Learning to drive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My child had me up most of the night, I've had around 4 hours sleep. Am I okay to drive today for my lesson? I'm too scared to cancel so close to my test but also very scared I'll have a tit lesson due to being so tired

Reactions: 1
My child had me up most of the night, I've had around 4 hours sleep. Am I okay to drive today for my lesson? I'm too scared to cancel so close to my test but also very scared I'll have a tit lesson due to being so tired
You might have to drive on less sleep in the real world once you pass, so less harm now in a dual control car!

I would just tell your instructor you had a bad night and try not to over think it.

What time is your test next month? Will someone be able to have you child so you can have a better night sleep that night? Although nerves may keep you up

Reactions: 4
I think you’ll be fine personally, as above, you might have no choice but to drive a bit tired on occasion once you pass.
Drink plenty of fluids and have a good breakfast and I’m sure you’l be fine. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You might have to drive on less sleep in the real world once you pass, so less harm now in a dual control car!

I would just tell your instructor you had a bad night and try not to over think it.

What time is your test next month? Will someone be able to have you child so you can have a better night sleep that night? Although nerves may keep you up
Yes, I've arranged childcare for the night as my test is early in the morning.

Thank you everyone for the reassurance, think I'm just overthinking

• Heart
I finally had a lesson yesterday where everything seemed to click. I made mistakes, but I learned from them, and things went well. I felt confident driving for the first time since last November, and then I even drove me and my partner in our car for an hour afterwards too ☺ Two weeks til my next lesson so going to do as much driving as possible in between to keep the momentum up.

Reactions: 5
How far in advance would you advise booking a practical test at the mo? I've heard there's still long wait times, so don't want to leave it too long, but I'm still a good amount of time away from being able to pass!

How far in advance would you advise booking a practical test at the mo? I've heard there's still long wait times, so don't want to leave it too long, but I'm still a good amount of time away from being able to pass!
I'd book it now tbh, you're unlikely to get a test before next year, unless you're looking for cancellations, so plenty of time..plus if it gets closer the time and you're not ready you can always push it back

Reactions: 1
In my local area they had tests on for February 2022 and got snapped up within 10 minutes.

Start looking ASAP!

I'd book it now tbh, you're unlikely to get a test before next year, unless you're looking for cancellations, so plenty of time..plus if it gets closer the time and you're not ready you can always push it back
In my local area they had tests on for February 2022 and got snapped up within 10 minutes.

Start looking ASAP!
Oh wow! Okay I will definitely look into it, that's crazy! Thanks guys 😘

Today I reached a huge milestone, I drove 160 miles alone, topped up the diesel for the first time, and drove in the dark for the first time! I actually felt like a real driver. Worked so hard to build my confidence up and I’m so proud of myself. To some people this won’t seem like much but to me it’s everything. I passed 11 years ago and hadn’t driven since my test! I look back over the last few months and I can’t believe how far I’ve come! To anyone reading this thinking of getting back in to driving or lessons, go for it! Take baby steps if you need to but you will only regret not taking any steps.

Next stop, home bargains!!! Still tit at parking though x

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Today I reached a huge milestone, I drove 160 miles alone, topped up the diesel for the first time, and drove in the dark for the first time! I actually felt like a real driver. Worked so hard to build my confidence up and I’m so proud of myself. To some people this won’t seem like much but to me it’s everything. I passed 11 years ago and hadn’t driven since my test! I look back over the last few months and I can’t believe how far I’ve come! To anyone reading this thinking of getting back in to driving or lessons, go for it! Take baby steps if you need to but you will only regret not taking any steps.

Next stop, home bargains!!! Still tit at parking though x
Have you got any advice please? I passed well over ten years ago and I'm only able to drive around my local town and even that is a struggle

• Heart
Have you got any advice please? I passed well over ten years ago and I'm only able to drive around my local town and even that is a struggle
I only passed my test about 9 months ago and for the first 6 months I only really drove around town and at that only on roads I was familiar with.
I knew that last month I was going to have to drive to my friends hen do, which was on the other side of the country, and somewhere I had never been before, even not driving.
To get my confidence up to start with, I started taking slightly different routes around the town, when I was going to the shops or visiting friends etc, taking in different junctions and roundabouts. I then started going out for a drive once or twice a week at quiet times, leaving the town and each time venturing that little bit further afield to other towns and villages etc and building up from there.
I done the drive last weekend, and it was fine, no major dramas, took a few wrong turns, but just went with it and turned around or adjusted my route when I felt comfortable. My advice would be to take small steps and just go slightly out of your comfort zone each time, don’t do anything too major to start with if it makes you feel uneasy.
if you’ve been driving for 10 years you can obviously drive, do you mind me asking what your biggest fear of leaving the town is? Is it just the unknown?

• Heart
My driving lesson went amazing today 🙌🏽 there's rumours of October lockdown so I best pass my test this month

Has anyone done pass plus? Is it worth it?

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.