been enjoying these threads (the light hearted and serious discussions!) - long time lurker over here!

Reactions: 23
No mention of donating or anything. I’m just really sick of her empty words. Also , I still can’t get over her saying the “things we can do”. I am black. I do not have to do anything to dismantle racism because I have not done anythiNg. It’s like she thinks that it’s only white women that watch her videos. But when it’s for her benefit, she wants to show the diversity in the following for example when she did that “are you a mum poll”. I just can’t believe it. I’ve subscribed from her, Anna and Ruth - I’m sick of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

janedowe

Chatty Member
Leave him alone to do his stretching in peace without showing the bloody world! I thought you were on your 'mum' day so why do you care? Aren't you busy looking after Greige? Cos you're always so busy on your 'work days' aren't you Lils. :rolleyes:
Such an interesting choice of words. Not ‘went to say hi to Rich’ but ‘went to check on Rich’. Why does he need ‘checking’ on? Sounds very controlling to me.

Reactions: 22

janedowe

Chatty Member
Is funny that she gained a lot of followers on the day she decided to be off for Grey’s birthday. Anyway I thinks she gets new followers thanks to the weekly insta live with Anna.
I think Anna is doing herself a disservice, big time. She needs to unshackle from Lily!

FoggyDay58

She's definitely been advised to amplify her Jewishness as a ruse to convince her audience she is embracing diversity and "educating herself": seen casually slicing chollah bread this morning.

FoggyDay58

It seems like there's no sense of growth or moving forward for Lily.

All of her dire content is very passive and reactive, eg her 'favourites' videos are nothing of the sort - they're just a roundup of all the free stuff she's been sent.

Her stories are often chaotic and there are huge windows of time missing (understandably) but not accounted for. Eg at the weekend when she did her biking story, there was then a huge gap (no mention of where she was going or how it was) followed by I think that weird video of the urban foxes.

Also it strikes me that she's not actually interested in her followers. When she asks them to engage in the comments of her post it's pretty transparently purely for the engagement, not out of genuine interest. And when you compare her to other 'grammers, the difference is striking in this regard - eg Stacey Solomon (for all her faults) genuinely seems to care how her followers are, regularly asks how everyone is and tells how good messages make her feel.

Lily doesn't even pretend to care and I think there's a lot she's hiding about how she really is. Until a few months ago she would sporadically post a pic of herself crying or upset (but never really explain why - usually just saying something like 'instagram vs reality') but that's stopped. Whenever I find someone boring I ask myself whether it's because they're not really engaged or being authentic and with Lily this is definitely the case.

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

contrarymary

Catching up on the new thread and I agree on some level with previous posters about possible PND (mildly or whatever) although as someone else said she’s alway been a bit miserable and sarky (in what I imagine she thinks is an ‘oh so quirky’ personality trait when really she comes off as vile).

Anyway, I think the problem with her is that despite her (putting it loosely) ‘influencer’ ‘success’ (which is only because she’s kind of one of the British YouTube beauty OG’s), she’s very discontented and unfulfilled in life.

Her and Rich have been together since high school or sixth form or something and I think they have just settled. Their timeline is just typical: get together, (they then lived with her parents), rent a flat, buy a house, get engaged, marry, have children, and then just ‘exist’.

I’m not saying that having a relationship like that is a bad thing, as it works perfectly for a lot of people. But something is telling me that if she could rewind the clock she would. Everything screams she’s unsatisfied with her life (for whatever reason - could be creatively, romantically, geographically). I get it in a way cause I’ve felt a similar sort of ‘is this all there is’ feeling in the past.

I’m willing to bet that if they were to meet for the first time now, they would not be in a relationship.

I don’t know the man, but as others have said, I don’t like the way she belittles him either; I don’t like any partner belittling the other. Light piss-taking or joking is fun every now and then (as long as the other person is on board ofc), but there is a line and to some it’s obvious to see when it’s been crossed. I don’t understand people who speak of their partners like shit and in some instances actually broadcast it on social media. I have a couple of acquaintances who do the same thing about their partners and I always wonder why or how they’ve remained in their relationships. It’s not cute.

I think they ‘have love’ for each other because they’ve been together for such a long time but I don’t think they’re ‘in love’ with each other. I doubt they’ll ever split up though because he’s complacent and either is too stupid to realise or would rather just live in peace without argument and she knows that it’s unlikely she’ll get someone like Rich again and more-so, a part of her probably knows that despite her dissatisfaction, her life is actually very good.

Eileen_2019

VIP Member
Didn’t she live in quite a gentrified area?

I really do hate her, shall we remember that she has a black hand on the cover of her book? She is 100% racist and she probably believed that her success is due to her hard work
Remember when she had this massive rant about people at Vidcon sharing a taxi with her and Anna and not even speaking English to each other ? They were not talking to Anna or Lily , but she was fuming and said how rude it was.

• Wow
Reactions: 21

Rondoodle

VIP Member
Lily is a piece of shit. To post that in this current climate! I would just go straight to Gleam and ask if this is the type of person they want on their books. She’s done this so many times. She may not think she is racist but there is an undertone here. She is sneering at those less fortunate than her, pigeonholing them and accusing them for no reason. She’s done this before and she never owns it. Vile

• Heart

SachaStark

She also said on stories this morning that she has previously emailed brands to ask about increasing shade ranges...

I don’t know about you, but I don’t believe that for a second.

• Sad

CheshireLove

VIP Member
I find it so fucked up that she using her Jewish background as a way to avoid very valid criticism of her questionable/rude comments and remarks.

How insincere. Only Jewish when it's convenient for her.

Accusations of being a racist? Quick, break out the challah.

Sick bitch.