Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Debzz9

Been on keto since Monday and lost 3.6kg so happy with that! Going to try make a keto Chinese takeaway tonight, wish me luck 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Tuesdaysdoll14

Hello, I was wondering if anyone was still here. I’ve just started low carb to manage my PCOS symptoms as they’re deliberating at the moment

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Longtime lurker here 🙋🏻‍♀️

So I’ve maintained so far during lockdown, I’m a stone down. But this last week I’ve gone crazy. My sugar addiction is out of hand and need to make some changes. I turn 30 in less than two weeks and I was going to wait but I think I might start now.

I’m kicking myself because I could be 2 stone down during this lockdown 😣 Where did everyone start!? I don’t eat fish and I’m not a big meat eater.

Mememememe

Hi everyone. I've flirted with the idea of keto for a while and I think I'm going to take the plunge! I've lost weight beofr won a low carb diet so looking forward to it.
I've skipped to the end here so don't know if it's been mentioned but I've found a blogger on youtube called nicole burgess, I've been watching her for a bit she has recipes and has detailed her keto journey with weekly vlogs, might be helpful for. Some. Inspo x

Debzz9

i follow someone called Keto Recipes on TikTok, I like some of the recipes.

I feel so much better and I look it too, but the scales are shifting so slowly. Any thoughts?
I've started taking measurements because even though I only lost 2 pounds this week, the difference in overall inches lost was 9.5", so try not focus on the scales too much

KfBr

VIP Member
Wow this thread is really interesting. These last few years I’m finding it super hard to shift excess pounds - like literally impossible, even with super low calories and increase in exercise. But I have a very sweet tooth - to the point I’d rather have a chocolate bar and vitamin tablet than a proper dinner - and have always suspected my heavy irregular periods, tummy fat, and inability to lose weight have been connected to eating too many refined carbs. I might give keto a go...
Honestly it’s so good!! I have a really sweet tooth too but when I do Keto, it seems to disappear! Keto is really good for kicking bad habits.
Fasting aswell as Keto gives it an extra boost too. You don’t necessary need to exercise with it either but it’s obviously does help. Reasearch says that if you follow Keto and exercise before eating, this will boost fat burning too!
By fasting I mean don’t eat from 7pm then eat the next afternoon. Only have a 6-7 eating window per day.
I always feel more energetic, sleep better and less hungry doing the Keto!

truffletrot

VIP Member
Get the free samples! 2.99 for delivery, I wanted to order from amazon but didn’t know which flavour, they give you cheddar, Emmental and Gouda

Apologies if you’ve already done this but it’s a good offer for others too
Thanks for sharing that link!

I woke up this morning and I’ve lost 1.6 lbs!!

• Heart

delightfullyfuked.

Chatty Member
Thanks. That’s amazing. Do you count calories? Weekends are my downfall, alcohol and then the carbs start creeping in!
I count nothing and never have! The apps are not accurate. I just eat a tonne of protein, butter, full fat cheese/cream and I cook everything in butter/lard/dripping.

it’s hard in the spring/summer. Rose in the garden and bbqs… just stick to the meat and salad. Good luck!

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
Well done on the weight losses!

I’m going to join in here if that’s ok; I started this (again) recently. What amazes me about Keto is how much it reduces your appetite. I get ‘normal’ hungry, not craving for crap. It really resets something in my brain and body.

I’ve tried other methods of fatloss and although keto is hard for the first few days, it’s the only way of eating that really works for me. It’s just that when I fall off the wagon, I seem to forget that!

I’m about 2.5 weeks back in and I’m not weighing but just going by how I look and feel. Much happier so far!
That is the best way to do it. often people become discouraged by the scales even though they are literally dropping dress sizes. The best way is to either just go by how you start to look, and how your clothes fit or measure yourself once a week or month and throw the scales in the bin if you are the type to be obsessed with lbs rather than inches.

For me it's how I feel mentally and physically how my mind becomes clearer no fatigue my joints stop hurting, I feel motivated. never hungry

The trouble is if you get kicked out of ketosis , or don't carry snacks and suddenly hunger grabs you the cravings come back, then once you fall its hard to re-start also you get overconfident because you feel so good you believe oh a few chips won't hurt. Then you are in the grip of carb cravings and it all crashes and you have to start again, it's not as easy as restarting other WOEs there are consequences as it takes a while to get back into ketosis

• Heart

Debzz9

I'm starting back on keto again. I lost 2stone back in 2019 and it helped me get pregnant. I find it so easy once into it but the last 2.5years with wfh and maternity leave and breastfeeding I have struggled to lose the weight and stick to keto. But determined to start again now..i have about 40lbs to lose so combining keto with 20000 steps a day 🤞

Reactions: 3

Cao97x

Chatty Member
I ordered cakes from Deliciously Guilt Free and admittedly they are nice but they're a bit too sweet and overly expensive for what you get.

I'm stuck in a total rut at the moment with Keto. Been on it 5 weeks now and all I've lost is 4lbs. I keep seeing things online that says it can take up to 6 weeks for your body to adjust and for the weight loss to start but it is really irritating how little weight I've lost. Need to stick at it I guess.
Take photos and measurements is all I ever recommend to people. I have two photos of myself with only 6lb difference and it’s like I dropped 2 dress sizes. Clothes that I couldn’t zip up were going on with ease and becoming slightly baggy. The scales don’t tell you everything! Also keto has so many health benefits that if I had a slow few weeks with no inches or lbs lost, I’d just take that as keto fixing stuff on the inside that I don’t know about

plattyjoobs

VIP Member
Ohhhh gone off the rails🫣 Easter, birthdays… any lame excuse- Another family do tomorrow then back to the grindstone- out of interest have any of you signed up to the manyyyy apps available? I know they sound good but cost money … I know I’ve done it myself before - just curious - what was helpful
I signed up to the free trial of Diet Doctor and forgot to cancel it, so now I have that for a year 🤦🏻‍♀️. Used to use it every day for recipes while I was getting used to it, now I hardly check it.

Gullri

VIP Member
I have gin and tonic most nights. My tonic is carb free as is the gin.
Sounds great! I ll buy gin and is Schweppes free of carbs?
I think a drink instead of lots of chocolate could help me relax in the evening.

Cloak

VIP Member
If you’re questioning lower fat versions of food its perpetuating the myth that calorie counting is still the only way to lose weight. On keto that’s simply not the case and it’s much healthier for your mindset to drop the traditional diet culture mantra and relax about it. 😊
I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree. Keto isn't about guzzling cream and cheese and forgetting all about calories. The science of calories doesn't magically disappear. It's about eating healthy fats that are more satiating, which makes it much easier to feel full and not overeat. I agree that it's less restrictive than other diets and not to worry too much, but as long as I'm under 20g carbs each day, I'd much rather stay under my fat and calories than exceed it for the sake of it.

*Edit* Sorry I just read that back and it sounded rude, which it wasn't meant to be! I think I'm just trying to express the idea that for a .1 of a carb difference, I'm not sure that 100 extra cals is worth it! Given that we still need to burn energy off, may as well have 100 less cals in the system for the same effect.

Last edited:

megsmagoo

VIP Member
I must say that when I do Keto I lose weight really well, and I struggle BIG time losing weight, but I can’t seem to maintain it for more than about 2 weeks. I mostly miss filling up on vegetables. Reading this thread has wetted my appetite to try again 🐠 🥩

Just a thought, please don’t shout 😆 but I wonder if you ate anything you wanted but kept to under 20g carbs, would that still work ?
Technically yes I have done 🤷🏻‍♀️ But then you wouldn’t be getting the full benefit! If it fits your macros is a following in its own right lol

Honestly thinking of starting keto again cause all this talk of halloumi and chorizo salad sounds yum 🤤
Honestly it’s bloody great, go for it 😂

Help please lovilies! I’m starting next week so getting my shit together (kind of!). I cook for my non-keto family every day so I really don’t want to be ‘cooking’ for myself too if I can help it, and I think I’m more likely to stick to it if I have quick and easy grab kind of meals. I’m the kind of person that if I like something I’m genuinely quite happy to eat it every day. So much rough plan is as follows:

Breakfast
Eggs, bacon, sausage (all three, or just one, depending on how I feel)
Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries (easy on the berries as I understand it?)

Lunches
Halloumi and chorizo salad
Deli mets, mozzarella, olives
Avocado and egg salad
Any combination of cheese and meat, with some cherry tomatoes and cucumber

Dinners
Meat (chicken thighs, pork/lamb chops, salmon) and veg (spinach, broccoli, green beans, brussels, mushrooms)- I’ll throw some cheese and Mayo on it where I can so it’s not too dry.

Desserts
Huge pot of double cream and lots of raspberries/strawberries

Snacks
Have bought some cheesies off Amazon
Pepperami
Babybels

Drinks

Tea with a dash of skimmed milk
Asda flavoured sparkling water (actually does that have carbs 🤷‍♀️)

Questions

1. I LOVE condiments and I understand that full fat Real mayonnaise is fine, but struggling to understand what else I can have. Our local butcher sells those skinny sauces so might try them, although feedback isn’t always great. Can anyone recommend a decent BBQ sauce or a dressing for salads (blue cheese?)

2. I‘m looking to avoid apps, weighing stuff, having to ‘track’ as I have a busy enough life as it is (work, kids etc.) and that really puts me off tbh. I get the impression that I DO really need to track carbs though? What do you think?

3. Talk to me about electrolytes and ketosis sticks!

4. Sweet stuff. I have such a sweet tooth but hoping that will fade as I get into it. I daren’t buy dark chocolate as I’ll eat it! I’m a terrible snacker, but if I can graze of babybels and meats that sounds bloody ideal, but then the logical part of my brain is like ‘ Yeah but you can’t just eat a shit load of babybels and pepperami and lose weight?’- which I suppose is where the tracking comes in- so I guess my question is how much does portion control matter with this?!

Oh and I’ve got some avocado oil and butter to cook with......
Look for low sugar condiments, the low sugar Heinz tomato sauce is good, I like the bbq low sugar one too with ranch sauce for my salads!

I’ve totally gone off tracking tbh just because it’s tedious for me but I know the rough amounts of what I’m eating so you might want to start off. Tbh you can’t go far wrong with meat fat and veg

I don’t know much about electrolytes and Keto sticks as I haven’t really bothered. The book I’ve got said if you season your food well and you stay under 20g you shouldn’t need to worry about it

I’ve had a square of dark chocolate a day but it’ll cost ya lol, tbh might just stop buying it. Sweet things are a binge trigger for me so I’m better off avoiding anyway

Kofi Annan

Its so hard to get your head around the fact that heavy cream, cheese, full fat, fatty meats etc are really good and low fat is a definite no go. I can still enjoy alcohol but mainly gin and slim, no beer, prosecco etc. I used an app called carb manager. I also upgraded to the paid version and found some really good recipes!!
I use carb manager and it is a fantastic app!!
Lots of people think it's very unhealthy to eat in the keto way, however it is shown to reduce cholesterol, stabilise diabetes and is recommended to epilepsy patients. They can't all be wrong.

theghosttown

VIP Member
I'm so glad I came across this thread. I have been minimising my carbs for 2 weeks now in preparation for the full thing next week.
I love fruit, so cutting that would probably be the hardest part for me, and chocolate (I dont like dark chocolate)

I have endometriosis and theres a lot of things about cutting out meats and fats etc due to hormones and it potentially making the endo grow. I've got nothing to lose from trying it as I'm working from home anyway!

What do you set yourself as a daily carb intake?
I'm following people on instagram who do different things, not sure what a good staring limit is.

Thank you!!
Honestly I know you say you don’t like dark chocolate but you’ll end up hooked. I smear natural peanut butter onto two slices as a treat and it’s unreal. Someone on this thread suggested it. It’s amazing. You can still enjoy say, strawberries and thick cream as a treat. Just watch the carbs in the strawbs.

I don’t do keto but I do low carb and if I focus I stick around 30g carbs. I recommend downloading carb manager, it really helps as you can get a feel for your macros. Some people stick to 20g or even lower z

• Heart

Cao97x

Chatty Member
When I did keto, I found it easier to cut out all bread/wraps/rolls etc than to try the “healthier” versions. Once you get used to not having them, things get much easier. By trying to find alternatives you’re just increasing the likelihood of you going back to eating carbs because they are never the same (I now eat carbs but that wasn’t because I couldn’t stick to keto because of the food I was eating, other circumstances have stopped me from being able to it for now). Clean keto is the most effective way of getting every benefit of keto there is!