Lara Joanna Jarvis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I like Lara and usually find her vlogs interesting however her recent ones about not buying a house are coming across smug. She appears to be laughing at people who own/have mortgages because she's convinced herself that the housing market is going to crash. I'm fed up of her comments - You're all going to be in negative equity, paying off massive mortgages on overinflated houses!! Hilarious, no what's hilarious Lara is you've made a series out of house buying yet have never been in a position to buy.

I don't understand why she doesn't buy something that will do for her family now instead of holding out for a house that I don't think exists. She's wanting to leap onto the ladder at least 4 rungs up not start at the bottom like most first time buyers. Think she'll be at least 50 with no children at home before she gets on the ladder at this rate!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I like Lara and usually find her vlogs interesting however her recent ones about not buying a house are coming across smug. She appears to be laughing at people who own/have mortgages because she's convinced herself that the housing market is going to crash. I'm fed up of her comments - You're all going to be in negative equity, paying off massive mortgages on overinflated houses!! Hilarious, no what's hilarious Lara is you've made a series out of house buying yet have never been in a position to buy.

I don't understand why she doesn't buy something that will do for her family now instead of holding out for a house that I don't think exists. She's wanting to leap onto the ladder at least 4 rungs up not start at the bottom like most first time buyers. Think she'll be at least 50 with no children at home before she gets on the ladder at this rate!
All rubbish she just jealous she can’t afford a 5 bedroom huge house like the other timers months!!! How is she all of a sudden an expert!! 🙄
My house is our forever home no plans of moving here so I’m good thanx love!!!!!

Reactions: 5

Agree, totally smug and throwing shade. I'm in the process of selling my first home and looking for a bigger one. In 2 years and 4 months it has grown 16.75% in value and with the added price boost from stamp duty holiday we're hoping to sell it for 18% higher price than we paid. That's a great investment, much higher yield than any of Lara's investments. And when we buy another house and if the market does crash... so what? We don't plan to sell it for 5-10 years, we have the time to wait it out, as will a lot of people if they ever find themselves in similar situation.

Plus the benefit of not paying rent and only paying mortgage interest, which is way below what our rent would have been. Everything else goes towards the capital, so now we're saving there as well, owning a property has been a win win for us financially.

I do feel for people in this position, as a first time buyer house isn't really ideal when you have two older children, settled in schools and needing space at home. When we started our family and bought for the first time, we sacrificed nice area and nice house for crap area and whatever we could afford to buy. If we had waited, we certainly wouldn't have built the equity we now have, and we'd probably be in a similar position, trying to afford houses to suit our growing family but not our budget. If you have enough for a deposit, waiting to buy is never a good idea, you just keep losing your chances. I wonder if they would be better off looking into a buy to let so they can build equity / get on the ladder, but don't have to live there themselves if it's too small for the family.

Reactions: 1
I have no problem with youtubers offering advise on trivial things like make up or meal prep. But I think it’s wrong that anyone can claim to be a so called property expert and spout all this info as if they’ve got years of experience.

Think I’ll stick to taking property advice from people who have actually studied property law or have been in the mortgage/estate agent business for longer than 5 minutes

Reactions: 6
For years she has been desperate to find her niche. Primark hauls, what I eat in a day all the usual mummy vlogger content never got her numbers up much.

She's has moderate success with the no spend year / financial videos and now thinks she is some kind of Martin Lewis. Problem is she doesn't have the knowledge or experience to back it up.

Reactions: 7
I do feel for people in this position, as a first time buyer house isn't really ideal when you have two older children, settled in schools and needing space at home. When we started our family and bought for the first time, we sacrificed nice area and nice house for crap area and whatever we could afford to buy. If we had waited, we certainly wouldn't have built the equity we now have, and we'd probably be in a similar position, trying to afford houses to suit our growing family but not our budget. If you have enough for a deposit, waiting to buy is never a good idea, you just keep losing your chances. I wonder if they would be better off looking into a buy to let so they can build equity / get on the ladder, but don't have to live there themselves if it's too small for the family.
We looked into BTL and it wasn't really that profitable even before the pandemic. You would need 25% deposit, be taxed on profits made from rent and never know who will be living in your property. I have heard to many horror stories of properties getting destroyed even after the tenants passed all checks with flying colours. And now with the pandemic there's a ban on evictions, you can serve 6 month notice, but the tenants could stop paying rent and you are only able to go to court to evict them if they are in arrears for 6 months or more. It's too risky IMHO.

Reactions: 1
I am really confused by her now really am.
Is there more than we know holding them back perhaps not so great credit history so higher rates or limited lenders.
I thought she only managed save 30k anyway.

We had crossover paying mortgage and rent same month but hired van day 1 then gradually moved stuff over in car then cleaned and painted rental house get deposit back.
We went with independent mortgage advisor his service was free to us he got paid by bank.
The 1st house we placed offer in fell through so then was mad rush find another as mortgage in principle offer was only 3months.
Luckily 2nd house we found privately and big doer upper in so so area was cheaper than house 1 so we were able out down 22% deposit add 1 k fees to mortgage and got 1 k cashback and slightly lower rate just 6 weeks later so we were lucky.
Our house is too small for us youngest is in our room my older girls share and my son has his own room.
We have 2 living rooms spacious kitchen diner and large garden plus decent sized bathroom.
We hope at end 6 years fixed to extend into loft and remortgage.
We been here 2 years and already feel certain its gone up least 20 to 30k.
Based on right move prices local area and postcode how we be looking at 270 to 300k and we paid 237.
We wouldn't be able to afford now if we waited.

The stamp duty was around 2.5k not huge.
We also had money out aside legal fees they had be paid upfront.

The problem is they want too much house in a really expensive area.
No idea if he is a high earner or if any inheritance.
She never updated how much her savings are today.
I wonder if 2020 saw decrease in income.
2018 and 2019 maybe more profitable.
Channel mum ditched her so she seemed get less sponsored ads.
If she wants to go down finance money guru niche she needs to do her research and not say false things.
I don't know what finance guru shes following.

Uk has supply and demand issues so doubtful houses will go down that much and with inflation her current savings are less unless she's investing heavily in stock market savings rates are crap.
Because interest rates are crap making mortgages rates low.
She can keep banging in about 80s and 90s crashes and rates 15 to 17percent.
They been low last 10years.
They never let houses fall in 2007 credit crunch.
We bailed out the banks.
Been so much help to buy last few years and latest stamp duty was for everyone not just first time buyers shes bitter about that too.
I can see Houses continuing to increase and interest rates may go up slightly but not few years the banks won't consider doing it until covid is over and the economy as recovered.
Until then the government will continue prop up the housing market and we another 4 years if current government.

I fear shes making a mistake and will be priced out.
Other you tubers seem to manage it..
Granted meldrums only owned half their 1st house and ash mama Reid is on her 3rd property.
Think even Lucy and Jordan Carter are on thjer 2nd id 3rd home and brought a house to do up and sell and they much younger than the jarvises.
I don't know how old her husband is mine is older and longest term we would take was 24 so longer they leave it shorter the term the higher the monthly repayments .

Also does she really think this holiday abroad will happen in May im skeptical.

Reactions: 2
She has no idea!!! Listen to proper advisers with years of knowledge, not some random whos never even bought a house. First house I bought was small, we had no holidays, rarely went out, put everything into making it a home then sold and did it again. Did this a few times, waited to have a family, now have a nice house after downsizing ( big houses/gardens are not all they’re cracked up to be, they take looking after) mortgage free. Agree with the poster who said she seems to want to be further up the ladder than she can afford.

Agree on her missing the moment and being priced out, I also think the house prices will never really crash. She needs to get on the ladder now to get the best opportunity. Their income is not really going to grow that much, but the houses prices will, so each day that passes the houses are become more and more out of their reach. They also won't qualify for 4.8-5.5 mortgage multiplier (I don't think, if they could qualify they would already be on the property ladder), so the amount they can borrow is not huge for South East.

We looked into BTL and it wasn't really that profitable even before the pandemic. You would need 25% deposit, be taxed on profits made from rent and never know who will be living in your property. I have heard to many horror stories of properties getting destroyed even after the tenants passed all checks with flying colours. And now with the pandemic there's a ban on evictions, you can serve 6 month notice, but the tenants could stop paying rent and you are only able to go to court to evict them if they are in arrears for 6 months or more. It's too risky IMHO.
Yes, true that it wouldn't be profitable, breaking even and building equity would be their best hope, but 25% deposit is maybe steeper than they could afford.

Wow, so her latest "declutter" I have too much stuff so am just gonna hide these candles behind other stuff.
The unit in the kitchen she doesnt need at all, put the Christmas stuff with the decorations in the loft and get rid of that ugly veg trolley. Its really lazy decluttering and organising, just moving stuff from one place to another, and hiding stuff

Wow, so her latest "declutter" I have too much stuff so am just gonna hide these candles behind other stuff.
The unit in the kitchen she doesnt need at all, put the Christmas stuff with the decorations in the loft and get rid of that ugly veg trolley. Its really lazy decluttering and organising, just moving stuff from one place to another, and hiding stuff
Im half way through the video but how minging is her house?! Vegetables not in the kitchen next to all sorts of other sh!t?! I swear she sets these videos up as surely she would have decluttered that tiny house by now!!

Not if ur not actually getting rid of stuff. I think she got rid of about 30 items when actually she could have got rid of a whole lot more. What's weird is the welsh dragon lego she got rid of is actually something Id keep, it was made by family and could easily sit on a shelf, seems the asthetic of minimalism is more important to her, shes rather have a unit full of useless fake plants and books that just sit there than something that actually means something.

I saw that thumbnail and 'minimalist' in the title of the video and just laughed. Wasn't even tempted to watch. Her house is :sick:

Reactions: 3
I unsubscribed from Laura ages ago now. I found her patronising with her money saving and house buying vlogs, she didn't do a proper no buy year as she had a holiday gifted in the first year!

I always thought though she was selfish shipping her kids into one bedroom to make an office. The room they share isn't massive and I think they should have had a room each, especially as they must be 6 and 8 now, possibly nearing 7 and 9.

I unsubscribed from Laura ages ago now. I found her patronising with her money saving and house buying vlogs, she didn't do a proper no buy year as she had a holiday gifted in the first year!

I always thought though she was selfish shipping her kids into one bedroom to make an office. The room they share isn't massive and I think they should have had a room each, especially as they must be 6 and 8 now, possibly nearing 7 and 9.
Why on earth does she need an office?!
I get she "works from home" but her bedroom is big enough for a desk and she has that bit in the kitchen with a table.

I bought a house a few years ago. £30k deposit, Help to Buy. Got a 300k house in a dodgy area. Moved in in a day across the city to avoid any overlap in rent and mortgage. Within 6 months, the house next door sold for 50k more than we bought for. A year later, the house the other side went for 80k more. We fully accept that we MIGHT lose some equity or not make as much on it right now, but we maxed ourselves out here knowing the housing market will only increase and if we didn't buy when we did, we'd only find it harder. Now, we're pretty certain we can wait a few years, maybe even 10, and sell this place for alot more than we bought, then downsize to a nicer area for my daughter to start high school in a better place. Surely she has the deposit for A house, she just wants a very particular house she thinks she deserves and she seems to be just making up things now to make herself feel better.

Reactions: 6
I agree with others it bothers me she gives false info / uses the wrong terms when talking about finance stuff. There's a reason you have to be qualified to give financial advice. Fair enough talk about the lifestyle side of moving etc, but it's insulting to proper personal finance experts and journalists to be blagging it on the serious stuff.

Reactions: 4
I agree with others it bothers me she gives false info / uses the wrong terms when talking about finance stuff. There's a reason you have to be qualified to give financial advice. Fair enough talk about the lifestyle side of moving etc, but it's insulting to proper personal finance experts and journalists to be blagging it on the serious stuff.

The finance industry is highly regulated for the most part. It wouldn't even be THAT tricky for her to get some sort of qualifications or experience. You can do Open University modules in things like investing and money management. She's not got a job to go to, she could get some proper information and qualifications and actually talk about it, show herself putting things she's learnt in to practise and finally get that niche she's looking for. She could make actual programmes for people, lots of influencers make their money from selling courses. I feel like she got in to youtube thinking it was easy money and doesn't actually want to put effort in like the really successful influencers.