Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's the thing I'm not new started my lessons but with covid my lessons were all spread out over nearly 2 years I got a car nearly two months but only getting 1 lessons for a hour each week as I don't have anyone to go and practice with and think that's half the problem I'm not getting enough practice I have my full 12 lessons done so can book my test but ovbs not ready
Have you spoken to your instructor? What do they say?

Said I need more practice and watch YouTube videos he can unfortunately only do 1 hour a week
Right. Look for another instructor. You need more than 1 hour a week and this guy sounds like he doesn’t really give a tit and im sorry but he’s telling you to go on to you tube to learn something that you are PAYING HIM to teach you?! No! Your instructor is holding you back here.

Reactions: 3
I'm not ignoring the question 🤣🤣🤣

So finding the hole observation thing the hardest I think if I got the hang of that would hopfully get alot easyer
Observation is the most important part of driving . Poor observation will cause you to fail your test so this is something to work on.

Basically you need to do what is going on around you , and anticipate what may happen shortly as you and other road users travel. Do you need to do a theory test where you live? There are probably things online that go over the hazard awareness and explain it.

Get your instructor to help you adjust your mirrors and explain where you should be looking.

Practice too, it takes a while to learn something and it to become second nature.

Reactions: 1
Observation is the most important part of driving . Poor observation will cause you to fail your test so this is something to work on.

Basically you need to do what is going on around you , and anticipate what may happen shortly as you and other road users travel. Do you need to do a theory test where you live? There are probably things online that go over the hazard awareness and explain it.

Get your instructor to help you adjust your mirrors and explain where you should be looking.

Practice too, it takes a while to learn something and it to become second nature.
I did my theory over 2 years ago ill might go back and look over everything because its getting me so down why I'm just not getting it

Right. Look for another instructor. You need more than 1 hour a week and this guy sounds like he doesn’t really give a tit and im sorry but he’s telling you to go on to you tube to learn something that you are PAYING HIM to teach you?! No! Your instructor is holding you back here.
I keep thinking maybe he is only giving me the hour because I'm tit at the driving was kinda shocked when he said about YouTube isn't going to get me fully driving I know some of the videos will be handy but really think it's loads of practice I need

I did my theory over 2 years ago ill might go back and look over everything because its getting me so down why I'm just not getting it

I keep thinking maybe he is only giving me the hour because I'm tit at the driving was kinda shocked when he said about YouTube isn't going to get me fully driving I know some of the videos will be handy but really think it's loads of practice I need
YouTube and TikTok are great for topping up your knowledge, but your instructor should be the one teaching you, I’m sure you’re paying plenty of money to him, to do just that.
Driving doesn’t come naturally to some people (I’m one of those people), and you really have to wait a while before everything clicks into place. I wish I had learned in an automatic, as gears and clutch control was where I struggled, but people put me off by saying I wasn’t really learning how to drive etc etc, so I persevered with the manual, and I eventually got there (now all those people that encouraged me to drive a manual, now drive automatics 😂 and it looks like we all will soon 🤦🏼‍♀️, so don’t worry about that - you do what’s best for you). But you need to first of all need to figure out what’s holding you back, where your problems lie and what’s not clicking before you can do anything about it. As you say it probably is lack of actual driving experience, my cousin and I started around the same time and he passed way before me, as he had been out and about loads in his girlfriends car, where as I rarely got to drive out with my lessons. Have you said that no one else is there to take you out? Are there other instructors that you could book in with? Sometimes I wish driving in the UK and Ireland was as easy as it is in America, where I think they do minimal and just let you on the road at 16 😂
If you find anything specific that you’re struggling with let us know, there’s always someone else who has been through it 😊

Seriously you sound like you’ve just been unlucky and have got a crappy can’t be arsed instructor. Have you ever asked to do more than a single hour each week? I think you need to try someone new - someone who is actually going to pro-actively teach you what you need to know - not someone who is just going to take your money each week, give you no help or guidance and then has the cheek to tell you to look at you tube!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the advice ill keep you updated 😘
See one thing my instructor taught me about roundabouts because I used to panic was it’s fine to stop obviously you are giving way to the right but watch where their tyres are facing because then you can assess the situation clearer. That might not be a great explanation but it made me calmer because I would be able to judge my timing better. As for being more observant that will come in time , it’s just always looking ahead to look for what might come up or could happen x

How’s everyone getting on? My test is next week and I’ve kept this one a secret after two fails 😂

Reactions: 2
The worst part for me was having to tell people that I’d failed when they had been waiting for good news 😅
same!! Happened 3 times now!! Awful… I’m really struggling getting any cancellations recently.. worst ever .. anyone the same? Anyone have any other apps they recommend ?

same!! Happened 3 times now!! Awful… I’m really struggling getting any cancellations recently.. worst ever .. anyone the same? Anyone have any other apps they recommend ?
I swear by the Testi app but I find it only works well for cancellations while you have a test booked.

I’m glad this thread popped back up today. I basically went back through and read it all a few weeks ago while in the midst of angst over my lessons haha.
I am 36 and I have had so many on off attempts at learning to drive it’s embarrassing. Ultimately stopped each time due to consuming anxiety and stress over it.
took another batch of lessons last year while pregnant and actually did my first test - failed but was amazed at the boost to my confidence ironically enough. Compared to lessons I found the test pretty relaxed and I didn’t drive badly just made a stupid error and went too fast in a housing estate (20mph limit).

Took a break while I had the baby and then bit the bullet and booked more lessons in March this year. Finally got the instructor I wish I’d had years ago who has taught me brilliantly and kept me so calm.

My test is tomorrow!!! I feel as ready as I possibly can be but starting to think oh no I hope I haven’t forgotten how to drive….I really hope it’s a pass as it will change my life and let me do so much more with the baby. But let’s see. Sorry this was long haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m glad this thread popped back up today. I basically went back through and read it all a few weeks ago while in the midst of angst over my lessons haha.
I am 36 and I have had so many on off attempts at learning to drive it’s embarrassing. Ultimately stopped each time due to consuming anxiety and stress over it.
took another batch of lessons last year while pregnant and actually did my first test - failed but was amazed at the boost to my confidence ironically enough. Compared to lessons I found the test pretty relaxed and I didn’t drive badly just made a stupid error and went too fast in a housing estate (20mph limit).

Took a break while I had the baby and then bit the bullet and booked more lessons in March this year. Finally got the instructor I wish I’d had years ago who has taught me brilliantly and kept me so calm.

My test is tomorrow!!! I feel as ready as I possibly can be but starting to think oh no I hope I haven’t forgotten how to drive….I really hope it’s a pass as it will change my life and let me do so much more with the baby. But let’s see. Sorry this was long haha.
Wishing you all the luck in the world 💙

Reactions: 4