Jack Monroe #525 Professionally, she is a laughing stock (cube)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It may be a petty point to some but don't tell us how proud you are of your smidgeon of Greek Cypriot heritage if you shed the Greek Cypriot family name by deed poll in your early 20s. My maiden surname revealed my ethnicity with a cursory google if anyone gave a tit and I was very proud of it. I suppose you could argue I should have then kept it after marriage but I think there's a difference between that sort of a traditional change and a rejection of it by deed poll. To me that says you think you're too special to be contained by your ancestors name.
I always wonder if her name change was an “edgy” choice inspired by the members of Marilyn Manson but she got it the wrong way round.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I always wonder if her name change was an “edgy” choice inspired by the members of Marilyn Manson but she got it the wrong way round.
She's actually said it was inspired by 'Jack of all trades', which is not a compliment the clown, and Marilyn. Cheeky iceberg ego fucker! Marilyn was a unique talent and a once in a generation blend of vulnerability and smouldering sexuality. Jack is.....very much not.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
She's actually said it was inspired by 'Jack of all trades', which is not a compliment the clown, and Marilyn. Cheeky iceberg ego fucker! Marilyn was a unique talent and a once in a generation blend of vulnerability and smouldering sexuality. Jack is.....very much not.
She's told a variety of stories about the name. In some versions she says she wanted to change it when she was at the fire service but could not. In other versions she said it was a pseudonym to write her blog under so her parents would not know. In some versions Jack is a childhood nickname and in others she gained it later in life. As with everything with her, all the stories contradict.

Reactions: 42
One of the few bits of credit I’ll give her is I do think Jack suits her and is quite an effective and memorable ‘stage’ name. However I’ve never understood her changing her second name. She so loves anything she can cling to that makes her a little bit different and having a non British hard to spell second name surely plays right into that.

Reactions: 32
One of the few bits of credit I’ll give her is I do think Jack suits her and is quite an effective and memorable ‘stage’ name. However I’ve never understood her changing her second name. She so loves anything she can cling to that makes her a little bit different and having a non British hard to spell second name surely plays right into that.
She said she regretted her name change not long ago didn't she?
Wonder if she'd ever consider changing back?

Reactions: 18
Etsy's a commercial enterprise though, and should make money for hosting the platform - I don't have an issue with that. Sellers set their own postage fees, there's pressure from Etsy to offer 'free' postage but sellers don't have to, they get charged a sales fee on postage prices so if anything sellers are encouraged by the pricing model to inflate these costs to cover their outlay. The margins and risk levels for small producers are still better than wholesale or setting up a website, sales funnel, targeted ads, buying terrible advice or coaching packages from Etsy gurus etc.

What I have a problem with is a refusal to clamp down on resellers, forgeries and stolen goods when it has traded on being a 'handmade' platform - an impression it still gives in its latest TV adverts. You kind of expect it on ebay, Facebook marketplace and Vinted because they're mostly aimed at anyone, personal or commercial sellers, getting rid of secondhand or surplus items asap, for almost instant cash. NOTHS, as another example, has always been honest with its sellers about putting profit before authenticity, made it clear they wanted factory output and resellers who could produce at scale, and vetted them to fit their seasonal style guides from the start. I don't think this is always obvious to buyers, who might think they're getting handmade items, but that's going off topic.

But I do think these platforms have a responsibility to be transparent to the public because if you don't know about online commerce, then you might not understand what you're buying, who you're buying it from, whether it's a fair price, how packaging and delivery costs are factored in to the price you pay, which company will actually be delivering it, and what your rights are. A lot of times, that doesn't really matter, but when it goes wrong for the customer, I think it's better to have an obvious route to redress.

For me, the parallel between Etsy and Patreon is that they started out building a reputation as a unique platform for promoting genuine creative output and now seem to have pivoted to 'and scammers, as long as they stay under the radar', and are firmly on their way to 'fraud is not the platform's responsibility, take it up with the creator'.

If I ran Etsy (as in the platform) and wanted to protect it as a brand, I'd permaban anyone with the word 'dupe' in a listing, for a start. And if I ran Patreon, anyone who hadn't delivered in 3 months without pausing subs would be muted, thoroughly investigated and appropriate action taken. Because I'd think that behaviour reflected badly on the integrity of my platform, and would lose me revenue in the long run. It baffles me that they don't see this. Or they see it and don't care. Reminds me of someone else, that attitude.
I miss Regretsy! They were great at calling out crappy resellers. Unfortunately, Etsy is doing well at the moment because they’re good at SEO and if you look up something very niche (I was once searching for a gift for a farmer and they had all sorts of personalised tat), there’s likely to be something relevant on the platform. I’ve always thought the cheap Chinese crap would kill them off but it’s been going on for a long time now and they really don’t care. They’ll continue to be a more expensive Aliexpress I guess. But it has killed their reputation.

Same with Patreon. I don’t think they’ll ever really give a tit about scams other than the really obvious ones because the cash keeps rolling in. Of course long term, if someone sets up a competitor, they could possibly be fucked. I think a lot of casual creators seem to prefer kofi nowadays as there’s less pressure to deliver on a schedule.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Probably not a popular opinion but I think that her parents and previous partners bear some responsibility for the continuing grift.
Perhaps they have and did challenge her?
She's an adult but surely they've noticed the spenny items and money coming in for little or no effort.
In the case of her parents they live nearby and visit her?
There would be sirens going off in my head if I'd seen my daughter pleading poverty online on numerous occasions and popped 'round during a delivery of another Cotswold or a designer dog appearing on the scene.
Sometimes things just don't add up when confronted with the evidence.
Does she lie and concoct overly elaborate stories to cover her tracks to her nearest and dearest too?
What a way to live your life.
I'm intrigued.
I suspect the second bit is correct: anyone who challenges her behaviour is treated very badly or removed from her life. Her family wouldn't want to lose contact with the kid, and her younger siblings wouldn't realize the extent of her problems yet. So any challenge will be gentle, a nudge rather than an argument. Her prior partners likely left when the behaviour became erratic or intolerable.

It's not easy to challenge people when their behaviour is so bad. A former friend literally stopped talking to me & a couple of others one day. Then proceeded to tell anyone who would listen that I'm not a nice person. If the narc is loud & confident, people find it hard to challenge, and tricky conversations are cut off, and you are made to feel like you are wrong for asking.

Each chaos brings new doubters. Some to Tattle! Each chaos seems to remove an avenue of work. DKL really damaged her tv career, then she compounded it with This Morning & more recently Lorraine. There are loads of programs on with guest cooks / campaigners / authors. I think she was on Sunday Brunch once? They have 3 hours of tv for 45 weeks a year and she can't get a 5 minute slot to cook a cheap meal or promote a book. Even the news slots are less frequent. No brand deals since Superdrug which started with a goats leg bang and was never seen again.

Grifty Kitchen update: not to be seen in Waterstones or The Works today. Plenty of Jamie, Nigella, Miguel etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Jack is exactly the type of basic bleep to think that liking Marilyn Monroe is (yet another) stand in for having a personality.

This isn’t meant as shade against MM or anyone who genuinely enjoys her work or her as an icon, but rather the type of people who use her image to bolster themselves in some way, and are no better than the people who used and exploited her while she was still alive.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I’ve always thought the cheap Chinese crap would kill them off but it’s been going on for a long time now and they really don’t care. They’ll continue to be a more expensive Aliexpress I guess. But it has killed their reputation.
it’s the same middle class guilt that Jack relies on. The ethical/moral issues around aliexpress, wish, shein , Temu etc are well publicised. People may know that they could buy items cheaper if they buy them directly, but by getting them through a seller on Etsy, whose listed the same item for an inflated price, wrapped it nicely in tissue paper and stuck a “ thank you for your order “ cutesy sticker on, from a shopfront that uses words like hand finished and small business, with product images on wholesome rustic wooden kitchen tables ( aka backgrounds from canva ) , they get to feel like they’ve made a good moral choice . Jack is aliexpress , churning out the same story of poverty, behind the scenes campaigning and flickering lights/mentals/sobriety, with no real pride in her “ work” so long as it gets her sideboards and praise .The Guardian etc have packaged her up and presented her to its readers , who want to feel they are doing good, but don’t really want to put any effort in. And who like supporting the kind of behind the scenes campaigning that looks good to support, but won’t achieve any changes that might impact their own financial position ( be it through tax increases, price rises to cover higher wages etc )

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Part 6 & THE END

Two types of arthritis because she’s special
Waffle waffle yawn yawn
Didn’t want her name on reports she was consulted on
She’s the only one recording this
The memoir is going to be a riot
Access to power, heavily tattooed, lesbian, working class, disabled, ex benefit claimant, single mother, on the spectrum………but she remembers where she came from.
Can’t talk about the stuff she has done.
“Best mate” made her list the stuff she had done, New Start Vouchers, National Food Plan…..
Voice breaking…..Neighbours don’t talk to her because she rents and doesn’t have a Tesla. It’s not because I’m a bad person. Be better.
Her one goal is to eradicate poverty. Fill her pockets.
Voice breaking….I nearly didn’t come tonight.
THE END

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 49
Do you think that she's been frank and earnest [resists the urge to use The Long Kiss Goodnight joke] with anyone about the mess that she's in?
I can't see her being honest with anyone even if she was required to give full disclosure if she had sought legal advice.

Reactions: 15
...by getting them through a seller on Etsy, whose listed the same item for an inflated price, wrapped it nicely in tissue paper and stuck a “ thank you for your order “ cutesy sticker on, from a shopfront that uses words like hand finished and small business, with product images on wholesome rustic wooden kitchen tables ( aka backgrounds from canva ) , they get to feel like they’ve made a good moral choice...
it’s the same middle class guilt that Jack relies on. The ethical/moral issues around aliexpress, wish, shein , Temu etc are well publicised. People may know that they could buy items cheaper if they buy them directly, but by getting them through a seller on Etsy, whose listed the same item for an inflated price, wrapped it nicely in tissue paper and stuck a “ thank you for your order “ cutesy sticker on, from a shopfront that uses words like hand finished and small business, with product images on wholesome rustic wooden kitchen tables ( aka backgrounds from canva ) , they get to feel like they’ve made a good moral choice...
Always love it when a Frau nails it. As usual a hearty laugh could be heard, too.

Reactions: 13
Just mithering (My - ther - ing) about the BBC presenter allegedly paying a minor oodles of spondoolies for pics. Names are being bandied around the Hellsite and apparently some people are threatening to sue but there are a flurry of people wondering how these people will be able to trace the people making the accusations. Obviously they need someone with a special set of skills to 'triangulate' the perpetrators.

Guest, got a job for you pal.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I have had wine and brandy so I’m apologising in advance if this comes off as rude. I know your are not wrong but I hate the fact that she picked Jack . That’s my eldests name and I absolutely love it and I feel she has tainted all jacks by nicking it. Jacks are quirky and boisterous and cool and she ain’t that . Right I’m off to get a train out of celery town and I bid you a good evening . Sent with love ❤

Edit to say also I have sucked up cocktails also

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Do you think that she's been frank and earnest [resists the urge to use The Long Kiss Goodnight joke] with anyone about the mess that she's in?
I can't see her being honest with anyone even if she was required to give full disclosure if she had sought legal advice.
She’s have to be honest with herself first and I don’t think that’s happened for a very long time. I binge listened to Scamanda this week and there are so many similarities to guest and all the other grifters. Including the fear of what she will do if anyone challenges her.
It also made me do a lot angry muttering because 2012, when Amanda started her blog, was the year a very close friend died from the same cancer. The idea that someone would lie to that extent is unfathomable but guest really isn’t too far off and I’m sure if she had the discipline to really apply herself to the grift she too could end up in prison.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
She said she regretted her name change not long ago didn't she?
Wonder if she'd ever consider changing back?
It’s a shame she didn’t keep it because then she could blame her lack of success on the white wing media who didn’t want someone with a foreign name on the telly. Instead she’s had to blame it on being a tattooed, non binary single mum or whatever.

Reactions: 21
Didn’t want her name on reports she was consulted on

Can’t talk about the stuff she has done.
Well no wonder you never get any work if you can't point to any that you've done before. No doubt we're supposed think going uncredited is a sign of humility and her charitable nature, but it's pointlessly doing yourself out of credit (I know she didn't actually do any of this work, but just pretend for the sake of argument) and given that people from marginalised groups often have their work appopriated and used without credit or payment should such a poor deprived smol pixie really be doing this to herself and further spreading the idea that to expect credit for your skills and knowledge is "a bit gauche, darling"?

I'm not mad on her behalf because she's actually done duck-all and can't talk about it because it doesn't exist and she'd have to make claims that were easily disproved but if a working-class disabled single-mother really was doing all this behind-the-scenes work and carefully covering her tattoos to remain anonymous before vanishing into the mist I'd tell them they're hurting themselves for no reason with this nonsense and also potentially harming others who may think they too have to refuse credit or payment for their work.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.