Jacob The Carpetbagger

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pretty unprofessional to date a random who emails you based on your YouTube channel persona. If a man tried this with a female vlogger they would be ignored or considered a creep or sexual harasser

Reactions: 4
Is this annoying chick going to be in his videos from now on? She’s like nails on a chalkboard. At least he put her in the thumbnail so I know not to waste any time even clicking on it.

IMG_0583.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 6
What a big fat whiny crybaby. 😭

IMG_0698.jpeg

And the stan comments are ridiculous. I’m pretty sure people knew about Gatlinburg before Adam and Jacob started vlogging there. 🤦🏻‍♀️

IMG_0699.jpeg

• Haha
In the stan's defense, I didn't know a darn thing about Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge before I saw vloggers covering it. And, looking past the crappy tourist traps that they're all so obsessed with (the Earthquake ride, World of Illusions, the Jurassic Boat Ride, etc), there are some pretty fascinating things in the area (the natural beauty of the place just for starters) that make me want to visit some day.

Of course, the prospect of running into one or more of these grifters there shrieking at bursts of compressed air is NOT a selling point!

Reactions: 3
Maybe if vloggers weren't incredibly irritating, self-serving, immature pricks they'd be more welcome. Why doesn't he find out why they've banned vloggers and then try to do better at other places still welcoming them?

Because I am fascinated by the economics of YouTube, I watched Jacob's recent "How Can I Afford to Travel so Much? How I am Able to Make Money on Youtube" video (at 2x speed because duck me if I'm going to sit through nearly 40 minutes of someone just rambling to the camera from the front seat of their car).

He said a lot of things that he's said in the past. He's always loved visiting unique attractions and made traveling a priority long before he knew that it was possible to make money from it -- just for fun. He was originally into still photography and used Flickr, but that wasn't monetized at all. He dropped Adam the Woo's name as someone who inspired him to get into video by opening his eyes to the fact that he could make money from it. At some point, while working his real job, he was able to earn enough from YouTube and Patreon in order to break even with his travel expenses, essentially making his vacations pay for themselves.

He retells the story about how he was harassed at his real job by strangers from the internet and given the ultimatum by his employer to either quit making videos or quit the job.

There's some interesting self-pity going on and the usual vlogger nonsense about how they work so SO hard. In his own words on why he thinks the trolls came after him:

There's a theory I have ... I think some people didn't think that I deserved to be able to travel. I don't think a lot of people saw the hard work that I'd put in to building this channel and just thought that somehow I was I was lazy, somehow that I was just going on vacation and trying to make that my job. Like I said, there's a lot of hard work.
I'm not going to sit here and complain about my job because I love my job and my job means the world to me, but, I think people see me having fun, people see me going to all these places and think that that's all there is to it, and I think maybe some jealousy comes from that.
Sure, it's not all fun and games, but having worked a real job -- a difficult and stressful real job at -- I'd expect him to have a better perspective of just how good he has it now.

I am disappointed though not surprised that he doesn't get into numbers associated with his earnings from different sources (YouTube, Patreon, Cameo... even his merch sales).

I am disappointed though not surprised that he doesn't get into numbers associated with his earnings from different sources (YouTube, Patreon, Cameo... even his merch sales).
Yeah, I wanted the numbers too, but I don't expect anyone to lay a spreadsheet before me showing their net worth because it is really no one else's business except the IRS what anyone else makes. Roughly, I'd figure one would need to earn $40-50K a year minimum to stay at budget hotels each night, pay for gas, eat and buy attraction tickets.

In his video today he showed his home, all cluttered with junk, er, collectibles. He said he doesn't use the fireplace, but all I could think of is throwing all those rag dolls and stuffed toys right into a raging fire. So much tacky stuff make them look like deranged hoarders, but of course we are to think they are just charmingly quirky collectors of whimsical ephemera ... No, that animatronic reindeer is just too weird to put in a living room, yeesh!

Reactions: 1
Let's not forget also that he went "semi-viral" on Reddit about his job demanding him to quit Youtube. He gained quite a bit of sympathy subs from that. Although, the majority probably don't watch any longer. That's why his view counts are such a small percentage of sub count.

I do like Jacob, but the content has gotten stale.

Reactions: 5
Yeah, I wanted the numbers too, but I don't expect anyone to lay a spreadsheet before me showing their net worth because it is really no one else's business except the IRS what anyone else makes. Roughly, I'd figure one would need to earn $40-50K a year minimum to stay at budget hotels each night, pay for gas, eat and buy attraction tickets.
Yeah, I realize that a detailed financial statement is asking quite a bit much. Some finance YouTubers I watch have shown that sort of thing, but it's much more in line with their content than Jacob's.

I'm still curious about the proportion of earnings for these vloggers that comes from YouTube compared to how much comes in from Patreon. I have a suspicion that, for many, YouTube alone wouldn't cut it and Patreon makes up a big chunk -- maybe even a majority -- of their earnings.

Let's not forget also that he went "semi-viral" on Reddit about his job demanding him to quit Youtube. He gained quite a bit of sympathy subs from that. Although, the majority probably don't watch any longer. That's why his view counts are such a small percentage of sub count.

I do like Jacob, but the content has gotten stale.
Yeah, he mentioned that in his talk-to-the-camera. I think it's despicable that randos would harass him and his employer just to be dicks. At the same time, the scenario should be a cautionary tale about protecting personal information -- especially when one chooses to make one's persona public.

I like him, too, and I agree that he's running out of content. I used to enjoy watching him explore interesting and offbeat attractions -- many of which I'd never even heard of before. Now even he seems bored with it, and that's just not fun to watch.

Reactions: 2
With his big move with jen who is super annoying, with all these videos we can see who is doing all the unpacking and help move things and what not. And as i assumed jacob is lazy and wants no part of helping it seems. Now he is pulling a woo with all the pigeon forge videos. Which makes sense since the woo is his idol and hero.

I have been wondering lately is if any parent or grown adult has confronted Jacob. And i mean that by all the fair's he goes to and he goes on the kiddie fun houses by himself with a camera. I could understand it if he had his child with hin but i find it odd and creepy and wonder if any parent asked him just what the hell he is doing. He seems obsessed with them and doing a "speed" run through them. Which i find comical.

Reactions: 1
I'm so ready for him to ditch Jen to take his usual solo road trips. I can't take much more of her. I've skipped every video, except the NYE video in Gatlinburg (which, even then, I wanted to blow my ear drums out from that annoying voice).

• Heart
I'm so ready for him to ditch Jen to take his usual solo road trips. I can't take much more of her. I've skipped every video, except the NYE video in Gatlinburg (which, even then, I wanted to blow my ear drums out from that annoying voice).
I stopped watching him for the same reason. The sound of her voice makes me want to smash my iPad against the wall.

• Haha
  • Heart
I am with everyone else. If the video has jenn in it i skip it. I really think jacob now is just copying his hero Adam The Woo, seems like jacob is obsessed with gatlinburg and pigeon forge like adam is with disney and highway 192 and now jacob has someone super annoying like jen who is just as annoying with adam is with his weird obession with giggles. I see a trend and i find it weird jacob actually said adam is his hero. Good lord.

• Heart
Jenn's fake babytalk is what annoys me most and makes her unwatchable. If she would just talk normally with her real voice, I wouldn't skip every vlog she's in.

• Heart
Jenn's fake babytalk is what annoys me most and makes her unwatchable. If she would just talk normally with her real voice, I wouldn't skip every vlog she's in.
And he does it now sometimes too. It's almost as annoying as when she does it.

• Sick
Yay, Jacob is back on the old lonesome road again, and traveling solo, sans-Jenn. I wonder if she wanted to go with him or if he didn't want her along or if she's going to house-sit and feed the cats and meet up later?? Actually, I don't care. Funny when vloggers try to be so transparent and then don't divulge basic facts, or maybe he did mention it but I don't watch very closely anymore. I think the consensus on this forum is that he's better off vlogging without her. I'm not voting in his polls on where he should go next because I don't care about that either, but I'll watch portions of his vlog if he continues to go to new places. Like today he did Churchhill Downs, which was mildly interesting, meh. He must be a glutton for punishment traveling in winter conditions, why not jump on a jet and do Orlando, hang out at the his buddy's WooCondo and ride the WooCart around Celebration?

Yay, Jacob is back on the old lonesome road again, and traveling solo, sans-Jenn. I wonder if she wanted to go with him or if he didn't want her along or if she's going to house-sit and feed the cats and meet up later?? Actually, I don't care. Funny when vloggers try to be so transparent and then don't divulge basic facts, or maybe he did mention it but I don't watch very closely anymore. I think the consensus on this forum is that he's better off vlogging without her. I'm not voting in his polls on where he should go next because I don't care about that either, but I'll watch portions of his vlog if he continues to go to new places. Like today he did Churchhill Downs, which was mildly interesting, meh. He must be a glutton for punishment traveling in winter conditions, why not jump on a jet and do Orlando, hang out at the his buddy's WooCondo and ride the WooCart around Celebration?
Thanks for the heads up. I haven’t watched him in months but I will watch if she’s not there cackling and being annoying.

• Haha