Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
She's so in your face and aggressive, just what we don't need. I'd imagine on her own show she'd start each recipe with an anecdote like the time a pimp spat in her mouth and she got hepatitis, or other stories she's picked up from the telly.

• Haha
Reactions: 35

sorenips

Hello 👋 been reading this thread for a couple of days and wanted to add some words as someone that is a food blogger. I was following the thread on mumsnet and 93% of people thought she was being shady with her donations but mumsnet still deleted it as a few were saying it wasn't #bekind. Give me a break!

I've been a full time food blogger for over 4 years. My site is way less popular and I'm virtually unknown with a fraction of the followers Jack has. However I still gross £4'000-5'000 a month. This is all in adverts from a network on my site and videos, not from doing #AD on social media. I say this not to show off but to say if you run a site with quality content it can be very lucrative. I use a few paid for tools and have web hosting, but they come to less than £100 a month. It's 100% bullshit that Jack says it's expensive to host her site, as it's not expensive and the money she makes from adverts on it makes far far more than the small hosting fees a month - mine costs £40ish a month (paid in USD) for 500k ish visitors and I'm nowhere near capacity with my webhost.

Jack Monroe infuriates me because she's making a very good living but still has her tips bowl and patreon to ask for more when she really doesn't need it.

Her site is terrible, it's not formatted correctly and her blogging is about 10 years out of date now. I wish I could just make a meal then take one or two photos afterwards and the job is done. But you can't these days you need to film a video, take step by step shots and take the final photos in various different setups, not just take two photos of the same thing from a different angle. Being a blogger isn't only about writing a post and that's it. I spend 80% of my time promoting and improving my content - making sure it appears in google, rewriting to improve it for SEO, creating videos for all the different social media sites and generally working hard to drive traffic to it. Then I'm researching what to make next. Jack doesn't do any of this as she doesn't need to because she's getting so much easy traffic from newspapers, her followers and other media outlets. She's a very lazy blogger.

Jacks recipes aren't anything new, most of them were the stuff I learnt in my home economics class in the 1980s. Using budget flour and budget chocolate to make a budget cookie isn't new or innovative.

I'm not jealous, I think she's a fraudster. With her 7 books and all her media work I bet she's earnt 500k if not a 1m and that's brill. But stop taking money from people that can't afford it. I have a limited company like she does and I could pay myself £8 an hour (although if spending all day on twitter and paying herself for that she's definitely overpaid) but it makes no difference as the bushiness account is in my name and only I control it.

As a single mum with two children, I chose this job with no security and have saved enough to live for a long time with no income because it's a job with no security so I built up savings! I find it incredulous that Jack went through poverty and then made a lot of money and had nothing saved up. BULLSHIT JACK. Was she ever actually poor? She chose to leave a secure job with a child and refused any help from the child's dad and her family all while pleading poverty and trying to get media attention?

Cooking and being poor are tools Jack uses for attention I believe as she wants a high profile media career.

Sorry for the long message tapped out badly on my iPad. I can't stand people like her that are liars and fleece others. Hope that wasn't a total bore fest.
As someone in the business, please can you explain to me why recipe blogs are often so tedious? When I just want a bloody recipe but have to read the author's entire life history, the inspiration behind the recipe and the entirety of War and Peace before getting to the ingredients and method. I've started clicking off now and finding another recipe as soon as I see a sea of words.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35

AdoraDelano

Chatty Member
Emma Kennedy thinks she head girl of Twitter, the Government and all media. Possibly the most annoying person ever.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33

Gentlemensrelish

Chatty Member
Every 'recipe' she gives is exactly this - mix the ingredients together, no matter how random, and hope for the best! She'll say 'make a soup' without any recipe for the soup, it's absolute nonsense, yet people are fawning over her saying how wonderful and selfless she is. Weird.
I'm so pleased I found this board. I used to think I was going mad and/or a terrible person for wondering why people were so bought in to her nonsense when it is so transparently nonsense.

Also, she's not giving people recipes, she's just naming obvious dishes.

Got lentils? Make Dahl
Got beans and rice? Make chilli
Got beans and spaghetti? Make Bolognese

Someone said they had berries and ice cream and she said have berries and ice cream.

Fucking revolutionary.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 32

JellyWobbles

VIP Member
She’s got a nerve begging for money when not even 24hrs earlier on her Convid rant she replied to someone saying she’s just paid their wedding deposit. Oh she must be really hard up 🙄. Literally has no shame.
Absolute tramp.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 31

Kofi Annan

However, she did take Katie Hopkins to court, sued the arse out of her and made her file bankruptcy. So maybe not all bad?

• Haha

Kikini Bamalam

VIP Member
She's full of shit. Delia Smith did a programme and book called how to cheat at cooking using tins and pre-prepared stuff in 2008. I hate Jamie Oliver and would never watch his stuff, but if you forced me to choose between watching Jack or Jamie, I would choose the mockney cunt over her every time

• Haha
  • Heart

Mycuppatea

what exactly does she claim to do for a living that means she has to be “working” at 3.30am.....?!!!!
I think unless you're dealing with a wildfire, nuclear reactor melt down or, you know, coronavirus, if you are working 18-20 hour days as she claims and all you achieve is to post some recipes that amount to "dump some cans of stuff in a pan and choke it down with a smile when it's heated through" and be bolshie all over Twitter - well then I'd say you're doing something wrong. She's not saving anyone's life suggesting they mix sardines and tomatoes and serve it with rice. If all you have is sardines, canned Toms and rice that's what you'll do anyway.

Have an early night and a bit of lie in, Jack. Do some yoga. Sip some Peace tea. Calm yourself asaaaalllllll the way doooooooowwwwn and life will feel better, you'll experience less panic and anxiety and That Man will cease to be a weird obsession for you.

• Haha
  • Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
So she's been carrying on begging for money all while she had a TV show in the works.

She wasn't poor before covid-19 and she's made a shit load of money since it.

Ghastly unscrupulous dishonest woman. Glad I stopped paying for the BBC 10 years ago. They're so right on in their bubble that this isn't a huge shock.

She'll be getting a car to pick her up just like this morning do and will get into London (do they film it at Shepards bush?) In record time as even with a harsher lockdown as all broadcasters are apparently essential.

Reactions: 30

maytoseptember

VIP Member
I’m really appalled by the wording she used.

“I can say confidently this wouldn't have happened without you all and the absolute STINK you kicked up demanding I have a show.”

Just... the sheer entitlement and ego of her. Not a single ounce of humility or decency.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 30

Gentlemensrelish

Chatty Member
NO ONE
-is poorer
- works harder
- has faced more adversity
- is generally more hard done by

Than jack monroe.
If you're working 90 hours a week and not making ends meet, you probably need to re-evaluate your life choices.

Also, her Mrs will make around 80 grand. I wouldn't want to have to live off my partner, but I'd rather that than ask vulnerable people on Twitter for money.

Reactions: 29

Kofi Annan

I had a massive dingdong with her on Twitter over the firefighters strike that took place years ago. Since then I've always watched from a distance and remain very suspicious of Jack.
Things for me just don't add up.
Jack wrote in great detail about the poverty her and her young son faced, due to the Tories, and it was real heartbreaking stuff. Yet, this week she wrote a big 'thank you' article to her son's father. I just can't buy into Jack.
And I find her very aggressive on Twitter.

Reactions: 29

Yel

Chatty Member
She's probably carefully hidden her address to hide her many lies.

So many deleted tweets, thankfully lots are uploaded here.

She's deleted nearly 46'000 posts on twitter since last week. Probably as part of an audit and cleanup for this BBC show.

monroe-deleting.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28

Yel

Chatty Member
Someone needs to take her phone away from her.

Does she think out of all of the TV stations are there is just going to be one budget cooking show while we go through the hardest recession in most of our lives? 🤦‍♀️

If she had any ability why doesn't she do YouTube video recipes to showcase her skills? She's got a few videos and they seem like an awkward teenager. It's a lot of work to do a whole series and there is no time to waste on a presenter that's very shit. As said if it takes her 20 hours to prepare for 5 minutes of screen time and she still does a crap job that's why no one will touch her.

I'm ready to sing with Beyonce, but is Beyonce ready to sing with me? 🤪

• Haha
  • Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Not surprising at all that she's telling people to be better and not clobber other people on twitter.

But still it's astounding she takes a holier than thou stance 😵

View attachment 102999
Omg the hypocrisy. So Jamie Oliver's news, and his good positive service was used as a baton to clobber him and that was OK.
Now she is going to be on television of course everybody has to #be kind. I hope JO writes an article stating 'how we all guffawed at Jack going um and ah and thinking Opal Fruits on toast was a meal'.

• Haha

Gentlemensrelish

Chatty Member
I see that due to the "incredible, and often moving" response from viewers, Jamie is continuing with the 'carry on' episodes, by filming at home with his iPhone. Someone's going to be pissed... 😂
I'm watching it now. It's amazing. A dishevelled, wide-eyed man cooking veg in what is clearly his spare kitchen, talking to an iPhone. It's like he's had a breakdown and his family are helping him through it by pretending he's still famous. 10/10, would watch again.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
On Twitter yesterday she was telling her followers that she didn't have house insurance because of the trauma of once being poor. Nobody calls her out on this type of statement, very hard to believe that a couple on the combined income of her and her partner with phones, laptops etc wouldn't have insurance? Yet everyone seems to swallow what she says without question.
I mean, I'm going to guess that at least one of them owns that house (as she'd have plenty of complaints about any landlord she had?) so I'd assume they at the very least have building's insurance as most lenders ask for it? & at that point it's only a bit extra for contents, most people's policies are £15-20 a month? We've had to insure quite a few high ticket items under our policy and that's 'only' £37 a month which for the cover we get inside & outside the house is fucking incredible really.

I just find her portrayal of poverty so weird, I have CPTSD from growing up in poverty with MH parents and I prize financial security (insurances, reliable income, savings) and am a chronic ppl pleaser as a result, I find her really antagonistic and the complete opposite of that which makes it hard for me to believe her. I feel bad saying that but nothing adds up with her, it's so odd...

Reactions: 27