Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
It shouldn’t be in inverted commas at all. If you read the whole caption again it’s like she is saying- Iv done my homework- I want to get back to focusing on me. By re using a photo from last week.

IndigoViolet

Couldn’t be bothered to research Fenty beauty before she tweeted her distaste about the name Fenty, couldn’t be bothered to research the background of something she has watched to recommend to almost half a million people. I thought you were EdUcAtiNg YoUrSeLf 🤦🏽‍♀️
Doubt very much that she watched it.

Freebies_come2me

VIP Member
Thank you again for a good explanation. Class will never be something that I will fully understand.
I guess the difference is for my experience with ethnic minorities is that I grew up in a city where what would be considered a “minority” in regards to the population of Russia as whole was in fact a majority in that city. That probably helped. Generally speaking, some minorities have it better than others (I suppose Italians in the Uk get better treatment than let’s say Polish people in general) but in any of my workplaces, or the university/schools I have attended I have ever seen people being treated worse than others. There was one incodent in my university where a Chinese foreign student sexually harassed another student, and he was expelled and deported back to China, but the same happened with a Russian student after I graduated. He was also expelled (obviously not deported). I guess some people would say that it was racist to deport that student, but the student visa rules are very simple - if you are expelled for whatever reason from your university, your visa will be revoked. Same as in the UK, actually.
Essex?

Mrs McCarthy

Chatty Member
My apologies, I didn’t mean for my comment to come across as xenophobic against Russians. I’m really sorry if it did!

Just as you’ve said, we all have our prejudices and biases (conscious and not) and we all need to work on those. 100%.

And if we are a person with privilege, using our voices and bettering our actions to stand up for our those whose voices are drowned out.
This is interesting, as a Russian I didn’t think your comment was xenophobic at all. I guess we all have different thresholds for these things, and that’s why for some people it’s difficult to know where to draw the line.

Mrs McCarthy

Chatty Member
I think it's important that you don't speak for the children you keep mentioning - what you could see on the surface might have been very different to their experience. It might not have been, you might be describing it exactly as they would but I think we should not presume to understand others experience of race and racism.
Well, there were mentions of lunch being made fun of or stolen - we all ate school lunch, so that couldn’t have happened. As part of the school prefect team, we had to watch all of the recreational areas, check the toilets, etc, etc, and no one ever saw or reported anything like that. I can only talk about in-school environment, but we were all very encouraged to talk about any bullying (which is how I know that both Asian and non-asian kids were called four-eyes for wearing glasses). That was dealt with, and the bully (the same child) was put on was called “individual learning” (when he had essentially sessions once a week with the teachers in school and home schooled the other days) So that he wouldn’t be in school when the other children were there. I guess I should have enclosed more about why I have a certain level of confidence that inside the school things like that didn’t happen.

blossombloss

Chatty Member
She just had a baby, married a guy much older than herself, but is so much more grounded and down to earth, dont know how she is friends with Pebbles
omg I had no idea Keisha had a baby!!! I always thought it was a bit odd that she was with that older guy but congrats to her.
I'm surprised Lily didn't mention anything about Keisha (although perhaps I did miss it because I don't follow her) but I got the impression they were really close? They've been friends since they were kids right? And they are basically experiencing motherhood at the same time, just short of one year!

Hasanah123

VIP Member
Speaking of running, does anyone know of a good HIIT app? Or one that allows you to time your workouts like a HIIT session