Laura Jane Williams

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh for Christ’s sake.. I know “write what you know” (lord, I said that with the rolling Rs and swinging jaw of LJ), but London to Derbyshire? Really? Stop painting yourself as the protagonist, read some Mhairi Mcfarlane if you want to know how to write intelligent chick lit.

Reactions: 4
That Amazon best seller rank - does it mean the most popular the book became on Amazon was 20,000th? And is that this year or all time?

... what with all the Dolly Alderton references around her lately? Dolly's book was fresh and very easy and unpretentious. Dolly hers3lf is a tad annoying in her podcast, but seems all around grounded and quite lovely.
Is Laura tired of cosplaying the never soon to be cool mom and need another persona to market ?

Reactions: 2
The thing that annoys me about this is that there are so many brilliant writing courses out there - I did one myself with Curtis Brown, the literary agency - and I got six weeks of online workshops, tutorials, and feedback from the tutor who is an author and an agent. There was also the interaction with the other students through an online forum. But people are so sucked in by Laura that they believe that 100 quid for a webchat is worth it and will help them achieve finishing their novel. Some of the comments are like Laura is providing this unique service that only she can deliver. But there are far more qualified people out there already delivering courses like this, but far more in-depth and with feedback! It’s infuriating.

I have a, spiteful, theory that she harvests their plot ideas to keep her in her 4 book contract. No work, lots of uncontested writers without the publishing company and legal teams, and Tongue-Tip gets £100 per idea too

I have a, spiteful, theory that she harvests their plot ideas to keep her in her 4 book contract. No work, lots of uncontested writers without the publishing company and legal teams, and Tongue-Tip gets £100 per idea too
She doesn't need them. Her editor gives her the plots. (Stolen from other books)

Classic pressure selling technique. Not telling people how many spaces there are. Saying they are "selling fast" and "limited" - when really the places are infitine because it's a souped up youtube video (superlatively wonderful anyone?!) that she broadcasts out like the dictator of a small country. She doesn't even see who is there! Oh wait, doesn't. Give. A. tit.

#SnakeOil

What is stopping one person buying the course then sharing the video round afterwards?

Reactions: 3
She 100% wrote those questions she pretended to answer in her stories, they're literally written like a FAQ. Christ

... what with all the Dolly Alderton references around her lately? Dolly's book was fresh and very easy and unpretentious. Dolly hers3lf is a tad annoying in her podcast, but seems all around grounded and quite lovely.
Is Laura tired of cosplaying the never soon to be cool mom and need another persona to market ?
I've noticed this too. She's the total opposite of Dolly who I've always felt to be far more down to earth and self aware.

Reactions: 1
I've unfollowed. If I wanted to follow a book publicist account thats what I'd do.

Back with a vengeance. I swear there’s more tongue poking, R rolling and self-centredness than ever before. Who stirred the beast?

She's been losing followers, thank god. She's literally turned into one of the obnoxious Marian Keyes-type authors who just drops book after book of badly written 'woke' romantic novels, after being given a plot from the publisher.

That is hugely insulting to Marian Keyes, who writes all her books, has sold in the tens of millions, is incredibly funny and charming, and a general super star 😂 there’s nothing wrong with romance or chick lit.

Reactions: 11
That is hugely insulting to Marian Keyes, who writes all her books, has sold in the tens of millions, is incredibly funny and charming, and a general super star 😂 there’s nothing wrong with romance or chick lit.
Apologies, didn't mean to insult Marian Keyes, I meant to say that Laura's badly written prose gives her this grandeur delusion, and I remember her making snob comments about chick lit in the past, now she's churning out these crappy (and apparently plagiarised) novels like there's no tomorrow

Reactions: 5
She's been losing followers, thank god. She's literally turned into one of the obnoxious Marian Keyes-type authors who just drops book after book of badly written 'woke' romantic novels, after being given a plot from the publisher.
I agree this is hugely insulting to Marian Keyes who publishes incredibly well written chick lit books. I read One Stop and it was written horrendously badly, could practically hear Laura saying the words as I read them. I read one of her non fiction books and that was a pile of tit too. Needless to say have unfollowed and won’t be buying the new one!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.