LGB Discussion #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
More lesbians being told they should have sex with men

Meanwhile boys on puberty blockers, a high percentage of whom will be gay or bisexual

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
Sadly there's still a lot of the old type, too.

I did consider screenshotting the last 10 homophobic tweets I'd reported along with screenshots of the emails I got back telling me no rule violation had occurred. But then I thought it was unfair to subject you all to that kind of language (mostly slurs).

I know many will say "ah well, it's the internet, what do you expect?" but I don't think people would type out homophobia if they didn't think it, and many of them will people who are nice to your face... which is quite creepy in a way!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Sadly there's still a lot of the old type, too.

I did consider screenshotting the last 10 homophobic tweets I'd reported along with screenshots of the emails I got back telling me no rule violation had occurred. But then I thought it was unfair to subject you all to that kind of language (mostly slurs).

I know many will say "ah well, it's the internet, what do you expect?" but I don't think people would type out homophobia if they didn't think it, and many of them will people who are nice to your face... which is quite creepy in a way!
It’s a harder slap in the face when being gaslit by homophobia and the very organisations that claim to represent you cheer it on though.

I would take old-fashioned, blatant “it makes me sick to my stomach” homophobia than the gaslighting “how do you know you don’t like it if you’ve never tried it” homophobia any day of the week.

Just this
I only had to read a few replies to that tweet to know things we weren't doing "so well" before and still aren't really.

Put behind spoiler tags in case people would rather not read it.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 21.55.26.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 21.59.56.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 22.04.18.png
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 22.03.26.png

There's very much a "we said the gays weren't normal back then and now we're being proven right" about it all. Which shows those people never supported the LGB either.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but it annoys me when organisations like that Twitter account act like everything was rosy in the garden for LGB until the T came along. It wasn't. There was never a utopia for us.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I only had to read a few replies to that tweet to know things we weren't doing "so well" before and still aren't really.

Put behind spoiler tags in case people would rather not read it.

There's very much a "we said the gays weren't normal back then and now we're being proven right" about it all. Which shows those people never supported the LGB either.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but it annoys me when organisations like that Twitter account act like everything was rosy in the garden for LGB until the T came along. It wasn't. There was never a utopia for us.
Theres not and has never been a utopia for anybody. Especially on Twitter! I also clicked on that tweet after your post and didn’t see any of that content, just people pretty much saying what we’ve said from the beginning in this thread.

In other news, the Cass report was published today. This paragraph stood out in particular:

As Cass notes, most of the teenagers involved are lesbian, bisexual or gay: she quotes figures from the GIDS service in 2016 (Holt et al., 2016; the most recent data available) which reported sexual orientation in 57% (97) of a clinic sample of patients over 12 years of age for whom this information was available. 68% of girls were only attracted to other girls and 21% to both girls and boys. In the case of boys, 42% were attracted to other boys and 39% to both girls and boys. (p. 18). In other words, 89% of girls and 81% of boys were either homosexual or bisexual. These are extraordinary figures. But gay teens aren’t sick. If they mistake their emerging sexual orientation for a “gender identity” issue, they need assurance that it is fine to be gay, lesbian or bisexual, not affirmation that they are the opposite sex and that drugs and surgery will relieve their distress.

• Heart
Theres not and has never been a utopia for anybody. Especially on Twitter! I also clicked on that tweet after your post and didn’t see any of that content, just people pretty much saying what we’ve said from the beginning in this thread.

In other news, the Cass report was published today. This paragraph stood out in particular:

As Cass notes, most of the teenagers involved are lesbian, bisexual or gay: she quotes figures from the GIDS service in 2016 (Holt et al., 2016; the most recent data available) which reported sexual orientation in 57% (97) of a clinic sample of patients over 12 years of age for whom this information was available. 68% of girls were only attracted to other girls and 21% to both girls and boys. In the case of boys, 42% were attracted to other boys and 39% to both girls and boys. (p. 18). In other words, 89% of girls and 81% of boys were either homosexual or bisexual. These are extraordinary figures. But gay teens aren’t sick. If they mistake their emerging sexual orientation for a “gender identity” issue, they need assurance that it is fine to be gay, lesbian or bisexual, not affirmation that they are the opposite sex and that drugs and surgery will relieve their distress.
Well, there's not a utopia for anybody, but straight people don't usually receive abuse for their sexuality. For example, I can't see anyone saying "straight sex is deviant behaviour". :D

I mean, I can go and get the links to those tweets I screenshotted to prove they exist if you want?

You often seem to want to minimise homophobia. Surely the only response to those sorts of tweets is to condemn the homophobia contained therein rather than saying "well, no one has it good on Twitter and I didn't see those tweets you highlighted". I don't get the benefit to you of sweeping it under the carpet, though?

Reactions: 1
Well, there's not a utopia for anybody, but straight people don't usually receive abuse for their sexuality. For example, I can't see anyone saying "straight sex is deviant behaviour". :D

I mean, I can go and get the links to those tweets I screenshotted to prove they exist if you

You often seem to want to minimise homophobia. Surely the only response to those sorts of tweets is to condemn the homophobia contained therein rather than saying "well, no one has it good on Twitter and I didn't see those tweets you highlighted". I don't get the benefit to you of sweeping it under the carpet, though?
I posted the original twitter as it illustrated perfectly the other link and screenshot I shared. Namely that a trans-identified male who identifies as a minor attracted person aka paedophile is happily blogging away that as LGBTQ and MAP are both hated by the right wing (a common enemy) they should learn from each other and work together.

• Sick

I mean, I can go and get the links to those tweets I screenshotted to prove they exist if you want?

I didn’t say they didn’t exist, I said that I didn’t see them and only saw comments in line with what most of us have been saying on this topic. I wasn’t implying you were lying, I was implying that you must have scrolled past a lot of those sorts of comments to find your examples.

And I’m not sweeping homophobia under the carpet nor minimising it as it was the topic of discussion yesterday and today. You just don’t agree with me what homophobia is. Like that Cass report says: Gays teens aren’t sick.
---
I posted the original twitter as it illustrated perfectly the other link and screenshot I shared. Namely that a trans-identified male who identifies as a minor attracted person aka paedophile is happily blogging away that as LGBTQ and MAP are both hated by the right wing (a common enemy) they should learn from each other and work together.
I’ve just read that article as I just read the screenshot before. Equal parts disgusting and deranged.

Last edited:
I didn’t say they didn’t exist, I said that I didn’t see them and only saw comments in line with what most of us have been saying on this topic. I wasn’t implying you were lying, I was implying that you must have scrolled past a lot of those sorts of comments to find your examples.

And I’m not sweeping homophobia under the carpet nor minimising it as it was the topic of discussion yesterday and today. You just don’t agree with me what homophobia is. Like that Cass report says: Gays teens aren’t sick.
Ha! I didn't have to look far. I was just disputing the part that said "we were doing so well". It's false.

I don't think gay teens are sick either. I think gay teens should be treated with kindness and told there's nothing wrong with them.

I think we agree on what homophobia is, I think where we disagree is what proportion of it lies in straightforward abuse/slurs and how much sits within the type you describe. You seem almost obsessed with the 'trans' aspect of it to the exclusion of all else.

Ha! I didn't have to look far. I was just disputing the part that said "we were doing so well". It's false.

I don't think gay teens are sick either. I think gay teens should be treated with kindness and told there's nothing wrong with them.

I think we agree on what homophobia is, I think where we disagree is what proportion of it lies in straightforward abuse/slurs and how much sits within the type you describe. You seem almost obsessed with the 'trans' aspect of it to the exclusion of all else.
Not obsessed, I already explained

It’s a harder slap in the face when being gaslit by homophobia and the very organisations that claim to represent you cheer it on though.

I would take old-fashioned, blatant “it makes me sick to my stomach” homophobia than the gaslighting “how do you know you don’t like it if you’ve never tried it” homophobia any day of the week.

A gay man's personal observation

• Heart
I think we agree on what homophobia is, I think where we disagree is what proportion of it lies in straightforward abuse/slurs and how much sits within the type you describe. You seem almost obsessed with the 'trans' aspect of it to the exclusion of all else
I think, arguably, it is easier to see and call out blatant homophobic abuse/slurs because it does not purport or seek to be anything else. The people who resort to using this type of abuse repeat the same old insults and tropes and it is offensive and hurtful, but it is what you would expect from a certain type of bigoted homophobe.

What is happening now though, is that it’s becoming increasingly common for gay teens, especially those who may also have other vulnerabilities, to be encouraged to explore a ‘reason’ for their sexual orientation, rather than just be told there’s nothing wrong with them. This article from The Times a year ago highlights the experience of young people referred to the Tavistock from the pint of view of clinicians:

So many potentially gay children were being sent down the pathway to change gender, two of the clinicians said there was a dark joke among staff that “there would be no gay people left”.
“It feels like conversion therapy for gay children,” one male clinician said. “I frequently had cases where people started identifying as trans after months of horrendous bullying for being gay,” he told The Times.
“Young lesbians considered at the bottom of the heap suddenly found they were really popular when they said they were trans.”
Another female clinician said: “We heard a lot of homophobia which we felt nobody was challenging. A lot of the girls would come in and say, ‘I’m not a lesbian. I fell in love with my best girl friend but then I went online and realised I’m not a lesbian, I’m a boy. Phew.’”

Granted, these teens must have been experiencing significant problems to end up at the Tavistock, but what about all the ones that just sit at home watching social media, who are questioning their sexuality and are persuaded that they are ‘trans’ because trans is easier for homophobic parents or classmates to get their heads round? This is a real problem now. It seems to be becoming more acceptable amongst young people to be ‘trans’ than gay. And organisations which would formerly have supported young gay people are also focusing much more on identity than sexuality. It is a subtle, creeping homophobia which is much harder to name because bodies that should be helping to stamp it out are instead complicit.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think, arguably, it is easier to see and call out blatant homophobic abuse/slurs because it does not purport or seek to be anything else. The people who resort to using this type of abuse repeat the same old insults and tropes and it is offensive and hurtful, but it is what you would expect from a certain type of bigoted homophobe.

What is happening now though, is that it’s becoming increasingly common for gay teens, especially those who may also have other vulnerabilities, to be encouraged to explore a ‘reason’ for their sexual orientation, rather than just be told there’s nothing wrong with them. This article from The Times a year ago highlights the experience of young people referred to the Tavistock from the pint of view of clinicians:

So many potentially gay children were being sent down the pathway to change gender, two of the clinicians said there was a dark joke among staff that “there would be no gay people left”.
“It feels like conversion therapy for gay children,” one male clinician said. “I frequently had cases where people started identifying as trans after months of horrendous bullying for being gay,” he told The Times.
“Young lesbians considered at the bottom of the heap suddenly found they were really popular when they said they were trans.”
Another female clinician said: “We heard a lot of homophobia which we felt nobody was challenging. A lot of the girls would come in and say, ‘I’m not a lesbian. I fell in love with my best girl friend but then I went online and realised I’m not a lesbian, I’m a boy. Phew.’”

Granted, these teens must have been experiencing significant problems to end up at the Tavistock, but what about all the ones that just sit at home watching social media, who are questioning their sexuality and are persuaded that they are ‘trans’ because trans is easier for homophobic parents or classmates to get their heads round? This is a real problem now. It seems to be becoming more acceptable amongst young people to be ‘trans’ than gay. And organisations which would formerly have supported young gay people are also focusing much more on identity than sexuality. It is a subtle, creeping homophobia which is much harder to name because bodies that should be helping to stamp it out are instead complicit.
I'd love to see statistics on how many gay teens aren't accepted by their parents in 2024 to the point that they would seek therapy at clinics like Tavistock for it (though I understand that's now been closed).

I'd also love to see statistics on how many parents wouldn't accept a gay child but would accept a trans child. When parents don't accept gay children it's usually for religious reasons or being scared of how others may perceive them and their child. Therefore, I don't believe that many of those parents would think their child being trans would be 'better' than being gay.

Take a fictional but typical example of "Mrs Jones" - who's a conservative religious mother - her teen son tells her he's gay. I'm pretty sure her first reaction would be to tell him he's not gay, he's straight, God's testing him and he's just going through a phase. She'll be thinking it's a sin but she'll also be thinking of the 'shame' of telling other family members and friends (especially in the church) they have a gay child. But the one advantage she has (from her point of view) is that she can keep it quiet - she doesn't need to tell anyone. She is not going to think "oh if he's trans and turns into a girl, my church and other family members will be fine with that!" That will have just as much stigma to it and obviously can't be hidden in any way.

Yet I constantly read posts like yours and other areas of the internet who've turned the trans thing into this massive huge issue and act like they're mostly doing it for us gays, that we need protecting from this massive onslaught of trans rights activists who have convinced most gays that being the opposite sex is better. At best it's nonsense and at worst we're being used by people who want to fight against trans people while using gay people as a weapon to do it.

We're constantly told "we don't want men in our spaces". Fine. Makes sense to me. If I was a biological woman I wouldn't want a man who says he's a woman entering women's loos. I can see why it would be intimidating and why you might be scared he'll assault you or - worse - rape you. But those type of 'trans' people (if we call them that) aren't gay, are they? If they get a thrill out of dressing up as a woman and are sexually attracted to women then transitioning isn't done to get away from the stigma of being gay.

I just can't get on board with this insiduous fear that's sweeping the internet that says loads of gay teens are transitioning. I know several people with gay children, I don't know any with trans children. I appreciate I'm one person but I do honestly think people's obsession with trans has blown it massively out of proportion and it's bleeping exhausting. That's why I'd love to see the stats I mentioned earlier. I know I won't get them, though, because they're not easily obtainable. And that's why this narrative continues to persist, because all people seemingly have to do is make a song and dance out of something being true on Twitter for many to believe it.

And all that notwithstanding I'm effectively being told (often by straight people) that the 'real' homophobia is what "should be expected" from a certain type of homophobe. So sod that type of homophobia then. You know, the one I'm actually subjected to. That clearly doesn't matter because apparently the real homophobia is the type where millions of teens are transitioning to get away from being gay. Nope. Not buying it and it's bloody insulting.

Apologies for the lengthy rant, but the whole thing really pisses me off (as it probably apparent :D). But oh well, have at it and enjoy.

Reactions: 1
Yet I constantly read posts like yours and other areas of the internet who've turned the trans thing into this massive huge issue and act like they're mostly doing it for us gays, that we need protecting from this massive onslaught of trans rights activists who have convinced most gays that being the opposite sex is better.
Actually, the ‘trans thing’ most concerned me as a feminist woman wanting to protect single sex spaces. I didn’t come to consider until later its potential effect on gay teens or gender non conforming children. But the AGPs and those wanting to prescribe puberty blockers to kids are all part of the same movement. I agree, as an adult male it probably doesn’t affect you that much and you may well perceive it as “massively blown out of proportion.” It’s hardly a threat if some 5’5 woman purporting to be a male turns up in your loos. And some of those AGPs are gay (those in the vein of Dylan Mulvaney, India Willoughby and the guy off MAFS). There is a strong misogynist streak that runs through some gay men and they seek to take the piss out of women and the way we look. They may not pose a sexual threat to us, but I still don’t want to share personal spaces with them.

I never said that one type of homophobia was worse than another; to me it’s all vile and I will call it out. I’ve been subject to homophobic abuse myself (by men) because of the way I dress / present and have had men shouting slurs out of car windows me when I’ve been walking down the street. They are low-lives.

With the gay teens thing, I’m not just going on what I’ve read in the internet. I’ve seen what’s going on in my own kids’ schools and talked with other parents. Homophobia seems to be more rife than when I was at school, yet there are fast amounts of kids identifying as ‘trans’ and being applauded for it.

To be fair, much the homophobic abuse hurled by TRAs seems to be aimed at lesbians (see the “suck my girl dick” signs frequently displayed at protests), so maybe you don’t encounter it as much.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'd love to see statistics on how many gay teens aren't accepted by their parents in 2024 to the point that they would seek therapy at clinics like Tavistock for it (though I understand that's now been closed).
Well, you can’t. The ever so professional Tavistock didn’t bother to follow up with any data in between handing out hormones like sweets.

Therefore, I don't believe that many of those parents would think their child being trans would be 'better' than being gay.
Whistleblowers at the aforementioned Tavistock are on record explicitly saying that parents would bring their gay children in because it was more acceptable than being gay as in @Metropolis post. Unless you think you have more inside information than the doctors there do, or think they’re lying, or something else?

Take a fictional but typical example of "Mrs Jones" - who's a conservative religious mother - her teen son tells her he's gay. I'm pretty sure her first reaction would be to tell him he's not gay, he's straight, God's testing him and he's just going through a phase. She'll be thinking it's a sin but she'll also be thinking of the 'shame' of telling other family members and friends (especially in the church) they have a gay child. But the one advantage she has (from her point of view) is that she can keep it quiet - she doesn't need to tell anyone. She is not going to think "oh if he's trans and turns into a girl, my church and other family members will be fine with that!" That will have just as much stigma to it and obviously can't be hidden in any way.
Unless your name is Susie Green, in which point you take your 16 year old boy to Thailand where has his dick removed (causing that country to change its laws about that, btw) and then set up a charity to do the same to other children as justification.

I know you don’t agree with the “other side” but do you actually read it (not skim) and understand what we’re talking about? I ask because it’s like you think you’ve did something using a hypothetical situation when that scenario has been played out many times…

We're constantly told "we don't want men in our spaces". Fine. Makes sense to me. If I was a biological woman I wouldn't want a man who says he's a woman entering women's loos. I can see why it would be intimidating and why you might be scared he'll assault you or - worse - rape you. But those type of 'trans' people (if we call them that) aren't gay, are they? If they get a thrill out of dressing up as a woman and are sexually attracted to women then transitioning isn't done to get away from the stigma of being gay.
…And then to segue onto a text like this. You said it makes sense, but do you understand? It seems like you don’t. Question: How can you tell a rapist from a non-rapist if a rape doesn’t occur? If men are responsible for all rapes and women are mostly the victims, do you think it makes sense or do you think it doesn’t make sense for mixed-sexed facilities fully replacing single-sex facilities?

It’s hardly a threat if some 5’5 woman purporting to be a male turns up in your loos. And some of those AGPs are gay (those in the vein of Dylan Mulvaney,
Dylan Mulvaney is a “lesbian” now, FYI.

• Heart