Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lobster Johnson

Chatty Member
I had to find this article in its entirety (no Torygraph paywall for me) and it's here:

I understand the points ninnies are making with regard to Jack. Xanthe Clay is an accomplished food writer with many years' experience and she has a better attitude to research and recipe testing than Jack, for sure.

However, my hackles were raised immediately by the blurb for this piece saying you could eat healthily and maybe lose weight for £26/ week.

A very clickbaity approach that, when you read on, is just more of the same claptrap about budget cooking that so many other middle class food writers spout.

For one thing, she claims this is a full 7-day mealplan but the economics don't quite add up.

For breakfast, she suggests baking your own bread but then she doesn't cost any other ingredients like the eggs she recommends you eat it with.

Likewise, she suggests making your own yoghurt -- okay, that's fine at a push -- but then doesn't cost the fruit and toppings she suggests to make it more interesting.

Also, the £26 is supposed to be for one person but all the recipes are for 4 people. So, if you're one or two people in a household, these costings don't work. Unless you bake one loaf and only eat a quarter of it over a week's breakfasts and lunches. Really?

A lot of what she's proposing involves making things from scratch -- bread, yoghurt, stocks etc -- which isn't great for people who are time poor or who have limited cooking facilities (like I do, in shitty temporary accommodation). And, while she loves organic homemade yoghurt, she wants us to all give up meat except for turkey legs because organic, free range is too costly. You have to run your oven a lot to bake bread, roast turkey and beetroot too.

There's nothing much here for harassed family cooks catering for fussy eaters. No suggestions about how to swop out ingredients that are increasingly unaffordable (like butter or olive oil). No sweets or snacks at all. Just a lot of overnight oats, lentils and abstemiousness. No convenience foods like baked beans that really help to stretch budgets and fill tummies.

Her point about weight loss? This isn't supported at all by what she's recommending here -- just clickbait to lure you into the article.

She's not giving Monroesque absurd economics of costing half an onion and a teaspoon of spice but there's no real substance here and little understanding of what it takes to eat well on very little money.

This is just one more middle class foodie telling the povs to eat turkey legs and lentils every day. I'd lose weight too if I had to face that.

Sorry, Xanthe, I'm out.
hey, I’ve successfully lost 10kg this year on the stress and poverty diet.

I wouldn’t recommend it and your mileage may vary. I’m super happy to have started a job last week and the first thing I’m doing when I get paid is going out to eat. A lot.

• Heart
Reactions: 69

FlowerOfTheEast

VIP Member
Can one of you who is in the comments club tell her the P D James was the first British woman to hang glide over the Irish Sea, and see if she tweets it?

• Haha
Reactions: 68

MurielSnark

VIP Member
Huge admiration for the canal immediately starting to research the seasonal appearance of bluebells in the Southend microclimate.

• Haha
Reactions: 68

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
Not these two images one after the other! This is why Tattle and Mumsnet should never cross streams.

IMG_5528.jpeg

I blame that Jack Monroe… remember her?

• Haha
Reactions: 67

Valiofthedolls

VIP Member
Geoff Capes! Giant Haystacks! Daley Thompson invented hang gliding! #NeverForget (insert convenient attention-getting bandwagon du jour here)! USA dairy products! TOOT TOOT! The footy! ouchy! sober! Steven Gerrard! doggo! flowers! Enid Blyton! #notlikeothergirls YAY for homeowning Tories! LOOKATMEEXESANDHATERZ!!!! LIVINGMYBESTEVERLIFE!!!!!

fuuuuuuuuuking hell. Tedious twat. That’s it. I’m out. Someone let me know when she shuts up and fucks off again.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 65

moldwarp

VIP Member
Going back to the end of the last thread - I don't think I've ever come across anybody who has tried to make so much social capital out of being briefly in (and being very bad at, from all the available evidence) a job as Jack has done the Fire Service.

I mean I think someone here worked out that she was there for what, barely a year? And reading between the lines was seen as a shirker, and so poorly valued that even though her dad was by all accounts a long time and trusted employee, they refused to rescind her resignation.

It takes a high level of emotional imaturity to align one's social brand with a youthful job that didn't last long enough to build up any real knowledge or expertise. I mean I used to knock on doors for the Labour party (back when they were...actually a decent party). That doesn't mean I get to claim that I'm the reincarnation of Clement frickin Attlee.

• Haha
  • Heart

kachoochoo

VIP Member
so, you're just letting other people tell you things and make out like it's your own discovery then jack?

IMG_20240414_172634.jpg

IMG_20240414_172655.jpg

*also "heavy" cream, the americanisms sure are BACK

• Sick
  • Haha

MurielSnark

VIP Member
Loving this for her 🤣

Jack, if you‘re reading here (and we know you are), go look up ‘shade’.

View attachment 2879148
I had to find this article in its entirety (no Torygraph paywall for me) and it's here:

I understand the points ninnies are making with regard to Jack. Xanthe Clay is an accomplished food writer with many years' experience and she has a better attitude to research and recipe testing than Jack, for sure.

However, my hackles were raised immediately by the blurb for this piece saying you could eat healthily and maybe lose weight for £26/ week.

A very clickbaity approach that, when you read on, is just more of the same claptrap about budget cooking that so many other middle class food writers spout.

For one thing, she claims this is a full 7-day mealplan but the economics don't quite add up.

For breakfast, she suggests baking your own bread but then she doesn't cost any other ingredients like the eggs she recommends you eat it with.

Likewise, she suggests making your own yoghurt -- okay, that's fine at a push -- but then doesn't cost the fruit and toppings she suggests to make it more interesting.

Also, the £26 is supposed to be for one person but all the recipes are for 4 people. So, if you're one or two people in a household, these costings don't work. Unless you bake one loaf and only eat a quarter of it over a week's breakfasts and lunches. Really?

A lot of what she's proposing involves making things from scratch -- bread, yoghurt, stocks etc -- which isn't great for people who are time poor or who have limited cooking facilities (like I do, in shitty temporary accommodation). And, while she loves organic homemade yoghurt, she wants us to all give up meat except for turkey legs because organic, free range is too costly. You have to run your oven a lot to bake bread, roast turkey and beetroot too.

There's nothing much here for harassed family cooks catering for fussy eaters. No suggestions about how to swop out ingredients that are increasingly unaffordable (like butter or olive oil). No sweets or snacks at all. Just a lot of overnight oats, lentils and abstemiousness. No convenience foods like baked beans that really help to stretch budgets and fill tummies.

Her point about weight loss? This isn't supported at all by what she's recommending here -- just clickbait to lure you into the article.

She's not giving Monroesque absurd economics of costing half an onion and a teaspoon of spice but there's no real substance here and little understanding of what it takes to eat well on very little money.

This is just one more middle class foodie telling the povs to eat turkey legs and lentils every day. I'd lose weight too if I had to face that.

Sorry, Xanthe, I'm out.

• Heart
  • Sad

rage naan

VIP Member
how very dare you, that potato is DISABLED. monkeys!

I thought it might be fun to revisit the dire potatoes so I took myself off to thread 404. but I got distracted by yorkshires. We all know the "cracking" hockey puck yorkshires

Screenshot_20240409-142028.png

and the hockey puck with embedded dog turd ones

Screenshot_20240409-142509.png

but I hadn't heard the hilaaaarious story of the ones that fail when she makes them for someone else's husband that she shouldn't be flirting with

Screenshot_20240409-141749.png

if the top one is a cracking one in her opinion then what the fuck must the failures look like? post it notes? communion wafers? do they exist in only two dimensions?

also how can you fail at a Yorkshire? I mean literally it's possible as the above 2 pics prove, but I mean how can you be so fucking stupid? you're a cook. they're incredibly simple and easy to make. you should understand how they work and if you don't there's 10 million free resources to tell you. I'd find it harder to make those weird pale pastry cases than a proper Yorkshire.

as for the idiotic comment about the kids dad: think maybe his are only as bad as hers ( how could they be worse) but she has cognitive dissonance and can't see it. she looks at hers and sees lovely puffy browned successes. she's beyond help

also this utter cringe was on theat thread

Screenshot_20240409-140808.png

chatting pony
bet yo ass I'm gonna

I am scarlet with secondhand embarrassment from two years ago. Oh my god

• Haha
Reactions: 64

MooBelle

VIP Member
how very dare you, that potato is DISABLED. monkeys!

I thought it might be fun to revisit the dire potatoes so I took myself off to thread 404. but I got distracted by yorkshires. We all know the "cracking" hockey puck yorkshires

View attachment 2865348

and the hockey puck with embedded dog turd ones

View attachment 2865349

but I hadn't heard the hilaaaarious story of the ones that fail when she makes them for someone else's husband that she shouldn't be flirting with

View attachment 2865351

if the top one is a cracking one in her opinion then what the fuck must the failures look like? post it notes? communion wafers? do they exist in only two dimensions?

also how can you fail at a Yorkshire? I mean literally it's possible as the above 2 pics prove, but I mean how can you be so fucking stupid? you're a cook. they're incredibly simple and easy to make. you should understand how they work and if you don't there's 10 million free resources to tell you. I'd find it harder to make those weird pale pastry cases than a proper Yorkshire.

as for the idiotic comment about the kids dad: think maybe his are only as bad as hers ( how could they be worse) but she has cognitive dissonance and can't see it. she looks at hers and sees lovely puffy browned successes. she's beyond help

also this utter cringe was on theat thread

View attachment 2865376

chatting pony
bet yo ass I'm gonna

I am scarlet with secondhand embarrassment from two years ago. Oh my god
That yorkie comment about SBs dad is her way of telling his (very recently separated at that time) ex wife that they were cooking together and eating meals together.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 64

kachoochoo

VIP Member
have we seen this where she's replied to liz jones?

it's like hooting at sarah vine's curtains all over again

IMG_20240414_171121.jpg

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 63