Jack Monroe (bootstrapcook)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

I suppose this is part of what I don't understand about her current stance. The supermarkets are more or less back to normal, why are we pretending like they're not? I know lots of people are in for some hard yards financially but that's different to lockdown. Noone needs to be eating spaghetti hoops and coconut milk because that's all there is. And if you can't get out (I'm one of those people), there's about 6 million good Samaritans on every facebook group, every corner shop, pub and cafe seem to be set up delivery now (It may be different if you're super rural, but she's only Essex, isn't she?)

She could have got everything to make her kid a cake without any faff?
Agreed and food banks are really struggling at the moment. Lots of the people donating to boost jack's 6-figure income might be the same people that are donating less. I imagine most of them think Jack is desolate with all her begging and their money will go towards her £160 bottles of perfume.

Reactions: 7
Agreed @Yel I think it’s really disgraceful for her to be asking for tips after spreading those absurd falsehoods around her just scraping by on a living wage herself, she has a partner on huge money & financial security. It’s really crappy goings on and I hope someone calls her out for it, there’s a time & place to make your £ and this crisis is not one of them. I don’t keep up w Joe Wicks but hasn’t he just donated a ton to the NHS? Shame Jack can’t follow suit.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
What’s your favourite B’*witched song! Eh?
throwback lol. mine is weatherman in case anyone was wondering 😅

Agreed @Yel I think it’s really disgraceful for her to be asking for tips after spreading those absurd falsehoods around her just scraping by on a living wage herself, she has a partner on huge money & financial security. It’s really crappy goings on and I hope someone calls her out for it, there’s a time & place to make your £ and this crisis is not one of them. I don’t keep up w Joe Wicks but hasn’t he just donated a ton to the NHS? Shame Jack can’t follow suit.
yeh exactly, I don't particularly like Joe wicks but at least he has made some kind of contribution, he must realise he has massively raised his profile through his PE lessons, which will in turn end up as income in the future, but he has given back as well at least

• Haha
Reactions: 10
On Twitter yesterday she was telling her followers that she didn't have house insurance because of the trauma of once being poor. Nobody calls her out on this type of statement, very hard to believe that a couple on the combined income of her and her partner with phones, laptops etc wouldn't have insurance? Yet everyone seems to swallow what she says without question.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
On Twitter yesterday she was telling her followers that she didn't have house insurance because of the trauma of once being poor. Nobody calls her out on this type of statement, very hard to believe that a couple on the combined income of her and her partner with phones, laptops etc wouldn't have insurance? Yet everyone seems to swallow what she says without question.
I mean, I'm going to guess that at least one of them owns that house (as she'd have plenty of complaints about any landlord she had?) so I'd assume they at the very least have building's insurance as most lenders ask for it? & at that point it's only a bit extra for contents, most people's policies are £15-20 a month? We've had to insure quite a few high ticket items under our policy and that's 'only' £37 a month which for the cover we get inside & outside the house is bleeping incredible really.

I just find her portrayal of poverty so weird, I have CPTSD from growing up in poverty with MH parents and I prize financial security (insurances, reliable income, savings) and am a chronic ppl pleaser as a result, I find her really antagonistic and the complete opposite of that which makes it hard for me to believe her. I feel bad saying that but nothing adds up with her, it's so odd...

Reactions: 27
I mean, I'm going to guess that at least one of them owns that house (as she'd have plenty of complaints about any landlord she had?) so I'd assume they at the very least have building's insurance as most lenders ask for it? & at that point it's only a bit extra for contents, most people's policies are £15-20 a month? We've had to insure quite a few high ticket items under our policy and that's 'only' £37 a month which for the cover we get inside & outside the house is bleeping incredible really.

I just find her portrayal of poverty so weird, I have CPTSD from growing up in poverty with MH parents and I prize financial security (insurances, reliable income, savings) and am a chronic ppl pleaser as a result, I find her really antagonistic and the complete opposite of that which makes it hard for me to believe her. I feel bad saying that but nothing adds up with her, it's so odd...
totally agree.. can i ask what cptsd and mh are? (sorry to be that person but google came up with just random company references lol)

Reactions: 2
totally agree.. can i ask what cptsd and mh are? (sorry to be that person but google came up with just random company references lol)
Oh sorry my love, complex post traumatic distress - usually it’s written C-PTSD so entirely my fault! And mental health = MH! xx

Reactions: 4

Completely agree with this post. Very similar childhood which has left me with many issues. I felt awful questioning her story initially but it really doesn’t add up.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Yel

From her latest Metro article. I think she believes that she sounds clever and funny, but she just comes off as snippy and unpleasant
She's constantly in arguments that no one is making other than herself. She says she's fought hard for people to not think they have to use arborio rice for a risotto. But she's also tweeted that arborio rice is best for a risotto to make it creamy.

We all know you can use less expensive ingredients. I made a cake with a teaspoon of 69p Lidl vanilla extract because I can't justify buying vanilla pods. She expects praise on her doorstep for replying to a basic argument that she instigated.

Just makes me think she lives in a make believe bubble.

We're in almost war time efforts, no one is taking about what varietys of wheat or rice to cook with, other than jack.

Reactions: 18
It's like Pulp's Common People was written for her...:rolleyes: I don't know if she's even aware she's lying anymore. I don't know how anyone could live with her. Her behaviour and entire personality is harder to stomach than her vile peach curry :sick:

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It's like Pulp's Common People was written for her...:rolleyes: I don't know if she's even aware she's lying anymore. I don't know how anyone could live with her. Her behaviour and entire personality is harder to stomach than her vile peach curry :sick:
She is living in a parallel universe... she is almost Alan Patridgesque in her ridiculous made up statements

• Haha
Reactions: 10
She's constantly in arguments that no one is making other than herself. She says she's fought hard for people to not think they have to use arborio rice for a risotto. But she's also tweeted that arborio rice is best for a risotto to make it creamy.

We all know you can use less expensive ingredients. I made a cake with a teaspoon of 69p Lidl vanilla extract because I can't justify buying vanilla pods. She expects praise on her doorstep for replying to a basic argument that she instigated.

Just makes me think she lives in a make believe bubble.

We're in almost war time efforts, no one is taking about what varietys of wheat or rice to cook with, other than jack.
I am currently uploading the "wartime kitchen and garden" from the 80's to my youtube. It is a lovely show, that is a 6 parter from the BBC about how people did rationing, cooking and growing during WW2. I downloaded it years ago but it has never been released on dvd or digital by BBC. If you want to watch it just DM me and I'll link you as I'm not making it public, not that I do anything on my youtube anyway.
I love it as it reminds me of my late Dad who always was a proper gardener, although he was only about 8 at the end of the war.
The stuff they cooked during rationing was real food and not bleeping spaghetti hoops and coconut milk mixed together. Chucking random tins together is not a recipe like bleeping Jack thinks.

Reactions: 14
I am currently uploading the "wartime kitchen and garden" from the 80's to my youtube. It is a lovely show, that is a 6 parter from the BBC about how people did rationing, cooking and growing during WW2. I downloaded it years ago but it has never been released on dvd or digital by BBC. If you want to watch it just DM me and I'll link you as I'm not making it public, not that I do anything on my youtube anyway.
I love it as it reminds me of my late Dad who always was a proper gardener, although he was only about 8 at the end of the war.
The stuff they cooked during rationing was real food and not bleeping spaghetti hoops and coconut milk mixed together. Chucking random tins together is not a recipe like bleeping Jack thinks.
That sounds interesting. Did you see The 1940s House which came out late 90s, I think? There was an exhibition at the Imperial War Museum too.

Reactions: 2
My mum and sister lived in extreme poverty when my mum was married to her first husband (DV issues). They had nothing, no heating, hot water or food. After my mum left and met my dad she has always stockpiled food and my sister has done the same, way before all this. It's a response to extreme poverty, neither one of them has run out of anything or needed to buy anything other than fresh food, so why has Jack needed to use substitutes, surely she would naturally be a stockpiler, too. You would never need to substitute sugar for honey if you have 3 bags of sugar, like my mum does, etc...

I've never been keen on Jack and I'm a proper lefty, always thought it was me being cynical but I always felt she was courting attention with the non-binary thing, being vegan, leaving the Labour Party and showing her hands on food pics really irritated me, I thought I was being petty. Glad I found this thread.

Reactions: 23

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
@Alebandra1 sorry to hear about what your mum & sister went through, I hope they’re in a much better place now? Agreed completely, I didn’t realise how much I do it but I’ve got doubles of most things that are important to me (HP sauce 😂) and already had a stock pile of loo roll & toiletries because they’d always go first and are ££ to replace.

Also her recipes often use more food than is warranted? Like someone else has pointed out just eat hoops on toast you don’t need chick peas ruining the dish when that’d make a whole other dinner?!

Reactions: 6
throwback lol. mine is weatherman in case anyone was wondering 😅

yeh exactly, I don't particularly like Joe wicks but at least he has made some kind of contribution, he must realise he has massively raised his profile through his PE lessons, which will in turn end up as income in the future, but he has given back as well at least
Complex PTSD and Mental Health
thank you !

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.