Kylie Flavell #4 Purloining the Patreon Purse

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
off topic question, but as she probably is reading here, what content would we want her to post? As I can't travel, I would like travel content, I don't want to see that house/kayak, even just filming food in italian restaurants so I can live vicariously. anyone else?
I would like to see beautiful italian buildings etc but ,really, what could she add to it, if she films anything it just ends up as her in focus adding boring commentary. Her parents must be travelling around surely, why has she not made the most of this?
It would be disingenuous for me to respond to this question with future content ideas as I do not want, in any way, to encourage her to continue along the youtuber, influencer, patreon scammer path. From the outset I found her narcissism unbearable but she was living in Rome at the time and that backdrop appealed to me. I'm not quite sure why I would continue to check in on her every now and again, some kind of morbid curiosity I guess, but in doing so I found this forum, yay, and have enjoyed being a part of the exposé.
So I vote for no future content from KF.

Stop focusing on herself and put the focus on the actual subject.
Don't reckon that's on the cards 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I don't want to see any content from Kylie. To be honest. She should recede into a life of being a member of the family she married in to. Life has its phases. Sometimes, you need to move on.

Once upon a time, I enjoyed her travel videos. Until I noticed everything that everyone else mentions here, and I cannot "un-see" any of it now.

For me, she is now unwatchable.
@FlyByeNight to be honest, I couldn’t agree more. Sadly it would mean we’d have nothing more to chat about here. I too find her unwatchable now.

It would be disingenuous for me to respond to this question with future content ideas as I do not want, in any way, to encourage her to continue along the youtuber, influencer, patreon scammer path. From the outset I found her narcissism unbearable but she was living in Rome at the time and that backdrop appealed to me. I'm not quite sure why I would continue to check in on her every now and again, some kind of morbid curiosity I guess, but in doing so I found this forum, yay, and have enjoyed being a part of the exposé.

@Rina Valtellina Again, I concur. I explained at length my state of mind and contributory factors to my temporary enjoyment of Kylie’s output. I now feel awkward about all of this because I don’t want to watch or critique her work. I enjoy the cultural off topic chat here, while feeling guilty that sometimes I’m responsible for digressing a lot which is not what we are here for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Kylie Flavell : Flogging a dead Horse ?

Sorry veggos

”No one cares Kylie “

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I don't want to see any content from Kylie. To be honest. She should recede into a life of being a member of the family she married in to. Life has its phases. Sometimes, you need to move on.

Once upon a time, I enjoyed her travel videos. Until I noticed everything that everyone else mentions here, and I cannot "un-see" any of it now.

For me, she is now unwatchable.
I’m afraid this is very true @FlyByeNight, once seen and heard it is hard to forget the fakery and pretension...

@Rina Valtellina Kylie’s narcissism and exhibitionism will ruin any subject she tackles as she is seemingly not really interested or passionate about anything except herself...and each subject is always refracted through the lense of her own self-obsession so it becomes extremely boring to watch different vlogs but always the same show-boating and posturing🤦🏼‍♂️

Reactions: 7
🤣 That’s how it feels to me @nostoneunturned she will probably be pregnant soon and will then appeal to a whole new demographic.
I can already imagine the "magical birth story" video, in which she bites her lip while pretending to be in labour with a background soundtrack of a series of films 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 3
@Antonio I would love to discuss this at some time. The film was first recommended to me by a colleague, an archaeologist who was head of HoA department at Princeton. I find the cinematography of Rome stunning, but the characters repugnant. My first trip to Rome was with the friends of the Barber Institute, a teaching museum on Birmingham University’s Campus. I recall one evening when a colleague took me to a curious restaurant Trattoria der Pallaro, and we walked around the city till the early hours of the morning, as we got locked out of our hotel near Roma Termini. My second was just six weeks after I had been widowed so I wasn’t in the best frame of mind. My friend Emanuella, who worked for the Italian Embassy in Qatar had been moved to Rome and she invited me to stay with her. She lived in the suburbs. I don’t recall too much from that time other than I purchased a lovely pair of shoes from Giuseppe Zanotti near the Spanish Steps. 😊 Most memorable was a visit to the Villa d’Este and Hadrian’s Villa. Have you read Marguerite Yourcenar’s Memoirs of Hadrian? 💕
So soon after you were widowed would have cast a shadow of grief anywhere you travelled @PlinyinTorquay. It’s amazing you could even bring yourself to go to another country, that shows great strength of mind. I hope that experience hasn’t left a pall of bad memories for Rome and that next time you are really able to enjoy its many splendours💫

Yes one of my professors at university loved Marguerite Yourcenar‘s ”Memories of Hadrian“ and encouraged me to read it, which I did, and enjoyed it very much. And you have inspired me to reread it 😊 Villa d’Este and it’s gardens are a Renaissance marvel, a spring day amid those fountains is always a welcome relief from the city. Villa Adriana is an eery place, left to quiet contemplation among the ruins and often quite deserted. I won’t even talk about the public funds that have disappeared that were meant for its care, just like at Pompeii.

There is nothing like walking around Rome in the early hours of the morning on a hot summer night...The Grande Bellezza captures the seductiveness of Roma and it’s decadence and darkness and how she can be a dangerous siren. That extraordinary-looking saint was quite moving and the vision of the flamingoes...

Last edited:
  • Heart
So soon after you were widowed would have cast a shadow of grief anywhere you travelled @PlinyinTorquay. It’s amazing you could even bring yourself to go to another country, that shows great strength of mind. I hope that experience hasn’t left a pall of bad memories for Rome and that next time you are really able to enjoy its many splendours💫

Yes one of my professors at university loved Marguerite Yourcenar‘s ”Memories of Hadrian“ and encouraged me to read it, which I did, and enjoyed it very much. And you have inspired me to reread it 😊 Villa d’Este and it’s gardens are a Renaissance marvel, a spring day amid those fountains is always a welcome relief from the city. Villa Adriana is an eery place, left to quiet contemplation among the ruins and often quite deserted. I won’t even talk about the public funds that have disappeared that were meant for its care, just like at Pompeii.

There is nothing like walking around Rome in the early hours of the morning on a hot summer night...The Grande Bellezza captures the seductiveness of Roma and it’s decadence and darkness and how she can be a dangerous siren. That extraordinary-looking saint was quite moving and the vision of the flamingoes...

Thank you @Antonio for that piece from La Grande Bellezza, it reminds me that it is a beautiful movie in many ways. The Yourcenar is on my coffee table at the moment, together with Roberto Calasso's Tiepolo Pink and Ma Vie a Paris, a book of bonnes addresses by Astier de Villatte which makes the most ethereally beautiful ceramics. I always visit the boutique in the rue St Honore when I'm in Paris.

I don't think that my visit to Rome put me off, I was just utterly exhausted. I may reread the Yourcenar too. In any case, I found this rather wonderful review of the book on-line:

This book is the fruit of one of the most ambitious literary projects I have ever seen. At the age of twenty, Marguerite Yourcenar conceived the idea of writing the life of the Emperor Hadrian. She spent five years on the task, then destroyed the manuscript and all her notes. Over the next decade and a half, she returned to the idea several times, and each time admitted defeat. Finally, in her early 40s, she arrived at a method she could believe in, which she describes as "half history, half magic": she spent several years systematically transforming herself into a vessel for the long-dead Emperor's spirit. She read every book still in existence that mentioned him or that he might have read. She visited the places he had visited, and touched the statues he had touched. Every night, she tried to imagine that she was Hadrian, and spent hours writing minutely detailed accounts of what he might have seen and felt. She was acutely aware of all the pitfalls involved, and used her considerable skills to efface herself from the process; "she did not want to breathe on the mirror". She compiled tens of thousands of pages of notes and rough drafts, nearly all of which she burned.

The final result, the memoirs Hadrian might have composed on his deathbed but never did, represents the distilled essence of this process, and it is unique in my experience. The language is a beautiful and highly stylised French that feels very much like Latin; the cadences are those of Latin, and every word she uses is originally derived from Latin or Greek. (This effect must be hard to imitate in translation to a non-Romance language). The world-view is, throughout, that of the second century A.D. The illusion that Hadrian is speaking to you directly is extraordinarily compelling.

Hadrian emerges as a great man. With Trajan's conquest of Mesopotamia just before his accession to the throne, the Empire had reached its peak; indeed, it was now clearly over-extended and threatened with collapse. Hadrian's difficult task was to stabilise it to the extent possible and maintain the increasingly uneasy peace, and he succeeded well enough that it survived for several hundred more years after his death. He describes his work with measured passion, neither boasting of his successes nor despairing of his occasional dreadful failures; the Second Jewish War occurred near the end of his reign, resulting in the obliteration of Judea and the dispersal of the entire Jewish race.

He is candid about his private life, and Yourcenar's description of his tragic liaison with Antinoüs is probably the most impressive achievement of the book. Hadrian, who like most of his class was promiscuously bisexual, takes as his lover a fourteen year old boy. The relationship, like everything else in the book, is presented entirely within the context of Hadrian's own culture, and I was able to accept it as such. It's extremely moving; even if you are the absolute ruler of the known world, you are as defenceless against love as everyone else. When Antinoüs kills himself shortly before his twentieth birthday, Hadrian realises too late that he is the love of his life. His Stoic philosophy and his strong sense of duty keep him functioning, but from then on he only longs to be released.

It is fortunate that, every now and then, the world acquires for a brief moment a man like Hadrian or a woman like Yourcenar. Read this book and you will feel inspired to be a better person.

• Heart

Lol about the exposè; it really is fun!😅

I doubt Kylie will stop filming anytime soon. She earns way too much with such little output to quit. (Not even a Ferragosto post, I notice).
Guido likely earns a decent salary but seems to be waiting out a bit of inheritance as it seems selling off land on his own isn't in the cards. Her cash and husting brands seems to afford them a pretty nice life for the moment. If she does get pregnant being a Family vlogger will probably double her numbers. I have no idea why they are so popular, but I guess they appeal to many.

I’m in love with fountains ⛲ I was mesmerised by them .
Very, very different to the Roman fountains, @nostoneunturned, but have you seen the remarkable fountains at Versailles? I especially love Mansart’s fountain of the flight of the animals. 💕 They’re all amazing .🥰 If you’re a fountain-lover you need to see them! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
HOWEVER ...

on the subject of Rosalba Carriera. We had a beautiful painting by Rosalba in my last museum which I will share with you ... It's a very fine pastel portrait of Gustavus Hamilton, Lord Boyne. https://barber.org.uk/rosalba-carriera-1675-1757/. @Alessandro , I imagine your 'rakish' character, on your profile picture, would look something like this if he were going to Carnevale in Venice 💕

more to follow ...

@Antonio I am very interested in Rosalba, especially in terms of my ideas on last works of aging artists. There is this very poignant last self portrait of Rosalba in the Accademia, Venice, which she is said to have made after she had a painful procedure for cataracts and before she went blind. I've been exploring it in a paper called "Darkness in the Age of the Enlightenment." When I presented this paper, someone in the audience fainted.

https://www.gallerieaccademia.it/en/self-portrait

Darkness in the Age of the Enlightenment: Rosalba Carriera and Cataract Surgery in 18-C Venice

There is a poignant and defiant self-portrait by the Venetian miniaturist and portraitist Rosalba Carriera (1675-1757), now in the Gallerie dell’Accademia, Venice. Traditionally it is held to have been made after she had temporarily recovered her eyesight following the removal of cataracts. This paper analyses Rosalba’s final self-representation and interrogates it in a number of ways: using the portrait as visual evidence to appreciate how it related to issues of Rosalba’s subjectivity and self-perception in the face of excruciating surgery which eventually resulted in blindness; understanding the artist’s disability in terms of the painful medical treatment which would have been available to her at the time, and in the light of the notes of the surgeon who operated on her on two separate occasions in 1749; through the examination of an eighteenth-century engraving depicting cataract surgery, and by considering cognate examples of contemporaries who underwent similar procedures, for example the composer George Frideric Handel and contextualizing blindness in eighteenth-century historical, philosophical and ideological frameworks.

@Antonio, St Ivo is one of my favourite churches in Rome. :)

[
Aaaah yes my rakish character would definitely wear this during Carnevale @PlinyinTorquay and I have worn 18th century dress to balls in Venice and felt perfectly at home🙈

Thank-you to all who asked for me to come up with a new alliterative title, I will do my best😉

@emm for the new title if you think we need to include Patreon, what about:

Kylie Flavell: Plundering Patreons with Vapidly Vacuous Vlogs

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
There is nothing like walking around Rome in the early hours of the morning on a hot summer night... I know what you mean, @Antonio. Is it humid in Rome at the moment? It’s certainly steamy in Qatar, and I cannot wait until October when the weather becomes more clement. One of the things I miss most about England and Europe is the changing of the seasons.

I am more of a lark than an owl and love observing cities in the morning as they wake up. When I’m in Venice, I often rise just before dawn and step out to see the city transform with the light. At first, it can be very eerie especially walking over the bridges in the mainly deserted city with the noises of the moored boats and gondolas. I remember movies like Don’t Look Now (Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland) and hope I don’t run into a homicidal maniac serial-killer dwarf emerging from the mist. Sometimes the possibility seems very real in Venice in the dark. A few years ago, I stayed in Lisbon in an apartment with a fabulous roof garden. It was my morning meditation to sit up there with a cup of tea and watch the planes queuing to land at Lisbon airport like fireflies in the sky and becoming invisible as dawn broke, with the statue of Cristo Rei becoming more defined in Almada in the background. More early mornings - the opening to Breakfast at Tiffany’s is also a favourite when Audrey Hepburn alights from a yellow taxi in that amazing Givenchy dress with the pearls, after a hard night partying, and gazes into the window of Tiffany’s with coffee in a paper cup eating a pastry from a paper bag.

I’m attaching a contribution I made on the Marais to a Guide Book of Paris. It’s called 30-second Paris, and the remit was to write something informative that a tourist/visitor can read in approx 30 seconds (like a soundbite only with words). As a curator, I often have to do this as the standard museum label for interpretation is around 80 words. Concision can be challenging. Do contributors to this thread prefer minimal labelling in museums? So the essential information, artist’s name, dates, and technical info, leaving you as a viewer to interact with the art. Do Tattle contributors to this thread like curatorial information/interpretation, or is it a distraction to you?

In the hope that I might get to Venice in October I've been looking at this fascinating place. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/124828..._impression_id=p3_1629178723_IGxjcXpbOsehs141

Aaaah yes my rakish character would definitely wear this during Carnevale @PlinyinTorquay and I have worn 18th century dress to balls in Venice and felt perfectly at home🙈

Thank-you to all who asked for me to come up with a new alliterative title, I will do my best😉

@Alessandro. .... welcome back! I've missed you.

Nice! 😊

Spontaneous trip to Florence today, no sightings;

View attachment 716106
did you treat yourself to a coffee @Jerry?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
There is nothing like walking around Rome in the early hours of the morning on a hot summer night... I know what you mean, @Antonio. Is it humid in Rome at the moment? It’s certainly steamy in Qatar, and I cannot wait until October when the weather becomes more clement. One of the things I miss most about England and Europe is the changing of the seasons.

I am more of a lark than an owl and love observing cities in the morning as they wake up. When I’m in Venice, I often rise just before dawn and step out to see the city transform with the light. At first, it can be very eerie especially walking over the bridges in the mainly deserted city with the noises of the moored boats and gondolas. I remember movies like Don’t Look Now (Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland) and hope I don’t run into a homicidal maniac serial-killer dwarf emerging from the mist. Sometimes the possibility seems very real in Venice in the dark. A few years ago, I stayed in Lisbon in an apartment with a fabulous roof garden. It was my morning meditation to sit up there with a cup of tea and watch the planes queuing to land at Lisbon airport like fireflies in the sky and becoming invisible as dawn broke, with the statue of Cristo Rei becoming more defined in Almada in the background. More early mornings - the opening to Breakfast at Tiffany’s is also a favourite when Audrey Hepburn alights from a yellow taxi in that amazing Givenchy dress with the pearls, after a hard night partying, and gazes into the window of Tiffany’s with coffee in a paper cup eating a pastry from a paper bag.

I’m attaching a contribution I made on the Marais to a Guide Book of Paris. It’s called 30-second Paris, and the remit was to write something informative that a tourist/visitor can read in approx 30 seconds (like a soundbite only with words). As a curator, I often have to do this as the standard museum label for interpretation is around 80 words. Concision can be challenging. Do contributors to this thread prefer minimal labelling in museums? So the essential information, artist’s name, dates, and technical info, leaving you as a viewer to interact with the art. Do Tattle contributors to this thread like curatorial information/interpretation, or is it a distraction to you?

In the hope that I might get to Venice in October I've been looking at this fascinating place. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/124828..._impression_id=p3_1629178723_IGxjcXpbOsehs141

@Alessandro. .... welcome back! I've missed you.

Nice! 😊
"The area escaped 'Haussmannization' in the nineteenth century but was, by the first half of the twentieth century, so squalid, overpopulated and unfashionable that it faced total demolition. It was saved by the French Minister of Culture, André Malraux, in the early 1960s and, in 1965, became Paris’s first conservation area. " I had no idea Place des Vosges has been so at risk. Superb write-up of the Marais @PlinyinTorquay, congratulations. Your piece captured everything one needs to know and it is harder to write more concisely about such subjects than to write long.

Great description of waking up early morning in Venice, although I have to say I am more of an owl than a fowl. Audrey Hepburn coming home rather than getting up at that early hour is more my style. Love Breakfast at Tiffany's except for George Peppard, who needs to be far more charismatic than he is for that role.

The apartment in Venice looks interesting and Cannaregio is a fantastic spot to be located in the city.

Re Labelling in museums: I like to dash about about in museums to pieces I am interested in. But if I don't know much about the work I do appreciate having more curatorial information. You can always ignore it, so I say: "More is better" than "Less is More"....

• Heart
I have to say I am more of an owl than a fowl. Audrey Hepburn coming home rather than getting up at that early hour is more my style.
For some reason I do my best writing/thinking in the morning. That and when I’m under deadline pressure which isn’t nice but it focuses my mind …. Which (my mind) is sometimes like herding cats. 🐈

I actually don’t sleep very much

p.s. totally concur re. George Peppard

Reactions: 1
For some reason I do my best writing/thinking in the morning. That and when I’m under deadline pressure which isn’t nice but it focuses my mind …. Which (my mind) is sometimes like herding cats. 🐈

I actually don’t sleep very much

p.s. totally concur re. George Peppard
No, nor do I....

Reactions: 1
I have worn 18th century dress to balls in Venice and felt perfectly at home🙈
How wonderful, @Alessandro, to have attended a real ball in Venice and worn 18th-century costume. Sadly, I have never had such an experience. I so badly wanted to try 18th-century dress that I once did something dishonest. There's a beautiful costume shop, Atelier Pietro Longhi, near the Frari http://www.pietrolonghi.com/. And I pretended that I was attending a ball so that I could try on a costume. I felt guilty as it was labour-intensive for the shop assistants. Who laced me tightly into this corset so that I could hardly breathe. I now know why these 18th-century ladies had an attack of the vapours. They put me into an amazing brocade dress with a kind of frame around it so the dress stood out. Very decollete. Wonderful shoes and a grey powdered wig. It was just a fantastic experience. I wish I could do it more often. You must have had so much fun. Lucky you! 😊

Reactions: 2
did you treat yourself to a coffee @Jerry?
We sat down outside, but it was so hot(and the sandwiches looked so stale) we left to go around the corner and was pleased to find a yogurt pie, with pistacchio, last piece;

1629183598761.jpeg

I thought you might be interested in the “fishes”, although I don’t know if you are actually in the fish trade or just use it as a cover for your academia !

1629183729064.jpeg

For dinner, went with my “go to” choice of spaghetti carbonara;

1629184414420.jpeg

Not complete with at least one requisite photo of Il Duomo;

1629185353924.jpeg

• Heart
don’t know if you are actually in the fish trade or just use it as a cover for your academia !
Lol ... spot on, @Jerry though thank you for the photograph of the marzipan fishes. :). I am not in the fish trade, but it is a very thinly-disguised cover as I've shared some articles and things so people could easily figure out my real name and identity if they wanted to. I am Sophie and my specialist area is eighteenth-century Venetian art. I am a museum professional though, not an academic. Curators' positions often require a doctorate these days however. One of my academic associates goes under the name of A_Bridge_of Sighs. In other fora I am Tiepolo1. and Cherry O'Neill (Chairman and CEO of Rottweiller Consumer Complaints 🤣 don't ask). I'd like to write a novel one day so I enjoy playing with characters, being a historian, I tend to deal in facts and sadly don't think I have the imagination to write a publishable novel and I'm not interested in self-publishing or vanity publishing.

Lovely to see the Duomo too. Did you climb up to the top? Something I've always wanted to do but have usually found myself in Firenze when it's too hot to do so.

To those who have known and met Kylie in real life ... would you say she has a good sense of humour? My instinct is, possibly not, as she seems to take herself rather too seriously. Maybe the toilet brush vlog shows humour of sorts!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6