Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Alright, i am offically calling him Jacob The Woo. Its like he has a bromance or a little obsessed with the guy. He literally said he is his hero...come on lol the woo a hero?

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Peachy Cobbler

Since things are a little slow over here, I’ll jump in with my Carpetbagger observation.

A few years ago I came across him (and a few other vloggers) on YouTube. I started watching fairly regularly. It wasn’t because he was so interesting, but because he was showing inside tourist traps, especially around the Smokies area, that I’d wondered about for ages. Growing up, my family didn’t believe in wasting time and money on tourist traps, for the most part. (Going to the Smokies was to enjoy the mountains, nature, and history.) I never saw inside places like Gatlinburg’s World of Illusions, but passed the beckoning exterior many times over the years and had picked up brochures as a kid at the visitor center rest stop. Carpetbagger’s channel was showing inside places like that, satisfying old curiosities (and usually confirming my parents’ good judgment not to stop).

However interested I was in the content to satisfy curiosity and nostalgia, though, was tempered by the host. I’ve noticed with many vloggers, their need to run their mouth on camera exposes their ignorance and stupidity. He was no exception. I don’t mean when someone makes an occasional mistake or misspeaks. He would not have done research, speculate wildly making guesses using the very limited resources of his brain, give wrong information, pass along folklore as fact, and sometimes make stuff up. I checked out his blog, and found it riddled with bad grammar, typos, and looked just semi-literate. It made me question his education. It appeared he dropped the blog when he found it was quicker and easier to record videos and put them on YouTube. Still, I kept watching for a while.

He did a video on a supposed unknown thing I was familiar with. Being well meaning, I sent him some information about it and links to resources in case he ever wanted to do a follow up on it. He responded that he doesn’t like to do research, chooses not to do it, probably wouldn’t be doing a follow up. Basically, he felt knowing anything about his subjects was unnecessary to make his videos.

I came across a Facebook group where people shared memories and photos of a former amusement park near the Smokies, Ghost Town in the Sky. I’d visited it as a child and was enjoying the stroll down memory lane. There was a discussion among some upset locals. He had been in the area and recorded some derelict buildings and abandoned motel and had the video up on YouTube. People felt their town was being exploited and portrayed in a very negative light. They didn’t understand that creepy/abandoned/decay/exploration was a whole genre on YouTube that he was trying to cash in on. They feared for their town’s reputation and ability to draw tourists and new residents to the area. What made my jaw drop was this jerk actually showed up and injected himself into the discussion, and started squabbling with the locals! His arrogance was off the charts. He kept justifying it as “it’s his job to make videos” and that he “does this for a living”, and arguing with anyone who felt what he’d done was in bad taste or suggested he make some videos showing some of the good things about the town. He just kept going, like a bitchy high school girl. How dare they speak bad about him! He felt fully entitled to do whatever he wanted because making YouTube videos was his “job”. A job that no one hired him for, asked him to do, or handed down directions to go make a shitty video making a small, struggling mountain town look like a zombie apocalypse setting.

He made a video about another location where he played up for the camera some twisted, disturbing made-up weirdness. This ticked me off because I knew what the real story was and could see exactly what he was doing. He was trying to exploit something that was completely innocuous and presenting it as some macabre, deranged, creepy thing. I posted in the comments what it really was and the real (and frankly more interesting) story. He retorted “how would you know?” I replied with links to local newspaper articles, telling the story. He didn’t respond after that and once again, no follow up story. 5 minutes with Google could have led him to the real story!

I was done with him at that point. I think it’s been at least three years since I’ve watched any of his videos, other than clips on channels holding vloggers accountable for their low quality content and shitty behavior. He plays for the camera that he’s fun and friendly, but he’s shown he’s just an arrogant, exploitive creep who doesn’t care what he’s putting out as long as it gets him views. Good to hear he’s floundering. He’d have tons of content just going through his back catalogue and making updates explaining things that he got wrong, things he has since learned, etc. He wouldn’t even have to leave his bunker and could save on gas!

• Heart
Reactions: 8

CrazySquirrelLady

VIP Member
Laffin’ Jen annoys the crap out of me. When she’s in a video I immediately turn it off. She’s definitely not helping his channel.

• Wow
Reactions: 7

ThereGoesTheMoney

Chatty Member
Today we get 45 minutes of crying about people being negative to him on YouTube. Look, fatass, this is what you signed up for when you quit your job and abandoned your family to do this vlogging thing full-time. Spare me the sob story.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

ThereGoesTheMoney

Chatty Member
I don't want to sound like I'm excusing the trolls, but you really have to expect that kind of thing when you make your life public. There's a lot of negativity in the world, and while some of it is merited, it is important to be able to find ways to ignore that which is not. That's true not only of YouTubers but for everyone.

After reading a bit on Jacob's friend Boogie2988 and Chris Chan among others, I've become more certain that openness on the internet is no substitute for therapy for those who need it. In fact, interacting with strangers on the internet probably does more harm than good in those situations. Since Jacob self-identifies as "neurodivergent", I hope that he is developing good strategies for his mental health -- and consulting with a professional if needed to do so.
I understand where you're coming from, and there are people who unquestionably cross lines of decency on those platforms. But a 45-minute video about it paints himself to be the victim, and I just don't have patience for that. As you said, it's part of the territory when you choose to make your life public.

I previously kind of liked Jacob until I came to find out that he pretty much abandoned his family to live the vlogger lifestyle. That's when I lost respect for him and stopped cutting him slack on his periodic "so much negativity, woe is me" videos.

Reactions: 6

Yojimbo36

Chatty Member
Welcome to the 1st thread about the pathetic piece of trash that is Jacob The Carpetbagger. Drinking problems, popping pain pills and cheating on his soon to be ex-wife are his main hobbies but he also vlogs roadside museums so much that everyone's sick of them by now. Enjoy!

carpetbagger.jpg

Last edited:
  • Heart

CrazySquirrelLady

VIP Member
The new clout chasing girlfriend is super annoying and she’s been in his last two videos. She giggles. She cackles. She talks over him. She dramatically falls on the ground and spills her Easter basket. I actually enjoy some of Jacob’s content but won’t be watching if she’s part of the channel now.

Nate's Top Button

VIP Member
As if his videos weren't annoying enough before, now we get to watch Jen with her mouth hanging open, baby-talk and excitement over kids toys.

Mr 7Percent

When my kids were young, people like Carpetbagger and Adam The Woo are the kind of dirtbags I would instinctively pull my kids away from. Some parental thing is still with me that wants to protect children from tatted up sweaty fat men playing in what are really children's-only areas. We live in a golden age of shamelessness.

ThereGoesTheMoney

Chatty Member
I think there are a lot of people who have been very successful on YouTube, but not properly prepared for it. And then they go and quit their stable day jobs for it and start to crumble under the pressure of sustaining something that, realistically, will never be sustainable long-term. At best, they'll be able to hold on to their loyal viewers without having to find ways to improve their content, but new YouTubers will continually come along and overtake them.

Jacob is out of ideas. Woo is too and burned out and talks about buying a house, but how he's going to afford it and its upkeep if he's already well past doing his job. Tim Tracker is buried under the pressure of keeping his high-spend life and wife going when he clearly doesn't enjoy his channel anymore. With YT, if you don't enjoy doing your work, viewers aren't going to enjoy watching it.
I think it's become pretty clear that a lot of the vloggers in the vein of Jacob, ATW, TTT, etc., are not enjoying their work anymore. Watch Adam or Jacob a few years ago versus today and there is a noticeable difference in energy. And I get it - daily or near-daily vlogging is a grind, even if it's a bit of a luxury lifestyle. But this is what they chose, so I have no sympathy for that.

They're all going to have to change their presentation if they want to be sustainable, but that's hard to do when you have no drive to be better.

Mr 7Percent

Yuck in the sense of being too darn cutesy, like watching any couple fawning over each other. It is uncomfortable. Just go to weird odd places and do your spiel and leave it at that. Doing a one-off collab occasionally is okay, but putting out this non-platonic romance stuff, especially if he's still in the process of getting divorced, is just, yuck.

Vloggie 127

Jacob has had some really hateful trolls after him for years. He made the mistake of engaging with them and hitting them back. For that they will never leave him alone even attacking his wife and daughter. He’s not a perfect person, but most of the crap you hear about is made up by these disgusting trolls trying to hurt him and his family.

• Haha

Mr 7Percent

29.08.2023_19.31.08_REC.png

All Jenn needs is a broom stick and pointy black hat to complete the ensemble. There is an inner beauty in everyone, yet some hide it away better than others. I should imagine that removing a facial mole (or unsightly nascent homunculus) might be a prerequisite before opting to present oneself in a long term YT video project. Jacob should take her to a dermatologist. Maybe if she had one of those miraculous body makeovers, no, wait, she'd still have that annoying personality too.

• Haha
  • Sick

Mr 7Percent

Carpetbagger has been preaching the gospel of autism to his sad band of 10-15K loyalist stans (like a hivemind cult really) and it wears really thin, this is like his fifth walk and talk about this topic. Who fucking cares you fat little ugly man! So you're fucked up in the head, join the human race. Though you really are messed up, leaving your wife and child to pursue some adolescent fixation you conveniently mask as autism or neural divergency. Take a walk loser.

• Heart

CrazySquirrelLady

VIP Member
Is this annoying chick going to be in his videos from now on? She’s like nails on a chalkboard. At least he put her in the thumbnail so I know not to waste any time even clicking on it.

IMG_0583.jpeg

• Haha

Peachy Cobbler

When I see him get something wrong on a subject that I know about, it makes me wonder what he's getting wrong about those things I know nothing about.
I feel the same way. They lose credibility in my eyes and makes me suspect their other videos have actually been bull crap.

But his willful ignorance is particularly frustrating when he goes somewhere like a museum where the point is education. He doesn't even bother to read the placards/descriptions that are right in front of him and instead makes up his own stories about the exhibits.
This infuriates me! With several vloggers like him, I catch myself talking back at the screen, making corrections and giving directions like an armchair quarterback. Then I realize what I’m doing and that I need to take a YouTube break. ;)

I LOVE Rick Sebak!
Me too. His programs are well researched, engaging, and relaxing fun. I can’t help but be in a good mood watching one. It’s never exploitative, smarmy, or mean spirited. Road trip vloggers could learn so much about how to craft positive, compelling stories if they would sit down with a stack of his dvds and take notes. (Though they’d also have to be decent people for it to work and come across as genuine.). To do it right would probably be too much effort for most of them.