Laura Jane Williams

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone been keeping an eye on her follower numbers? I’d be interested to see if she’s losing numbers due to this recent reincarnation

Reactions: 1
I know a few people who were into her work and friendly with her a few years ago. I admired her energy and enjoyed reading some of her blog posts and articles. Then the memoir came out and she just got a bit too full-on and buzzwordy for my tastes. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed incredible that a debut author could get a whole book out of breaking up with someone and going travelling, and I’m ambivalent about whether or not that’s something to be admired. There’s a fine line between wanting to grab life by the balls and being full of yourself. I have a lot of mixed feelings and concerns generally about the direction twenty-thirtysomething women writers have been pushed into in recent years. I think it’s brilliant that people with lived experience of all sorts of struggles are talking more openly about them rather than suffering in silence. But I also worry that the media elevates too many people into believing they are some sort of all-round expert on all of life just because they’ve lived, loved and lost. The market for women’s life writing is turning into a middle-class version of going on Big Brother or Love Island. People write about themselves and their crazy twenties lives, then nobody will employ them to write about anything else, then they get sucked into this incestuous cult of “influencer” and just end up monetising their every move and offering courses in how do to the same. People can get absolutely huge reach for talking about perfectly ordinary experiences simply because they are known to some commissioning editor and/or good at self-promoting. People’s stories get spun for hate clicks because writers either don’t know the game or are unhealthy enough not to care. And women who write about genuine trauma (beyond the standard age-typical stuff) don’t get the sympathy and duty of care they deserve from editors and publishers. Writers are also getting younger and younger; they don’t have the right amount of distance and perspective on events. People who write to process trauma need to be helped to do it in ways which aren’t going to hurt them or anyone else, and the market needs to move away from giving women a choice between misery memoir or ballsy buzzwords and sunny hashtags. The women who do life writing well, IMO, tend to be a bit older and less “Here’s me in Soho House with a Bellini, buy my stuff!!!!”

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I know a few people who were into her work and friendly with her a few years ago. I admired her energy and enjoyed reading some of her blog posts and articles. Then the memoir came out and she just got a bit too full-on and buzzwordy for my tastes. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed incredible that a debut author could get a whole book out of breaking up with someone and going travelling, and I’m ambivalent about whether or not that’s something to be admired. There’s a fine line between wanting to grab life by the balls and being full of yourself. I have a lot of mixed feelings and concerns generally about the direction twenty-thirtysomething women writers have been pushed into in recent years. I think it’s brilliant that people with lived experience of all sorts of struggles are talking more openly about them rather than suffering in silence. But I also worry that the media elevates too many people into believing they are some sort of all-round expert on all of life just because they’ve lived, loved and lost. The market for women’s life writing is turning into a middle-class version of going on Big Brother or Love Island. People write about themselves and their crazy twenties lives, then nobody will employ them to write about anything else, then they get sucked into this incestuous cult of “influencer” and just end up monetising their every move and offering courses in how do to the same. People can get absolutely huge reach for talking about perfectly ordinary experiences simply because they are known to some commissioning editor and/or good at self-promoting. People’s stories get spun for hate clicks because writers either don’t know the game or are unhealthy enough not to care. And women who write about genuine trauma (beyond the standard age-typical stuff) don’t get the sympathy and duty of care they deserve from editors and publishers. Writers are also getting younger and younger; they don’t have the right amount of distance and perspective on events. People who write to process trauma need to be helped to do it in ways which aren’t going to hurt them or anyone else, and the market needs to move away from giving women a choice between misery memoir or ballsy buzzwords and sunny hashtags. The women who do life writing well, IMO, tend to be a bit older and less “Here’s me in Soho House with a Bellini, buy my stuff!!!!”
Absolutely spot on.

Completely agree with you. Have been thinking about it a lot lately with growing unease. We are surrounded by content but it’s such an echo chamber.

I honestly worry about the brains of people who spend their lives ‘influencing’ and writing/ obsessing about themselves - you are what you repeatedly do 🧐.

It's illuminating to speak to people she mentions in Becoming.....
Also did anyone notice other than one post about the new book her bestie Calum seems to have backed off too!

Reactions: 3
She's recast her group of uplifting besties for this round of promotion, I give it a couple of months before she posts about people being around for the good times and how people need to embrace all facets of this Laura (third person obvs). All this will be in the form of an Instagram caption with her wearing some overpriced outfit from CoS with absolutely zero awareness that the common denominator in all of this is her.

Reactions: 2
Interesting review.... reminds me of when she conveniently re-used the phrase 'half-way happy' to explain a compromise... which was used in Stranger things...

Attachments

New photos with a new best friend on her grid. I give it three months.

Oh my. I just read Our Stop. What a total utter rip off of The Note. I’m embarrassed for her. Now trying to steal someone else’s life!!!!

Now she is back on about her different personas and how she “owns her own platform”...... is that code for deleting hundreds of old posts?!

This really doesn’t wash with me. I feel for her followers who fall for this to be honest. I did until I read her book. How can she claim to keep it real when she’s a copycat . “All the feels”... Really? Contrived post. Being “you” isn’t being you if you’re trying to rip off and cash in on other people. Self-indulgent self-pity bollocks.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.