Jeremy Kyle Death on Daytime (Channel 4 Documentary)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This two-part documentary is hearing on Sunday and Monday nights. It’s a look behind the scenes at the exploitative and outrageous practices of The Jeremy Kyle Show.

I look back with a great sense of guilt that I ever “enjoyed“ The Jeremy Kyle Show. I hope we seen nothing like it in the British media landscape again.

Worth noting that Jeremy is now represented by Fat Claire of “Katie and Peter” fame.

Reactions: 26
I’ll definitely check this out. I never got why they took the lie detectors as gospel, was absolutely ridiculous.

I confess I ‘enjoyed’ it at first in a guilty kind of way but as the years went on, Jeremy Kyle just got more and more vile screaming at people and thinking he was some kind of god 😐

Reactions: 31
I’ll definitely check this out. I never got why they took the lie detectors as gospel, was absolutely ridiculous.
Me either. I also never got why the families didn’t just sit there in complete silence as soon as they got the results. Heck, they probably could’ve walked onto the stage and sat there in complete silence from the get go and the production team still would’ve been legally obligated to share the lie detector/DNA results with them.

Unfortunately, it seems as if the guests were either not educated enough on data protection law or were hideously misled about what would or wouldn’t happen if they didn’t “act up“ on the show.

Reactions: 13
How shocking they lied saying there were 3 families fighting for 1 rehab bed to get more emotion out of them.

I feel sick that I ever enjoyed this. Madness to think it would probably still be on had that poor man not taken his life

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Why are they blaming JK, surely the backroom staff, producers, scriptwriters, ITV even have to take responsibility for putting these people on the screen. He was the frontman and yes, his arrogant attitude was probably wrong but it got the viewing figures which drew in the advertisers. Same as XF and BGT, ITV couldn't give a tit about the contestants, its a money making product and that's what JK was, middle-class people on a days holiday sitting open mouthed watching people who came on TV in leggings and cheap trainers airing their dirty linen whilst laughing at them... I know I did on the odd occasion I watched it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Unpopular opinion but duck it-

All of these people chose to go on Jeremy Kyle and a lot of what Jeremy Kyle said wasn't wrong. Yes he was cuntish at times like in that footage where he looks the woman up and down with disgust but a lot of the people coming on the show chose to go on and were scummy people also. Of all the people up in arms about JK, I bet many used to laugh about the show and the people who went on it and as usual are now singing a different tune. Addicts who stole abused and ruined their loved ones around them's lives, fathers who had children and didn't bother or pay with them, mothers who cared more about men than their own children (I was a product of a mother who cared about men more than me and my siblings). We are in quite a woke world now where we can't judge the people who go on because poor them, they're working class and it's wrong but we haven't got the side of Jeremy Kyle and guests who got help from the show. Not to mention the scummy people who went on who were abusive to Jeremy and his team and who trashed the hotel room and turned down the help, rehab etc. I hated the news report part of the documentary showing the kids running rampant on the streets in the 90's with Tony Blair's speech and the man claiming it as exploiting mothers and working class. I am working class and a single mother and I like to think I've brought up my children with respect and not causing a nuisance and being general scum. There's too many excuses these days and sorry but there's a cycle where on Jeremy Kyle mothers have children sitting on their backsides living on handouts not bothering to work by various dads, the scummy dads come and go without helping or being there and the lazy parenting and upbringing then affects the child to be a little runt who grows up to be an adult with no morals. I also was brought up by my mum as my parents split up even though she wasn't around much and more bothered about herself, no way would she allow me to behave the way most kids behave now and there would be good punishments if I did play up. We are making excuses for the upbringing of children when I know lots of people (myself included) who managed to do it right in a rough working class area, it's lazy crappy parenting.

Not saying that I agree with everything on the Jeremy Kyle that happened eg the lying about fighting to get a place in rehab, but the general way of how Jeremy spoke with the guests and the advice he was trying to give was not wrong and we have gone too soft.

At the end of the day you know you're going on a nationally famous show known for laughing at people and controversy, so you chose that risk when you go on. It's like me going on X Factor when I can't sing and getting people laughing at me in the audience and the street.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 56

All of these people chose to go on Jeremy Kyle and a lot of what Jeremy Kyle said wasn't wrong. Yes he was cuntish at times like in that footage where he looks the woman up and down with disgust but a lot of the people coming on the show chose to go on and were scummy people also. Of all the people up in arms about JK, I bet many used to laugh about the show and the people who went on it and as usual are now singing a different tune. Addicts who stole abused and ruined their loved ones around them's lives, fathers who had children and didn't bother or pay with them, mothers who cared more about men than their own children (I was a product of a mother who cared about men more than me and my siblings). We are in quite a woke world now where we can't judge the people who go on because poor them, they're working class and it's wrong but we haven't got the side of Jeremy Kyle and guests who got help from the show. Not to mention the scummy people who went on who were abusive to Jeremy and his team and who trashed the hotel room and turned down the help, rehab etc. I hated the news report part of the documentary showing the kids running rampant on the streets in the 90's with Tony Blair's speech and the man claiming it as exploiting mothers and working class. I am working class and a single mother and I like to think I've brought up my children with respect and not causing a nuisance and being general scum. There's too many excuses these days and sorry but there's a cycle where on Jeremy Kyle mothers have children sitting on their backsides living on handouts not bothering to work by various dads, the scummy dads come and go without helping or being there and the lazy parenting and upbringing then affects the child to be a little runt who grows up to be an adult with no morals. I also was brought up by my mum as my parents split up even though she wasn't around much and more bothered about herself, no way would she allow me to behave the way most kids behave now and there would be good punishments if I did play up. We are making excuses for the upbringing of children when I know lots of people (myself included) who managed to do it right in a rough working class area, it's lazy crappy parenting.

Not saying that I agree with everything on the Jeremy Kyle that happened eg the lying about fighting to get a place in rehab, but the general way of how Jeremy spoke with the guests and the advice he was trying to give was not wrong and we have gone too soft.

At the end of the day you know you're going on a nationally famous show known for laughing at people and controversy, so you chose that risk when you go on. It's like me going on X Factor when I can't sing and getting people laughing at me in the audience and the street.
Exactly, I remember reading a story about a drug addict they helped by sending him to rehab, he'd stolen for years off his immediate family, was in a real state, looked like death warmed up. He came out a changed man, realised to kick the habit he had to remove himself from temptation so they found him a new place to live, kept in touch making sure he was OK. I imagine he's got a different story to tell about the show.

Reactions: 13

I think I'm somewhere in the middle to be honest.

Yes, they all knew what they were letting themselves in for, but it seems jk and the show definitely stirred the pot for entertainment sake.

Many would have been suffering from mental health issues and that's whete the line is drawn for me. I imagine that tests to prove mental wellness for the show were weak. Again thats more of a fault of itv production

Reactions: 23
My son used to say he thought the people on that show were actors because he couldn’t believe that people would go on national tv and air so much dirty laundry in public. But very much like people who went on X factor who couldn’t sing people are obsessed with being on the telly. And let’s face it most people on the show were not of very high intelligence. At the end of the day we are all responsible for our own lives and if you agreed to go on it that was your decision surely?

• Heart
Reactions: 12
What a shoddy documentary, And I say this as someone who's never sat through an entire episode of JK!

When you've got a grotesque Daily Mail journalist taking the moral high ground over the treatment of people on the show 🙄

Plus the awful hammy 'actors' being interviewed in an abandoned office?! Then the guy splashing his face with water to make it feel serious? Felt like I was watching a bad soap!

The whole thing was basically everybody involved pushing the blame solely onto Jeremy Kyle. Yes he's a vile man, but the crew all willingly played their part in the set up and happily took their nice pay cheques when the show was successful. And the guests, while obviously of low intellect, on the whole loved the attention and tbh was probably seen as a badge of honour for some.
I didn't know the show gave free Rehab ect. Even the first woman said the jk show rehab gave her daughter an extra 15 months of life!

I dunno, alot of hypocrisy in this and no doubt some lies presented as truths.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
How anyone can defend that is beyond me. Those people aren’t actors. Im ashamed of myself for ever enjoying watching the fall of already vulnerable people. Shame on Jeremy, and shame on all of those fame hungry employees behind the scenes for not speaking up. Let it be a blessing in disguise that poor man took his own life to stop any more people falling victim to such a horrible ending of what must already be a painful existence !

Reactions: 4
The show did do some good things but I think they were the to help itself and it's image as much as help guests. Also the 'do you need help with this issue' bits he did were disingenuous. I would argue, not unlike Love Island etc but obviously different motivations, a lot of people going on lacked the cognitive ability to understand the negative consequences of going on. Especially when the lie detector was held up as unequivocal on the show despite not being accepted as accurate by science.

From Wikipedia: Polygraphs measure arousal, which can be affected by anxiety, anxiety disorders such as PTSD, nervousness, fear, confusion, hypoglycemia, psychosis, depression, substance induced states (nicotine, stimulants), substance withdrawal state (alcohol withdrawal) or other emotions; polygraphs do not measure "lies". A polygraph cannot differentiate anxiety caused by dishonesty and anxiety caused by something else.

That would probably cover the majority of people desperate enough to go on national television to prove their innocence. That doesn't mean there weren't some absolute horrors who went on and revel in their behaviour, but lets not pretend they weren't pretending to help people. They even admitted fudging the mental health assessments.

Reactions: 6
How anyone can defend that is beyond me. Those people aren’t actors. Im ashamed of myself for ever enjoying watching the fall of already vulnerable people. Shame on Jeremy, and shame on all of those fame hungry employees behind the scenes for not speaking up. Let it be a blessing in disguise that poor man took his own life to stop any more people falling victim to such a horrible ending of what must already be a painful existence !

I don't think anyone is defining the JK show, it was awful. The way it was produced was gross, the way Jeremy spoke to the guests was gross, the way the guests were poked and prodded and harassed til they appeared was gross. But that doesn't mean there weren't people who went on for the "fame" nor does it make Jeremy solely responsible. I feel the main issue with the show last night was that it was all laid at his door when he was just one part of the whole
Production who all played a part.

In regards to actors - all the "show staff" on it last night were actors reading the lines of producers who didn't want to publicly admit fault.

Reactions: 15
To me it's like love island and every other reality type show, yes maybe in the early days people didn't know what they were signing up for but after a series or two you know the score. There is blame on all fronts but people need to take responsibility for themselves too.

Reactions: 15
I watched it since the start and he deffo got ruder and cheekier to the 'guests' the longer it went on. He hammed it right up for the audience, they knew what they were doing.

It was nothing but modern day bear baiting. It made me laugh when they'd wheel out to so-called experts (I'm looking at you Graham) who clearly knew it was all a load of bollocks.

However some of the people they had on such as violent abusers were absolutely vile and deserved everything they got! I did feel sorry for the more vulnerable people who were absolutely desperate for help, but were just used of course by the show for viewings.

It was all very tacky, very Jerry Springer and deffo a sign of the future vile TikTok, Instagram generation that we now have to put up with

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I confess to watching the Jeremy Kyle show quite often, but like every other show on ITV it out stayed it's welcome. It went on for far too long.
If I had any difficulties in life, I certainly wouldn't want to go on TV and air my dirty laundry, this is what I could never understand about the people that appeared on the show. How they thought that a television show could resolve their problems, is beyond my comprehension.
As for Jeremy Kyle, he is a deeply unpleasant man, I am glad the show ended

Reactions: 11
To me it's like love island and every other reality type show, yes maybe in the early days people didn't know what they were signing up for but after a series or two you know the score. There is blame on all fronts but people need to take responsibility for themselves too.
I think even those people don't know the score though, they only think about the positives. If they were told 'you will become recognised over night, people will recognise you in public and may react negatively to your prescence, you will not have the financial bonus to offset this like traditional celebrities' I think more people might reconsider their applications. But everyone just thinks they are going to win and quit the rat race to be insta-famous even if they don't, and only recently has there been more focus on reality shows offering token 'support' when this isn't the case.

Like most things in life, there is a difference between imagining and doing, the reality is usually different and with something like this you can't stop it once it's happened.

Reactions: 3
Looks like Jeremy is aware of the documentary but has decided not to comment on the show until the legal process/inquest of Steve Dymond's death has been completed:

Reactions: 2
To the “they knew what they were getting themselves into” crowd:

They didn’t.

Not only did the production team lie to the participants (we heard last night that they’d out that there was one rehab place so it was best to play up to the cameras, even though everyone was guaranteed a rehab place) but think about the types of people who were participants in the first placr.

No doubt many of these people had profound learning difficulties or were otherwise cognitively limited (diagnosed as such or not). There is also the financial aspect. If I had to choose between never knowing the paternity of my child - because I could never ever afford a test - or going on JK, I might choose the latter. And that’s before we get onto people who just came on to find if their husband was cheating and were suddenly being berated about their employment status, criminal record or other off-topic matters in front of a bunch of cameras.

To suggest that “going on The Jeremy Kyle Show” was a fair and rational decision on behalf of everyone involved is not right. You have to place these people in context.

• Heart
Reactions: 27