Jack Monroe #88 Jack, sell the Emin!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Keeping it real in the comments section, just like all self-respecting food writers do. Historical gems available by clicking name, but not recommended.

MsJackMonroe
11 Dec 2013 14:14

You know 100g of dried butter beans swells to about 300g when soaked? And for the record, I don't have a 'sedentary' job. Jesus. I hardly ever sit down, I'm always rushing somewhere! I don't blog for a living by the way...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
Admin’s off furlough then (I still don’t understand why she needs an admin and how she still seems to produce no work whatsoever)

Also wtf
why are her and her squiggles acting like the PR company did something wrong? A simple “no thank(space)you” would suffice

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
For anyone new who isn't sure why some vegans (and non-vegans) find her U-turn on veganism without explanation so offensive, here are her thoughts on going vegan in her very own words: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/28/jack-monroe-meat-vegan-food-ingredients
Well...that article is littered with ridiculous quotes but I though I’d leave you with this before I scamper off to work (I’M BUSY)

“I won’t be throwing out my new Dr Martens boots, or my sexy-as-hell biker jacket, or my tight leather pants that were so 2013” 🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 37
I've had the rage this morning, but these old articles have cheered me up no end!

the sulky teenager byline photo has always made me hoot!

and then I get a nice sentient mirror ad in the middle

Screenshot_20201015-094106_Chrome.jpg

and yes, a guardian staffer went btl to confirm the butter beans should in fact be left to simmer for an hour! 🤪

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
*Hypothetically speaking* (cool your jets Jack, this is a general query)

If someone is diagnosed with ADHD by the NHS, could they then take their letter (we got one for my son’s autism diagnosis) to a private Psychiatrist/Doctor and they could prescribe medication, with you going back to them for a prescription every time you need it? Or would you go through your GP?

What would be the process if the person hadn’t been diagnosed by the NHS, are there private Psychiatrists who would diagnose and prescribe without this?

I don’t want to put you on the spot @formalchicken, if anyone knows I would be interested. I understand the entire healthcare system in America is different (I see it every day, with me being a veteran NYPD Detective) but if the latter scenario can happen then it looks to me to be a bit like if you have money, you can get anything. So obviously that can’t be what Jack is doing as she’s really poor.
Someone might have answered this, but my experience was strictly NHS and the psych diagnosed and prescribed then the GP took over the repeat prescription and I have 3 monthly reviews with them for blood pressure etc and annual check ups with the psych.

If you are diagnosed privately you then have to get the prescriptions done privately I think, which certainly explains why JM was paying such an exorbitant amount for hers whilst mine cost under a tenner.

Private ADHD centres will basically diagnose and prescribe what you want, from the experiences I've read in the UK support groups, and it is expensive.

I imagine if you took an NHS diagnosis to a private psych they could give you meds, but I'm not sure about the other way around.

Reactions: 11
What does her Admin Assistant do? She doesn't run her social media, write down recipes, help with the tax return or take packages to the post office.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
why are her and her squiggles acting like the PR company did something wrong? A simple “no thank(space)you” would suffice
Exactly! I got a menu for an Indian takeaway through my letterbox yesterday, should I write them an email explaining exactly why I SHAN’T be ordering and it’s in the recycling now? Bizarre behaviour, would love to have this much spare time and emotion to spend on this banal tit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Someone might have answered this, but my experience was strictly NHS and the psych diagnosed and prescribed then the GP took over the repeat prescription and I have 3 monthly reviews with them for blood pressure etc and annual check ups with the psych.

If you are diagnosed privately you then have to get the prescriptions done privately I think, which certainly explains why JM was paying such an exorbitant amount for hers whilst mine cost under a tenner.

Private ADHD centres will basically diagnose and prescribe what you want, from the experiences I've read in the UK support groups, and it is expensive.

I imagine if you took an NHS diagnosis to a private psych they could give you meds, but I'm not sure about the other way around.
Thanks @PunkyMonkey!

Reactions: 7
We generally don’t use amphetamines as such in the U.K. (on the NHS) to treat ADHD (Ritalin and concerta are chemicals with a similar make up but not amphetamines per se).
I agree with the statement above though in terms of her behaviour as opposed to the calmness Ritalin is meant to be having.
Thank you both!

Reactions: 8
For anyone new who isn't sure why some vegans (and non-vegans) find her U-turn on veganism without explanation so offensive, here are her thoughts on going vegan in her very own words: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/28/jack-monroe-meat-vegan-food-ingredients
The guardian have to bear a lot of the blame for encouraging the production of this embarrassing cack. She'd been (sort of) vegan for four weeks when they published this preachy claptrap.

It is just the biggest pile of over dramatised nonsense. The book she was reading " quietly drew a line in the sand" for her and made her give up meat until five minutes later when she's shovelling chicken pie down her gullet.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 51
Keeping it real in the comments section, just like all self-respecting food writers do. Historical gems available by clicking name, but not recommended.

MsJackMonroe

You know 100g of dried butter beans swells to about 300g when soaked? And for the record, I don't have a 'sedentary' job. Jesus. I hardly ever sit down, I'm always rushing somewhere! I don't blog for a living by the way...

The Guardian days were when I first started to doubt Jack. Her meals were always so tit-looking, with such small portions, and bizarre steps (we've thrashed out the onion thing many times).

Then she started going BTL to defend herself, and it just got so messy. That sedentary comment, for example. Not a moral judgement, just a statement of fact. Most people in modern western Europe do sedentary jobs - it doesn't mean lazy, or not mentally taxing, or anything else. I WFH at the moment, on a computer. My job is sedentary, and I need to make sure I do enough activity in the course of a day to make up for this. Such is life.

Amazingly, there were even Jackolytes back then, as this comment shows:

And what exactly is "sedentary" about raising a small boy, working a job or two, as well as putting heart and soul into fighting for decent lives for those marginalized by devastating policies?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
I think you should do some sort of countdown on the livers.
"It has been -- days since we saw the livers.."
This reminds me of when a guy called Pastor Maldonado was driving in F1. He tended to crash. A lot. So much so, there was a website called "has maldonado crashed today dot com" and all is was was a yes or a no with the time since his last crash. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 37

MsJackMonroe

Ah I love this gem, has a relative who did a stint in the military do obvs she's "military around the edges" and everyone has told her so dammit! 😂

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
You can't 'eat mostly vegan' - you're either vegan or you're not! I was thinking, if she wanted lots of Youtube views, she could make a 'Why I'm no longer vegan' video, but obvs she can't because she's still 'mostly vegan' :rolleyes:
The reason why she didn’t get properly dragged by the vegan community is because nobody really took her seriously to begin with. Signed, 🔺the only meat eater in a group of vegan friends, getting regularly dragged for the occasional organic hamburger 🔺

Reactions: 26
This reminds me of when a guy called Pastor Maldonado was driving in F1. He tended to crash. A lot. So much so, there was a website called "has maldonado crashed today dot com" and all is was was a yes or a no with the time since his last crash. :ROFLMAO:
Ah Crashtor! I have a Lotus top signed by him hanging in my wardrobe 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.