Lily Allen #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her uncle is successful music producer Cameron McVey who worked with all saints and neneh cherry.
...Who is the father of pop singer Mabel (daughter of Nenah Cherry), with both being cousins of Jordan Stephens (Rizzle Kicks) etc etc...🙂

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Yes, it doesn't quite add up does it? Miquita talks about being "poor" and mentions a gas bill that they received that they couldn't pay and that "fucked them up" to use her phrase. So to cover it, Andi & co put on a play (as mentioned above with Lily Savage) in order to pay said outstanding bill. Just living in another world. If that's meant to be poor, it sounds a decent lifestyle. Basically hanging out with a load of Trustafarians in Ladbroke Grove squats (i.e. townhouses).

I'm enjoying the podcast but yes, the differences between the two really jump out. Miquita still sounds like the 15-year old when she started PopWorld and Lily has actually grown up.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
In Andi's latest series on the BBC she visits her old home in Notting Hill with Miquita and talks about how poor they were

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
This is the thing - even if they didn’t always have cold hard cash as financial capital, that is very clearly netted out by oodles of social capital. You might not have £700 in your bank account for a gas bill in this moment, but you’re well connected enough that you can drum up that money quickly and in less demeaning/stressful/expensive (eg interest or fines incurred) ways than someone from a lower social class than you. Also it means chances are that situation isn’t long term or permanent for you, plus your earning potential is significantly higher than someone whose best case scenario is working themselves out of childhood poverty into being… a nurse or teacher say. You also have plan bs because you’re surrounded by people with financial means, you’re not trapped in a historically underfunded northern or rural community.

Why are influencers and celebs deathly allergic to admitting any single form of privilege they may have had? Even the free kids Oyster card and decent bus services are a privilege ffs, being pretty is a privilege, good teeth are a privilege, there are so many privileges that so many of us have it doesn’t have to be a case of you have to be Jeff Bezos to have any form of advantage in life?!

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I think her mum was perhaps bad with money, as miquita clearly has been, and there were periods of erratic income.

Which is destabilising for sure, but not the same as having nothing and having no prospect of having more without winning the lottery.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yeah, most people have to take a cash in hand cleaning job to pay an unexpected electricity bill. Not stage a production featuring their famous friends.
Miquita threw a fit when she was asked to pay tax.

I think her mum was perhaps bad with money, as miquita clearly has been, and there were periods of erratic income.

Which is destabilising for sure, but not the same as having nothing and having no prospect of having more without winning the lottery.
Yep I think this is pretty much what Miquita and to a lesser extent Lily's lives were like - super erratic parents who weren't 10% committed to parenting, occasionally got the guilts so coughed up to send them to a fancy school to compensate, but had no idea what to do if that didn't pan out.

Reactions: 13
Miquita threw a fit when she was asked to pay tax
I think a lot of gobby, outwardly left leaning ‘duck the Tories’ luvvies are actually secret conservatives behind the scenes.

‘Everyone should pay MOAR tax! (but not me. I’m the exception. I don’t want to pay any if I can help it)’

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I think a lot of gobby, outwardly left leaning ‘duck the Tories’ luvvies are actually secret conservatives behind the scenes.

‘Everyone should pay MOAR tax! (but not me. I’m the exception. I don’t want to pay any if I can help it)’
agreed, but think the podcast - from what people are saying here - shows how absolute delusional a lot of them are and don’t see themselves as being relatively wealthy at all. Absolute knob jockeys.

Reactions: 10
On r4 now this cultural life. Lily is really having a moment. Hope her new music is good after all this

Reactions: 1
On r4 now this cultural life. Lily is really having a moment. Hope her new music is good after all this
She said on the latest podcast that she doesn’t feel her current studio sessions are going well (yet)… so it might be a while before we get something decent.

For all her faults, I do think she has written some brilliant tracks and she is a very interesting pop star compared to non charismas people like Dua Lipa etc. LDN blew my young mind when it came out. And The Fear is brilliant.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
For all her faults, I do think she has written some brilliant tracks and she is a very interesting pop star compared to non charismas people like Dua Lipa etc. LDN blew my young mind when it came out. And The Fear is brilliant.
Agree 100% with this. I have always adored her second album and it’s stood the test of time. The Fear is a masterpiece. Lily has her faults and her behaviour has been questionable over the years. But she actually has a personality and a spark. Dua Lipa is a great example of a very 1-dimensional and bland pop star personality wise.

Reactions: 19
I do want her to release more regular music. From her “recent” (2018) music Your Choice with burna boy bangs.

Lily does have a point that the tabloids pickup on anything to paint a negative story but never the positive stuff. Like her being the parent at her children's school to start the group to say no to smartphones. Yes it's probably a lot easier to do with parents that live in Brooklyn brownstones, but still such a good thing to do.

She's got the zero fucks attitude that you'd usually get from someone of pension age that used to be in showbiz decades ago and has nothing to do with it anymore.

It's pretty depressing that "second screen" stuff about people making TV shows designed to be watchable while you're on your phone. Not surprising though. Hadn't heard anyone else mention it until lily on the pod.

Lily does have a point that the tabloids pickup on anything to paint a negative story but never the positive stuff. Like her being the parent at her children's school to start the group to say no to smartphones. Yes it's probably a lot easier to do with parents that live in Brooklyn brownstones, but still such a good thing to do.

She's got the zero fucks attitude that you'd usually get from someone of pension age that used to be in showbiz decades ago and has nothing to do with it anymore.

It's pretty depressing that "second screen" stuff about people making TV shows designed to be watchable while you're on your phone. Not surprising though. Hadn't heard anyone else mention it until lily on the pod.
Second screen was a shock but sadly not surprising given my own habits 😭

Reactions: 4
Just listened to her audiobook today while doing the housework - interestingly Miquita barely gets a mention. She pops up once or twice but someone called Jess is referred to as her best friend, and seems to be the one who was with her through her most challenging times

Reactions: 8
My understanding is that she seeks the tabloid attention. I don't see a lot of actually famous people being swarmed like she is. It's a dead giveaway to me seeing as even her husband is more famous than she is but he can get away from the press whenever he wants to.

Reactions: 9
Just listened to her audiobook today while doing the housework - interestingly Miquita barely gets a mention. She pops up once or twice but someone called Jess is referred to as her best friend, and seems to be the one who was with her through her most challenging times
Miquita has definitely not read her autobiography as many things that are new information to her are in the book :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 11