Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Gentlemensrelish

Chatty Member
Some of the Tweets she's liked are amazing. One accusing Jamie Oliver of smugly shaking a bag of pasta.

Are we really suggesting noone in the country has pasta and it's insensitive and distressing for other people to even see pasta? Someone has pasta, someone has lots of pasta. In a 'cooking from your cupboards' kind of programme, were they meant to do no recipes at all with dried pasta? People are lunatics.

(I do not have pasta, I didn't cry cause I'm brave)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

Mycuppatea

I'm so pleased I found this board. I used to think I was going mad and/or a terrible person for wondering why people were so bought in to her nonsense when it is so transparently nonsense.

Also, she's not giving people recipes, she's just naming obvious dishes.

Got lentils? Make Dahl
Got beans and rice? Make chilli
Got beans and spaghetti? Make Bolognese

Someone said they had berries and ice cream and she said have berries and ice cream.

Fucking revolutionary.
Using your berries and ice cream to make ice cream with berries is something Jack invented. Stop trying to mess about with her niche.

• Haha
Reactions: 26

Coffeetrampbiatch

Hello 👋 been reading this thread for a couple of days and wanted to add some words as someone that is a food blogger. I was following the thread on mumsnet and 93% of people thought she was being shady with her donations but mumsnet still deleted it as a few were saying it wasn't #bekind. Give me a break!

I've been a full time food blogger for over 4 years. My site is way less popular and I'm virtually unknown with a fraction of the followers Jack has. However I still gross £4'000-5'000 a month. This is all in adverts from a network on my site and videos, not from doing #AD on social media. I say this not to show off but to say if you run a site with quality content it can be very lucrative. I use a few paid for tools and have web hosting, but they come to less than £100 a month. It's 100% bullshit that Jack says it's expensive to host her site, as it's not expensive and the money she makes from adverts on it makes far far more than the small hosting fees a month - mine costs £40ish a month (paid in USD) for 500k ish visitors and I'm nowhere near capacity with my webhost.

Jack Monroe infuriates me because she's making a very good living but still has her tips bowl and patreon to ask for more when she really doesn't need it.

Her site is terrible, it's not formatted correctly and her blogging is about 10 years out of date now. I wish I could just make a meal then take one or two photos afterwards and the job is done. But you can't these days you need to film a video, take step by step shots and take the final photos in various different setups, not just take two photos of the same thing from a different angle. Being a blogger isn't only about writing a post and that's it. I spend 80% of my time promoting and improving my content - making sure it appears in google, rewriting to improve it for SEO, creating videos for all the different social media sites and generally working hard to drive traffic to it. Then I'm researching what to make next. Jack doesn't do any of this as she doesn't need to because she's getting so much easy traffic from newspapers, her followers and other media outlets. She's a very lazy blogger.

Jacks recipes aren't anything new, most of them were the stuff I learnt in my home economics class in the 1980s. Using budget flour and budget chocolate to make a budget cookie isn't new or innovative.

I'm not jealous, I think she's a fraudster. With her 7 books and all her media work I bet she's earnt 500k if not a 1m and that's brill. But stop taking money from people that can't afford it. I have a limited company like she does and I could pay myself £8 an hour (although if spending all day on twitter and paying herself for that she's definitely overpaid) but it makes no difference as the bushiness account is in my name and only I control it.

As a single mum with two children, I chose this job with no security and have saved enough to live for a long time with no income because it's a job with no security so I built up savings! I find it incredulous that Jack went through poverty and then made a lot of money and had nothing saved up. BULLSHIT JACK. Was she ever actually poor? She chose to leave a secure job with a child and refused any help from the child's dad and her family all while pleading poverty and trying to get media attention?

Cooking and being poor are tools Jack uses for attention I believe as she wants a high profile media career.

Sorry for the long message tapped out badly on my iPad. I can't stand people like her that are liars and fleece others. Hope that wasn't a total bore fest.
If you want to PM me your blog i’ll Send some traffic your way, not an awful lot because I’m not a big account or anything but happy to reveal who I am to you too and start following your blog. Xx

Yel

Chatty Member
She'll be saying she invented semolina next, even though it was out before she was born 😂
I'm tempted to change her wikipedia to say she invented tinned spaghetti hoops :LOL:

I won't though, it's a joke Jack

• Haha
  • Wow

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Just watched Jamie and I'm not normally a fan but I really do think he gets 100% what horrible times we are in. Good ideas and tips and compassion. I find it quite upsetting Jack has made it so unpleasant for him. He is not the enemy here.

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
She works a minimum of 96 hours a day, hasn’t got the time to do a YouTube channel and yet has still found time to colour code her bookcase 👀
9BC823A8-43B4-4E2C-9E85-5AF8D35801A6.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 25

Doobots

Chatty Member
“It’s not his fault. They probably just wanted a jolly, safe pair of hands. But I would have been able to help, and I would be happy to co-host. My door is open. The more of us helping out in this crisis, the better.”
Fair enough, how could Jamie refuse the offer to co-host? Who doesn't want to work alongside someone who encouraged a pile on towards him, refers to him as 'that man', and was slagging him for using capers yesterday.

• Haha

emm

VIP Member
and surely with her "20 hour" work days she doesn't have time to host a tv show anyway?!

• Haha

Slacalis

Mary Berry has a disability w.r.t. one hand. I've never once heard her complain, moan about, or even noticed it until she had that country show once where they went through her life history. This jack idiot is the biggest melt and professional victim around (on-par with Jameela Jamil)!
Mary Berry gave up cooking shows in the late 80's because of her Rheumatoid Arthritis, it was so bad she retired but kept on writing. When I was diagnosed with the same my mum was so upset because she would see Mary's hand and feel sorry for her. When she came back on TV it was lovely to see someone living a great life and with such elegance and at a fabulous age too. Ms Monroe could learn a thing or two about grace, humility and, fuck it, cooking too. Awful human, self absorbed, ball of aggression and bullshittery.

• Heart
  • Haha

GrunkaLunka

VIP Member
The thing that really gets me is that Jamie Oliver is a chef, with a lot of experience. He's done hundreds, maybe thousands of TV appearances. He knows how to make food, and he knows how to present. He is a brilliant choice for a new cooking show.

This isn't a documentary about being poor, having to survive on pennies a day or anything like that. It's a bloody cookery show to help people during lockdown.

Just because Jack has been poor, and has made a few books about making food from tinned ingredients, it doesn't mean she is a good fit for this new show. As many people have said on here, her presenting style is awkward and makes people feel on edge and uncomfortable. Her recipe ideas do seem to be pretty much "tip these things together and mix".

Although I do believe that experience can be invaluable, the important skill required here is being able to cook and present TV rather than being authentically poor or having a book about tinned produce.

Tinned foods are just ingredients, and to act as though she has more rights to them than Jamie because she used to be poor is odd. The people who have encouraged her should be ashamed of themselves. I am all for helping your pals and giving people a leg up, but you have to be realistic and you certainly shouldn't do it at the expense of others.

• Haha

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
And am I reading this right - someone buys her a weighted blanket and she didn’t bother thanking them? But has time to tweet about the blanket?

Also how tone deaf would you have to be to say you are taking refuge from your troubles under your expensive GIFTED (but forgot to mention that bit, hmm) weighted blanket. While many people are now facing zero income and have no savings, no book advances etc to fall back on.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sick

Mokie

Chatty Member
I’ve always had my doubts about this woman’s back story......the poverty and food bank use, sexual violence survivor, ex sex worker, self harm, eating disorders, bullied, trans for a bit, alcoholism......

I remember quite a few years ago when I followed her, she was asking for advice after spilling something on her Mulberry handbag and then the next minute she’s crying poverty again. Oh and only buys shoes from Russell & Bromley because their shoes are the only ones that fit.

And another tale that made me 🙄 apparently passed the all the selection tests including fitness to become a firefighter. Despite being a premature baby and having Asthma and the endless other ailments.

All very odd yet the blue tickers lap her up

Mycuppatea

She has always been insufferable and a fucking nasty petty piece of work. She made me feel sorry for David Cameron (whom I despise) when she had a pop at him about 'using' the memory of his son who passed from Celebral Palsy as 'rhetoric'.
You know because no child is worse off than her son.....

It lost her the Sainsburys contract she had. This is why brands stay away.
View attachment 99918
View attachment 99919
View attachment 99921View attachment 99922View attachment 99923View attachment 99924
I have to admit that I think if you are unable to feed yourself and your child and/or if you are attempting suicide then your child should be taken into care. Not to punish anyone but to ensure the wellbeing of the child and give the parent a chance to get treatment, rest and regroup. No child should have to live with someone who is attempting suicide. I did as a girl and it left scars for life.

• Sad

poppycat

She has been given a column in metro.co.uk starting today, she should be pleased but no, first thing she does is have a dig at Jamie Oliver for using capers in his television show, then goes on to use them herself in her 'recipe' (mashed up sardines on toast). She really comes across as spiteful and unpleasant, why is any media outlet giving her airtime?

• Haha
  • Sad

Ellabella

VIP Member
God she's a twat. She didn't invent cooking using tins. JO is a huge name, of course he's more likely to get the gig than her. Her presenting style is dreadful, very nervy and unsure of herself, puts you on edge watching it.

Reactions: 24

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Yes, him, Delia, Nigella, Prue Leith, Mary Berry, Gordon Ramsey... any of the nice comforting TV chefs could have done it. I don't think it's so much about helping anyone as just making soothing television.
Or Rick Stein. I know he isn't particularly known for store cupboard essentials but I think he just is the most reassuring presence and seems very kindly.
I actually think in this case Jack is wrong for a number of reasons but the main one is that I want someone for whom, like us all probably, this style of cooking is unusual and not the norm. They are in it with us finding their feet.
Jack rattling off 81 recipes like it is no big deal to me seems though she is the 'expert' on this topic, she doesn't grasp how we want to be reassured that this isn't normal, it is a peculiar situation, you aren't going mad for being apprehensive. I don't think we need a know-all right now.

• Heart

Catwinky

Chatty Member
6 days ago she posted she was immunocompromised and couldn't leave the house.
All immunocompromised people recieved letters saying not to leave the house for 12 weeks.
But now its ok for her to go out??
She's such a fucking liar.
Screenshot_20200402-104615.jpg

• Angry
  • Wow