Jack Monroe (bootstrapcook)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As someone in the business, please can you explain to me why recipe blogs are often so tedious? When I just want a bloody recipe but have to read the author's entire life history, the inspiration behind the recipe and the entirety of War and Peace before getting to the ingredients and method. I've started clicking off now and finding another recipe as soon as I see a sea of words.
Guilty here ✋ but it's a necessary evil. There are 2 main reasons:

1, It REALLY helps with google. If you have longer content you are likley to get higher in google so I am for 1000 words. Also the longer someone spends reading an article the higher up in google it goes as google sees the article as more useful. But you do have to balance it as if its too long people click back in seconds and it harms you in google. In my defense I do only write about the recipe and put up useful and interesting photos, you will never hear me going on about my dog, holiday in France or children or any total wordcrap that no one cares about! I try to make it useful and interesting for readers. I'm always going back and re-writing content or jigging things around to get the right balance. I've got a click to recipe button so people can skip all the blurb and go right to the recipe card.

2, So people scroll and get served a few adverts. My ad company tells you to aim for 8 adverts a mobile user. I know it sounds sketchy but I used to not do this and make a fraction of what I do and it is a full time job so I need to make at least a grand a month. Jack goes on about how she makes all her recipes for free, well we all do it's not special! You don't see recipes behind a paywall as its a struggle to get the traffic let alone charge for it. The longer content does get you more hits from google and more money, but I don't take the piss.

Doing blogging professionally does require a lot of work to research what will do well and how to get people to see it. Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing my job to a paramedic, but it's not a case of creating any old stuff and posting it. You have to really plan.

Vanity bloggers like Jack (and many others on social media) can just adapt any old recipe and post it up without much care and attention or work to promote it.

Thanks for the offers to share my blog that's really sweet, although I would prefer to be save with my anonymity. Covid-19 has really hit advertising rates on my blog - they are down significantly from last year and expected to keep falling lower. But that's fine, it happens and I've made a good living for the last few years for times like this so that my mortgage has been overpaid and I have savings so you won't hear me complain. I view every month I was able to make more money from a job I hated and be my own boss as a blessing. This kind of work by it's own nature is massively variable, you have to take the rough with the smooth. At any time google or pinterest could change their algorithm and half your income.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
She'll be saying she invented semolina next, even though it was out before she was born 😂
I'm tempted to change her wikipedia to say she invented tinned spaghetti hoops :LOL:

I won't though, it's a joke Jack

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Guilty here ✋ but it's a necessary evil. There are 2 main reasons:

1, It REALLY helps with google. If you have longer content you are likley to get higher in google so I am for 1000 words. Also the longer someone spends reading an article the higher up in google it goes as google sees the article as more useful. But you do have to balance it as if its too long people click back in seconds and it harms you in google. In my defense I do only write about the recipe and put up useful and interesting photos, you will never hear me going on about my dog, holiday in France or children or any total wordcrap that no one cares about! I try to make it useful and interesting for readers. I'm always going back and re-writing content or jigging things around to get the right balance. I've got a click to recipe button so people can skip all the blurb and go right to the recipe card.

2, So people scroll and get served a few adverts. My ad company tells you to aim for 8 adverts a mobile user. I know it sounds sketchy but I used to not do this and make a fraction of what I do and it is a full time job so I need to make at least a grand a month. Jack goes on about how she makes all her recipes for free, well we all do it's not special! You don't see recipes behind a paywall as its a struggle to get the traffic let alone charge for it. The longer content does get you more hits from google and more money, but I don't take the piss.

Doing blogging professionally does require a lot of work to research what will do well and how to get people to see it. Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing my job to a paramedic, but it's not a case of creating any old stuff and posting it. You have to really plan.

Vanity bloggers like Jack (and many others on social media) can just adapt any old recipe and post it up without much care and attention or work to promote it.

Thanks for the offers to share my blog that's really sweet, although I would prefer to be save with my anonymity. Covid-19 has really hit advertising rates on my blog - they are down significantly from last year and expected to keep falling lower. But that's fine, it happens and I've made a good living for the last few years for times like this so that my mortgage has been overpaid and I have savings so you won't hear me complain. I view every month I was able to make more money from a job I hated and be my own boss as a blessing. This kind of work by it's own nature is massively variable, you have to take the rough with the smooth. At any time google or pinterest could change their algorithm and half your income.
Wow, thanks for all the info, that's very informative and explains it! I guess I thought it was a trend or something but that makes so much sense now you've explained it.

Reactions: 8
First Economy Cook
Do they really have that short memories, I mean Jack's the first one to blog extreme poverty while having too much pride to ask family for help, but every decade has an economy cook.

Reactions: 20
I understand why people are wanting to support her (even if it's in that shouty, preachy tone Twitter brings out in people) but they have to face the facts that she's not a natural broadcaster. Which is fine, being a good TV presenter is deceptively difficult. The message of economical cooking will get lost if people can't watch the programme. At the very most she could be a co-host to a show but I don't think her ego would allow her to share the spotlight.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
And still banging on about 20 hour days on Twitter, cooking food in comfort of home whilst NHS workers and key workers are doing mega overtime, risking their lives and sacrificing time with their families....tone...deaf!

Reactions: 19
Does Jack even want to a tv show or is she annoyed she wasn’t asked?

I would 100% rather watch Jamie Oliver, I like his shows (apologies to those who dislike him 😂) and think he’s someone people would find more comforting in this time

Reactions: 18
Would she not actually just grow up and be grateful there is such a programme going out? Doesn't matter who presents it? There will be a knock on effect to her book anyway. Maybe just think of people who might be grateful for inspiration in canned food and don't be such a bleeping prima Donna.

Reactions: 16
A255A772-5B5C-4DBF-9EDA-F78B0EAB7CA2.jpeg

these are the sort of posts that made me start to wonder about her. Self centred and bit strange tbh. She must have made some cash from her book sales surely ???? Maybe she’s a gambler ? 😂

• Haha
“Banging out free stuff”. Where’s her MBE? She’s a national bleeping treasure.

• Haha
Screenshot_20200321_010528.jpg

Both channels at the same time?? This has to be a joke, surely?

This stuff about Jamie Oliver is really pissing me off. Even if she was the original budget chef (which she's obviously not).... Jamie has been a TV chef for decades, that's his thing. Why should he move aside for her?

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 22
Am I right in thinking she doesn’t do YouTube? I mean surely if you want to be on TV and get your own TV programme which is what she clearly wants, would you not start filming short recipes for YouTube?

Reactions: 10
Am I right in thinking she doesn’t do YouTube? I mean surely if you want to be on TV and get your own TV programme which is what she clearly wants, would you not start filming short recipes for YouTube?
How on earth do you expect her to fit in filming a You Tube channel, she already works 20 hours a day for free!!!!! 😉

*Get off twitter Jack and you'll find you only work 3 hours, you waste the rest on social media.

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.