Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you haven’t got anyone to take you out, why did you get a car?? Just curious!

Can you speak to your instructor and try to make a plan to work on the things you feel aren’t clicking? So for example if you are struggling with parallel parking could you ask to spend a lesson just drilling that, until you can do it, and work through the things that way? Instead of maybe just driving aimlessly around?

It could also be an instructor thing. You just may not be clicking with yours and not finding it that easy to learn from how they are trying to teach it?
Because loads of people told me oh when ypu get your car ill take you out but when it comes down to it they don't so sick of asking people and I thought having the car would help instead of always the instructors

Yes maybe ne t week ill ask just work on things I need to not driving around in circles

It's just really getting me because it's not clicking 😭

Because loads of people told me oh when ypu get your car ill take you out but when it comes down to it they don't so sick of asking people and I thought having the car would help instead of always the instructors

Yes maybe ne t week ill ask just work on things I need to not driving around in circles

What particularly are you having trouble with?

I’m also doing automatic, I have done 10 of my EDT (assume you’re in Ireland by your name) and bought a car a few weeks ago. I’m fortunate enough with my boyfriend that I do all the driving at the weekends, but we can’t really go out after work as he works so late. But a week after buying the car I was driving 2 hour drives across counties and I’m driving from Waterford to Donegal this weekend and I’m not nervous one bit. Once you are getting out there in your own comfort you’ll be absolutely fine. I have had the car just over a month now and haven’t had a lesson since just after I bought it as they’re too busy but I think I’m flying it whereas during the lessons I was constantly nervous and making silly mistakes, I think it’s coz I’m quite shy with new people.

Once you manage to get out you’ll progress so much quicker - I started learning to drive in March and I have to wait until August to book my test (6 month rule) but if I didn’t I’d probably be booking it soon. Best of luck 🍀💚

Last edited:
I’m also doing automatic, I have done 10 of my EDT (assume you’re in Ireland by your name) and bought a car a few weeks ago. I’m fortunate enough with my boyfriend that I do all the driving at the weekends, but we can’t really go out after work as he works so late. But a week after buying the car I was driving 2 hour drives across counties and I’m driving from Waterford to Donegal this weekend and I’m not nervous one bit. Once you are getting out there in your own comfort you’ll be absolutely fine. I have had the car just over a month now and haven’t had a lesson since just after I bought it as they’re too busy but I think I’m flying it whereas during the lessons I was constantly nervous and making silly mistakes, I think it’s coz I’m quite shy with new people.

Once you manage to get out you’ll progress so much quicker - I started learning to drive in March and I have to wait until August to book my test (6 month rule) but if I didn’t I’d probably be booking it soon. Best of luck 🍀💚
That's brilliant well done 👏 In my head kinda thought the same once I have the car ill get the hang of but not turning out that way

That's brilliant well done 👏 In my head kinda thought the same once I have the car ill get the hang of but not turning out that way
So what specifically are you struggling with? If it’s an automatic it’s basically a go cart and no
Gears to deal with so I’m guessing it’s manoeuvres? Or something else?

Reactions: 1
What is the issue you’re having? There’s an Irish guy who does YouTube videos for common errors. I had wile trouble with my steering because I used to do these weird little shifts with my hands rather than doing it smooth. And my instructor never taught me to park so I watched the YouTube videos for that too. He’s honestly really good. The other thing I was bad with was my spacial awareness but that just comes over time. I still panic that I’m going to be flattened by a massive tractor or something 🤣🤣🤣

So what specifically are you struggling with? If it’s an automatic it’s basically a go cart and no
Gears to deal with so I’m guessing it’s manoeuvres? Or something else?
Why does everything think ohh your driving a automatic its easy

Reactions: 2
…… because compared to learning in a manual, it is.

I’m asking you to elaborate on what you are struggling with to try to offer you some advice/help. If you don’t want the help - that’s fine. But don’t be rude!

Reactions: 2
I recommend this guys videos before, they are very helpful. Alot of the time its getting the sequence of maneuvers and observations right and once they become 2nd nature you feel more confident. It's hard when you don't have anybody to practice with but keep going. Get comfortable in your car. Sit in it, practice turning it on and off, reversing on a drive etc.Get to know your secondary controls and under the bonnet so that you know it well. Those things will help too.

…… because compared to learning in a manual, it is.

I’m asking you to elaborate on what you are struggling with to try to offer you some advice/help. If you don’t want the help - that’s fine. But don’t be rude!
I'm not being rude but people keep saying oh it's automatic it's easy and it's not helping been told that if it was easy I wouldn't be asking for advice

I recommend this guys videos before, they are very helpful. Alot of the time its getting the sequence of maneuvers and observations right and once they become 2nd nature you feel more confident. It's hard when you don't have anybody to practice with but keep going. Get comfortable in your car. Sit in it, practice turning it on and off, reversing on a drive etc.Get to know your secondary controls and under the bonnet so that you know it well. Those things will help too.
[URL
unfurl="true"]https://youtube.com/c/DaneTygheletsdrive[/URL]
Thanks so much ill have a look at that

Last edited:
I'm not being rude but people keep saying oh it's automatic it's easy and it's not helping been told that if it was easy I wouldn't be asking for advice
So why don’t you tell us what you are having trouble with? See if we can offer a bit of help?

Reactions: 3

Thanks so much ill have a look at that
Hi , I passed in an automatic ☺ What kind of car/cars are you learning in ? I felt I kept messing up in my instructors car with the smallest of things but really progressed in my own car. X

What is it you’re struggling with? If you let us know then maybe we can help you 😊 Maybe someone on this thread has had the same problems x

I'm not ignoring the question 🤣🤣🤣

So finding the hole observation thing the hardest I think if I got the hang of that would hopfully get alot easyer
In what context? Are you not sure where you should be looking/what to look for etc? If you can give us a bit more information this would be easier!!!!

In what context? Are you not sure where you should be looking/what to look for etc? If you can give us a bit more information this would be easier!!!!
Sorry don't no what best way to explain it kinda bit of both and other thing roundabouts scare me so much

Sorry don't no what best way to explain it kinda bit of both and other thing roundabouts scare me so much
How many hours of lessons have you had so
Far?? You sound very new to driving.

again, can you explain why exactly roundabouts scare you? Do you understand how they work/where you go/what you do and what other road users are doing?

How many hours of lessons have you had so
Far?? You sound very new to driving.

again, can you explain why exactly roundabouts scare you? Do you understand how they work/where you go/what you do and what other road users are doing?
That's the thing I'm not new started my lessons but with covid my lessons were all spread out over nearly 2 years I got a car nearly two months but only getting 1 lessons for a hour each week as I don't have anyone to go and practice with and think that's half the problem I'm not getting enough practice I have my full 12 lessons done so can book my test but ovbs not ready