Lily Melrose a.ka. llymlrs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She used to work in New Look when she first started blogging & has definitely mentioned working in the bakery before.

Reactions: 3
She could easily be in marketing or find seo work. It would be more demanding, significantly longer and regular hours topped off with a lower financial reward at the end of the month but she does have transferable skills. She would struggle with not having afternoon naps or not being able to write off days due to menstrual cramps, negotiating office politics etc.

I liked her YouTube, but I get the impression she felt exposed on there and was living a life (single cat lady, struggling with weight gain and bad skin, pain from her chronic illness) that she didn't see for herself and resented sharing it. She thought she'd marry her ex (alluded to cheating) and have several kids (talled about manifesting being a boy mum) etc. But i liked the hr fact she different she was independent and not a cookie cutter of all the others at the time, living with their schooldays boyfriend, donning fake lashes for days at home whilst wearing over the knee boots and Zimmerman style Lacey dresses with chanel esq quilted bags.

I am not sure exclusively doing hauls on her room, and sending stuff back is of interest now.

Reactions: 10
I quite liked her vlogs when she first moved to her first Brighton flat. She seemed independent, different from the others, showing her make it her own little home. Haven’t really followed her since she quit YouTube. At some stage you need more that trying on clothes in your bedroom at age 30.

Reactions: 17
I quite liked her vlogs when she first moved to her first Brighton flat. She seemed independent, different from the others, showing her make it her own little home. Haven’t really followed her since she quit YouTube. At some stage you need more that trying on clothes in your bedroom at age 30.
That's it isn't it? a lot of influencers can't move past this, there's nothing else to them. hauls were huge back in the day but everyone's aware of how toxic overconsumption is. nobody wnats to watch influencers haul fast fashion in the way they used to and Lily (like most other influencers) doesn't have the creativity to come up with alternative ideas for content

Reactions: 20
The thing is as well that Lily was popular when her style (at the time) was much more ubiquitous, because of the high street and fast fashion domination. It was like style bloggers had a uniform then.

I think things are much more individualistic now, especially given the push for more eco-friendly options, vintage, second hand, small independent labels etc. When a piece does become ubiquitous, like the infamous Zara polka dot dress, it reaches a saturation point and becomes a meme. That never happened with American Apparel Disco pants and Jeffrey Campbell Litas, Topshop camo print jackets and Jamie jeans worn with Converse or Vans, high street rip-offs of Chloe Susanna boots or Isabel Marant Dicker boots worn with Zara mini dresses. All with ombre bleached hair and a Gucci Soho bag, of course!

Lily’s style has evolved somewhat, obviously, but I think she’s too much of a slave to her old ways to be particularly inspiring to most of us. Then there’s the fact that she puts the barest minimum into her photos.

It really feels like she’s stuck in 2010-2013 to me, in more ways than one.

Edited to add: honestly, in like 10 years she’s only changed physically. She’s still doing exactly the same thing with relatively similar outfits and a lack of makeup skills? The poses I find WAY more cringe now, too:

137A5540-C232-4288-9B99-B0C46FCFBA7A.jpeg

(And not to be mean but you can see here she was a good dress size or two smaller than she is now, she’s definitely not back to her pre-illness weight as some seem to think).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
The thing is as well that Lily was popular when her style (at the time) was much more ubiquitous, because of the high street and fast fashion domination. It was like style bloggers had a uniform then.

I think things are much more individualistic now, especially given the push for more eco-friendly options, vintage, second hand, small independent labels etc. When a piece does become ubiquitous, like the infamous Zara polka dot dress, it reaches a saturation point and becomes a meme. That never happened with American Apparel Disco pants and Jeffrey Campbell Litas, Topshop camo print jackets and Jamie jeans worn with Converse or Vans, high street rip-offs of Chloe Susanna boots or Isabel Marant Dicker boots worn with Zara mini dresses. All with ombre bleached hair and a Gucci Soho bag, of course!

Lily’s style has evolved somewhat, obviously, but I think she’s too much of a slave to her old ways to be particularly inspiring to most of us. Then there’s the fact that she puts the barest minimum into her photos.

Edited to add: honestly, in like 10 years she’s only changed physically. She’s still doing exactly the same thing with relatively similar outfits and a lack of makeup skills? The poses I find WAY more cringe now, too:

View attachment 489352

(And not to be mean but you can see here she was a good dress size or two smaller than she is now, she’s definitely not back to her pre-illness weight as some seem to think).
I completely agree with you. Lilly used to be at the top of her blogging game. She used to post her outfits daily and her style was quickly replicated by her supporters.

But she hasn't evolved as the influencer world has evolved. Tik tok has shone such a light on individuality, community and self love that the OG blogger crowd cant keep up and integrate into. The attempts at reels have been almost painful watch and don't have any signs of originality. All i see these days are a slew of instagram questioners about "What would you like to see" with people like Lily trying to keep up with the ever changing world of social media.

I too liked Lily back in the day but I can't relate to her now and the mentality of thinking that wearing a fedora and star print is a personality trait has made me skip past many a story. I also found some of her O&A answers lately a bit defensive.

Reactions: 11

View attachment 489352

You’ve summed it up perfectly. I think we can all look back in the past and feel nostalgic and miss the person we were, our hair, our size, our style, our life, but ultimately time moves on. I wonder if deep down she wishes she was back in the early days, it seemed
easier back then, maybe her illness has made her life take a different path and she’s got stuck. I unfollowed a while ago, I really liked lily, but I was sick of the constant swipe ups and her seemingly endless shopping habits. I had often looked to her for fashion but her style just isn’t what I’m looking for now. We are the same age but on different pages in terms of life. If you look at zoella for example, she was pretty similar in terms of style back in the day (ombré hair, disco pants, etc) but she's changed her style and has evolved over time so i still look to her for fashion.

Reactions: 6
Lily is lazy and stubbornly refused to evolve because she thought she was better than that, but people moved on quickly and she got left behind. She really missed a huge opportunity to become as big as Zoella - she let her content become boring simply because she couldn't be fucked to put the effort in and make changes. Don't get me wrong, I know Zoe could be pretty lazy too, but she put the work in when she needed to. Lily also wasn't particularly personable, she's cold and stand offish, thinking she's too cool to fit in with everyone else. It really rubs people up the wrong way. What a waste though, she could've been set for life if she had been bothered. That's got to sting.

Reactions: 22
Thing is even if she put in the effort, she wouldn't have been as big as Zoe because Lily has an awful personality. She's always thought she was better than other people because she was a `successful blogger~ who ~set trends~

Reactions: 18
I think Lily seems a bit like a ‘gate keeper’ and didn’t like it when others were equally if not more successful than her doing the same things. I also think she got a bit left behind when blogging starting moving over to Instagram and YouTube, it’s almost like she thought she was too good to do that... but in the process kind of got forgotten about.

It’s really fine to not want to go down the YouTube route but I also think just posting old photos on Instagram isn’t the way to go. There’s barely any interaction there at all.

Reactions: 15
Absolutely hilarious that Lily is on Instagram today asking if we want links to outfits she’s worn recently as if she doesn’t link every. single. thing constantly! 😂 Even if you genuinely liked an item she showed, how could you miss the links first/ second/ third time round?! I swear she’s linked those plain blank pants at least 5 or 6 times.

I’m surprised she doesn’t aff link her bloody loo roll.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

View attachment 489352

She looked better with thinner brows and without lip fillers. The lip fillers add unwanted volume to her fatter face. I'm so done with the eyefucking poses she keeps posting. I'm still baffled how she makes any money at all.

Reactions: 10
She looked better with thinner brows and without lip fillers. The lip fillers add unwanted volume to her fatter face. I'm so done with the eyefucking poses she keeps posting. I'm still baffled how she makes any money at all.
I agree. She looks so much more alive and way more individual in the grey t-shirt pic above. I was really struck by it when I found it, I’d forgotten she used to look like that.

So many influencers look exactly the same now. Big brows don’t suit everyone, and lip filler rarely suit anyone in my opinion, especially when overdone.

Lily’s just a clone now. She was at the forefront of something that had a lot of possibility, but was too lazy, stubborn and arrogant to look at the bigger picture. Now she’s a lower tier Instagrammer who’s incessant aff link posting just comes across as desperate.

Reactions: 13
I don’t think Lily will ever return to Youtube as it is unforgiving and for someone like Lily with an ever changing narrative it is hard to delete content, with IG it’s easy to delete an old story or change a caption on the grid.

Lily must be surviving off affiliate links but most on them appear to goto ASOS.
If she’s receiving 3% commission then that’s £0.90 commission off someone placing a £30 order. She must need at least £1500 pcm to live on and to accommodate tax, Lily would need 1667 people to place £30 orders each month. I can’t believe even Lily would be stupid enough to live like this.

Reactions: 19
Shame she can’t affiliate link bleach so she can capitalise on the classic ‘llymlrs ombré’ which she invented of course

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I don’t think Lily will ever return to Youtube as it is unforgiving and for someone like Lily with an ever changing narrative it is hard to delete content, with IG it’s easy to delete an old story or change a caption on the grid.

Lily must be surviving off affiliate links but most on them appear to goto ASOS.
If she’s receiving 3% commission then that’s £0.90 commission off someone placing a £30 order. She must need at least £1500 pcm to live on and to accommodate tax, Lily would need 1667 people to place £30 orders each month. I can’t believe even Lily would be stupid enough to live like this.
I'm guessing she also earns income from brand placement in her Instagram stories etc (I'm sure she does this with that styling wand thing), otherwise her income seems really precarious. She buys so much she must be making money some how.

I know some influencers get defensive when people question their income, but it's just so different from other jobs. It's not like I can go on Glassdoor and look at the average income for influencers on YouTube / Instagram / Blogging etc.

Reactions: 9

I totally agree. It’s not sustainable. People will get bored eventually. I hope she is doing more in the background.

Reactions: 2
Affiliate links for companies like ASOS work by placing a cookie on your browser that lasts for 30 days. They also normally pay out on the entire basket not just one product. That means if you ever swipe up even just to take a quick look, she’ll still get commission if you then shop on that site within a 30 day window. I think the average order value on ASOS is quite high. I have to remind myself never to swipe up!

sorry I work in this field that was a ramble reply!

Reactions: 9
Affiliate links for companies like ASOS work by placing a cookie on your browser that lasts for 30 days. They also normally pay out on the entire basket not just one product. That means if you ever swipe up even just to take a quick look, she’ll still get commission if you then shop on that site within a 30 day window. I think the average order value on ASOS is quite high. I have to remind myself never to swipe up!

sorry I work in this field that was a ramble reply!
This is it! This is more how she’s making money I think. People probably aren’t actually buying what she’s linking up, but are buying other bits within the 30 days and that’s what she’s getting money from

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.